• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Isle of Armor & The Crown Tundra DLC - RUMOR & SPECULATION Thread [Spoilers]

EmeraldArcanine

#TeamScorbunny
I'm not following the notion of GF running out of Pokemon ideas because there's no way TO run out of ideas. There's too many concepts and whatnot and species they haven't used yet. There's many species of EVERYTHING that can even breathe in the world and many that aren't, and stuff can be made up on the fly to be made into a Pokemon (Pikachu's original concept was a "daifuku-like creature with ears" people! Like, that thing came from a food? Who woulda guessed it??), as long as that's a fact, they have more than enough to use, along with folklores and other stuff that would be bizarre to touch on yet interesting as hell.

Less Pokemon SHOWN =/= Less Pokemon in general. They probably very likely have everything in that area done already as the game does look rather finished and only needed some extra models for those Gigantamaxed forms of Pokemon who's assets are already there, but as we all know the new stuff's kept in the dark for surprise when we get the game. However, don't get me wrong, I'm tired of older mon's getting spotlight in marketing and in general as a whole (Charizard...... eugh...) and NEED a new Pokemon fix to keep my attention in terms of news and stuff, otherwise I won't bother and will see for myself when the games are finally out.

Creators/Developers/etc. are never running out of ideas, even if the concepts they give are what you believe are stupid or pointless, it's still bringing something new gameplay-wise to the table either way, and there's a chance SOMEONE will like them.

Last edited:

axelme

yeah, i dont buy that they're running out of ideas. there are so many animals and concepts not explored yet.there are also thousands upon thousands of fakemon out there. dont tell me the team that designs pokemon for the games cant come up with more ideas. so why the smaller amounts of new pokemon?.i dont know but it does concern me that this could be our smallest group yet .

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
We don't know that at this point, since so little has been revealed. Might just come down to them wanting to surprise us. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

axelme

LOL well alright then!

EDIT: I hate to say it, but the complete lack of knowledge thus far kinda makes me believe the leak about 73 pokemon. We're a month away from release now and honestly know very little. That means either

A) There are very few pokemon and don't want to spoil everything, so the 73 new pokemon rumor is true

B) They're doing their best to be so tight-lipped that they don't want anything known until the day of release

I'll hope for option B, but I'm kinda feeling like A is more likely. The leaker may have been missing some stuff, but he did cover himself by saying he was going by memory. I-by no means- want to believe that they're only adding 73 new pokemon, but the lack of news kinda supports that a little bit.

Fingers crossed for something...anything....to come out and prove that wrong. I'd love at least 100 new guys (even if it included Galarian forms at this point).
im trying to be optimistic here and say that they are scaling back information because for generation 7 we knew a lot of pokemon by this point . maybe they feel they revealed to much and dont want to do that here. but im concerned we are getting a small new group and if galar forms are included in that....wow. we could see around just 50-60 iriginal new pokemon

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
yeah, i dont buy that they're running out of ideas. there are so many animals and concepts not explored yet.there are also thousands upon thousands of fakemon out there. dont tell me the team that designs pokemon for the games cant come up with more ideas. so why the smaller amounts of new pokemon?.i dont know but it does concern me that this could be our smallest group yet .
Some think it's due to the silly concept of "Quality over quanity" and other reasons well I don't know! But honestly I hate the quality over quantity thought because 1) It's subjective and 2) If you can't remember em all that's on you!

axelme

Some think it's due to the silly concept of "Quality over quanity" and other reasons well I don't know! But honestly I hate the quality over quantity thought because 1) It's subjective and 2) If you can't remember em all that's on you!

yeah but thats only an argument of there's actual quality in the group we get. alola's new pokemon were, for the most part pretty darn underwhelming so...

Orphalesion

I've made my misgivings about the "surprise" thing pretty clear by this point (I don't want it, I see PLENTY wrong with it, I want a datamine etc) so that aside...

I agree that there's a huge number of concepts and animals that haven't been used for Pokemon yet.

And also, let's not forget that the same animal can be an inspiration for many different Pokemon (Solgaleo and Pyroar, Wooloo and Mareep, the millions of dogs etc. etc. etc.)

But at the same time, the last two, very very small, gens don't exactly fill me with confidence on the number of new Pokemon in SwSh. So I understand the worry that some have that there might not be a lot to show.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I can personally think of two reasons why we haven’t gotten than many new Pokémon:
  • The last time we got a large roster was when we had to use only new Pokémon for Gen V & look how well that went by the fans. They’re probably keeping new Pokémon rosters small to avoid that possibility, while creating new forms partly to keep older Pokémon relevant
  • They were more than likely trying to avoid reaching 10000 Pokémon as much as possible since they took up so much space in the 3DS titles. One of the Game Informer interviews said they had to remove features from previous games in order to keep all of the Pokémon in

axelme

I can personally think of two reasons why we haven’t gotten than many new Pokémon:
  • The last time we got a large roster was when we had to use only new Pokémon for Gen V & look how well that went by the fans. They’re probably keeping new Pokémon rosters small to avoid that possibility, while creating new forms partly to keep older Pokémon relevant
  • They were more than likely trying to avoid reaching 10000 Pokémon as much as possible since they took up so much space in the 3DS titles. One of the Game Informer interviews said they had to remove features from previous games in order to keep all of the Pokémon in
i dont get the problem with having to use new pokemon. isnt that point of getting new games getting new pokemon to use.

Orphalesion

• They’re more than likely trying to avoid reaching 10000 Pokémon as soon as possible since they take up so much space in the 3DS titles. One of the Game Informer interviews said they had to remove features from previous games in order to keep all of the Pokémon in

They are both not very likely. People weren't angry at the number of new Pokemon in Unova, those people were angry because they couldn't use their old favourites until the post game.
Really Gen 5 was only 20 more Pokemon than Gen 3, and most of those 20 additonal ones were event legends of some kind.

And the 1000 Pokemon argument is pretty irrelevant now that dexit has been implemented and declared company policy
It's also not relevant because models don't take up that much space and there are already Switch cartridges with alrger data volume

I think the last two generations were smaller only because it's that much more difficult and time consuming to create a fully animated 3D model than it is to draw a sprite (even an animated one), hence the smaller number of new Pokemon, the pretty underwhelming animations we have seen in Gen 6 and 7 and Dexit in general.

i dont get the problem with having to use new pokemon. isnt that point of getting new games getting new pokemon to use.

Apparently some people just don't want new things, they want to use the same Pokemon over and over and over and over again.

Last edited:

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan

Everyone likes using new Pokemon, but they also like being able to use their favorites from past generations. Potentially not being able to do so is a big problem for a lot of people. If GameFreak really wanted to encourage people to use the new Pokemon, they'd do what they do in most games and make most of them unavailable until post-game. Either way Dexit is kind of the skeleton of a long-dead horse and I don't really see any point beating it any further, everything that can be said has been said at this point, and it's far too late to change anything anyways.

Marzbar

Or reason #3:

They lazy. And they know the games will sell well anyway. The Switch has a lot more power and memory than a 3DS, so in all honesty this should be the biggest entry of new Pokémon yet. But we’re actually getting less Pokémon than Gen 7!

EmeraldArcanine

#TeamScorbunny
Or reason #3:

They lazy. And they know the games will sell well anyway. The Switch has a lot more power and memory than a 3DS, so in all honesty this should be the biggest entry of new Pokémon yet. But we’re actually getting less Pokémon than Gen 7!
Can you stop? Everything you've said in this thread recently has been nothing but negative it's honestly pessimistic and overly cynical and whatnot. Can't you give ANYTHING positive to say about these games? At all? Nothing without deeming GF as lazy? =.=

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
Or reason #3:

Lazy? Really? Nah

Or they have recently become trapped in a yearly release cycle and are reluctant to expand.

But we’re actually getting less Pokémon than Gen 7!

If you mean new pokemon then we don't know that.

Orphalesion

It honestly seems to me like they never wanted to switch the main series to full 3D, or at least not with Gen 6. They might have been pushed into it. Just like they don't seem to want to create that "home console level game" that some players hope for just because the series is on the Switch now.

Marzbar

Can't you give ANYTHING positive to say about these games? At all? Nothing without deeming GF as lazy? =.=
Yep. I have posted heaps of positive things about the games. Which shows you don’t even read my posts. Perhaps not much positive things about the latest reveal admittedly. It’s also hard to post about these games when we’re not really getting any information about them. The release is less than a month away and I don’t even know which starter or which version I want.

EmeraldArcanine

#TeamScorbunny
Yep. I have posted heaps of positive things about the games. Which shows you don’t even read my posts. Perhaps not much positive things about the latest reveal admittedly. It’s also hard to post about these games when we’re not really getting any information about them. The release is less than a month away and I don’t even know which starter or which version I want.
I don't have time to go through over 209 and 600+ pages both in here and the general discussion to look for all your posts man, I'm not gonna see that you said anything positive from the getgo without going to your page, and even then the negative dominates for me. >3>

Everlasting

Everything stays.
I think the diminishing amount of Pokémon with each generation they tackle has more to do with the fact that this franchise will likely last for.... decades, still. They can't pump out 120+ new Pokémon and gimmicks that change Pokémon's appearances like Mega Evolutions and Dynamax to top it all off every 3 years. It would be quickly overwhelming and time consuming to get them all adapted to the new styles the Pokémon franchise is surely to acquire over the years and the consoles they become available on.
To me cutting out some species like they've done in Sword and Shield is the only solution to this never-ending cycle of adding a bunch of new Pokémon to the franchise. And I'm kind of hoping they keep on doing that if that means they COULD pump out over a hundred new Pokémon (not including forms) in new games until they feel comfortable allowing them all to exist within one pair of games. But that might be an unpopular opinion. It's just sooo appealing for someone who keeps their games contained and don't transfer anything from past generations. But man do I wish they could hit us with another 150 again. Generation V was good y'all. :rolleyes:

KKS-Lapras

• The last time we got a large roster was when we had to use only new Pokémon for Gen V & look how well that went by the fans.
Ironically, many of my favorite Pokemon came from Gen 5. I know there was vocal crowd that had issues with Gen 5, but I quite enjoyed that Gen. The Litwick line, Cryogonal, Durant, the Snivy line, and several others, I have great fondness for. Unfortunately nothing Game Freak does is going to satisfy everyone.

I really do wish people would stop bringing up the National Dex. We're far too close to these games now. I have no doubt a vast majority will enjoy the finished products once they come out.

My issue is strictly the marketing leading up to Gen 8 for the past 6 months, I personally feel it has been far too limited, and has been relying far too much on nostalgia.