• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon that make you go "Oh No" when you have to fight them.

TyranatarGojira

Are there any Pokemon that when you run into them, or a trainer throws them out you just go "Oh No" because you know they are going to be a pain to deal with?

For me, if I see a trainer throw out Milotic, I have that reaction. It always seems to be bulky enough to weather a few supereffective hits, has recovery moves, and it's abilities, Marvel Scale and Competetive, make it so attempts to weaken it will likely just make it stronger.

Greedent's also getting there, due to counter and Super Fang having a chance of inflicting a lot of damage or even a KO on my lead pokemon, and my losing berries I shook out of the tree.

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
Toxapex.

I use one as a physical wall in battles against my friend and it has both Scald and Toxic so I have zero issues at putting up status conditions against them. Couple that with regenerator and it’s a very difficult Pokémon to take down. They usually don’t have an answer to that.

When it is sent out against me I say “oh (something word other than no)”. I have just as hard of a time of taking it down as they do. It’s such a hard Pokémon to deal with that the only thing you could say is “oh no” and hope you are able to get that critical hit on it.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Milotic was the first thing that popped in my mind, but I might have just been thinking about Cynthia’s.

Also Kingdra, pre Gen 6. It’s only weakness was Dragon.
Yea I remember that Kingdra. It was a pain to take down.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Most legendaries (especially Landorus Therian), (sometimes) Dracovish, Garchomp, Toxapex, Milotic, and Rhyperior & Excadrill (since they're almost always holding Weakness Policies)

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
Mimikyu. Disguise eats up one turn, and it's only weak to Ghost and Steel.

That reminds me of Zoroark with its mimic like ability. Those were a bit of a pain.

Last edited:

TrottingMinccino

Can also jump!
Most Psudo-Legendaries. especially Hydregion, Garchomp, and Haxorus, to name a few. They're super tough and very difficult to beat all around, even with Type advantages. With most of them being Dragons, I make it a policy to have at least one Fairy type!

Aegislash also gives me a sense of dread, because you're dealing with wicked high offenses or annoyingly high defenses. About the only time I can beat one is if I catch them Super-Effectively in Blade Forme, which isn't often because of switches to Shield Forme OR the fact that my pokemon has already been taken down by that crazy attack power!

Also, anything with Shell Smash (Especially if they have a White Herb to circumvent the Defense drops). If you don't have a move that can prevent, remove, or ignore the stat spikes, you're as good as doomed! It runs rampant in Online battles, too...

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Also Kingdra, pre Gen 6. It’s only weakness was Dragon.

Yea I remember that Kingdra. It was a pain to take down.

My reaction, exactly. Clair's Kingdra was a pain for me in SoulSilver, even with supereffective moves (on my Pidgeot, no less!) I eventually beat her with my Umbreon spamming Faint Attack over and over, since her Smokescreen had reduced my accuracy.

Most Psudo-Legendaries. especially Hydregion, Garchomp, and Haxorus, to name a few. They're super tough and very difficult to beat all around, even with Type advantages. With most of them being Dragons, I make it a policy to have at least one Fairy type!

Everybody remembers Lance's three underlevelled Dragonites, Drake's Salamence, Cynthia's Garchomp and Ghetsis's Hydreigon. The last one even became a kind of meme when it first came out.

Also, does anyone go "Oh no" when they see someone with a Miltank, just because of Whitney?

Ultra Beast Lover

Totem Mimikyu because you have to hit it twice and realize that the game knows the Mimikyu strategy, I have to reset during the Totem Ribombee fight just so I don't have to deal with Blissey. Otherwise I'm usually ok with fighting Pokemon though when I played Crystal version, after the dogs were... unsealed? I did freak out whenever I heard the wild battle music because I kind of didn't want to worry about them and the 'you're encountering a wild Pokemon' alarm would annoy me so I tried to avoid the grass.

Also I had trouble with the rivals, bosses, and some Gym Leaders not named Whitney because I didn't know what Pokemon they had, what level they were, and in the case of rivals and bosses, where they were located. I don't worry anymore but I used to worry a lot.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
In the past I’d say Spiritomb before the Fairy typing was introduced as that thing could absorb hits quite easily, Whitney’s Miltank during Gen II, And Kingdra pre-Gen IV. All were pains to battle. Kingdra was especially bad considering in Gen II you weren’t very likely to have a Dragonair leveled high enough to take on Clair’s Kingdra and in Emerald, Bagon was hidden inside a cave that you needed Waterfall to get into but you couldn’t use Waterfall outside of battle until you defeated Juan and that just left you with Altaria and Flygon who were in trouble since Juan’s Kingdra knew Ice Beam which dealt 4x damage to them.

TyranatarGojira

In the past I’d say Spiritomb before the Fairy typing was introduced as that thing could absorb hits quite easil
Yeah, Toxic Stalling used to be my go to strategy.

Also back in Gen VI I hated how often people would throw out Darkrai or Dark Void Smeargle. Having your whole team just put to sleep was very, very cheesy. Then I found out Magic Bounce works on that, and started spamming Mega Diancie, because if they are gonna cheese me, I'll cheese them right back.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Clefable, Chansey, Cresselia, Corsola-G, & Corviknight are all some annoying Pokémon for various reasons like status, their abilities, constant recovery, or some combination of all 3. What a coincidence they all begin with the letter C.
As for offensive Pokémon, absolutely despise Gyarados

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Emolga gives me bad memories of fighting Elesa every time I see one. That Volt Switch, man... o_O

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
My reaction, exactly. Clair's Kingdra was a pain for me in SoulSilver, even with supereffective moves (on my Pidgeot, no less!) I eventually beat her with my Umbreon spamming Faint Attack over and over, since her Smokescreen had reduced my accuracy.

Everybody remembers Lance's three underlevelled Dragonites, Drake's Salamence, Cynthia's Garchomp and Ghetsis's Hydreigon. The last one even became a kind of meme when it first came out.

Also, does anyone go "Oh no" when they see someone with a Miltank, just because of Whitney?
I remember Lance's Dragonite and trying to catch it lol. That was such a meme, people trying to catch it, that Game Freak had one of them as a competition reward.

Me. Not so much now, but that thing was such a nuisance with rollout and milk drink.