• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon That Didn't Interest You, But Now You Love

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
Previously, as a solid Pikachu fan, I used to think Minun & Plusle were ripoffs, Pachirisu was another ripoff, and initially I thought the same about Emolga. But then, little by little, I took a liking to the electric flying squirrel and when I saw Emolga make its anime appearance with all of her comical antics, pranks, mischief, and mayhem, I was totally sold and Emolga became my favorite.

Digitalkaiser65

Dark Master
This is funny, I used to hate Darmanitan. I hated its stupid typing, its design and fire brows and beady eyes. Now its really amazing. In fact, I used to hate a lot of gen 5 pokemon but they have become some of my favorite in the series now.
Plus its a BEAST.

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
I used to think the Chansey line was one of the dumbest and pointless Pokémon until I started breeding to complete my pokédex between White and W2. After kicking so much *** as a Blissey, I gained a newfound respect for the line.

In saying that, I have decided to go back to SS and raise one while working on getting my shiny Scyther. Luckily today was a Chansey swarm and I'd really appreciate some help on picking which to train (Sorry, I just figure that barely anyone who could help me would enter the HGSS forum

Kingzard

Shiny Hunter
Sigilyph...

I think, like a lot of people, when I saw Sigilyph...I was confused to what it even was or why did they make something so randomly creepy...BUT after staring at it for awhile, with all the colors and patterns...

I LOVE IT. It's literally one of my most favorite gen 5 pokemon, and I loooove gen 5. Made a competitive one and he rocks Air Slash/Thunder Wave just to be epicly annoying. :) I mean honestly, if you take the time to appreciate a pokemon, either by...staring at it (lol) or using it in-game, you'll start to love it. Idk.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
I'm going to have to second the person who said Gallade. I never really cared about him and always preferred Gardevoir. Odd as it is, I often forgot he even existed because Gardevoir outshined him so much in my eyes. Doesn't help that Gardevoir got a Mega Evolution and he didn't, and I've never used him in-game.

Then Mega Gallade happened, and I gained a new level of respect for him. Mega Gallade is probably my favorite Mega Evolution going purely by design, and while I still prefer Gardevoir, I do really like him now.

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
I never used to like Gliscor. I used to get him to fill up my PokeDex, and then he would never exit the PC box ever again. However, after using him competitively, I now love him. He is a great staller and I actually really like his design now! I use him in the vast majority of my matches!

Ice Lock

Hello!
Gastrodon has become this for me recently. Never did liked it since it came out but now I'm really liking the design of it and i'm starting to enjoy in competitive since it does a very good job at stopping voltturn teams, a good check for plenty of pokemon and it stands up to rain/sand teams. I would really like to get one for my Y version, with a few specific touches to it.

MokKish

Breeding Enthustiast
Gastrodon has become this for me recently. Never did liked it since it came out but now I'm really liking the design of it and i'm starting to enjoy in competitive since it does a very good job at stopping voltturn teams, a good check for plenty of pokemon and it stands up to rain/sand teams. I would really like to get one for my Y version, with a few specific touches to it.
Was about to mention Gastrodon too! Back in the Diamond days I thought it was ugly, slow, good for nothing 'mon, but now that I've been building a doubles Trick Room team Gastrodon seems to be doing wonders with the Hidden Ability protecting its team mate and boosting its own Surf, as well as Curse making it even faster in TR and boosting Earthquake /defence. Really learned to like the little amoeba thingy now. :)

Initially I hated pretty much all of the Sinnoh pokemon (which made me kind of hate my initial playthrough of Diamond as I felt like the available pokemon choices were too limited), now I love most of them. I kinda wish I could go back in time and slap myself for that, I seriously can't believe I used to hate pokemon like Empoleon, Glaceon, and Garchomp...

I also really hate Sceptile and Gallade but their mega evolutions have made me love them. When the ruby/sapphire remakes come out I'll be using Treecko as my starter which I never thought would happen (granted I have a Torchic on Y, if I didn't I definitely would've gone for Torchic)

Last edited:

minerswhocraft

Misty Come Back!
Basically all of Gen 5 for me. Just looking at pictures of the whole generation made me upset before ever actually seeing them in action. I thought the starters were all awful and the Pokemon were all so unoriginal.

But then I started playing Black and watching the BW series in the cartoon and now it might be my all time favorite generation!

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Clefable, definitely. I've been playing Pokémon for a very, very long time, and in all those years, I never even gave Clefable a second thought. Then I decided to train one in Y because I started liking Clefairy (which is a Pokémon I only started to like because of ... hilarious fannish reasons) and knew I couldn't really use an under-evolved Pokémon in battles against my friends. So I evolved the one I was training and started using it in battles ... and then became a teensy bit notorious for having a Clefable that just will not die. And then all of a sudden, Clefable rocketed up my favorites list.

'Course, probably some of the reason why Clefable's so useful is because of its new type, but on the other hand, I don't care because all that matters to me is that my Clefable can take punches to the face and proceed to continue pissing opponents off. AND IT LOOKS PRECIOUS WHEN DOING SO. 8D

Tl;dr, Clefable is a beast. An adorable, squishy, pink, frilly beast. And I love it for that.

Last edited:

Sponge

I haven't used one yet but Skuntank has grown on me quite a bit recently. I didn't like how Stunky and Skuntank looked for the longest time but after seeing their 3d models in Pokemon X I've developed a new appreciation for how they look, especially Stunky.

Other pokemon I didn't care for (I didn't hate or dislike them) when they were first introduced were Crobat, Tyranitar, Togekiss, Magnezone, Octillery and Flygon until I had them on various teams and really enjoyed using them.

I feel this way to a somewhat lesser extent about numerous 4th gen pokemon actually. There weren't many pokemon introduced in that gen that I instantly fell in love with....so it's taken quite a while for me to start warming up to them.

Last edited:

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Clefable, definitely. I've been playing Pokémon for a very, very long time, and in all those years, I never even gave Clefable a second thought. Then I decided to train one in Y because I started liking Clefairy (which is a Pokémon I only started to like because of ... hilarious fannish reasons) and knew I couldn't really use an under-evolved Pokémon in battles against my friends. So I evolved the one I was training and started using it in battles ... and then became a teensy bit notorious for having a Clefable that just will not die. And then all of a sudden, Clefable rocketed up my favorites list.

'Course, probably some of the reason why Clefable's so useful is because of its new type, but on the other hand, I don't care because all that matters to me is that my Clefable can take punches to the face and proceed to continue pissing opponents off. AND IT LOOKS PRECIOUS WHEN DOING SO. 8D

Tl;dr, Clefable is a beast. An adorable, squishy, pink, frilly beast. And I love it for that.

I hate always loved that cute powerful thing.

Sawk and Gastrodon tbqh?
Gastrodon's bulky af and Sawk is a (somewhat) great scarfer with Sturdy + Close Combat.
Really overlooked the both of them until recently. They're really good niches in competitive if I do say so myself. Def two I like to use on teams now.

Ice Lock

Hello!
This is going to sound really odd to most people here.

Dedenne, has really grown on me lately. It's actually become my favourite out of all of the pika clones. Mainly because it's design looks really cute, but not as it's default colour but as it's shiny and it's something I really want to be using in a contest when ORAS comes out. It's also the first time I like something as a shiny as well and I'll be quite eager to catch my own one.

Bard_

Faith & Honor
Grimer and Cubone.
To be quite honest, Grimer is horribad. In terms of design! I have used it on Yellow and Crystal and, for God's sake, that thing was awesome! What can I say about Muk...

Cubone as well. He's such a poetic 'mon, haha!

Ace Of Keys

Me and My sketch pad
I felt that way about Snorlax in RBY. I thought it was useless and Gimmicky (though at the time i didn't know the word per say) however I grew to love it after seeing Ash's Snorlax in the series, and Red's in the manga. Loved how it kicked Blue's *** using its weight

Tyrantrum

Grimer and Cubone.
To be quite honest, Grimer is horribad. In terms of design! I have used it on Yellow and Crystal and, for God's sake, that thing was awesome! What can I say about Muk...

Cubone as well. He's such a poetic 'mon, haha!

I always wanted to use Cubone/Marowak on my team...I caught a shiny cubone in my x and y playthrough but the idea was to get it trained on my team...And then I got wonder traded a tyrunt and then I trained him instead and cubone went in the pc forever. Has a place though for me because it was the first time i got a shiny before beating the elite four.