• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon That Didn't Interest You, But Now You Love

majormanafemale

Jigglypuff/wigglytuff I don't like pink I caught one with pacfic use in mind. Wigglytuff is a beast I when discoverd the puff was useful trained it up with others I love it now. Roll out +Wigglytuff is just wow.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Froakie, when I saw the new XY games I was planning on choosing fennekin, but then I saw it's last evolution and didn't exactly like delphox. So I went with froakie and now I'm loving greninja.

Copy that. When anyone sees Fenniken they're like, "YEAAAHH!" Especially compared to the pigs from last Gen. But by the point you get Delphox... ulgh! I know I'll get flack for this but I just cannot stand Delphox's design! It's great for pummeling a lot of other Starter Pokémon, but it just doesn't appeal to me. REALLY hoping it's MEvo looks a lot more appealing.

And please get rid of Magician!

Chrosion

#1 waifu
I was never too big of a Charizard fan, I mean he's cool and all, but overrated. And then I saw Mega Charizard X and I was honestly disgusted at the sheer fanservice in that mega. Now I really like him though, and I wanna have him on my team if they make a new mystery dungeon game soon.

Shandon

Never like Lucario's design. Eventually, a friend insisted I train one in White. I instead raised one in SoulSilver and loved it. Still use it.

Floette

Fennekin
Kingler. I never liked it, until one day I did. As is the circle of life! Numerous other example include Camerupt, the Zubat line, and the entire Bug type :p

Truly Deceptive

It is I: ME!
I was never too big of a Charizard fan, I mean he's cool and all, but overrated. And then I saw Mega Charizard X and I was honestly disgusted at the sheer fanservice in that mega. Now I really like him though, and I wanna have him on my team if they make a new mystery dungeon game soon.

Yeah; it turned out to be well-balanced. I didn't start thinking that Charizard was fun until about a year before the end of the 3rd Gen, at which point it was no longer cool and I averted my attention (by which I mean obsessive fanboyism) towards the not-so-practically-useless Garchomp. I initially preferred Blastoise for the first several games, and I still enjoy it just as much as a whole, aside from its Shiny coloration; I mean, why?

WHY?!?

That aside, I was glad it received the potential for the Dragon typing that it desperately needed since the 4th Gen, on top of some mixed stats, some of which it may neither need nor be able to use; that coupled with its typing make it something designed expertly that can change the flow of a game entirely if handled well, or fail horribly if either overestimated or used without due consideration for an opponent. Mega Charizard Y has been more effective in my experience, with more rewarding outcomes when used in tandem with some of the Pokémon I like: namely, Bisharp, Aegislash, Rotom, and Sylveon. Additionally, I abhorred the idea of Fairy-types at first, but Sylveon, especially with Pixilate Hyper Voice and clerical support moves, is excellent.

Also, I never really liked Sceptile until after I tried playing Emerald a second time.

Last edited:

XXD17

Draco rex
I've recently grown to respect tangrowth a whole lot...I needed a physical wall for my wifi team that has reliable recovery ability and tangrowth fit the bill perfectly with regenerator and leech seed so I picked it despite not really liking its design...this thing is a physical monster...it can take brave birds from talonflame and heal very well with leech seeds+giga drain+big root along with the regenerator...in addition, it gets knock off and sleep powder too...some others I've grown to appreciate are eviolite dusclops and unaware quagsire...

X2koda

Dragon Keeper
Sableye. I used to hate it but then I was like "he isnt so bad unlike mr mime or jynx or hypno" and then I saw his mega evolution and was like "yes I will trade one of my pokemon for a 6iv one :)."

Bakphoon™

Heated Fury
Xerneas. I hated his design so much when he was released at first. But when I added him to my Ubers team, I started liking him more.

Jirachi Dude

No gen 4 or 5
Scizor. I had one sitting in my pc in leafgreen for the longest time but never used it except for when I needed false swipe. Yesterday I took him out of the pc and trained him up 65 levels, so now he's level 100 with a fairly formidable attack stat of 379. I love it sooooo much right now.

I have a few that I didn't care for at first, but Cacturne, Greninja, and Hawlucha come to mind.

For Greninja and Hawlucha, it was a matter of design. I just thought they looked dumb when they were first leaked, but since I wanted Froakie since it was first revealed, I chose it anyway. I ended up loving him, and I found him adorable in Amie. As for Hawlucha, in my quest to complete the Pokedex, I caught one and ended up using him a bit, and I ended up liking it.

Cacturne is a completely different story. I never remembered the fact that it existed, and once I got to the place you could encounter them in Platinum, I just had my Empoleon Drill Peck every one I ran into and fainting them... Until I ran into one who just wouldn't faint. He survived the first Drill Peck with one HP, and the others just somehow kept missing. Eventually I just threw a Pokeball at him, named him Scar due to his survival of Drill Peck and boxed him. Later on I was going to do a battle of some sort (I don't quite remember) and figured I needed a Grass Type, so I took Scar out of the PC, trained him up a bit and taught him a few move tutor moves, and I loved using him. Needless to say, three years later, he's in my Y game, level 100. He may have seven weaknesses now, but I'll never get rid of my Cacturne.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Copy that. When anyone sees Fenniken they're like, "YEAAAHH!" Especially compared to the pigs from last Gen. But by the point you get Delphox... ulgh! I know I'll get flack for this but I just cannot stand Delphox's design! It's great for pummeling a lot of other Starter Pokémon, but it just doesn't appeal to me. REALLY hoping it's MEvo looks a lot more appealing.

And please get rid of Magician!
My opinion pretty much went in the opposite direction. I found fennekin to be a sign that the designers were running out of ideas, being the third fire-type fox in the game. I actually thought froakie was a bit unoriginal too, if kind of cute. Chespin was my favourite because it was the only one which hadn't already been done in any way. Funnily enough, the first moment I started to change my mind about that line was because its ability reminded me of that one scene in Robin Hood, one of my favourite animated Disney movies (in part of that movie he pretends to be a psychic to buy time for a heist so the idea of an anthropomorphic fox seer that steals made me think of that). I've come to kind of like the translation of fennec foxes regulating heat with their ears to how the line is portrayed, and it's cool how they're the first fire types to incorporate the concept of firewood.

As for pokémon that grew on me, this site's own Pokémon Royal Rumble led me to gain some new respect for a few pokémon. I had quite a bit of fun wreaking havoc as misdreavus there, and after trying out solosis, I learned that I kind of like it. There are also some which I gained a liking to once I learned the inspirations for their designs, like spritzee and hoothoot. In hoothoot's case, I think the fact that there always seems to be a wicked, 'tude-packing hoothoot in every Nuzlocke story I read that takes place in Johto probably helps. I've also had an extra bit of fondness for rattata since making it my attractor in Mystery Dungeon (it being the first edition of games, attract made it lethal).

And on the subject of starters, I've only recently come to appreciate oshawott and its line. Mainly this was since it came to my attention that it was the only water starter line which was more than just a blue cartoon animal throughout its whole line. The shell motif is pretty nifty. Maybe the fact that the other Unova starters come off as kind of knock offs of the previous ones help make the oshawott line look good (I've always thought snivy seemed like just another treecko, and emboar's having the same type as blaziken and infernape seemed kind of uninspired).

Also, I've never been too into the major big legendaries, as big, ferocious monsters have never been my thing, but some of them I'm starting to have second thoughts on. The main three legendaries in Unova are starting to get my interest more, as I'm kind of liking all the different angles the designers took to applying their yin yang motif. Giratina's also getting increasingly popular with me. Maybe because it's just plain old chaotic, which is my kind of pokémon. Also, it kind of looks like a giant bobbit worm. Pokémon needs more worms. Or maybe I'm liking it more just because this is so damn amazing. Who knows?

Canto

The first thing that comes to mind is Skrelp. The first time I saw it I didn't think much of it, because I didn't think it was going to be able to evolve. But the first time I laid eyes on Dragalge, I instantly fell in love. So I guess I love Skrelp too, by extension.

I also didn't think much of Goodra when I first saw it. Holy balls, was I wrong.

Ti4558

I didn't really like the. 6 th gen pokemon at first but I decided to give them a shot and now I like them a lot more.

Ryuken

Steel User
Crobat
I first believed its design was terrible, couldn't pass as more than an annoyance, and its speed was pretty much the only good thing about it.
It was not until i tried UU and after a few matches, i started getting devastated by Roserade. Extremely mad at loosing by just one pokemon, and not having an answer for it, i started using its most solid check.
Crobat not only countered most variants of Roserade, but did an excellent work all around, that it eventually became one of my favorite pokemon.

HanbeiCat

TheAll-KnowingHanbei
Swalot was one of the Pokemon I used to never like. I ended up catching one in my Emerald, and realized how adorable it really is!

Pikachu was another Pokemon I didn't like. I thought it was overrated, typical, and not very powerful. Then when Pokemon Conquest came out, and Pikachu was paired with my favorite samurai, I ended up loving it. I saw how Pikachu suited Hanbei quite well and I gave it a try. Pikachu is cute, powerful, and evolves into raichu, which is even better. I now love Pikachu!

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
Sadly in gen 3 I never had the chance to truly bond with a Milotic despite of how much I loved its design because of how ****ing impossible it was to find Feebad in Hoenn back then, even more so since I didn't actually know how to.
Then one day, after gen 4 came out, I let my brother take my Ruby game with him to play on a boring trip and.... well that evening he phoned me specifically to tell me that he'd caught a Feebas.

I honestly thought he was trolling me. I didn't believe him until he actually came back home and showed it to me :D

I used to hate Scrafty with a passion until while messing around in my 2nd Black version I randomly found a shiny Scraggy. I evolved her and gave her a cute nickname and now she's my baby :3

For the longest time I really couldn't decide whether I loved or hated Hydreigon. I liked the idea of a dark/dragon hydra but I hated the fact that it has no hind legs and that 2 of the heads aren't actually heads, which kinda defeats the purpose. But now I've just sort of accepted it as a cool pokemon, even though I never really used one in-game.

P.U.P.P.E.T.

Well I guess one good example would be the Flabebe line, I really liked Flabebe's design and even Floette's, but Florges just wasn't doing it for me. All of that changed when in my first playthrough of X when I finally got my White Floette to evolve and soon after Florges was kicking some serious tail and brushing off hits. I tend to emphasize design for my ingame teams, but sometimes a Poke' is just too good to pass up.