• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon TCG: Sword & Shield Expansion - Discussion Thread

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
799px-SWSH1_Logo_EN.png

Pokemon TCG: Sword & Shield is the 87th Pokemon TCG expansion and is the very first expansion of the Sword & Shield TCG series, bringing in the new Pokemon of the Galar region in while also bringing in the usual new artwork, new card slates and also of course, brand new mechanics and changes that will have an impact on the gameplay such as the new V-cards or the noticeable increase in HP. So whether your very much into the gameplay or are just interested in the artwork, let's discuss the 87th expansion of the Pokemon Trading Card Game!

Some examples of the cards of SwSh below. It's already released in Japan as of Dec. 6th, so they got their Christmas present early. The English release is February 7, 2020. For more information, Serebii created a page for the Japanese and English release.

Sword (JPN)
Shield (JPN)
Sword & Shield (ENG)

7lNZ0qq.jpg
fRC6mvx.jpg
U0MGdtP.jpg
og1jSbP.jpg
IOwTOb2.jpg

xSweetSlayerx

Card Collector
I CAN'T WAAAAAIIIIIIIITT!!!!!

I finished completing my Dex collection a few weeks ago (sans Ultra Beasts), so I'm ready to start "catching" the Galar pokémon! I want to see the Alolan Corsola and Cursola cards too!

Edit: Doesn't look like Corsola is part of this expansion. ;w;

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
I don't play the TCG much these days other than with my friends on rare occasions, but I'm loving the artwork on some of these new cards, especially that Ennewt (Salazzle).

Flamer

Loving the new artwork on this set. And there's something about a Base Set that makes it more fun to collect for me. Maybe its the nostalgia from collected the original base set as a kid.

I've ordered one of each of the triple packs, with the Galarian Ponyta and Morpeko promos, yesterday. Got a few singles on the way too; Zamazenta V, Morpeko V, Celebi V, Regirock V and Drednaw. Wanted to get Zacian V too, but it was way too expensive. Might consider it when the price has dropped. Going to be eagerly anticipating the mail next week!

xSweetSlayerx

Card Collector
I got a celebratory booster pack on release day.

I love the new style for the energy cards. It feels like a modern take on the original Base Set style.

I got Chewtle and Dubwool (one of my favorites this generation) for my first G8 pokémon, and I also got the Munna card made by Asako Ito, which is one of my artwork collections. I'd say I'm satisfied. XD

shoz999

You know in Ace Attorney, Dahlia Hawthorne appeared to be this beautiful caring ex to Pheonix Wright but was later revealed to be the one of the most horrible, vile and manipulative villains of the series? Well in the Rillaboom deck, you get to play as that girl! Although it says it's the Rillaboom Deck, it really should say it's the Eldegoss deck and how it goes is like this. You start out with Gossifleur and she's like, "Oh. Don't mind me. I'm just your average defenseless kawaii girl." and then several turns later she evolves into a witch called Eldegoss and goes, "HA HA HA! YOU FOOLS! YOU WERE TOO WORRIED ABOUT RILLABOOM BUT IT WAS I WHO WAS THE TRUE MASTERMIND THIS WHOLE TIME!" and then you start powering-up your Rillabooms, your Snorlaxs, your Maractus and by the time your opponent sees a lot of powered-up bench Pokemon, it's too late.

SGMusic

It's been a while since I've played the TCG and I may as well start again with Sw/Sh.

Which of the new starter decks would be good to buy two copies of and smash together?
Starter doesn't really matter to me, mainly looking for a cheap way to get a deck that's better than straight out of the box.

If I decide to pick up boosters, is there anything specific to look out for in this set?

shoz999

It's been a while since I've played the TCG and I may as well start again with Sw/Sh.

Which of the new starter decks would be good to buy two copies of and smash together?
Starter doesn't really matter to me, mainly looking for a cheap way to get a deck that's better than straight out of the box.

If I decide to pick up boosters, is there anything specific to look out for in this set?
Not really sure to be honest. All three decks really aren't that great compared to the previous generation of decks. Charizard, Raikou and Entei decks still reign supreme but in my opinion. The Rillaboom deck is not too shabby thanks to the Eldegoss card. The Eldegoss is a really great card for grass decks. Never tried the other two decks though but from what I've seen, in the Inteleon deck that Drednaw is quite a ferocious card. Turning the retreat costs into a bigger weakness. Pokemon Catcher is also a great card, flip a coin and you can switch the opponent's active Pokemon with whatever bench Pokemon you like. The Cinderace deck has a useful trainer card called "Bede" which allows you to attach another energy to whatever Pokemon you like. It also has some fairly powerful cards for Theme Deck battles, like Cinderace and Ninetales which, through their moves, can gather an extra energy.

Leonhart

Imagineer
So from what I've heard the Fairy-type and Dragon-type seem to have been removed in this set, unless that's just a rumor. I'm not sure what the point of that is.

shoz999

So from what I've heard the Fairy-type and Dragon-type seem to have been removed in this set, unless that's just a rumor. I'm not sure what the point of that is.
I believe Fairy-types are confirmed to be removed but Dragon-Types haven't and fans have noticed that the TCG have avoided pure dragon-type Pokemon, so that's a complete mystery.

Carkol

Question - what's the earliest card set still being made and sold? I go to large chain stores and see nothing but Sun and Moon cards. Did they discontinue X and Y?

On Serebii site, it shows the release date for every expansion set, but doesn't show the date where they discontinued making.

Edit: if it matters, I'm in the USA, and looked at stores like Target.