1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon That look Connected But Aren't

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by SlowPokeBroKing, Feb 25, 2013.

1. SlowPokeBroKing

SlowPokeBroKing Future Gym Leader

We all have guessed at the Venonat-Butterfree mix-up and sometimes we wonder if certain Pokemon were meant to have a connection, but don't.

Examples:
    Gastrodon-->Lapras
    Luvdisc-->Alomomola
    Tauros-->Bouffalant

Are there any Pokemon you think should have been connected somehow?

2. Dew Watatsumi

Dew Watatsumi Water Type E-3

Cubone and baby Kangaskhan

3. Endolise

Endolise TengenToppaBoogaloo

Not any that come to mind, but I think that Tauros and Bouffalant are better off unconnected since one is based on a bull and the other is based on a buffalo.

4. SlowPokeBroKing

I see where you're coming from but certain evolutionary relationships to Pokemon aren't specifically based on actual animal relationships like Calf-->Bull or Caterpillar-->Cocoon-->Butterfly. How many caterpillars hatch from cocoons as hornets? How many rottweilers grow up to be doberman pinschers? I look at Pokemon evolutionary relationships to just connect two at least similar kind of creatures. Also, Tauros and Bouffalant are so similar in color scheme and body style and everything that they always looked related to me whether they evolve into each other or not.

5. *~Silver*~

*~Silver*~ Well-Known Member

Patrat and Rattata are two for me just because they're both based on rats/mice...

Other than that I can't think of any...

6. OnceDone

OnceDone Well-Known Member

I most defineitely think Luvdisc should've evolved into Alomomola.
    The first time i saw Alomomola, I actually did think it was an evolution of Luvdisc!

7. Colt45

Colt45 Cobalt

Luvdisc -> alomomola
    Pachirisu -> Emolga

8. AJ

AJ ❖☢☼☯☾♛☮

gastrodon and lapras?

how....

9. ECM

ECM Well-Known Member

When I first saw Spheal, I thought it was going to be a pre-evolution of Seel. That was until I found out it evolved into something different.

10. Colt45

Colt45 Cobalt

Because of the name?

11. SlowPokeBroKing

shellos.jpg
    I was almost positive Shellos was a Lapras pre-evo. It wasn't until I looked it up that I found out Shellos and Gastrodon didn't complete a line with Lapras.

12. GoldenHouou

GoldenHouou Up To No Good

Seconding the "totally thought Shellos was Lapras' pre-evo" thing. Also, way back in Red and Blue I thought Farfetch'd evolved into Doduo. I think my logic was that they were both birds and that Doduo came after Fetchy in the Pokédex. In my defense I wasn't the only one though, at least around the kids I knew.

13. AuroriumX

AuroriumX The Interceptor

Pachirisu and Pikachu come to mind immediately. They just couldn't be more similar.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  14. Specialbeamcanon

Specialbeamcanon SUCH PERFECTION

Back in R/S I thought Kecleon was a pre evo of Lickitung since the pokedex book was showing an artwork with its tougue sticking out. I was wrong when I checked the evo page though XD

15. Luthor

Luthor Well-Known Member

i know a few people who looked at geodude and thought it should've been a pre-evo to onix.

16. T-Bolt

T-Bolt Electrifying.

Zoroark and Mienshao.......

Oh! and Graveler and Machamp. It always seemed strange that golem had two hands, but when machoke evolved, it got four.

17. RzK

RzK Meow

Some examples coming to my mind:
    Luvdisc/Alomomola
    Tauros/Miltank
    Throh/Sawk
    Marowak/Kangaskhan
    any more?
    Oh yes
    Pachirisu/Emolga.

18. Golemite

Golemite Well-Known Member

I too first thought that Shellos was a pre-evo for Lapras.

There seems to be a connection between Luvdisc and Alamomola now that you mention it... never thought about it before though.

Cloyster looks like a Gastly hiding in a shell. :p Also, Clamperl could've been a baby Shellder.

Aaand yup. There's the Venonat -> Butterfree and Baby Kangaskhan -> Cubone/Marowak thingy. Weren't they meant to evolve like this? At least Venonat was supposed to evolve into Butterfree when they first planned it.

There's certain sameness in the shape, size, and "hairstyle" of Vanillite and Castform. :D Speaking of Castform, I thought that the sunshine Cherrim is going to be a new form for it when I first saw a picture of one...

And yup, the "Pikachus" of each gen of course resemble each other. The same way I think Audino resembles Minccino. Could be their third form in my opinion, if you think of only appearance. Sylveon also has this certain Audino look.

Seismitoad looks like it could evolve from this new starter guy, Froakie.

Throh and Sawk seem related. Doh.

Petilil and Lilligant have both something "Ralts-ey" and "Bellosom-ey" in them. :)

One would think that Shelmet would evolve into Escavalier and Karrablast into Accelgor, but they don't, and that's their thing. Pawniard and Bisharp also relate to Escavalier's and Shelmet's appearance.

Heatmor and Heatran are like brothers.

Durant makes you think that it had something to do with either Spinarak or Joltik line. Or actually, maybe Nincada!

Some Sawsbuck look like they could be members of the Swords of Justice. I also thought that Sawsbuck was going to be Stantler's next stage.

Golett and Golurk remind me of the Legendary Golems.

I bet there are others, but just some that come to mind. Some clearer than the others.

And finally my take on the Tauros -> Bouffalant thing. Yeah, species can change, so I'd have no problem with it. Similar looks are enough, and sometimes even they don't matter that much.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  19. onleal91

onleal91 Member

Well, they did do Pidove (Dove/Pidgeon) in to Unfezant (Pheasant). Still birds though, but different species, so I would actually be fine with Tauros -> Bouffalant

20. Dew Watatsumi

Dew Watatsumi Water Type E-3

Did anyone think that Sawsbuck was a Stantler evo?