1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Team Ideas

Discussion in 'Pokémon Sword & Shield Discussion' started by Tomforest4, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Tomforest4

Tomforest4 New Member

I am new to the IV and EV training thing and I am not completely versed with everything yet. So I need help with pokemon roster ideas.

I know for definite I will have a Polteageist (Timid) and Toxapeak (Bold) as I have 6 perfect IV's on these fellas. I want Toxapeak to be my wall that will poison people and set traps.

I am looking to build a team for singles play battle tower and to play online against friends.

I have an idea of a team of

Copperrajah
    Polteagesit
    Toxapeak
    Sylveon
    Talonflame
    Kanghaskhan

I just want opinions on if that would work, how I should run Copperajah, Sylveon, Talonflame and Kanghaskhan.

Also does anyone have any suggestions on different mon to run with Polteageist and Toxapeak?

2. Ophie

Ophie Salingerian Phony

For the record, it's "Toxapex." (toxic + apex)

I'm guessing you plan to use Polteageist as a Shell Smash Baton Pass user and Toxapex as a poison-inducing staller. You probably wouldn't want to Baton Pass to Toxapex, and Talonflame would be a bad choice, because if you're using Gale Winds, you run a very high risk of an attack rendering it ineffective.

In any case, pretty much anything will work in the Battle Tower as long as you don't have any glaring weaknesses (and your team doesn't have more than 2 Pokémon weak to any particular type). Really, if you're going to use it mainly for Battle Tower, you only need 3 Pokémon, though the AI does slowly catch on to what you're doing so it's good to mix things up here and there. If you're battling with friends, that will depend on how your friends choose to battle and the rules they choose, and how this team would be structured would depend very much on that. For instance, if you're using full teams, you'll find entry hazards a lot more useful than if you're using Ranked rules, where there's a lot less switching.

3. Tomforest4

Tomforest4 New Member

As I said I am a complete noob and I am looking for a team that can play ranked really and I will use that in the battle tower. I want to run toxic spikes on Toxapex and have shell smash and baton pass on Polteageist. If I swapped out Talonflame for Charizard would that be better?

4. Ghost94

Ghost94 Collector

Ophie likes this.
  5. Ophie

Ophie Salingerian Phony

The problem is that the Battle Tower AI is nothing like actual human players. There are some strategies that can work against both, but not very many. The AI, for instance, never switches except as a last resort and has a very offense-based strategy, with few status moves. It can also read your inputs and counter accordingly. For that reason, for instance, Wobbuffet doesn't really work too well in Battle Tower, because the AI will keep spamming status moves when you try to use Counter or Mirror Coat, then attack only when you select Encore or Safeguard or something.

For that reason, I have Pokémon I train specifically for the Battle Tower and Pokémon I train specifically for Casual/Ranked (which are, in turn, divided into single battle teams and double battle teams).

What I mean about Baton Pass on Polteageist is that you can switch to some other members (Sylveon and Kangaskhan would be good candidates, as they both are meant to deal a lot of direct damage and appreciate speed boosts), but strategically, it wouldn't make sense to switch to Talonflame for it. Talonflame being on the team can work; it'll just be a slight drop in synergy.

6. Golden_Arcanine

Golden_Arcanine Well-Known Member

I usually go with 2 Pokes I'm wanting to build my team around, and then go from there. Polteageist and Toxapex don't really have any issues running with each other, and they don't have any gaping holes. Looking at your team idea, there's not a ton of issues with any particular type. Kanghaskhan doesn't have a ton of usage without the ability to Mega-evolve. It lost a LOT of usability when mega evolutions didn't continue, and Normal isn't an overly valuable type since you don't have any Super Effective, and the only resistance it offers is Ghost. I'd probably swap it out. Maybe for Rillaboom?

Assuming you're using Coopperajah to set Stealth Rock, I'd probably be inclined to use Excadrill since you can utilize Rapid Spin with it as well. Stealth Rock + Rapid Spin gives it a ton of versatility.

Overall, I'd probably adjust it like so:

Excadrill - Stealth Rock, Rapid Spin, Iron Head, Earthquake
    Polteageist - Shell Smash, Shadow Ball, Stored Power, Giga Drain
    Sylveon - Hyper Voice, Mystical Fire, Psyshock, Shadow Ball
    Toxapex - Scald, Recover, Toxic, Haze
    Talonflame - Tailwind, Roost, Steel Wing, Brave Bird
    Rillaboom - Wood Hammer, Knock Off, U-Turn, Super Power

7. neophenx

neophenx Pokemon Strategist

If you're looking to play Ranked (3v3 singles or 4v4 doubles), Toxic Spikes is borderline useless. Entry Hazards are only really beneficial in full 6v6 matches, especially singles.

Ophie likes this.