• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon that could be great but it type makes it bad

redcharzard

Semi-competitive
just discuss what pokemon acould be awsome but isnt because of typing
my two favorite pokemon suffer because of their typing,aggron and gyarados,beside both have huge stats

Aggron I can agree with it needs a ability that makes ground and fighting do less damage. As for Gyarados I'm neutral. Gyarados's flying type gave it earthquake immunity in xd/colosseum and was trouble when combined with light'ning rod(while easy to counter it still gave me trouble and slowed down my team koing momentum.)

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Aggron I can agree with it needs a ability that makes ground and fighting do less damage. As for Gyarados I'm neutral. Gyarados's flying type gave it earthquake immunity in xd/colosseum and was trouble when combined with light'ning rod(while easy to counter it still gave me trouble and slowed down my team koing momentum.)
Don't remind me of that match in Pokemon Battle Revolution...ugh, that damn Rhyperior!

Triple Z

Triple Z used yawn!
Yeah, Gyarados's Flying typing doesn't do it many favours. True: it gives it an immunity to EQ and makes grass do only neutral damage but with that comes a weakness to SR, rock types and x4 weakness to electric attacks. Maybe if it had a decent Flying STAB it'd be OK, but the only one it gets is Bounce, which is easily manipulated. Pure Water or Water/Dragon would be much better

Granted, Gyarados is still good, but it could be better

Big Beluga

u r a fatty
gyarados' flying typing is what makes it so unique and differentiates itself from other bulky waters. in fact, the only reason i don't like its flying typing is because of the gay sr weakness. other than that, i feel that it's a blessing for gyarados. it gives it STAB bounce, immunity / resistance to a bunch of common attacking types like bug, ground and fighting, and gives it immunity to spikes / ts.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
gyarados' flying typing is what makes it so unique and differentiates itself from other bulky waters. in fact, the only reason i don't like its flying typing is because of the gay sr weakness. other than that, i feel that it's a blessing for gyarados. it gives it STAB bounce, immunity / resistance to a bunch of common attacking types like bug, ground and fighting, and gives it immunity to spikes / ts.
I have to agree. Plus you left out the part where being part Flying makes Gyarados neutral to Grass. The increased Electric weakness is easily handled with Ground types and Lightningrod/Volt Absorb/Motor Drive pokes.

Zachmac

if gyrados didnt have his flying typing he would be broken
I think broken is over exaggerating. It would be a bit better, but not broken.

It couldn't do a thing to sun teams, since it would get weaker STAB. I think Latios, Latias, and Virizion could check it. Gastrodon, Ferrothorn, Skarymory. Defensive Gyarados can handle offensive gyarados as well. Rotom-W would still be a counter, even if it's only x2. There is also metagross with thunder punch. Dry skin toxicroak would wall it's Waterfall/Stone Edge, but would have to watch out for sets carrying EQ. Jellicent can will-o-wisp, while other bulky waters can burn with scald.

Those are all OU pokemon, BTW.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨

arceus7

Arcane Of The Wild
Okay I have a question, if gyarados was water dragon , HOW THE HELL DOES HE BECOME OVERPOWERED AND BROKEN?

Ever heard of Kingdra?

Kalslaffin

Herping the Durp
Okay I have a question, if gyarados was water dragon , HOW THE HELL DOES HE BECOME OVERPOWERED AND BROKEN?

Ever heard of Kingdra?

I second this

Zachmac

With intimidate, it's defensives are all better then Kingdra's. Base 125 attack is actually a lot more then 90. It's speed is a little lower, but it still has dragon dance.

Typing isn't the only think a pokemon has, there is also moves, abilities, and stats. Excadril make it all the way to Uber, yet Steelix is down in RU.

Dragon Gyarados would have problems with Bulky steels, Bulky waters, and Choice Scarfed Dragons. I actually can't think of anything else though...

rocky505

Ever heard of Kingdra?
High attack, one weakness, gains bulk from ability, has great stat boosting move, Not weak against SR. I am sure there are many more though.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
A Water/Dragon Gyarados would not be broken in today's game, but back in the 1st gen days the only Dragon move was Dragon Rage, which did a small amount of fixed damage. So it would have been broken when introduced. But I don't see how it would be broken in today's game on paper, especially with its small movepool. Either way, it's not going to change, and it's been OU since 3rd gen.

Aztec_Blaziken

Back to WiFi Battles
Any Normal type that serves as a wall.
Too many Fighting types out there.

Bug/Flying types will always struggle to stay at the top of their class.
Example: Yanmega

girazard

IT'S A TRAP!!!
Apart from the fat pink blobs, yeah.

Who says Gyarados would be better without its Flying type? Without it, Gyarados suddenly becomes vulnerable to Spikes and Toxic Spikes and loses resistances to key types such as Fighting and Bug (which makes it one of the best answers to Scizor in the game, among other things), as well as a very useful immunity to Ground. Yes, a Water/Dragon Gyarados would be great offensively, but it would lose a lot of the defensive assets that have made it what it is.