• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

POKEMON: The Scales of Astrea (T)

Jabberwocky

May Contain Nuts
Pokemon: The Scales of Astrea

by Jabberwocky

Prologue

“Some say that humans are things of darkness. Others say humans are born of light. I will admit, of course, that there is ample evidence for both of these assertions being true. But at the same time, the existence of that parallel evidence leads credence to my own view: that humanity is defined not by darkness or light in entirety, but by both simultaneously. Within all of us there exists a balance between the two.

“This is true of all things. In society, in nature, in everything beyond. The world hinges on balance between opposing forces. Disruption of that balance either way always comes with disastrous results. In ancient times, our ancestors worshipped the goddess Astrea, who personified balance and justice with her celestial scales. When the Dragon of nature, Pinettle, and the Dragon of progress, Dragiron, began to war, it was Astrea who brought their conflict to an end and struck a balance between them. To maintain this balance, she looked to all the living creatures of the world, both Pokemon and human. Progress was not to overtake nature, and neither too was nature to be protected at the expense of progress.

“Humanity’s role - our role - then, is to do our part to maintain that balance. To maintain the balance within ourselves. And yet, to look around you it would seem that we are failing in this task. Progress and technological development are continuing at an unprecedented rate, while nature is being ravaged and destroyed to make room. To rectify this without disrupting the balance in the other direction is a daunting task indeed, but it is one we must undertake before it is too late and the scales of Astrea spill over into oblivion.

“For this reason, we observe Green Day each year not to place the environment on a pedestal, but to remove industrialization and reckless technological growth from the pedestal on which we have placed it. Its relevance is therefore inarguable, and to reject it is to become an accomplice to the problem.

“I hope you will join me in celebrating the world in which we live and working to restore the balance - to equalize the weights on the scales of Astrea. Thank you.”

Atalanta Villaverde concluded her speech. Her mouth felt dry, and the silence she received from her classmates made her stomach knot nervously. She’d worn a suit and wrangled her golden hair into a neat bun for this presentation, hoping to look professional. Now, though, she just felt absurd.

The growing urge she felt to bolt out of the classroom was cut short by an explosion of applause. Atalanta could only stand in stunned silence as several of her classmates rose for a standing ovation.

“Very well done, Ms. Villaverde,” her teacher said with a warm smile. “I knew I could depend on you to take this assignment seriously.”

Atalanta’s eyes welled up with tears. She’d done well? They’d liked it? She could hardly believe it. Everyone in class seemed to be thundering applause - everyone, that is, except for a lanky tan-skinned boy in the front row, who had his head rested on his hand, staring off into the void with a vacant expression.

“Mr. Huerta!” the teacher barked. The boy blinked and glanced around. “Huh? What?” he stammered.

The teacher rubbed his temples and sighed in frustration. “Bartholomew Huerta. Bart. what am I going to do with you? You’re never paying attention, even when your classmates are presenting the material they’ve worked so hard on. Your grades are consistently passable at best, and you seem content merely to drift through life without working at anything. Have you no aspirations?”

Bart crossed his arms angrily. “Hey, it’s not like that!” he argued. “I do so have aspirations, they just don't involve boring philosophy and all that school stuff!”

“Enlighten us, Mr. Huerte,” the teacher said with a roll of his eyes. “What, exactly, are these ‘aspirations’ you’re so ‘passionate’ about?”

Bart flashed a toothy, cocky grin. “I’m good at battling Pokemon,” he declared confidently. “I’m gonna go all around the Alta region and become the Champion! You ask me, that’s what’s really important in life, going on adventures with Pokemon and being the best you can be!”

He was being so flippant it made Atalanta’s blood boil. She glared and was about to rebuke Bart when the classroom burst into laughter. Bart looked around in confusion. “What’s so funny?” he asked.

“Champion!” one of the students hollered. “You? Yeah, right! A slacker like you is never gonna make anything of himself, let alone Champion!”

Bart looked hurt. “B-but I’m good at battling!” he protested. “I can do it if I try!”

More laughter. Even the teacher was laughing now. Atalanta’s anger towards Bart turned to anger towards everyone else.

“Th-that’s enough!” she suddenly cried. The laughter died immediately, replaced by shameful silence.

“How dare you?” Atalanta said furiously, striding over to Bart’s desk. “What gives you the right to ridicule his dream when you just finished applauding mine? I won’t stand for it! Is wanting adventure and a journey with Pokemon something to laugh at? No! It’s something to be celebrated, just as much as my goals!”

She looked down at Bart, who stared back up with wide eyes. “When you go on your adventure,” she declared, “I’m coming with you. We’ll work toward our goals together, and we won’t let anyone laugh at us ever again. Does that sound good to you?”

Bart nodded dumbly.

Atalanta glowered at the others. “Let’s see you laugh at that.”

No one spoke up.

Six years later

To Marcus Allen, the smell of newsprint was nothing short of heavenly. He had been reading the newspaper since he was first able to read, and he had long ago learned about how very sublime the crisp sound of the first turn of the page was.

Marcus sat down in his comfiest chair and raised his coffee - black and bitter, just the way he liked it - to his lips as he prepared for his morning ritual.

thhrwk

Music to Marcus' ears.

"Let's see what's going on today," he chirped. Sports first, like always. Lead story today: a newcomer sweeping the competition at the Pokemon League and claiming the title of Champion. Some nobody from Venture City named Bart. Barely 20 years old.

Marcus harrumphed. "Kids," he lamented. "Trainers are getting younger all the time. What is this world coming to?"

A footnote to the article mentioned something about the new Champion getting engaged to someone or other after the match - but that sort of celebrity gossip was about as much Marcus' metier as a bowl of turnips.

Thusly, he ignored it.

24 years later

Nicolasa Huerta’s eyes fluttered open.

She yawned and stretched as she slowly awoke. Her mind booted up with a mental shudder.

Her wiry black hair was a mess. Again. She really needed to stop showering right before going to bed. On the dark skin of her hand was a patch of green - she’d forgotten to take out her gum before sleeping. Again. At least it hadn’t gotten in her hair this time. Last time she’d had to shave her head, and her locks were only just returning to an acceptable length.

Her eyes wandered to the calendar on the wall. This month the image was a Litleo playing in a field of flowers. She found today’s date, the fifteenth of the month.

The fifteenth.

The

Fif

Teenth

The thought clicked in her mind, and her eyes shot all the way open as she jolted completely awake.

“Today’s the day!” she shouted excitedly. “Today’s the day!”

She sprung out of bed and rummaged through her drawers for the perfect outfit - black jeans and a green T-shirt, just like her dad had worn when he started out on his journey, and just like her mom had worn to watch the battle that had made her dad Champion. It was a lucky outfit, obviously, and as she put it on she could feel that luck coursing through her.

Today was the day Nicolasa got her first Pokemon and began her journey. Today was the day the rest of her life began.

“Nico?” her mother called from downstairs. “Are you ready for the day?”

“Yep yep yep!” Nico shouted back eagerly. “Be down in just a second!” She grabbed a hairbrush off of her dresser and hurriedly scraped it across her hair as she bolted out of her room and down the stairs.

Nico couldn’t stop grinning.

Today was the day. And her life would never be the same.

………………………………………..

Welcome to the Alta Region! A new land of adventure, excitement, and fun! On your adventure here you will meet new Pokemon, new friends, and new enemies! We hope you’ll stick around for further installments of “The Scales of Astrea,” and continue to follow the journey of Nicolasa Huerta, as well as her friend Darwin Tapia, not to mention a host of others we’ve yet to meet!

“The Scales of Astrea” is a journey fic, and I intend to write it as if it were a novelization of a main series Pokemon game merged with elements of other Pokemon media, such as the anime and manga! I hope you will enjoy it, and I look forward to seeing what you all think!

This story was originally posted on Bulbagarden. I will be including worldbuilding information, including information about my original Pokemon, with my chapters, to keep things interesting and engaging! Stay tuned!

Jabberwocky

May Contain Nuts
Chapter One: The Adventure Begins!

Nico bounded down the stairs, her freshly-brushed hair bouncing and regressing further into messiness with every step. Nico didn’t care much about how her hair looked at the best of times, and on a day like this her concern for appearances was effectively zero.

She rounded the banister and leapt into the kitchen, where a pair of breakfast tacos already awaited her. Her mother, Atalanta, stood proudly before her creations, hands on hips and a smile that reached from ear to ear.

“Potato, eggs, bacon, and sriracha, just like you like it!” Atalanta declared. “I used the extra-spicy kind - nothing like a good splash of hot sauce to get you fired up, am I right?”

“You can say that again!” Nico grinned before wolfing the tacos down as fast as she could. Her tongue burned from the sriracha, but Nico paid it no heed. She had no time to waste, after all.

“‘R yu gna cm wth m’ t’ th’ lb?” she attempted to say with her mouth full of food. Eggs spilled out of her mouth as a casualty.

Atalanta cocked her head bemusedly. “Try saying that after swallowing, hm?”

Nico gulped hard, forcing the rest of the taco down her throat. “I said, are you gonna come with me to the lab?” she asked.

Her mother laughed. “I’m afraid not,” she apologized. “I have a meeting with the Prime Minister in just an hour. We have an environmental policy to discuss, you know. The job of the Secretary for the Environment and Rural Development isn’t to see her daughter off on adventures, as much as I’d like it to be.”

Nico sighed. “I know. I just wish someone could be there.”

Atalanta smiled warmly. “You won’t have to worry about that, my dear,” she said. “Your father will be waiting at Professor Sequoia’s lab for you.”

Nico’s eyes widened and her jaw dropped. “D-dad?!” she stammered. “Dad’s gonna be there?!”

“That’s right,” Atalanta nodded. “He’s taken the time from his busy schedule to be there for you when you start your journey! He’s been as excited for this day as you have.”

“I doubt that,” Nico retorted before finishing off her second taco. “I’ve been waiting for today my whole life!”

Atalanta sighed wistfully. “It seems like only yesterday I brought you into this world. Now you’re moving on up and out into it.” She grabbed Nico’s shoulder and pulled her daughter into a deep hug. “I’m gonna miss you!” she wailed. “Be sure to write every day, OK? I’ll check!”

“Ack!” grunted Nico. “Heyheyheyheyhey, mom, get off of me! It’s gonna be alright!” She pried her mother off of her and patted her on the back. “Don’t worry, I promise to write every week,” she assured Atalanta. “I’ll miss you, too, mom, but I gotta get out of here someday, right?”

Atalanta nodded and wiped the tears from her eyes. “Yes, that’s right,” she agreed. “Alright, your hat and your bag are in the front room. Hurry up and grab them before I get emotional again, OK?”

Nico hugged her mother one more brief time before she hurried from the kitchen and into the living room. Her messenger bag and gatsby cap rested on a black leather armchair, already prepared for the journey before them. She slung the bag over her shoulder, slapped the hat on her head, and bolted out the door.

***​

Darwin Tapia stepped off the boat. Before him stretched the rolling plains of Route 21. The sun shone brightly and tweeting bird Pokemon wheeled in the sky, joyously proclaiming the coming of spring. He breathed in deep the floral aroma and breathed out his worries.

As he took in the sights, it finally dawned on him that he was free at last. Free from his parents, free from his uncle, free from the company. Free to go and do what he wanted. Free to take to the road with nothing but the clothes on his back and the Pokemon on his belt.

The wind rustled his auburn hair.

He felt liberated.

He circled a finger on the top of the Poke Ball that hung from his belt. “We’re free, Wacks,” he whispered to the Pokemon within. Wacks would have cheered, Darwin knew, if he were outside the ball. For now, though, the little fungus was to stay put, at least until Darwin could make it to Goldpan.

The boy took in Route 21 in all its glory for a final time, then turned about and began to walk.

***​

Nico barrelled through a newstand in her hasty charge through Venture City. She called back an abbreviated apology before continuing on her way.

Venture was a large city which dominated northern Alta. Its downtown was a nightmare at rush hour, but overall it was a nice place to live. The summers were not too hot, the winters were not too cold, and in the spring the cherry blossoms bloomed vividly. Nicolasa was proud to call it home.

She had only a short run from her suburban home to the laboratory of Professor Sequoia, situated on the scenic waterfront of Lake Gipper. The glistening, crystal-blue waters loomed as she bounded over a hill. She could see the lab, with its huge water wheel spinning and churning the lake. She would be there in no time.

Professor Sequoia was a solid, well-built man in his mid-forties with thick eyebrows and an incredibly ugly goatee. The Professor had been a family acquaintance even before Nico had been born, and she had known the man all her life. It did not faze him, then, when Nico burst through the lab doors, tripped, and fell into a forward roll before recovering and hopping back upright with her fists on her hips. He did not even look up from his test tubes.

“Good morning, Nicolasa,” he said wryly. He set down his vials carefully, and turned to face his visitor. “You’re here for your Pokemon, then?”

Nico nodded energetically. “I sure am, Professor! I’ve never been so pumped up in my life!”

Sequoia smirked. “Well, I’m afraid I have some bad news,” he informed Nico sadly. “You’ve overslept. Wacks, Sparkipillar, Tadson… all the Pokemon I normally give away are all gone. They’ve been claimed by other Trainers.”

Nico’s heart sank. “What?” she said numbly. “A-are you serious? There’s none left?!”

Sequoia laughed. “I’m sorry,” he chuckled. “I suppose that was a bad joke. Don’t worry, Nico, there’s plenty of Pokemon available. I’d have to be pretty foolish to only have one of each available!”

Nico glared at the grinning scientist. “You nearly gave me a heart attack!” she chided.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry,” Sequoia apologized, holding up his hands. “Come on, follow me upstairs. I’ve got your three choices laid out on a table up there. Your father is waiting with them.”

Sequoia led Nico up the creaky wood steps. “Here we are,” he said when they reached the top. “Now, Nico, what Pokemon will you-”

Sequoia cut himself off with a gasp.

Bart, Nico’s father, was indeed upstairs, but he was slouched against the wall rubbing his head and grimacing, as if he were recovering from a blow to the head. Two Poke Balls had been knocked off the mahogany table, with the third nowhere to be found. The room was filled with a draft - the window had been broken open from the outside, and glass covered the floor around it.

“Bart!” Sequoia shouted in alarm, running to his friend and helping him up. “What happened here?”

“Are you alright, dad?” asked Nico.

“I’m fine,” Bart groaned. “Just got a bit of a knock in the head, to keep me from interfering. Some punk busted in, grabbed one of the Pokemon, and bailed out through the window. Happened just as Nico was coming in, and when the wheel was at its loudest, so you wouldn’t have heard the glass break. Can’t help but think this was planned.”

“Well, that doesn’t matter right now,” Sequoia assured him. “I’ll contact the police. We’ll leave it to them to handle this.”

Impulsively, rashly, Nico made a decision.

Quick as a flash, she scooped a Poke Ball up from the floor, turned about, and bolted back down the stairs.

“Nico!” Bart yelled. “Where are you going?!”

“Don’t worry, dad!” Nico called back as she hurtled toward the door. “I’ll stop the thief and get the Pokemon back!”

“What?! Nico, no! It’s too-”

But it was too late. Nico bust through the door and hit the ground running, racing back toward Venture City. It would be easy for a thief to disappear into such a dense city, unless Nico could catch them first.

She gritted her teeth and ran faster. She couldn’t let this one get away!

She didn’t notice the young woman, doubled over and panting in exhaustion, until Nico collided with her. Nico stumbled back to her feet to see the woman scowling at her.

She was taller than Nico, but looked to be around the same age. She had pale skin and long black hair arranged in a flowing ponytail, and her figure was thick and toned. She wore buff khaki pants and a jacket, both of which were covered in pockets, like some kind of field reporter. A Poke Ball was clenched in her left hand, which squeezed the ball as hard as possible in anger.

“Watch where you’re going!” the woman snapped.

“S-sorry,” Nico said apologetically. “I’m just in a hurry, see? I’m looking for someone who’s just stolen a Pokemon… from.. Pro...fessor…”

Her words petered off as she noticed something unusual about the top of the Poke Ball the woman held. Etched into the dome were a pair of distinctive words, which were used to mark the origin of specimen Pokemon, in case of theft. The words read Sequoia Labs.

Nico gasped.

“You!” she exclaimed, pointing at the woman accusingly. “You’re the thief! You’re the one who stole the Pokemon from Professor Sequoia!”

The woman huffed and crossed her arms. “Tch. So what if I am? I needed it, and I was in too much of a hurry to ask nicely. I’d advise you to turn right back around and quit meddling in affairs that don’t concern you, and about which you know nothing. Got that, chump?” She wrinkled her nose derisively at the last word.

“No way!” Nico growled, squeezing her own Poke Ball angrily. “I can’t just let you get away with this! I’m challenging you, right here, right now, to a Pokemon battle! When I win, you have to give back the Pokemon you stole!”

“You’re getting ahead of yourself, scrub,” the woman sneered. “I can assure you that you will not be able to beat me in a battle. You’ll only embarrass yourself.” She sighed. “But fine. It seems you need an wake-up call. An education to dissipate that headstrong naivitie you seem to ooze from every pore.”

She tossed her Poke Ball. “Battle start!” she cried.

Nico followed suit with her own Poke Ball. “Let’s do this!”

Nico’s ball burst open, and her Pokemon appeared in a flash of light. It was a red, wormlike Pokemon with a segmented body and large, round, black eyes. Flames flickered between its body segments, and its mandibles clicked together noisily. “Sprrrk, sprrrrrrrk!” it gurgled.

“Sparkipillar!” Nico said in surprise. She hadn’t realized before now that she hadn’t actually checked what Pokemon were in each Ball. “I chose the same Pokemon that my dad did?”

“Pay attention!” the woman barked. “In a real battle there’s no room for distraction!”

Nico turned her eyes to the woman’s Pokemon. It was a round, navy blue sphere with arms, legs, and a face which was grimacing aggressively. A long tail stuck out of its back, which was bordered by a thin, clear length of skin. “Tad!” it croaked. “Tad!”

“Tadson,” Nico identified. “Why Tadson?” she asked the woman.

“That’s no business of yours!” the woman replied. “This isn’t question time, it’s battling time, so let’s get down to it! I’m going to make this as quick and painless for you as I can. Tadson, use Tail Whip! Lower the insect’s defenses!”

Tadson rolled forward before Nico could react. The woman’s Pokemon left the roll into a spin upwards, slapping its tail across Sparkipillar’s face with a wet smack. The worm shuddered in discomfort from the attack, and Tadson rolled back to its Trainer to prepare its next move.

Nico clenched her fist. “Cheap shot!” she said. “Alright, Sparkipillar, you.. uh… do… an attack?”

Sparkipillar looked back at Nico incredulously. Nico gulped. “Uh… oh, what attacks do you have?”

The woman shook her head disgustedly. “You’ve challenged me to a battle without any knowledge of what your Pokemon’s moves are?” she asked. “From the sounds of things, you did it without even knowing what Pokemon you had. Just how foolhardy are you, anyway?”

Nico was sweating nervously. “I-I’m no fool!” she stammered. “Uh… Sparkipillar! Use… Tackle?”

Tackle, it seemed, was indeed within Sparkipillar’s repertoire. It curled into a ball and rolled itself towards Tadson at ramming speed.

“Dodge the attack, Tadson!” ordered the woman. “And use Tail Whip once more!”

Tadson braced itself, and leapt out of the way just before Sparkipillar could connect with its target. Tadson landed behind Nico’s Pokemon, and whirled around to strike the worm with its tail once again.

“Tackle, Sparkipillar!” Nico shouted desperately.

“Dodge!” the woman countered.

Once again, Sparkipillar rolled itself up and wheeled toward Tadson with intent to strike, and once again Tadson dodged the attack just in time. Why couldn’t Nico’s Pokemon land a hit? It felt like she and Sparkipillar were out of sync somehow. The frustration was enough to make her want to tear her hair out.

“This has gone on for long enough,” the woman declared. “Tadson, finish things with Pound.”

“Now who’s getting ahead of herself?” Nico retorted. “Sparkipillar, use Tackle!”

For a third time, Nico’s Pokemon curled itself and spun towards its foe. Also for a third time, Tadson leapt into the air and dodged the attack. This time, however, Tadson fell straight down, slamming tail-first into Sparkipillar. The worm’s eyes bugged out and it wheezed painfully before collapsing into unconsciousness.

No!” Nico cried, and she rushed to her Pokemon, picking it up gingerly and cradling it in her arms. Sparkapillar twitched weakly, unable to do more.

There was a flash of red light as the woman recalled her Pokemon. The woman glowered down at Nico for a moment before turning to leave. She clipped her Poke Ball to her belt and rustled around in one of her pockets before producing a grappling gun.

“You’re weak,” the woman said sharply. “You’re weak and inexperienced, and you were a fool to challenge me. I hope that our paths never cross again, but if they do, I would advise you to stay out of my way. Have I made my point yet?”

Nico looked down at her struggling bug. “Who… w-who are you?” she asked faintly, in a cracking voice.

The woman looked back at Nico with a piercing stare, and took aim with her grapple. “Who I am is none of your business,” she said grimly. “However… you may call me Schwarz.”

With that, she fired her grapple with a click-whoosh, and within minutes she had disappeared among the rooftops.

Nico gave no reaction. She simply stared down at her Pokemon, awash with confusion and shame.