• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Throughout The Ages

harryheart

Pokemon has had amny incarnations during it's 10+ years, starting with asthetic changes in games to the introduction of new Pokemon in subsequent generations, and the introduction of new game mechanics/features. The other branches of the franchise like the anime and TCG have also undergone their fair few changes as well, and as time's progressed things seem to be on a steady increase quality wise and many of the additions are warmly accepted and loved!

So what would you say your favourite change was and why? What features have you enjoyed having? What aspects of the franchise have you enjoyed watching evolve?

And on the other end of the scale are the opposites to those questions. What's your least favourite change been and why? What features haven't quite lived up to hype/promotion or haven't been how you thought they would? What aspects of the franchise have you felt haven't improved or didn't evolve well in your opinion?

Also what changes would you like to see in the future? say the return of something that has subsequently vanished from the franchises, or perhaps something you've been dreaming about since day one!

Qwerty8181

Wanderer of Regions
My favorites would have to be the moving battle sprites and the increased battle speed. I don't know what my least favorite would be, but I know I was annoyed by the way gamefreak reintroduced dive. I also like that you don't need any HMs to progress the story, but it takes away from the puzzle aspect of navigating the overworld. Anyway, these are just my opinions.

Nevlo

Jack of all Trades
Well i agree with ur opinion about dive.
the ribbons may come back imo, radio to and where is this so called Pokemon mmorpg that people have been talking about like 5years or so.

for the the rest thumbs up!!

Firebrand

Indomitable
I like that the tempo of battles has gone up, and how each generation adds new strategies for battles, even if you only play noncompetitive like me. The vast and growing diversity is certainly its strongest pull.
My least favorite change was, probably, the C-Gear. Something like that could easily have been a key item, and the touch screen could have been the menu like in hgss. Or something else that utelized he touch screen, which, to be honest, mainstream games have been notorious for neglecting. Also, i was rather disappointed that no pokemon follow you in B/W, but I can see why (because B/W and hgss were developed in parralel.)

TheWatersGreatGuardian

Legendary Trainer
Favorite changes would be moving sprites and not having to save when switching between boxes.

Least favorite, no folllowing pokemon in Gen 5

Last edited:

Poke_Cannon

Beck is my boy'
im still waiting for the day we can play two stories on the same ds.. being able to save both at the same time.

1 save file is so lame.

Atratus

Antimatter Trainer
The physical / special split, the animated sprites and moving "camera", TMs being used without disappearing, HMs reduced in numbers - All great. Also, the introduction of daytime and later seasons - great too. The VS seeker is something I am ambiguous about. It made Platinum very easy, but HG/SS were frustrating without it. B/W gave the lucky egg and higher leveled random encounters so it is great the way it is. I think they should being back follow-me pokemon thing, diving (but actual useful and fun diving), and the HG/SS touch screen options. It was great not to have to open another menu to get to what is essential. I also miss the pokethlon. It was awesome.

Things for the future.. Optional harder AI, more saving slots, and more variety in type distribution between new pokemon (although the fifth did this quite well, actually)

pokedexfiller

Unova Trainer
I honestly didn't know if I'd like the moving sprites, but I do. i'm also glad you can see the time in the C-gear in Black/White. It got so annoying having to go to the Pokeradar all the time. I also like the new way the PC was done in Black/White. You can carry a Pokemon to the next box instead of having the boxes at the top and putting it in one like in HGSS. I got so confusing!

Of course, like most people, I HIGHLY miss the Pokemon following you around feature, but I have hopes that it will come back.

Vivian

Favorite: We doesn´t have to see that creepy message " the box is full" when you just find a shiny pokemon and try to catch it. Now, when the box is full, the pokemon go to another box automaticaly.
Least favorite: Gen V doesnt have pokeathlon.

TheWatersGreatGuardian

Legendary Trainer
For the future, harder in game AI with high leveled pkm. (for when your team is in the mid 80s and nuking everything with one hit

Bianca~

Almost Never Online.
Reusable TMs in Black/White are amazing. I actually use them now.

Running shoes were a great addition, too, although I still use the Bike.

The absence of an internal battery is a huge improvement as well, but that has more to do with advancing technology.

Also: Saving a lot of data...

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
I really liked the Battle Frontier. In Emerald, there were 7 fun facilities, although some of them were lame. Platinum had five quality facilities that kept me playing for weeks. I'm hoping the third expansion to Black/White will have an even better facility.

metagrody6

COMO UN JEFE
Unlike most of you I could(n't) care less about the animated sprites and moving camera. When the camera zooms in on your Pokémon it's all blocky ;-; I wish they would bring back the move animations from Gen 3. They rocked.

You know what would be a beast? A game that could let you play from each Gen's perspective. The black and whiteness of 1, the limited color of 2, the GBAness of 3, the 3Dness of 4, and... The more 3Dness of 5?

DrasticPhase

Half ded
My favorites in geneartion five were
-animated sprites
-reusable TMs

what i wish they could bring back
-battling facilities in emerald
-vs seeker
-pokemon will follow you
-pokeathlon

motown

What I am waiting on is a Pokemon game for the Wii that lets you play through all 5 regions of the pokemon world. that would be one epic and loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong game which is what pokemon is all about. Nonetheless, Pokemon has greatly improved for the better.

FormeEon

The DNA Master
I LOVED using Dive in 3rd Gen. I hate how that works in 5th. I like the moving sprites and faster battles in 5th. But I hate how easy the storymode is, and then after that its insanely tough. I also liked rivals who you can hate. (GARY MOTHER#$%^ING OAK) And I especially liked the whole drama of Platinum when Giratina appears. Oh and i also like Pokemon following you.