• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon That look Connected But Aren't

Azulart

Shiny Hunter
Beartic and Usaring

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
Remember when people thought Lucario was Mewthree?

MyNameisMoto

Maybe the artists just sucked at making unique faces back in 1st gen.

Venonat was supposed to evolve in Butterfree, and Metapod was supposed to evolved in Venomoth. I'm sure they had different names before they changed the evolutionary families.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Remember when people thought Lucario was Mewthree?

Tell me you're joking. :|

Assuming that you aren't, I can now say that I am very glad to have missed out on that time in the franchise.

Venonat was supposed to evolve in Butterfree, and Metapod was supposed to evolved in Venomoth. I'm sure they had different names before they changed the evolutionary families.

You see, I don't understand how that would work. Butterfree is obviously a butterfly and Venomoth is obviously a moth, so even if you switched their names around, you'd still have a caterpillar evolving into a moth and a gnat evolving into a butterfly. I mean, I'll admit, it's not totally impossible, but it just seems really unlikely.

Last edited:

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
Tell me you're joking. :|

Assuming that you aren't, I can now say that I am very glad to have missed out on that time in the franchise.

You see, I don't understand how that would work. Butterfree is obviously a butterfly and Venomoth is obviously a moth, so even if you switched their names around, you'd still have a caterpillar evolving into a moth and a gnat evolving into a butterfly. I mean, I'll admit, it's not totally impossible, but it just seems really unlikely.

I'm not. Also, look on the star on Garchomp, Carvharna, and Sharpedo. They have some sort of link besides being based on Sharks

Alli

Nidoking / Nidoqueen / Kangaskhan / Rhydon
Feebas / Basculin

Those are the only ones I can come up with that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Liz Azzimagica

Angelic Trainer
I remember hearing that people thought plusle and minum we're pre-evo forms of Latios and Latias XD

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
I remember hearing that people thought plusle and minum we're pre-evo forms of Latios and Latias XD

At the time, I thought that Latias/Latios would turn out to be descendants of Lugia, although nowadays I don't see any sort of resemblance between them.

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.

Rakansen

ラルフ
Alomomola looks so much like Luvdisc that it still bothers me how they aren't connected whatsoever, so are Sawk and Throh, but I'm positive they WILL be connected in the future, just like Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan.

I noticed that most Pokémon that look like they are connected but aren't are from Gen V. Simisear and Infernape, Alomomola and Luvdisc, Bouffalant and Tauros, the list goes on. I think they did this on purpose as a way of showing how Unova is different from the rest, the Pokémon there look physically similar but they are not connected, just as how in real life there are dogs everywhere in the world but each breed slightly differs from each other. I guess that's the best way of explaining it. :(

Cutty

Forever now
Bidoof and Patrat (different species but look somewhat similar).
Huntail and Eelektrik.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
I noticed that most Pokémon that look like they are connected but aren't are from Gen V. Simisear and Infernape, Alomomola and Luvdisc, Bouffalant and Tauros, the list goes on. I think they did this on purpose as a way of showing how Unova is different from the rest, the Pokémon there look physically similar but they are not connected, just as how in real life there are dogs everywhere in the world but each breed slightly differs from each other. I guess that's the best way of explaining it. :(

Bingo-bango, that was exactly the intention.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Caterpillars do metamorphose into moths in real life, and flies don't metamorphose into anything in real life. It wouldn't make any less sense species-wise than it does now.

GalladeRocks

Son of a Beach
At the time, I thought that Latias/Latios would turn out to be descendants of Lugia, although nowadays I don't see any sort of resemblance between them.

I thought about the same thing. I initially thought Latias evolved into Latios and Latios evolved into Lugia. Looking back, I have no idea why :p

Also, as a kid, I thought that Cloyster evolved into Gastly. The first time I saw Pokemon was in that Time magazine that they were on the cover and had a huge article inside. They put all of the Pokemon in order but only with headshots. Cloyster and Gastly were just round black heads, so I thought Cloyster evolved into it and the evolutionary lines were connected in five stages, starting with Shellder and ending with Gengar. Of course, I figured out that mistake really quickly.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

And I really wish they hadn't done that, it really cheapens the "fresh start" feel BW was going for.

Oshakpop

Eeveelution Master
I thought Plusle and Minun were gender-specfic pre-evolutions of Pichu, that could be obtained only when Pikachu's happiness was high when breeding. I was like 10 then!

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
I had a theory waaaay back that Togetic and Latias/Latios were related. Because they both have that red/blue rounded triangle pattern on them. I think in a way, thematically they are connected, but not evolution-wise. Then Togekiss came along and abandoned the rounded triangle pattern.