• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon that should have the Dragon type added to them in X&Y

Ska Draco

With Gen 6's X&Y games having the new Fairy type added which is super effective against Dragon type, I think it is finally time for some of the following Pokemon to have the Dragon type added to them.

Some of these Pokemon would have been too powerful if they had the Dragon type added to them from the off, but I think the game has progressed far enough now especially with the new Fairy typing that this will no longer be so much of a problem.

#7 Steelix ;208;

Not all Dragons have to have wings! Many wingless Dragons are prominent in different cultures (China a good example) and such mythical beings have variants such as Wyrm Dragons, which are wingless land Dragons and these are what Steelix is based on. Overall, Steelix resembling a Wyrm so much would make it a pretty cool Dragon type in my eyes, not forgetting the fact that Steelix can learn Dragonbreath at level 33.

#6 Tyranitar ;248;

This gargantuan creature is an awesome Pokemon. Take one look at this and many would be screaming 'Dragon, Dragon!'. It resembles somewhat of a Dragon especially in it's destructive nature. If this Pokemon was a Dragon type initially I don't think many would question it just like Haxorus. It can also learn Dragon Dance.

#5 Yanmega ;469;

Yanmega, a giant Dragonfly, resembles a Dragon greatly. A Bug/Dragon type would be really cool and a great addition to the game. If Flygon is an undisputed Dragon then I don't see why Yanmega isn't one. It's so Dragon like, and the Bug type would reach a whole new level.

#4 Milotic ;350;

Based off a serpentine a common Dragon variant, wingless and elegant; Milotic could have been a cool addition to the Dragon type. While not necessarily being ferocious in nature, it is powerful like a Dragon and it's physiology resembles one greatly.

#3 Aerodactyl ;142;

I often wonder why this wasn't added as a Dragon. Dragons are thought to have originated in cultures from the findings of Dinosaur bones, these reptilian creatures arose from past fossil findings resembling what people used to think who these bones belonged to, Dragons; therefore giving Aerodactyl a perfect reason to be a Dragon type. Aerodactyl, based on Pterodactyl, looks more like a Dragon-like cousin to the Pterodactyl than it actually does look like a Pterodactyl. Aerodactyl can learn Dragon moves and even breathe fire since it can learn Flamethrower. The prehistoric Pokemon is very much a liking itself to common characteristics associated with Dragons. In all, Aerodactyl looks like your stereotypical Dragon (The tipped tail tops it off!) backed up by it being able to breathe fire and learn Dragon moves, this Pokemon really should have Dragon type added to it next Gen.

#2 Charizard ;006;

Call me what you like and I don't mean to start up this old debate again but come on. Charizard is a Dragon. I don't have to explain why. The only reason why it wasn't originally given the Dragon typing, I believe, is that they didn't want to make one starter seemingly so much better than the other three. The typing may have been a bit overpowered in Gen 1 also given Dragon's resistance to Water. But after 6 generations these problems no longer exert themselves as much, so Gamefreak, bite the bullet and make Charizard a dual Fire/Dragon type. Even Lance the Dragon Master uses him!

#1 Gyrados ;130;

I guess you saw this one coming. In Gen 1 and maybe 2 I perfectly understand why they didn't go through with making Gyrados a Dragon type as it would have been insanely powerful since Dragon resists Electric and Grass and the only Dragon move in Gen 1 being Dragon Rage wasn't capable of delivering super effective hits since the move only ever inflicted 40HP damage. Thus, giving Gyrados ONE weakness, Ice. Given the amount of times Gyrados is encountered in the game and how many opportunities you have of catching one, Gyrados having this typing would make the game too hard or easy respectively which would frustrate people.

CHINESE mythology states that when a CARP reaches the top of the stream, it becomes a DRAGON. Yes, Gyrados is based off a Chinese Dragon in case you didn't notice. This sea serpent is of course a Dragon and deserves the typing for it's physiology and mythology behind it.

With the addition of the Fairy type, powerful Ice Pokemon and attacks and new Dragon moves being super effective on a Water/Dragon type, Gyrados really would be not so overpowered. Not to mention it could finally rid itself of that awful typing of Water/Flying which is utterly pointless since Gyrados can't even learn Fly. All it does is make it 4x weak to Electric!

Gyrados can learn Dragon moves and is used by Lance the Dragon master and is the perfect Sea Serpent Dragon. I don't think twice about including it in my Dragon teams.

Gyrados tops my list and is the one I'm most hopeful of having a type revamp.

Last edited:

Schade

Metallic Wonder
I agree on Milotic, but other than that, i don't think we need any Dragons outside of the ones that will be introduced later

Ska Draco

I find it funny that you agree on Milotic but not Gyrados :S

This is just my personal touch I guess on the rest of them haha maybe some of them to hopefully get it.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
I agree solely on Milotic.

Was rather surprised Whiscash didn't end up on this, or Crawdaunt, beng the Dragon Shrimp and all <_<

Steelix, Tyranitar, and your top three are really stretchng it.

I don't agree with Tyranitar. It has a nice niche in being one of the few non-dragon pseudos. Dark/Rock is also a really cool and unique typing, and it would be a shame if it ended up being Rock/Dragon. Dark/Dragon would be kind of cool, but that should be a concept given to a new Pokemon rather than forced onto an old one with nothing wrong with it. Dragon/Dark would also make sandstream more harmful than helpful.

Milotic and Gyarados are the only ones I really agree on. None of the other ones make full sense conceptually, other than the fact that they vaguely look like dragons.

Ska Draco

I don't agree with Tyranitar. It has a nice niche in being one of the few non-dragon pseudos. Dark/Rock is also a really cool and unique typing, and it would be a shame if it ended up being Rock/Dragon. Dark/Dragon would be kind of cool, but that should be a concept given to a new Pokemon rather than forced onto an old one with nothing wrong with it. Dragon/Dark would also make sandstream more harmful than helpful.

Milotic and Gyarados are the only ones I really agree on. None of the other ones make full sense conceptually, other than the fact that they vaguely look like dragons.

Fair enough with Tyranitar.

Game developers obviously did base Steelix on a Dragon giving that it's based on a Wyrm and it can learn Dragonbreath, why not go ahead and give it Dragon typing.

Charizard's whole design is that of a Dragon and the same goes to a lesser extent with Aerodactyl.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Fair enough with Tyranitar.

Game developers obviously did base Steelix on a Dragon giving that it's based on a Wyrm and it can learn Dragonbreath, why not go ahead and give it Dragon typing.

Charizard's whole design is that of a Dragon and the same goes to a lesser extent with Aerodactyl.

Steelix due to it's body hardening from the pressure underground, and due to it evolving with a Metal Coat, not a Dragon Scale or the such.

It can't be Dragon/Steel due to it's Ground Type being it spending it's entirety underground, and it's Steel Type referencing the above, which Dragon also can't replace.

Charmander line was based on the salamander, not a dragon first and foremost, while Aerodactyl has nothing to do with dagons except it's real life version living in the same time period as dinosaurs, which are commonly misperceived as draconic in Pokémon.

steelix should be dark type becuase it learns crunch

This.

You can't make Slowking a Fire/Grass Type Pokémon becauseit learns Flamethrower and Energy Ball.

Retro-Chaos X

Psychic Aficionado
I disagree with every on you listed except for Yanmega since it is a Dragonfly.

Some of the ones you listed are just silly - Tyranitar is NOT a Dragon, more like a Dinosaur, so it certainly shouldn't be Dragon-type. Same with Steelix, how is it a Dragon? Milotic is more like a Sea Serpent than a Dragon as well.
Also changing pokemon with dual-types would not be a good idea either, especially the ones you listed from Gen I since they have been those types too long.

Ska Draco

I disagree with every on you listed except for Yanmega since it is a Dragonfly.

Some of the ones you listed are just silly - Tyranitar is NOT a Dragon, more like a Dinosaur, so it certainly shouldn't be Dragon-type. Same with Steelix, how is it a Dragon? Milotic is more like a Sea Serpent than a Dragon as well.
Also changing pokemon with dual-types would not be a good idea either, especially the ones you listed from Gen I since they have been those types too long.

It's just my opinion and personal touch added, I don't mind if anyone disagrees.

If Tyranitar shouldn't be a Dragon then why is Haxorus one?

Type in Wyrm on Google and imagine it having steel-like boulders for it's body and you'll see what I mean why I think Steelix is a Dragon contender.

Sea Serpents and Serpents are often Dragon-esque creatures, the two strongly interwine

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
It's just my opinion and personal touch added, I don't mind if anyone disagrees.

If Tyranitar shouldn't be a Dragon then why is Haxorus one?

Type in Wyrm on Google and imagine it having steel-like boulders for it's body and you'll see what I mean why I think Steelix is a Dragon contender.

Sea Serpents and Serpents are often Dragon-esque creatures, the two strongly interwine

Haxorus already is a Dragon and isn't dual Typed, whereas Tyranitar has two Types that are already fitting, so it doesn't need Dragon Typing to begin with.

Ska Draco

Haxorus already is a Dragon and isn't dual Typed, whereas Tyranitar has two Types that are already fitting, so it doesn't need Dragon Typing to begin with.

I know but he was saying because Tyranitar is a Dinosaur like Pokemon it therefore should not be a Dragon when Haxorus is similar to Tyranitar. Dragons and Dinosaurs are similar in a way.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
I know but he was saying because Tyranitar is a Dinosaur like Pokemon so shouldn't be a Dragon when Haxorus is the similar. Dragons and Dinosaurs are similar in a way.

No.

Just no.

I've heard this everywhere, and dinosaurs have little to nothing in common with dragons except that they both start with the letter d.

How Tyranitar is dinosaur-like is beyond me.

Haxorus is nothing like a dinosaur.

ECM

I disagree on Steelix and Tyranitar. Aerodactyl I could go either way. I fully agree on Yanmega, Gyarados and Charizard. As far as Milotic, I think it should become a Fairy type instead. Just my opinion. I wish Ampharos didn't need to mega-evolve to get dragon type, but at least it still has it in some way. Another Pokémon that I can see possibly getting it is Sceptile, but I don't care if they give it to it or not.

Naito

For what purpose would it be? They would gain weakness to fairy if nothing else and they are good as they are. Especially Tyranitar. Other problem I see here is that Charizard is the evolution of a starter pokemon and giving it the dragon type would give it a huge advantage against the other two.
Anyway,I don't understand why is no one protesting for Stunfisk and Eelektross to being retyped to water since they are based on aquatic animals.

Retro-Chaos X

Psychic Aficionado
I know but he was saying because Tyranitar is a Dinosaur like Pokemon it therefore should not be a Dragon when Haxorus is similar to Tyranitar. Dragons and Dinosaurs are similar in a way.

I didn't say Tyranitar was a Dinosaur, I'm saying that it looks similar to one - when looking at it, Godzilla comes to mind. Haxorus is not similar to Tyranitar at all to be honest, the only similarity I can see is that they stand on two legs.
Oh and Dragons and Dinosaurs are not similar, no way they are both very different.

Shadow Caster

Plasma Executive
I will say that a Pokemon that deserves the Dragon typing is Lapras. It's been dwelling in the NU tier, and part of that is its terrible typing for having defensive stats. It resembles a Plesiosaur, has a wide movepool, and can learn Dragon Pulse, as well as Dragon Dance and Outrage.

Flame Mistress

I think it would be interesting to see Gyarados gain Dragon-Type, and Milotic gain Fairy-Type, since they always seemed like counterparts to me - they both evolve from weak/ugly Pokémon to become strong/beautiful respectively, are both Water-Types, too. I mean, it would mean that Milotic would become super-effective over Gyarados, but I still think it would be fitting.