• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon that everyone Hates but you Like

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Wait there's people who hate Mienshao? That's news to me since, while I don't see many people talking about it, most of the talk it does get seems positive
Mienshao always looked like a cool Pokémon to me since it has those arms that look like the really long sleeves of the Kung fu masters you see in movies and that made Mienshao stand out among the many Fighting Type Pokemon which are generally portrayed as being extremely muscular or having some sort of fist to punch things or emphasis on the legs.

KingstonUponHulbury

You know what, I'm going to give a massive shout-out to all the boring or forgotten Pokemon; the Sandslashes and Seakings, the Noctowls and Nosepasses, the Pyukumukus and Pincurchins. Not only is Pokemon is a franchise that absolutely thrives on disparity - the Zapdos is all the sweeter because of the number of Voltorb we have to endure - but all these 'ordinary' creatures are a vital part of world-building.

If we're to believe this world has a credible ecosystem and isn't merely a motley assortment of characters designed to crudely appeal to teenagers, it needs workhorse species to chew the grass and infest the seas. It's not something that's always easy to appreciate when you're knee-deep in the games, but I'd wager none of use would be as invested as we are without the background sense that each Pokemon isn't designed to cater to our exact tastes.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
You know what, I'm going to give a massive shout-out to all the boring or forgotten Pokemon; the Sandslashes and Seakings, the Noctowls and Nosepasses, the Pyukumukus and Pincurchins. Not only is Pokemon is a franchise that absolutely thrives on disparity - the Zapdos is all the sweeter because of the number of Voltorb we have to endure - but all these 'ordinary' creatures are a vital part of world-building.

If we're to believe this world has a credible ecosystem and isn't merely a motley assortment of characters designed to crudely appeal to teenagers, it needs workhorse species to chew the grass and infest the seas. It's not something that's always easy to appreciate when you're knee-deep in the games, but I'd wager none of use would be as invested as we are without the background sense that each Pokemon isn't designed to cater to our exact tastes.
I think Noctowl is interesting and has a neat ability to see hidden things which really hasn’t been touched upon since Johto. It basically can shoot out a laser beam to find Ghost Pokémon which is really cool.

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
I forgot to mention it in the OP but I want to give a shout-out to my baby Impidimp!

There's something about it I find adorable. But barely anyone agreed with me when we first saw it lol

Granted a lot of the hate for it died down once Grimmsnarl was revealed but I think it's still something I should mention

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I forgot to mention it in the OP but I want to give a shout-out to my baby Impidimp!

There's something about it I find adorable. But barely anyone agreed with me when we first saw it lol

Granted a lot of the hate for it died down once Grimmsnarl was revealed but I think it's still something I should mention
I don’t think anyone really ever hated Impidimp. It was more meh until the games were released mainly because we literally knew nothing about it unti about two weeks before launch.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Mythical-Moonlight said:
Wait there's people who hate Mienshao? That's news to me since, while I don't see many people talking about it, most of the talk it does get seems pretty positive. Especially in comparison to it's Pre-Evo.

The only negative thing I've heard about it is that it takes way too long to evolve. Is that the reason why people don't like it?

I personally don't hate it but I think its design is very strange-looking, particularly its arms. I also dislike that it evolves from its base stage at Level 50. I have to admit that I don't like any of the Gen V Fighting-types in general however, so I'm not just biased against Kojondo (Mienshao).

TwilightBlade

Wait there's people who hate Mienshao? That's news to me since, while I don't see many people talking about it, most of the talk it does get seems pretty positive. Especially in comparison to it's Pre-Evo.

The only negative thing I've heard about it is that it takes way too long to evolve. Is that the reason why people don't like it?

I haven't seen that much hate for it lately but I remember some people not liking Mienshao when it and Mienfoo were revealed. Same kind of goes for the natural disaster trio but I don't want to get into that. :p

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
As a Johnny-type player, I am naturally drawn toward Pokémon that other people dislike (for reasons other than that they're popular) or ignore. Because of this, over the years, I have used Pokémon like Vileplume, Jumpluff, Masquerain, Floatzel, Beheeyem, Delphox, Palossand, and Arctovish, and this is only scratching the surface. My teams are made up almost entirely of these Pokémon, and it's been part of my mission statement to show that, when used right, can give even dedicated competitive battlers a hard time, and I've been putting up battles onto YouTube since Pokémon Battle Revolution to demonstrate just that.

This one, for instance, goes out to all the fans of Greedent out there (though Toxapex is on the thumbnail instead):

I've seen a lot of criticism towards Sunigoon (Cursola) in recent months, which I don't quite understand since I think the species looks intriguing and has an interesting basis. I would probably never use one on my team since I tend to avoid monotyped Pokemon, but I think Sunigoon is probably my favorite new evolution introduced in Shield and Sword.

Cursola is my favorite Generation VIII Pokémon due to not only being an interesting take on a pre-existing Pokémon, but the first Pokémon created to make a political statement.

I mentioned prior that I'm a Johnny-type player. We have a lot of fun trying to figure stuff out. If something doesn't make sense, we are determined to find the logic in its creation. If something has an obvious gaping weakness, we are compelled to find a way to compensate for that. Cursola fits both, being a Pokémon with an Ability that requires physical contact but with low HP and Defense. It took me weeks, but I think I know what Game Freak intended with Cursola. I've since put it to the test in battles, both Casual and Ranked, and I think I was correct.

(By the way, サニゴーン is transliterated as "sanigoon," but the "goon" part is is not pronounced like "dragoon" or ""rangoon." My best guess is that it's intended to be "Sunnygone.")

Delphox. It's one of my favourite starters period. It has a very majestic look to it, the colours go well together and I really like its design inspiration. I don't really understand why people hate it so much. It definitely has its fans though, since it did decently well in the Pokemon of the year poll. It's such a shame it (and even Chesnaught) will always be overshadowed by Greninja, which is such a shame as I really feel it deserves better than this.

The biggest criticisms about Delphox when it was new were that it has a shallower movepool than Chesnaught or Greninja, namely that it didn't get many moves that allowed it to take on Pokémon with a type advantage, which both Chesnaught and Greninja got plenty of. On the other hand, Fennekin and Braixen have been pretty popular since they were introduced, with Fennekin being a continuing presence in the Super Smash Bros. games and Braixen being Serena's signature Pokémon in the anime and playable in Pokkén Tournament as the closest thing to a Magical Girl in the National Pokédex (at least at the time--might be Hattrem now). Delphox's signature move, Mystical Fire, also has an unusually low power of 75 and really only works well on special attackers.

That being said, Delphox did wind up my favorite of the fully evolved Kalos starters by character design (though the Kalos set is one of my favorites in general).

I did use a Delphox online in Generation VI though, but I ought to try it again if the Fennekin line is ever made available in Generation VIII, since I did this before Magician was available.

Swanna is also somewhat boring to look at as a Pokémon. All of the other Water/Flying Pokemon have interesting features to them with Ducklett being an exception because it just looks like a normal duck like Farfetch’d without a leek would look except it’s blue. Pelipper is interesting because it looks like its beak takes up half of its body, Mantyke/Mantine and Gyrados are fully aquatic and are so easy to forget that they’re part Flying. And Cramorant will stuff random Pokémon literally down its throat to launch them at it’s opponents like a missile launcher. All Swanna has are the head feathers that resemble a crown and blue feathers that form some sort of bikini top. That’s it. Nothing eye catching and I actually forget that it exists sometimes.

I dunno, I think its clamshell bra is hilarious on it. All in all though, I don't think Swanna lacks in interesting features, but they're focused on ballet, particularly Swan Lake, and as such are more subtle than normal for Pokémon. (The clamshell bra resembles the top of Odette's signature dress, the feathers pointing up oin the sides of the head is based on Odette's headgear, and Pokédexes mention their dancing on the water's surface at evening as reference to one of the musical numbers.) Despite being Skyla's signature Pokémon though, I do remember Swanna being quicky forgotten. Probaby the most forgotten fully evolved Pokémon in all of Generation V, which says something as that was the most forgettable generation (which is a shame, as I think it's full of really interesting Pokémon).

We really need more Pokémon taking inspiration from Russian folklore and literature.

Pincurchin is apparently popular enough to get a plush, at the very least!

46x8lqq.png

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
Easily the Zubat family. I see memes everywhere about how Zubat is annoying and you run into sooooo many of them in the caves, but I actually added one to my team in Heart Gold and it's actually pretty good. Granted these were in the days before Leech Life was buffed, and it takes a while to get going, but once Zubat learned Bite and Wing Attack it basically became my team's MVP for a good chunk of the playthrough. Golbat dominated Morty's gym, was better against Psychics than I thought it would be, and it evolved into Crobat pretty early on so it dominated Chuck's gym as well.

Also most of the Generation 5 and 6 Pokemon. Yes there are the lame designs like the ice cream and the rubbish bag, but there are also a LOT of underrated gems in there like Lilligant, Galvantula and Conkeldurr. For Generation 6 I love all three starters, while Greninja does get a lot of love and recognition, I actually like Chesnaught and Delphox more than it. To be honest the only Generation 6 Pokemon I don't care that much for are Aromatisse and Slurpuff, but that is mostly down to the fact I'm not a big fan of trade evolutions.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Luthor said:
I've seen a bit of negativity regarding Alolan Exeggutor. Personally I love the lore behind it and while it is an odd dragon type that to me makes it all better.

I think my main problem with it is that Game Freak took a species of Pokemon that was already quite unpopular to begin with, and rather than give it some dignity, they essentially turned it into a meme.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Also most of the Generation 5 and 6 Pokemon. Yes there are the lame designs like the ice cream and the rubbish bag, but there are also a LOT of underrated gems in there like Lilligant, Galvantula and Conkeldurr.

Hey, I quite like the Vanillite and Trubbish lines! I guess that falls under this topic.

TornadoAdvisory

The Imminent Storm
Qwilfish is an easy pick for me, for a multitude of reasons.

It's design is a bit on the goofy side, but I mean goofy in a good way. It also helps that I just generally find pufferfish/blowfish/porcupine fish/etc. fascinating as a species in general, so I naturally gravitate towards Qwilfish.

It also brings back fond memories of me screwing with my friends in high school by pairing up a Swift Swim Qwilfish with a Kyogre (This was Gen V, so no Primal Reversion) and then letting the former unleash chaos in the rain (These were more akin to 'playground battles' than actual competitive battles, so with no rules everyone went nuts). Needless to say, it was greatly satisfying.

I also must give an honorable mention to Carbink if it counts, as I feel like not many fans pay it much heed and overlook it in favor of Diancie. It sadly may not offer much on the battling-side of things, but I still find its design very endearing.

TwilightBlade

I also must give an honorable mention to Carbink if it counts, as I feel like not many fans pay it much heed and overlook it in favor of Diancie. It sadly may not offer much on the battling-side of things, but I still find its design very endearing.

I always thought Carbink and Diancie should've been related by evolution. Diancie doesn't look like my idea of what a mythical should look like anyway, so to me it would've been better if Diancie was just a normal Pokemon that evolved from Carbink. :]

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I always thought Carbink and Diancie should've been related by evolution. Diancie doesn't look like my idea of what a mythical should look like anyway, so to me it would've been better if Diancie was just a normal Pokemon that evolved from Carbink. :]
I actually have my own theory that Diancie was originally going to be an evolution for Carbink but then they realized that they needed a mythical and changed Diancie’s status as an evolution into a mythical Pokémon. My guess is that more Gen VI Pokémon were going to Mega Evolve like Diancie but then decided to make it only for Diancie to make people think it was always planned to be mythical. Diancie’s Dex entries imply that it is an evolution oof Carbink.

Leonhart

Imagineer
TornadoAdvisory said:

I admit that I'm extremely biased against Melecie (Carbink) since I just don't see its appeal. There are many quirky Pokemon that resemble inanimate objects that I'm fond of such as Cleffy (Klefki) from the same generation as Melecie, but I just find the latter to be somewhat disappointing in both design and type combination.

moneylesswario

Gone But Not Forgotten
VoltorbEVoltorb/, they're severely bashed by the anti-Gen 1 crowd as "uncreative", "just an object", "a Poke Ball with a face", "it turns upside down upon evolving!", and various other negative terms, but simplicity is a strength from a design standpoint. Various other RPGs have mimics, and I think one based around a common object (Poke Ball) was actually clever.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
Not sure if it’s actively “hated”, but I haven’t heard a lot positive about Galarian Stunfisk. The original had of course ascended to memehood but its Galar form hasn’t gotten any love I’m aware of so far. It was really overshadowed by the other variants of the gen, particularly ones that got regional evos (Sirfetch’d, Cursola) or a new lease on life thanks to a type change (Darmanitan, Weezing). It’s redundant Ground/Steel didn’t help since Steelix and Excadrill are both very popular and included in the base game. But all this together made me gravitate toward the bear trap fish even more.

Just like @moneylesswario mentioned about Voltorb, Galarian Stunfisk fills the role of Mimic, a classic RPG staple. It doesn’t do the job as good as its predecessor since you can tell that’s not a Poké Ball from a mile away, but its animation in the overworld when you get close is spot on. I’m also kind of a sucker for Pokémon that can change types mid match so I really like the Mimicry ability. Also worth noting is it’s meta shiny, where it takes on the colors of its Unovan form. Alolan Grimer and Muk did a similar thing but I like the way it looks on Galarian Stunfisk more :)