• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon that should have the Dragon type added to them in X&Y

Missingno.Fan

I don't think that any of them should become Dragon type. If they were supposed to be Dragon type, they would of been made that way.

Gampi

ガンピ
I'm guessing any type changes that aren't Fairy retcons are just going to be Mega Evolutions, as someone who posted before me said: If they were supposed to be Dragon type, they would of been made that way.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
With Gen 6's X&Y games having the new Fairy type added which is super effective against Dragon type, I think it is finally time for some of the following Pokemon to have the Dragon type added to them.

Some of these Pokemon would have been too powerful if they had the Dragon type added to them from the off, but I think the game has progressed far enough now especially with the new Fairy typing that this will no longer be so much of a problem.

#7 Steelix ;208;

Not all Dragons have to have wings! Many wingless Dragons are prominent in different cultures (China a good example) and such mythical beings have variants such as Wyrm Dragons, which are wingless land Dragons and these are what Steelix is based on. Overall, Steelix resembling a Wyrm so much would make it a pretty cool Dragon type in my eyes, not forgetting the fact that Steelix can learn Dragonbreath at level 33.

#6 Tyranitar ;248;

This gargantuan creature is an awesome Pokemon. Take one look at this and many would be screaming 'Dragon, Dragon!'. It resembles somewhat of a Dragon especially in it's destructive nature. If this Pokemon was a Dragon type initially I don't think many would question it just like Haxorus. It can also learn Dragon Dance.

#5 Yanmega ;469;

Yanmega, a giant Dragonfly, resembles a Dragon greatly. A Bug/Dragon type would be really cool and a great addition to the game. If Flygon is an undisputed Dragon then I don't see why Yanmega isn't one. It's so Dragon like, and the Bug type would reach a whole new level.

#4 Milotic ;350;

Based off a serpentine a common Dragon variant, wingless and elegant; Milotic could have been a cool addition to the Dragon type. While not necessarily being ferocious in nature, it is powerful like a Dragon and it's physiology resembles one greatly.

#3 Aerodactyl ;142;

I often wonder why this wasn't added as a Dragon. Dragons are thought to have originated in cultures from the findings of Dinosaur bones, these reptilian creatures arose from past fossil findings resembling what people used to think who these bones belonged to, Dragons; therefore giving Aerodactyl a perfect reason to be a Dragon type. Aerodactyl, based on Pterodactyl, looks more like a Dragon-like cousin to the Pterodactyl than it actually does look like a Pterodactyl. Aerodactyl can learn Dragon moves and even breathe fire since it can learn Flamethrower. The prehistoric Pokemon is very much a liking itself to common characteristics associated with Dragons. In all, Aerodactyl looks like your stereotypical Dragon (The tipped tail tops it off!) backed up by it being able to breathe fire and learn Dragon moves, this Pokemon really should have Dragon type added to it next Gen.

#2 Charizard ;006;

Call me what you like and I don't mean to start up this old debate again but come on. Charizard is a Dragon. I don't have to explain why. The only reason why it wasn't originally given the Dragon typing, I believe, is that they didn't want to make one starter seemingly so much better than the other three. The typing may have been a bit overpowered in Gen 1 also given Dragon's resistance to Water. But after 6 generations these problems no longer exert themselves as much, so Gamefreak, bite the bullet and make Charizard a dual Fire/Dragon type. Even Lance the Dragon Master uses him!

#1 Gyrados ;130;

I guess you saw this one coming. In Gen 1 and maybe 2 I perfectly understand why they didn't go through with making Gyrados a Dragon type as it would have been insanely powerful since Dragon resists Electric and Grass and the only Dragon move in Gen 1 being Dragon Rage which only ever did 40HP damage everytime used. Thus, giving Gyrados ONE weakness, Ice. Given the amount of times Gyrados is encountered in the game and how many opportunities you have of catching one, Gyrados having this typing would make the game too hard or easy respectively which would frustrate people.

CHINESE mythology states that when a CARP reaches the top of the stream, it becomes a DRAGON. Yes, Gyrados is based off a Chinese Dragon in case you didn't notice. This sea serpent is of course a Dragon and deserves the typing for it's physiology and mythology behind it.

With the addition of the Fairy type, powerful Ice Pokemon and attacks and new Dragon moves being super effective on a Water/Dragon type, Gyrados really would be not so overpowered. Not to mention it could finally rid itself of that awful typing of Water/Flying which is utterly pointless since Gyrados can't even learn Fly. All it does is make it 4x weak to Electric!

Gyrados can learn Dragon moves and is used by Lance the Dragon master and is the perfect Sea Serpent Dragon. I don't think twice about including it in my Dragon teams.

Gyrados tops my list and is the one I'm most hopeful of having a type revamp.

First off we have a place to talk about X and Y secondly you're asking Game Freak to change a Pokémon type even though they have been establish that they aren't a Dragon type thus making it too late to change their typing.

Ampharos disagrees.

Mega Ampharos is mega evolution and isn't permanent, it doesn't count as Ampharos is still an electric type Pokémon.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Last edited:

mudkip master

Surf's up Mudkip
I agree only for Milotic, I don't really think a precedent should be set for complete type changes. It would get rather annoying if we had to relearn large sections of Pokemon typing.

Ska Draco

Noob/kid topic. Gamefreak doesn't care what you think dragons are/should be. And I'd wager no one else does either. But I'll be polite and say wishful thinking. I guess. Maybe.

You can kindly hop off this post if you're not into it and take you're unwanted opinions elsewhere. And I'd wager people do seeing as I have replies agreeing with some of my choices. See how you've added nothing to this post? Must be a common thing.

Ska Draco

First off we have a place to talk about X and Y secondly you're asking Game Freak to change a Pokémon type even though they have been establish that they aren't a Dragon type thus making it too late to change their typing.

I came on here to talk about Pokemon in GENERAL so don't tell me where to go when I'm in the right place. Also, don't be so touchy about that either, it's a very sad thing to get irritated about.

Oh, on the X and Y discussion you can't start new threads, another reason why I'm in the right place.

intoadaze

I Am The Master
Some of my fave from Gen 1 - Charizard & Gyarados

Ivoright

I am back! Probably.
Some of my fave from Gen 1 - Charizard & Gyarados

Really, that's been done to death already.
Look at the other posts in this thread- Many of them mention those.

Charizard is just a winged salamander- It may be dragon-based, but it's not a true dragon.

Gyrados is a bit more difficult to explain. It has something to do with its mythological origins.

Last edited:

xYachu

Spicy Tuna!
Pikachu! No just joking xD (Maybe not?)

Well I suppose aerodactyl, seriously I thought that thing was a dragon type at first.

Seadra, since it was pre evo of kingdra I always thought that it was also dragon, but apparently it wasn't e.e"

Maybe also huntail,.. That dude can also pass as a dragon type in my opinion.

Also Rampardos reminded my of a dinosaur -> Dragon type .w.

Scolepide also seems dragon to me with these fierce eyes :3. A poison/dragon type sure sounds kewl though.

And that was about it .w. I think ~

intoadaze

I Am The Master
Oh I know they've been mentioned, I just thought I based my opinion :p lol

Spawty

Claimed Golduck!
I'll agree for Yanmega, but for the others listed.... meh.

Like xYachu, I've always thought of Seadra as a dragon type, but I guess it isn't :(

Personally, I don't think there should be any other pokemon changing types to Dragon other than Yanmega, but if we're including Mega-evolutions, I've got a pretty good candidate for this.
Mega Sceptile should be given a Dragon secondary type as his mega evolution, just like how Ampharos did. The treecko line is also in the Dragon egg group too :)

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
Tyrannosaurus?

Or it could be tyrant?

Tyrannosaurus?

saurus is greek for lizard and doesn't necessarily mean it's a dinosaurs.

You can kindly hop off this post if you're not into it and take you're unwanted opinions elsewhere. And I'd wager people do seeing as I have replies agreeing with some of my choices. See how you've added nothing to this post? Must be a common thing.

Belittling a person just because you don't agree with someone opinion isn't going to help your argument.

I came on here to talk about Pokemon in GENERAL so don't tell me where to go when I'm in the right place. Also, don't be so touchy about that either, it's a very sad thing to get irritated about.

Oh, on the X and Y discussion you can't start new threads, another reason why I'm in the right place.

Not really since the topic could have easily fitted in the Mega Evolution Speculation/Discussion Thread as Pokémon who mega evolute can change typing which is kinda what you are asking.

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
Charizard is just a winged salamander- It may be dragon-based, but it's not a true dragon.

Salamence says hello.

Charizard looks as much like a dragon as any of the other dragons we have in the game, and although I don't believe it should be retyped to dragon I do see how it can still be perceived as a dragon creature. And frankly, it looks more like a dragon than some other dragon-types we have, such as Kingdra and Dratini. Plus, if Charizard isn't a dragon then I can't begin to imagine what Dragonite is supposed to be, being that Dragonite is a bulkier and less flight-capable dragon creature than Charizard.

Anyway, I like a lot of the mentions on this list. I personally wouldn't want most of them retyped, as I'm fond of their current typings, but for the sake of musing these are not bad selections~

Enjolras

Master of the House
I would like to establish that Dinosaurs and Dragons are not the same thing, or close.

Retro-Chaos X

Psychic Aficionado
Charizard, Feraligatr, Serperior, and all the fossils since they're all based on dinosaurs.

This topic isn't about Dinosaurs, it's about the possibility of pokemon already made gaining Dragon-type (a concept I highly disagree with).
Also, non of the pokemon you listed are are Dragon-like at all (except Charizard) and non of them are Dinosaur like except Aerodactyl either, not that it should matter since this topic isn't about Dinosaurs -_-

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Or it could be tyrant?

Which is also where it comes from in "tyrannosaurus."

At any rate, Tyranitar is a large, ferocious reptile with stubby arms and a long tail. Hm. I wonder if there was a very iconic kind of large, ferocious reptile with stubby arms and a long tail in our world that could have been used as a basis...

saurus is greek for lizard and doesn't necessarily mean it's a dinosaurs.

Maybe not necessarily, but what's more likely? (Especially since it is very, very obviously a dinosaur.)

Mr. L 500

YOOM-TAH!
I think that Charizard would fit as a Dragon type, but I doubt they'd ever change his typing.