• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon That Didn't Interest You, But Now You Love

I'm going to say Bunnelby and Diggersby - when I first saw them, hated their design, in my mind "they look horrible, never going to use one" - then I decided to play the "Early Normal Type" team in one of my Y games, slowly started to like them. Now that I given them a chance in a team, slowly becoming another of my favorites.

The King of Ho-oh's

<---- Newest Shiny
I'm going to say Bunnelby and Diggersby - when I first saw them, hated their design, in my mind "they look horrible, never going to use one" - then I decided to play the "Early Normal Type" team in one of my Y games, slowly started to like them. Now that I given them a chance in a team, slowly becoming another of my favorites.

I just wanted to add to this. I never liked the designs... until last week. I randomly tried him on a mono-normal type team,
would BP a Gear Shift to him and then proceed to decimate the whole other team. This guy is a freaking beast! Now I even
love the design (he looks like C-Low Green if he was a miner.... and a rabbit :D).

Now I'm breeding a competitive one for my wifi team. Along with a BP Ninjask (I know there are better speed-boosters). I've always
hated Azumarril... maybe I will test him out as the third member.

Edit: I JUST realized that Diggersby and Azumarril even resist each other's weakness (except grass which they are both
weak to), yeah this team is DEFINITELY happening now. :D

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure i can make a list for each generation:
Gen 1: Starmie. I know, i know. Starmie is a great pokemon, and perhaps on of the most iconic from the first gen via its association with Misty. I think that's why i never liked it, because Misty was possibly the hardest gym leader i faced when i first started pokemon as a kid (started with charmander). Yet, when i finally started using Starmie competitively in the 4th gen i started to respect it a lot more. Plus, i just love the red gem it has. The color scheme is great on that pokemon.

Gen 2: Probably Skarmory. Can't really give a reason other than the design of the pokemon has grown on me. I've never been one for stand-alone pokemon, but this one has steadily started to stand out from the rest of the stand alones out of Johto.

Gen 3: No-brainer on this one. Breloom. If you went back in time to when Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald were current i probably wouldn't even remember Breloom. Well, sort of..I mean it's not like Spinda / Maractus / one of those other pokemon that you struggle to remember because they aren't that significant, but it just didn't stand out to me. It getting technician probably changed my view on Breloom. As you might guess from reading my aforementioned text, i focus on the pokemon's design to a certain degree, and i will admit i didn't like it at first. I will say now, that i do in fact love Breloom's little beret-helmet on his head.

Gen 4: Rotom. Loathed the base form design. Still do. Mainly dislike the lightning bolts on both sides of it. The release of the extra forms, mainly the Lawnmower form changed my attitude towards Rotom.

Gen 5: Pretty set in stone with how i feel about this generation. I despise the starters of this generation with the exception of Samurott, but i sort of went from dislike to more of an accepting view of Emboar when i saw his shiny form. I just feel like the blue flames on him work out better and compliment his design more.

Gen 6: Ok so this change was fairly recent. First, a story. As a Louisiana resident, Mardi Gras is a time-honored tradition and staple of my life. One of the best parts of Mardi Gras is going down to New Orleans for the Mask market. My favorite type of mask is without a doubt the Venitian masks popularized by plague doctors in the 17th century. I just love the beaks, as they make for a very eye-catching mask. Coming back to Pokemon, i recently picked up where i left off on Pokemon X and Y, and when i finally caught spritzee (which i had originally viewed as girly and strange looking) i reexamined it and it just seems like it has the same characteristics of a plague doctor mask on it. Basically, i've made a complete 180 in regards to spritzee. Although, i definitely plan on taking on a spritzee shiny grind as i like the purple spritz over the pink.

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
Heracross and Scrafty come to mind. Caught the former on a whim, the latter so I'd have a Fighting type in Unova. Both of them are now some of my favourite Pokemon. :D

x-sayrie-x

I decided to step out of my usual formula for in-game teams starting in Black 2, when I tried out a few Pokemon that I otherwise wouldn't have touched. Notably, Leavanny and Crobat. In the former's case, I'm not particularly fond of bug types in general, and in the latter I still had war flashbacks from nightmare caves with no repels and Zubat assaulting me every two steps. But after Cyrus swept me back in Platinum with his Crobat I thought, oh, why not?

Needless to say, both of them have grown on me immensely. Leavanny is particularly useful with False Swipe as I try to fill up my 'dex.

zozo

SLIMED!
Malamar comes to mind. I never actually "disliked" it as much as it was one of those Pokemon that I saw, thought "oh, that's interesting," then never really bothered with. I was happy to find an Inkay in my game and caught it, oohed and aahed about its cuteness for a few minutes, then went back to training my other Pokemon without even bothering to evolve it.

Then I realized Malamar has access to Contrary AND Superpower. So, I figured I'd give one a try on my mono Dark team. Between the really sweet typing, the solid stats, and that lovely synergy between moveset and ability, it looked like a good choice. So, I got a really good Inkay, evolved it, and went on to train Malamar, still not really caring much for its design without really hating it either. But what with seeing it actually in battle and feeding it cupcakes in PokemonAmie, it slowly became one of my all-time favourite Pokemon. It's got this bizarre beauty that I really enjoy!

Truly Deceptive

It is I: ME!
Charizard; I got Blue and selected Squirtle in it and the first time around in FireRed. Water-types were way more awesome to me back then. What was especially impressionable of me was how I felt about the starters' type coverage (Ice Beam). Later on, I learned that Charizard would get you Suicune later in the game and tried it, instead. It was also pretty d@mn fun.

Pokemon trainer Black

All praise Helix!
Gible didn't interest me until I got it in a trade and raised it now it's become one of my power houses.

I recently got a copy of FireRed because I loved the original games but never tried the remakes. One Poke that I thought I would never use is Raticate. He isn't on my main team anymore, but through the first 2 or 3 gyms he was very useful. I never realized how strong his hyper fang was! Ill never really like his design but I can't call him useless for battle anymore. Another poke that I never really experienced with was Jolteon. My favorite eeveelution is Leafeon but I wanted to experiment with one I never used. He is now probably my second favorite eeveelution. His design grew on me and his superb speed and special attack is awesome.

ace-of-aces

Minecraft YouTuber
Gardevoir and Scizor were just 2 pokemon out of my primitive pokedex, but now, they are my Absolute Favorites. (Also, my dex is XY complete!!! :) )

Pokemon trainer Black

All praise Helix!
Diglett was Pokemon I thought would just be as waste of time leveling up I used it on my Firered copy and holy **** this thing takes down anything with Magnitude and Slash.

I should also add Pikachu to the list he was really helpful before he evolved now that he's a Raichu his speed is amazing and he can take down almost anything.

appelpower

Sinnoh Champion
Powerful cutemons (most notably Togekiss). I always hated them, until I found out how awesome some of them are to use.
I hated Farfetch'd, Ratatta and Beedrill for their lack of power, even though I like them now for respectively the coolness factor of a duck with a leek for a sword, Youngster Joey and a Pokémon Red playthrough. In fact, they make up my top 3 favourites list in the aforementioned order.
Slaking. I hated its ability, but I tried it in NU and it's a beast.
All slow and tanky Pokémon (most notably Ampharos, of whom I never realised it had so much bulk and Vaporeon, whose design I didn't like but whose battle style I do like). I used to think speed was everything. Later, I started to prefer Pokémon with a tanky style, and thus, I started appreciating many Pokémon I never liked.

ShachonianX

Spheal Lord
I have recently just started replaying Pokemon Ruby, and for the Pokedex, I got myself a Dustox. I never planned on using it, but I just kept in my party. A few minutes ago I decided to fight Brawly, expecting to beat him with my level 14 Taillow, but a lucky crit from his Machop took out Taillow. The rest of my team then proceeded to up and die, until I sent out my level 9 (or 10, I already forgot) Dustox, named Mothman. It only new Harden and Confuse, so I expected the worse. However, what happened next was, "confusing" (bad pun, I know).

Dustox used confuse and managed to damage and confuse Machop, and a few turns after and 1 super potion from Brawly, Machop knocked itself out from confusion. Brawly then sent out his level 18 Makuhita, and my Dustox was only level 10. Despite using Bulk Up and another attack, it barely did any damage. And I managed to beat it. By spamming confusion. With a level 10 Dustox.

LEVEL 10 DUSTOX, BEATING BRAWLY

I have no clue how I did that, but now I love Dustox. A LOT.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Mawile.
Tried slapping one on a team back in Hoenn, and it stunk.
X/Y came around with her mega, bossed the meta-game with it and I've loved her ever sense.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
I have recently just started replaying Pokemon Ruby, and for the Pokedex, I got myself a Dustox. I never planned on using it, but I just kept in my party. A few minutes ago I decided to fight Brawly, expecting to beat him with my level 14 Taillow, but a lucky crit from his Machop took out Taillow. The rest of my team then proceeded to up and die, until I sent out my level 9 (or 10, I already forgot) Dustox, named Mothman. It only new Harden and Confuse, so I expected the worse. However, what happened next was, "confusing" (bad pun, I know).

Dustox used confuse and managed to damage and confuse Machop, and a few turns after and 1 super potion from Brawly, Machop knocked itself out from confusion. Brawly then sent out his level 18 Makuhita, and my Dustox was only level 10. Despite using Bulk Up and another attack, it barely did any damage. And I managed to beat it. By spamming confusion. With a level 10 Dustox.

LEVEL 10 DUSTOX, BEATING BRAWLY

I have no clue how I did that, but now I love Dustox. A LOT.

I don't know how you wouldn't have won, seeing as Dustox is 4 times resistant to fighting-type moves.

But that's still an interesting story.

ShachonianX

Spheal Lord
I don't know how you wouldn't have won, seeing as Dustox is 4 times resistant to fighting-type moves.

But that's still an interesting story.
Oh wow. Didn't know that actually.