• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon That Didn't Interest You, But Now You Love

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
Basically, in my case, I never was a huge eevee and -lutions fan. I've used them, but there were others who went gaga for them and I'm not one to like something just because it's popular, sometimes I just stay away from it if it is (likewise, sometimes I like it too much to care). But after getting someone's leftover eevees in gen 4 last year, now I really like eevee and the -lutions.

These eevee had wish, and somehow, ideas started flying for a vaporeon I wanted to train up. I don't remember why, but I do know I looked at Smogon. I just thought wish would be really neat with vaporeon because of it's naturally great hp among the eeveelutions. I also liked the idea of baton passing and giving the switched in 'mon the life point recovery. At some point, acid armor became part of the mix. And then I was tossing around heal bell or aqua ring into the equation as the fourth move, finally settling for aqua ring as it's like giving the next pokemon a leftovers.

So while that got the ball rolling with my interest in eevee and the -lutions, prior to that I had found umbreon's curse and payback set interesting, I just was being stubborn and not gonna do it for various reasons such as dark not being my fav type and all. But I eventually decided to train up an Ughbreon (as I call it). Setup of curse, payback, swagger, and baton pass.

I started to like having baton pass as a gimmick with all of them, meanwhile only some eeveelutions interested me.

So I've gone from most gens not caring about eevee and the -lutions to really liking them and wanting to make an eevee team. I even was lucky enough to trade for a shiny eevee. I'm actually using a new eeveelution around the time it's actually new, and a shiny at that. ^^

While I feel eevee and the -lutions is at the top of my list for pokemon I didn't care about but suddenly found interesting, there are others that come to mind.

The porygon line is one. Back in gen 1, I remember working so hard beating the Elite just to get money to convert to coins to get a porygon. Eventually, I got one (the more expensive one from Blue version I believe), but after seeing it in Stadium, I was totally disinterested in it as it was just like a robot. It felt like it had no personality at all, and I had a hard time bonding with it (plus, moves and stuff just didn't interest me). It wasn't until porygon z that I found the line interesting. I've yet to raise one, but I like z as I feel like the 'mon finally has some personality gained, imo, from ai from the dubious disc.

I remember seeing a lot of sigs with the elemental monkeys around the start of gen 5. That alone pushed me away from trying them, but I did try the fire line in my playthrough of Black, and it became a helpful fire type protecting my my water starter from grass and my psychic sidekick from bugs and steel. Eventually I came up with movesets I liked for each, and now of two of each elemental monkey with differing movesets and stats that are both monkey inspired and type countering.

There's also mawile. I never thought mawile was anything special. It's a neat design, but just battle wise it didn't interest me. But after becoming fairy and gaining a mega in gen 6, I wanted to try one. I decided I'd use one in gen 3 and slowly bring it through the gens, eventually getting it to gen 6 to get to use it as a steel/fairy and mega.

Oh, and when I saw flabebe and it hadn't been mentioned it evolved or anything at the time, I was just like "Seriously? Even though it's a fairy type, that little thing'll be a dragon counter?".

When I found the flower patch in X, I figured as a novelty I'd catch a yellow one as it's my fav color. I stumbled on an orange one after not catching the first yellow and passing on a red one. I originally thought that there were more flower colors than there actually are, not to mention the ability to find rarer mixed colors (ie yellow and red make orange). When I found it, I did as I normally do; I throw one pokeball, and if it stays I keep it, if not, I run. Though not knowing if this thing was rare or not, I just kept chucking pokeballs until it finally decided to join me.

I used it, not finding flabebe too great. Eventually (not sure if only after it evolved into floette), I realized it's tank potential. In the end, my Rouge Jaune (red and yellow in french, as orange is the same) is a bulky eviolite floette that actually had I believe 31 in sp atk (I kept as floette because her ability hinders her naturally good sp def if I recall correctly, so this helps her out). She does really well and I'm so proud of her.

What about you? What are some pokemon you didn't like before, but grew to enjoy using.

Last edited:

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
I fel the oposite with rotom formes, from pure love to just meh once they got their ghost type removed.

On topic i found a renewed love on staraptor, the guy is a monster if you manage to get him in. Lopunny odly stroke my fancy, the combo of ruining item\skill\statusing or using magic bounce and then using healing wish has proven to be decent at OU, feels s good to ring target imunities away ;3

King91

I'm all fired up!
On BW/2 the main one of these for me was probably Gastrodon. It'd gone under my radar till I bred one for a Wi-FI competition, and I really enjoyed using it since, though I haven't had a chance to on X/Y yet. On X, like your example, it's probably been Vaporeon that I've enjoyed the most, and I have a similar set to you but Scald instead of aqua ring. It deals out a fair bit of damage, as well as being a great defensive Poke, and takes people by surprise expecting it to be set up fodder.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
There are a-lot, but Gliscor is the first that comes to my mind.

It was actually the Sinnoh anime that got me into raising one for myself. Right in the middle of 4th Gen. Back then was a time when I was just starting to branch out and play with different Pokemon species, and Ash's Gliscor really stuck out to me throughout the show. I love how it looks in relation to Gligar, and its physical attacking movepool is a-lot of fun.

Last edited:

Laurelai

I recently IV bred a Chatot for the shiny community hunt just because I was feeling squirrely. I'd never had much interest in it honestly. Well that little squawker has been quite a surprise! I'm getting quite the tickle out of using it in my free battles and watching it blast things.

Symphony

Seasons, they turn..
Well, the one Pokemon that sticks out that I didn't really think about till now is Vaporeon. In Eeveelutions, I always preferred Jolteon from the original three. I also only used a Vaporeon in FireRed as my Surfing pal. I never thought that Vaporeon would actually be one of those memorial Pokemon for me. But, after transferring it to Y, I gave it a shot in battling. I needed a team to battle my friend, and so I pulled Vaporeon randomly on the team. Well, it actually was the Pokemon I used the most in battle! It was quite a tank and hard to take down. And, I kept landing some burns with Scald. Now, I use Vaporeon in almost every batttle agaisnt someone. I even completed it's training. Aqua the Vaporeon, you went far! ;134;

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
Well, the one Pokemon that sticks out that I didn't really think about till now is Vaporeon. In Eeveelutions, I always preferred Jolteon from the original three. I also only used a Vaporeon in FireRed as my Surfing pal. I never thought that Vaporeon would actually be one of those memorial Pokemon for me. But, after transferring it to Y, I gave it a shot in battling. I needed a team to battle my friend, and so I pulled Vaporeon randomly on the team. Well, it actually was the Pokemon I used the most in battle! It was quite a tank and hard to take down. And, I kept landing some burns with Scald. Now, I use Vaporeon in almost every batttle agaisnt someone. I even completed it's training. Aqua the Vaporeon, you went far! ;134;
Lol, I actually paired the vaporeon I trained up with my shiny feraligatr in Gen 4 for a lot of battles, and my feraligatr's name is Aqua. ^^

Symphony

Seasons, they turn..
Lol, I actually paired the vaporeon I trained up with my shiny feraligatr in Gen 4 for a lot of battles, and my feraligatr's name is Aqua. ^^

Wow, that's so cool! :D I guess Vaporeon made it far for both of us. Awesome that your Feraligatr and my Vaporeon share the same name! ^.^

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
There's been a few for me.

Exeggutor: A very weird Pokemon. Back in the day I never cared for it, but now for some reason I love this werido. Exeggutor power :D
Arcanine: Arcanine is a wonderful Pokemon but for some reason I never used one. I always had either Charizard or Flareon to use. I used Arcanine one day and now love it.
Geodude/Graveler/Golem: A very boring and generic Rock Pokemon. I recently used one in my Soul Silver playthrough and it was a beast. I like it now.
Togekiss: I wasn't a big fan of the Togepi line, until Togekiss was invented. In almost all my Platinum playthroughs I use a Togekiss.
Gyarados: Gyarados's 4 times weakness always turned me off to the species for use. However I got over that dumb prejudice, used a Gyarados and now I love it.
Mamoswine: The Swinub and Piloswine Pokemon didn't interest me until Mamoswine was invented. Just like with Togekiss, I now usually have this guy on my Platinum or HGSS teams.
Sableye: I recently used one in Emerald. Never cared for it but now I love Sableye. One of my favorite Hoenn Pokemon.
Flygon: Same as Sableye. Once I caught a Trapinch I became a fan of this Pokemon line. It's really useful.

These are a few of Pokemon that didn't interest me before but I love now. I have more to list later.

Iblis Trigger

DAT IBLIS TRIGGA
There's definitely several that have grown on me over time.

Although my first Pokemon game was Platinum, there's a few 4th-gen Pokemon I really didn't care for until pretty recently. Palkia and Torterra--no idea why. Garchomp--my Dragon-type love is spreading over even more dragon types; I didn't really care much for Garchomp in the past. Probably because of how tough I found Cynthia's at the time. Vespiquen--not entirely sure, but I was taking drawing requests on Miiverse and somebody asked for a picture of Shedinja and Vespiquen. Still not a fan of Shedinja, but I guess it was then I realized how fun it was to draw Vespiquen and I just...suddenly started liking it. Kyogre, while not a 4th-gen Pokemon, is one of the major ones that's grown on me recently. I suppose it's because of a recent Ecco the Dolphin obsession; I dunno.

EDIT: Gah, how could I forget the Regis. There's something...oddly cute about them and they remind me of E-123 Omega from the Sonic series.

Last edited:

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
Wow, that's so cool! :D I guess Vaporeon made it far for both of us. Awesome that your Feraligatr and my Vaporeon share the same name! ^.^
Yea, maybe we could battle 1v1 with our own Aquas. I would sugest vaporeon vs vaporeon, but as Ifve (my vaporeon) has no damaging moves, would be a long battle.

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
When I first saw the Flabebe line when they were first revealed, I thought to myself: "I will probably never use one of those" Little did I know I would begrudgingly train it as my first Fairy-type Pokemon. Although I felt it was dainty at first, Once I evolved my Floette into a Florges, I began to realize just how much potential Florges had as both a tank and a sweeper. I was a little disappointed when I found out that a very particular Sylveon set rendered Florges as "useless". Either way, I still wreck people with it in competitive battles.

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
When I first saw the Flabebe line when they were first revealed, I thought to myself: "I will probably never use one of those" Little did I know I would begrudgingly train it as my first Fairy-type Pokemon. Although I felt it was dainty at first, Once I evolved my Floette into a Florges, I began to realize just how much potential Florges had as both a tank and a sweeper. I was a little disappointed when I found out that a very particular Sylveon set rendered Florges as "useless". Either way, I still wreck people with it in competitive battles.
Oh, when I saw flabebe and it hadn't been mentioned it evolved or anything at the time, I was just like "Seriously? Even though it's a fairy type, that little thing'll be a dragon counter?".

When I found the flower patch in X, I figured as a novelty I'd catch a yellow one as it's my fav color. I stumbled on an orange one after not catching the first yellow and passing on a red one. I originally thought that there were more flower colors than there actually are, not to mention the ability to find rarer mixed colors (ie yellow and red make orange). When I found it, I did as I normally do; I throw one pokeball, and if it stays I keep it, if not, I run. Though not knowing if this thing was rare or not, I just kept chucking pokeballs until it finally decided to join me.

I used it, not finding flabebe too great. Eventually (not sure if only after it evolved into floette), I realized it's tank potential. In the end, my Rouge Jaune (red and yellow in french, as orange is the same) is a bulky eviolite floette that actually had I believe 31 in sp atk (I kept as floette because her ability hinders her naturally good sp def if I recall correctly, so this helps her out). She does really well and I'm so proud of her.

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
This generation it was Scatterbug line. When I saw it, I wrote it off as the token Bug type that will get replaced on my Team when I can get a more interesting 'mon. Then it saved my butt a few a times and was super effective when I needed it to be and so it stayed on my team.

Symphony

Seasons, they turn..
Yea, maybe we could battle 1v1 with our own Aquas. I would sugest vaporeon vs vaporeon, but as Ifve (my vaporeon) has no damaging moves, would be a long battle.

A battle? I wouldn't mind doing that! Yea, if I had to battle a Vaporeon with no attacking moves, I might just die from my impatience, lol.
Whenever you have the time, I'm ready! ^.^

Another Pokemon that means quite a lot to me now is Pidgeot. Another FireRed tale coming up. I was doing my second playthrough of FireRed and decided to use the most generic bird Pokemon of the all, Pidgey. I really don't like to go mainstream when I choose my Pokemon, but I gave Pidgey a chance. She ended up being one of my most powerful on my new FireRed team! Pidgeot also has quite the design, and I grew to like it when I was using her. Also, when I was training a Pidgey (Sadly, this Pidgey is no longer with us) randomly, I found a Shiny Geodude! Another time, I was trying to chain Pidgeys in Y, and I ended up finding a Shiny Fletchling instead! I guess Pidgey is just a good luck charm for me. I also use the Flying Theme on Serebii, so, I get to see Pidgeot a lot! Thanks to one of my friends on here, I was able to trade them for a Shiny Pidgey, and I hope to train her to be a beautiful golden Pidgeot. ;018;

Enjolras

Master of the House
It's Pidgey for me as well. I put him into my party to possibly train for Erika's gym. He was horrendously under leveled, not having been in a battle since Viridian Forest. I stepped into Diglett's cave with a team in the 20s, pretty confident. Then a Dugtrio completely demolished every Pokemon in my team, outspeeding them all. I had to send out my level 8 Pidgey, and his ground type immunity let me Gust my way to victory. He grew about 6 levels, and never left my team.

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
This generation it was Scatterbug line. When I saw it, I wrote it off as the token Bug type that will get replaced on my Team when I can get a more interesting 'mon. Then it saved my butt a few a times and was super effective when I needed it to be and so it stayed on my team.

Same here with me, Scatterbug was also an unexpected teammate for me. Ironically, I named it Powder due to its pokedex description only to find out that it had a signature move of the same name. Boy does that Vivillon have great Special stats.

Shao-May

Trainer in training
Raichu. I didn't liked it because it looked too much too pikachu, which I don't really like. Now I see it mre like an upgrade version of it and more useful. Also Oshawott, which I though was lame but evolved into a really cool pokémon.

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
Raichu. I didn't liked it because it looked too much too pikachu, which I don't really like. Now I see it mre like an upgrade version of it and more useful. Also Oshawott, which I though was lame but evolved into a really cool pokémon.
Yea, oshawott's design didn't interest me (looked like a snowball head over an otter to me), but it did evolve into a really cool 'mon...dewott :D

And I don't like pikachu because of not a fan of the mascot getting so much attention. Plus, it and like charizard (though I don't dislike charizard) are so popular, when people would tease about pokemon, those were the two that'd be brought up. But I'm surprised that pikachu, an unevolved pokemon, can really be a decent competetive 'mon. O.O

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Magnezone, I originally liked its pre-evolution more. I decided to give it a try on Black 2 and it became one of my favourite team members.

Last edited: