• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon - The Orange League (02)

NPT

Just a member
I liked this saga. Brock was replaced by Tracey, but he was not bad. The gym leaders were different and each gym had new challeges( double battle, ice cart race ). Episodes like 'Pikachu re-volts' and 'Charizard Chills' were great. Ash actually accompolished a league victory this time.

Last edited:
Great season overall, good gym battles and fillers and a good ending match along with the movie that has always been my favorite.

My favorite intro just got you hyped
Tracey overall wasn't anything special or overdone but i found him good in the role to fit in the 3rd sort of spot letting ash and misty seemingly take more of the spotlight. along with all the extra hints that gave some extra entertainment.

Sprinter1988

I loved the Orange Islands series. Admittedly, I was like WTF? when it began (even though at the time I did not know that abbreviation or what it stood for) but it was still highly enjoyable.
The best bits:
> Lapras was awesome! When travelling around tropical islands, most people elect to go by cruise ship. Ash Ketchum decides to use something much cheaper and yet far cooler! At least for these islands, anyway...
> Brock gets lucky! Ok, so they may not have gotten that far, but Brock was finally successful in love... for a couple of months at least...
> Great Gym Battes. I didn't go much on Danny's Gym, but Ash competing against Cissy, Rudy and Luana were great fun to watch. Different to what we were used to, but fun.
> Charizard starts to listen! Way overdue imo, but made for an enjoyable and highly memorably episode when it finally happened!
> Misty finally catches a Poliwag. Despite Misty having never shown any particular desire to catch one prior to her actually doing so, I had always wanted Misty to get a Poliwag, and she finally did!
> As a pokeshipper, most of this series was just fun to watch!
> Ash and Gary finally have a battle at the end of it. Ok, it was only 1 on 1 and Ash loses, but it was still cool!
> Ash gets a nice shiny trophy. The battle against Drak was nicely handled, with great performances from everyone, including the revelation of just how powerful the never-before-used Tauros actually is, throwing Venusaur and Dragonite into the air as if they weighed nothing!

The bad bits:
> I never knew what to make of Tracey. He was okay, but only as a supporting character. His pokemon were pretty insignificant, except maybe Scyther, and he was pretty much just there so they kept up the "group of three" dynamic.
> Squirtle didn't evolve. Not a big deal, but for a split second I was so sure that that was what we were going to see, but instead we got Hydro Pump. That was cool enough in and of itself, but an evolution would have made it all the sweeter.
> Lapras got released. I feel that we did not see enough of this pokemon in battle (I for one would have loved to have seen it drown an opponent with surf!) and it was a shame that Lapras was dropped the moment their island-hopping adventures were over.
> Not enough Snorlax. I loved that Ash caught Snorlax and think that it is one of his best pokemon, but in this series it was rarely seen was ended up just being a re-occuring fat joke.
> Ash didn't go back for Pidgeot when his Island hopping was done. The Lying Twerp!

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
This was an average series to me. Didn't like the Orange gyms at all tbh, but I liked the Orange league battle. It was also great to see some awesome moments with the Kanto trio starters here. I'd rate this at 7/10

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
This was the last good season of the OS overall. I really liked this season, Tracey was a bit bland at times but I enjoy him after being stuck with Brock for the next 10 years after, lol.

Sadly I don't know what happened to the writing after this arc ended. I was pretty excited to see Brock come back in Orange's finale thinking Johto would be a return to Kanto-style writing, but too bad that wasn't the case. In a way I see the Orange Islands as the true ending to the original series even if Brock was absent. This is also the last season where the cast keep their Kanto personalities before everyone gets stagnant in the next arc.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I sometimes wonder about this season's popularity. Pokémon as a whole was still very popular when the Orange Islands aired: the network had still adored it, Pokémon 2000 still did well in theaters... one can say the popularity's peak was during this season. So arguably, this would be the most popular season, right? But there are accounts of fans who were turned off by where the show was going. One of the biggest complaints about it was Brock's departure—well, “replacement”. Another complaint dealt with Team Rocket's change of direction, and there had to have been a few who thought the idea of Ash traveling around an archipelago was boring, and didn't want to see him out at sea every episode.

My guess is this polarizing opinion came to be because of the Internet, and with it the rise of fan sites, fan art, and fan fiction. I'm sure they've been around since the beginning of the Pokémon fandom, but if you ask me, most of this came from the older fans. Kids I don't think at the time particularly cared too much for what was going on outside of Brock's temporary departure, but the reception of the Johto and Hoenn sagas would be a different ballgame.

I will try not to repeat the good and bad aspects from the Indigo League season as there are notable differences. Thus with exception of the gyms (due to how different it is here), I'm not going to go into depth about certain things like the Jigglypuff gag if only because it was actually so spread out across the season compared to the last that she hardly made an appearance. I'd like to bring up Professor Ivy as she's probably one of the most well-known, one-scene wonder characters from the Orange Islands, but considering she only showed up for one episode and was in Pokémon 2000, yet is constantly brought up from time to time, I don't really feel I should bring her up. She's not a bad character, but I do sometimes wish she was involved more, and should've been.

An honorable mention I would like to bring up is Team Rocket. People will say Team Rocket was their strongest in Kanto, or were starting to become what they were meant to be in Best Wishes. But I personally do like them here in the Orange Islands because of all the lampshading—though I don't know if this was all because of the dub, or if the original did this, too. Ash and Misty had been stalked accosted by Team Rocket pretty much throughout their journey in Kanto that they are used to them here. They can't pick them out in a disguise to save their lives (or can they?), but they are tired of them and know they're losers to the point they have made side comments during recitals of the motto. And as for the motto, even Team Rocket took a jab or two at their motto as well, once questioning if reciting it really makes things better or worse for them.

In the meantime, like in the previous season, we do get moments where it's just the three of them being themselves, and they're some of my favorite moments of the season. They haven't really changed as characters, but you can tell their relationship is growing. “Meowth Rules” is one of the best examples of this, I feel, as it's similar to “Go West, Young Meowth” in how it gives Team Rocket the limelight, specifically Meowth. We learn more about these characters when they have an episode of their own, and it really gives him a human side we don't typically see otherwise. We know they're losers, they know they're losers, and are always going to be losers. But that's why we love them because we know there's more to them than that, they just don't make the right decisions to live up to their true potential. When it comes to each other, however, you can see that spark, and you can't help but sympathize with them and wish them the best. It's just a shame they would fall hard to the formula and become shells of their former selves.

Well, now that's out of the way, my five favorite aspects of the Orange Islands that I can bother to put into words:

- The episodes are memorable. Probably helps that the season is short (only 36 episodes), but the episodes are hard to forget. This was one of the big things for me, as I had remembered at least half of them prior to starting it on my recent rewatch. Maybe not verbatim or had a scene-by-scene replay, but I could remember the plot of that particular episode. Some, though, I was a bit taken aback by how much I didn't remember, usually in the beginning. Which is odd, you would think the beginning would be the attention grabber. So I have to wonder how much I really paid attention to these episodes when they first aired. But when compared to the previous season, I remembered more of the Orange Islands than the Indigo League. Pretty good, since I don't that that great of a memory.

- The gyms. I liked the Kanto gym battles, and those battles are honestly more entertaining, but the Orange Island gym matches were rather creative—kind of. I found Navel Island's gym challenge... odd, and a bit dull. There's probably someone out there who really likes bobsled races, I personally didn't really enjoy it. Two of the gyms involved an actual gym battle, though with Rudy's gym, the challenger had to pass a test first before the match. But for the most part, the gym battles were more like tests to see how well the bond between trainer and Pokémon are, which was confirmed when Ash reached the League. Who's to say if Ash had caught on then, but he must have in order to have made it that far and even win.

Also, the gym battles actually lasted all the way through, something I can't really vouch for much with Kanto's gym matches. There were no interruptions of any sort, no need for Ash to get all heroic, they battled all the way through. So there were no pity badges here, Ash won fair and square (albeit with a bit of dumb luck). This leads to...

- The Orange Islands League. Though it's kind of weird to call it a league, yet have the champion be a gym leader. The way they had set it all up from the gym leaders to Drake was rather interesting, and I wish we had more of that. While the other Leagues are more realistic in that there are multiple challengers, so multiple battles occur, at least this guaranteed the League was going to be short and sweet, like the season.

It's a bit amazing just how prepared the League was for Ash. Probably because this is a smaller League they have challenges all year, and it was just the one guy, yet it still felt a bit empty that it was just Ash and Drake. It's possible that not too many people compete for the League, and I find that a little disappointing, and maybe a little sad. Apparently Ash was the first for that season, and who knows how far along in the season they are, or even how long a season is according to them. They apparently don't make money off of it, though (except possibly from tourists), but it still seems to be a momentous occasion when the champion does get a challenger.

- Tracey Sketchit. I have to apologize to him. I know a lot of people still don't like him, mainly because he “replaced” Brock in the season, even though there was a reason for it. But you know what, he's not a bad guy. I actually do enjoy him, as he was a breath of fresh air. Considering that a few seasons later it would be Misty who would be “replaced”, and people have still been nagging about it, Tracey has been left alone since he stayed with Oak.

I had been led to not like him over the years because of the Tracey hate in some of the fan fiction I had read. There's a chance some of this hate can be stemmed to Cori Falls' influence in the Pokémon fan fiction community, as she was the one who portrayed Tracey as a fat, perverted slob and a low IQ (not as low as Ash's in those stories, though). That poison seeped through, and so this influence lingered for years. I honestly couldn't see Tracey as anything but a character who needed to be hated on and laughed at. As I got older, it flushed out of my mind, and I came to regret hating him. Is he a favorite? No, but I don't see him as a plague these days like I did back then.

Despite being an obvious replacement for Brock, he pretty much was Brock if he was more subtle and just sketched out his women. It didn't happen much, but he had shades of it for sure. Still, I do believe more could've been done to his character, and in some aspects there were, like when he caught Scyther about halfway into the season. But I think the fact that we didn't get to be with him for as long as we did with Brock hurt his character just a bit, because character development did slow down. Though I sometimes think 4KIDS or at least someone from 4KIDS didn't like Tracey that much. He wasn't made into an idiot, nor was he bland, but he just came off as an okay guy at best, and that's a bit sad. I have a personal theory maybe Ted Lewis was given the part because he's not one of 4KIDS' best (at the time), though I'll admit it's a bit unfair for me to think that way just because Ted Lewis was in bad dubs (and wasn't that great of a voice actor in those dubs) prior to being hired to be in Pokémon. If I could make comparisons between the character as Tracey Sketchit and as Kenji, then I would, but I don't have that ability due to how much digging I will have to make to find English subs of the Orange Islands. So for the time being, I'll take what I can get.

Again, I'm sorry for everything, Tracey.

- “Bound for Trouble”. Yes, there's a couple of problems in the episode such as the fact there should've been a bit more focus on Meowth and Pikachu. However, what I like the best about this is that the relationship between Pikachu and Meowth is explored, if only for a bit. It brings up the question of “Would I really be cooperative with or grow to like this character with whom I am constantly fighting with?” Does the answer deliver? Somewhat. So they're stuck together for a day, but what if they were stuck together for a few more days, or even a week? The battle against Rhydon, as short as it was, was made possible because of cooperation, even if Pikachu had to force Meowth to do it. But as much as they do yell at each other and want to do things their way, when they do get that moment of rest, they let their guards down.

It's really unknown if Pikachu really was coming to grow fond of Meowth, but as much as they continue to fight each other, there's hints that they're more like “frenemies” than it was before. Meowth more-or-less expresses this the most towards Pikachu if only because he can express his thoughts more often, and deep down, he's really not a bad Pokémon. Is it possible that had circumstances been different, they could have been good friends? Sure, I can see that being a possibility. Considering that Team Rocket and Ash have teamed up on occasion, and continued to do so in the future, the foundation is already set. They would do this plot again later (even though I remember this the most), which tells me that they can get along, but unfortunately, their lives are too different. On some days, they can be good friends, they will just have to go back the status quo the rest of the time. And it's pretty sad that their worlds prevent them from being a compatible team, which is why I wish they would've done more episodes like this. Not necessarily with just Meowth and Pikachu, but they could've mixed it up with the cast. In a way, they kind of do this, but not to the extent that “Bound for Trouble” did.

And now for the problems...

Actually, before I list what I didn't like about the Orange Islands, I might as well throw this out here while I'm thinking about it. This is more of a personal nitpick than anything else (thus why it's not being listed), and it doesn't take away from her as a character, but Misty got hit on in this season. Even though I'm a PokéShipper, PokéShipping has little if anything to do with this reason. I just found it really, really odd that Misty got hit on/had a crush on two gym leaders and I think a couple of other CotDs. It was established in the first season she's a bit of a romantic—not a lot, but she has her tendencies. As far as I can remember, I think she only developed a small crush on someone once. And I think only the doctor from the first season hit on her. “Misty Meets her Match” is the big one that's remembered more, especially amongst PokéShippers.

So was there any reason why Misty developed some crushes in this season? I don't know, but I don't feel it was necessary. Danny I thought was a boring, generic nice guy with the most boring gym battle in the series. Rudy is a better character, especially since his liking Misty was rather justified since she rescued his sister. Of course, he like a more suave Gary, if you ask me, and I actually do like him. But even so, I find these things so odd, almost out-of-place in Pokémon.

Anyway, enough of that. What bothered me the most about the Orange Islands?

- It's a filler arc. This is probably one of the more canon of fillers, but the fact that it was a filler is probably why not too many people count this as a victory for Ash Ketchum. And that is unfair to discredit him his victory.

And then of course, the filler arc had fillers, though I suppose this just couldn't be helped since there are only half the number of gyms this time around, and I suppose they had to fulfill a quota. Much like with Indigo League's fillers, there were good episodes, and there were bad episodes. They're still memorable, but they were either enjoyable or not. “Shell Shocked” I felt was one of the bad episodes because the whole thing felt pointless and a bit contrived (the prophecy was a load of bull if no one had heard of it prior to the old guy), complete with a news reporter character who wouldn't shut up. Though admittedly, that was one of the episodes I remembered the most for... some reason. “A Way Off Day Off” is a filler episode I didn't remember, but it's still more of a boring episode than as bad as “Shell Shocked”, if almost just as pointless.

- Charizard. Don't get me wrong, Charizard is great, and this has both some positive and negative aspects. The build of up his disobedience would come to a head in this season to the point Ash gets criticized for it. This is a good thing because Ash has a problem of getting a big head—it's not constant, but it happens. Just because he has a winning streak doesn't automatically mean he's a good trainer, and Charizard is proof of this. Yes, Ash does have the qualities of being a good trainer, but he's not there yet. Charizard in his own right is a good character, and is one of the more popular characters in the series for good reason. So every time Ash gets his butt handed to him by his own Pokémon, it's a way to remind him and the audience that the respect is non-existent between the two—which, when one recalls the events leading up to it in the first season, is justified.

What got him on this particular list, unfortunately, is he didn't get much screen time in this season to lead up to his eventual respect (though he continued to have issues). After “Pallet Party Panic”, he shows up next in “Navel Maneuvers”—that's a 12-episode margin. Then there's “A Way Off Day Off”, “The Mandarin Island Miss Match”, and “Misty Meets Her Match” before the character development episode, “Charizard Chills”. As a whole from the start, it takes six out of 25 episodes to get to this point. There are 36 episodes in the Orange Islands, and Charizard showed up for a total of nine episodes—a fourth of the season. This is a shame, especially since they don't typically make the use of his disobedience in every episode he shows up. Yes, it's established Ash hesitates over it because of how wild he is, but that doesn't mean there should've been a huge gap between appearances. Then after he comes to respect Ash, Charizard still doesn't get the screen time he deserves.

If you were to ask me, I prefer Snorlax, however, Snorlax doesn't get the character development Charizard gets. A missed opportunity, if you ask me.

- Lapras. Honestly, the only thing I can think of that Lapras did well outside of transporting Ash and friends from island to island is helping Ash win his first badge, and I suppose it helped with making the bobsled. It would fight in the League, but it lost its round—as to be expected, it never fought before. But you know its bad when Tauros, the Pokémon Ash never used before, wins a round. So it otherwise didn't do anything, and thus there was some lost potential in showing off what a Lapras can do. Yes, this Lapras was separated from its family, but it was still Ash's Pokémon. He should've done more with it, especially in training it to be a stronger Pokémon. How great would it had been had Ash trained a baby Lapras to be strong and possibly even independent?

- Togepi. It was set up during the season that Togepi was going to play a part in some way or another. It learning Metronome more often than not resulted in contrived plot-points than anything, almost like a deus ex machina. Yes, the attack Metronome is random, but it shouldn't be that lucky/coincidental, and unfortunately the anime can't handle Metronome well like the games can. Then there's Misty apparently noticing Togepi was doing something, but she was always waved off with an “It's just your imagination” schtick, so she doesn't look into it further like she should've. This apparently gets worse in Johto, but I can't confirm it at this time. Togepi is a good example of a wasted Pokémon, and whatever role was planned for it was dropped. Just like...

- The GS Ball. Well, that was one way to get Ash to go on another journey, and it'll play another “part” in the next season. So it had some significance in the season, okay. But it's not brought up often, Professor Ivy doesn't check in to see how they're taking care of it (not even Professor Oak brings it up, if at all), it's more-or-less eased into the background before being forgotten about for a while. Even though we do have the answer now, at the time, it had been a huge mystery as to what it was, and we were eager to learn more about it—when we remembered it.

Also, if something has some kind of plot importance, shouldn't there be foreshadowing involved? I get that Pokémon is not the best show in the world for this kind of literary device, but if the Indigo League season could have some build up, then why can't a filler arc? And have it be a build up that wasn't disappointing?

For being a follow-up from the first season (and being the start of an obvious cash-in for years to come), the Orange Islands is just like its predecessor in carrying the Pokémon spirit despite being short and having a new cast member. Ash could have “started over”, Pikachu could have “reset”, Team Rocket could have gotten “sillier”, but they've only grown as characters—albeit depending on the episode—something that appears to be lost in future seasons (as gathered from viewers). Yet, despite how much it was a part of my childhood, and it was great to watch again, I am having a hard time putting thoughts together on this season. It's not a bad season, far from it, but I don't cherish it as much as I do Indigo League, or even the Johto saga. The season pretty much quietly came and went, and though it was never forgotten, it's not as widely talked about.

Why is that? It still left a good impact, but what was in it for everyone in the long run? The Orange Islands is not based off anything in the games (though the Sevii Islands may be the closest to it) so it had to rely on originality, which isn't something that happens these days. We got to spend some time with a new character, even though unfortunately he didn't get as much character development as the others, and he's the only cast member who stayed with the main cast the shortest. Ash was able to make it into the Hall of Fame of a League that is official to that archipelago, and according to Pokémon 2000 he was the chosen one who would save the world from impending doom, and he didn't forget. What, was it because the movie wasn't built up like the last one? I doubt that's any of the reasons. And yes, the theme song is not as popular as the first season's (must have been all that rocking out), but it's still catchy.

If I could say why, then I could, if only on a personal note. But for whatever reason, I don't have any good reason for why I, personally, don't talk about this season much. I don't hate it, I actually like it, but... what can I say? It's just a season that quietly stands in the background doing its own thing, occasionally waving when acknowledged. Maybe it would like to be with the other popular seasons, it's just too quiet and/or reserved to want to stand out. It's a 36-episode season caught in between an 82-episode season and a 158-episode saga made of three seasons (that the U.S. Split up, anyway). It's really not that hard to overlook, and I don't blame anyone who does.

I suppose it's for the best there wasn't a lot wrong with the season. The writing still has problems like the Indigo League, yet like before, I don't mind it. So what if it's not perfect, it's still enjoyable, it's still a part of the Pokémon continuity. I don't want to pretend it's a special little snowflake that needs special attention even though it's its own flavor, but I don't want to ignore it, either. I'll just have to unfortunately leave that little resort to get with the big guys with more meat on their bones, if you know what I mean.

Thanks again for reading this. Wish me luck with Johto, I apparently need it.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
This was the last good season of the OS overall. I really liked this season, Tracey was a bit bland at times but I enjoy him after being stuck with Brock for the next 10 years after, lol.

Sadly I don't know what happened to the writing after this arc ended. I was pretty excited to see Brock come back in Orange's finale thinking Johto would be a return to Kanto-style writing, but too bad that wasn't the case. In a way I see the Orange Islands as the true ending to the original series even if Brock was absent. This is also the last season where the cast keep their Kanto personalities before everyone gets stagnant in the next arc.

Are you serious? The only reason why I believed Johto was worse than this was because of all the extra fillers they had. But as far as everything else, if they would have just replaced Brock in Johto with Tracey, it would have been better in my eyes. Misty didn't do much in either saga so it wouldn't have mattered if she stayed or not.

As far as the Orange islands, the area was boring. Riding around on water and going from island to island was not fun. Tracey's goal served nothing for the show, Misty barely did anything especially since this was a water arc, and Ash was cocky a lot for whatever reason.

pokemon fan 132

Are you serious? The only reason why I believed Johto was worse than this was because of all the extra fillers they had. But as far as everything else, if they would have just replaced Brock in Johto with Tracey, it would have been better in my eyes. Misty didn't do much in either saga so it wouldn't have mattered if she stayed or not.

As far as the Orange islands, the area was boring. Riding around on water and going from island to island was not fun. Tracey's goal served nothing for the show, Misty barely did anything especially since this was a water arc, and Ash was cocky a lot for whatever reason.

Depends for who. I actually liked innovative take on pokemon series writers pushed through Orange Islands. They didnt hesitate in unleashing their own original ideas and creativity in this arc being free of burden they usually have when covering game based regions. Which in advance has preconstructed route, direction and plots they need to follow limiting on their imagination and artistic liberty.

And this really payed of during Orange Island archipelago giving us different insight in culture and how pokemon and humans co-exist in tropic, abundant with islands region.

In many ways Orange islands felt like adventure veiled with mystery containing attacks from pirates terrorizing sea and pokemon(like Lapras), containing lot of hidden bays, native tribes, unique pokemon, completely different format of gyms and league. Where instead of usual battling for badge trainer needed to prove imself in various disciplines such as racing, making objects from ice, shooting practice and introduced for very first time concept of double battling when Ash faced Luana.

Covering themes of spooky places and haunted ships telling story of deceased captain who ruled this archipelago centuries ago.

Being if anything very fresh and interesting to see Ash and friends using pokemon as transportation from one to another place.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In regards to Misty i cannot even take your statement seriously. Orange covered Misty character realy well not omitting her from any important event remaining consistently active. She played important subplot in Ash fight against two gym leaders(Danny and Rudy), received vital role in saving Ash life in second movie and contributing in delivering orbs to Lugia temple,.

Received several episodes dedicated to her water pokemon master career, her ambitions, fears and struggles she contained as character. Battling trainers like Marina, meeting her idol ever since she was smal child E4 Loreleri learning how she wants to become prestiguous and honored water expert one day herself.

Helped enamored people get together like Nidoran kids demonstrating her witty and creative side. Saved Ash and Tracey like when they got poisoned seeing different, more caring side to her.

Played important role in myriad of episodes such as trying to catch Snorlax, coming up with plan howe to get him of island and preventing to eat all food. Took initiative in dealing with on fire buildings borrowing Tracey pokemon to dose up flames.

Helped escape from island full of Kabuto fossils which stated to sink, her Togepi was meritorious in demolishing TR base in that region etc.

Along weith writers exploring on her romantic feelings for Ash enriching whole season with extra take on diving in human protagonist persopnalities and ermotion bringing more depth to interactions.

So no, i disagree how "Misty barely did anything in Orange Islands". If your going to talk about someone receiving short end of stick in this saga it was Tracey, but definitely not Misty.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Depends for who. I actually liked innovative take on pokemon series writers pushed through Orange Islands. They didnt hesitate in unleashing their own original ideas and creativity in this arc being free of burden they usually have when covering game based regions. Which in advance has preconstructed route, direction and plots they need to follow limiting on their imagination and artistic liberty.

And this really payed of during Orange Island archipelago giving us different insight in culture and how pokemon and humans co-exist in tropic, abundant with islands region.

In many ways Orange islands felt like adventure veiled with mystery containing attacks from pirates terrorizing sea and pokemon(like Lapras), containing lot of hidden bays, native tribes, unique pokemon, completely different format of gyms and league. Where instead of usual battling for badge trainer needed to prove imself in various disciplines such as racing, making objects from ice, shooting practice and introduced for very first time concept of double battling when Ash faced Luana.

Covering themes of spooky places and haunted ships telling story of deceased captain who ruled this archipelago centuries ago.

Being if anything very fresh and interesting to see Ash and friends using pokemon as transportation from one to another place.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In regards to Misty i cannot even take your statement seriously. Orange covered Misty character realy well not omitting her from any important event remaining consistently active. She played important subplot in Ash fight against two gym leaders(Danny and Rudy), received vital role in saving Ash life in second movie and contributing in delivering orbs to Lugia temple,.

Received several episodes dedicated to her water pokemon master career, her ambitions, fears and struggles she contained as character. Battling trainers like Marina, meeting her idol ever since she was smal child E4 Loreleri learning how she wants to become prestiguous and honored water expert one day herself.

Helped enamored people get together like Nidoran kids demonstrating her witty and creative side. Saved Ash and Tracey like when they got poisoned seeing different, more caring side to her.

Played important role in myriad of episodes such as trying to catch Snorlax, coming up with plan howe to get him of island and preventing to eat all food. Took initiative in dealing with on fire buildings borrowing Tracey pokemon to dose up flames.

Helped escape from island full of Kabuto fossils which stated to sink, her Togepi was meritorious in demolishing TR base in that region etc.

Along weith writers exploring on her romantic feelings for Ash enriching whole season with extra take on diving in human protagonist persopnalities and ermotion bringing more depth to interactions.

So no, i disagree how "Misty barely did anything in Orange Islands". If your going to talk about someone receiving short end of stick in this saga it was Tracey, but definitely not Misty.

Is all this necessary? I was only trying to point out is that despite people complaining about it, they did make some improvements with a few things later on. Despite the fillers, they did have the characters do more than in IS. All I was saying was that it didn't matter which boy or girl they changed first or not. Since it seemed like a completely new start of a story.

Bananarama

The light is coming
While not as great as the Indigo League, I think that the Orange League episodes are still decent. I like how they made a completely separate, anime-only region, and I'm happy that Ash shows that he can win a league. I really liked the gyms, also.

JudySpell

Banned
The OI arc was decent so I'd give it a 7 out of 10. Some fillers were godly and the Gym matches were mostly good plus the Orange League was intense.

Musashi~

Fiery Destroyer! <3
Some fillers were well done,Team Rocket was funny and the Orange league was good as well. 7/10.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
The Orange Islands saga was really fun to me cuz the gyms were different this time around and we got interesting episodes like the Kabuto one and the Pikachu betrayal one. Seeing Ash defeat Drake and win a trophy was a step forward and I just wish that Tracy had been more active here. ^^;

p96822

Evolve me please
The Orange Island is the worst season of Pokemon I have ever seen. I rather not see this season ever again.

Really I think they should have change the thing with Charizard in Kanto and made Ash face Gary and lose to him

Last edited:

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
The OI Gyms slayed. I liked how it was a match of skill rather than a straight out battle. Ash seemed to develop in his strength as a trainer during this season especially. I mean, he actually won the Orange League.~

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I used to hate how gyms were done here but looking back at it now it is sort of refreshing to see. I didn't really care much for all the Pokeshipping hints the dub showed but I did like to see Misty fairly active here. Tracy should have done more as well.
7/10

ToonsJazzLover

Pros:
+ Gym battles were different and actually better. They had an unique formula and all of them actually had Ash earning them for real.
+ The League. The only time Ash had ever won one.
+ Charizard learning to obey Ash. It developed him a lot better.

Netural:
+/- Tracy. Not as good as Brock, but he was decent.
+/- Misty. She was somewhat a little more likable in some episodes.

Negative:
- Fillers/Characters of the Day are as less memorable compared to Indigo League. Starting with this saga, those type of episodes/characters get a little repetitive as they revolve on the same sort of formula.

My Thoughts: While I won't say there's not as many great episode as Indigo League, there's no episodes I won't consider bad (for my least favorite episode here, it's middle of the road at best), I won't say that I prefer this over IL, but it's still watchable. The fillers episodes do get repetitive after awhile, so I'm not sure if my replay value would be high in this one (unless I watch the more plot driven episodes). Either this, this was a good filler season. The gym battles felt like actual battles and Ash actually won them. Speaking of winning, this is the only time that Ash ever won a league and the episodes with the OI Leagues are some of the best battles I've seen in the show, resulting in calling it as of my favorite episodes in the anime. I don't watch the anime for Ash or his goal, I watch it for the franchise and the titular creatures themselves. His and Misty's characters are slowly getting better as the original series progresses. I really like the episodes where Charizard finally listened to Ash, as I believe it's character development for him. I was okay with Brock being gone for most of the season. Tracy was decent, but his personality could've been better aside from sketching Pokemon. Overall, it's still a good season, but rewatch value is up to me if I want to watch most of the series, which is mainly fillers. They're still decent to watch, but it won't be in my casaul viewing if I ever want to go back to this series again (If I do re-watch the original series, I would just skip the weak episodes and the lesser fillers). 8/10

Best Episodes: Charizard Chills and Enter the Dragonite
Worst Episode:Wherefore Art Thou, Pokémon? (not a fan of this one personally)