• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon: Twilight Wings

Red and Blue

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Which Dexit'd Pokémon showed up on Nessa's short?

Also, I think the apology might be because... They don't want to face a battle in the court?

I mean, the anime is theorically an add to get people to buy SwSh. If they show a Pokémon that are not in the games, they are technically making false advertising about the game's content.

Of course, I'm far from an expert on those subjects but that might a potential reason.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
It's such a weird thing to apologize for even if I understand why some would be upset.
Which Dexit'd Pokémon showed up on Nessa's short?

Also, I think the apology might be because... They don't want to face a battle in the court?

I mean, the anime is theorically an add to get people to buy SwSh. If they show a Pokémon that are not in the games, they are technically making false advertising about the game's content.

Of course, I'm far from an expert on those subjects but that might a potential reason.
It’s just one Dewgong. Why would this need a court battle of all things lol

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
It's just speculation, as I said

It's less how similar things are and more how we're not reusing the same damn character used over 2 decades mar the picture of real in-game characters who are given more depth than their downgraded characters in the anime for children...of a game aimed to all ages.

Oh, and animation being so sweet anyway. Short, but sweet. (Contrasting the anime's "sour, but long" approach, but only because it's mostly a cheap marketing tool with very uncommon quality.)

I don't disagree with you on this. In the main Anime gym leaders/NPCs are mostly opponents and we normally don't get to see their side of the story, their goals and aspirations. This new approach indeed give us some new insight into their character. My point is that these stories aren't new or completely out of the realm of the main Anime. We have seen these done before and even though the Anime dumbs it down, it doesn't completely eliminate their whole story.

I still think it is mostly about the animation. The only episode that stood out for me as far as storytelling is concerned was the first one and I believe it didn't focus on an NPC.

Basically, it's "We need to advertise Sword and Shield! Here's some money!!" and then a producer turning around and saying "I know just the way to make an unforgettable advertisement: we'll let Yamashita Shingo use his directing style unencumbered!" And that is how we get here, where the series is gorgeous looking thanks to great layouts, lighting, post-processing and skilled key animators.

Spot on.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
So, while this mini-series is obviously not done yet, I gotta say... This is clearly the best of the mini-series they've done. Granted when its main competition is Generations, which was a whole bunch of half-finished scenes that were all setup and literally cut away before the payoff, that might not be too high a hurdle to clear. Meanwhile Origins mostly suffers from trying to do way too much in way too little time and telling like half its story through montage.

So as it turns out telling short and simple stories with a constantly shifting perspective was the best way to get this mini-series thing working. Who'da thunk it? (Well, the excellent animation and directing obviously also helps. Really Twilight Wings is like 70% pure atmosphere.)

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
So, while this mini-series is obviously not done yet, I gotta say... This is clearly the best of the mini-series they've done. Granted when its main competition is Generations, which was a whole bunch of half-finished scenes that were all setup and literally cut away before the payoff, that might not be too high a hurdle to clear. Meanwhile Origins mostly suffers from trying to do way too much in way too little time and telling like half its story through montage.

So as it turns out telling short and simple stories with a constantly shifting perspective was the best way to get this mini-series thing working. Who'da thunk it? (Well, the excellent animation and directing obviously also helps. Really Twilight Wings is like 70% pure atmosphere.)

Near as I can tell The Origin didn't have a series director (kantoku) and Generations' Tomiyasu Daiki just isn't as competant a director as Yamashita Shingo. In fact, I don't see very many credits for Tomiyasu so I have to wonder if he was just a production assistant that eventually made it to storyboarding and enshutsu work. Yamashita started out not just as an animator but a star animator trusted with important battle scenes so it makes sense that his directing would be tighter.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Near as I can tell The Origin didn't have a series director (kantoku) and Generations' Tomiyasu Daiki just isn't as competant a director as Yamashita Shingo. In fact, I don't see very many credits for Tomiyasu so I have to wonder if he was just a production assistant that eventually made it to storyboarding and enshutsu work. Yamashita started out not just as an animator but a star animator trusted with important battle scenes so it makes sense that his directing would be tighter.
Yeah, and that was Pre-SM Tomiyasu

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
Yeah, and that was Pre-SM Tomiyasu

Yup, Tomiyasu was functioning as the assistant series director of XY at the time. He was also the storyboard artist and episode director of The Origin Episode #4 which had some okay-ish battle scenes. Meanwhile, Yamashita already had more experience with being very hands-on through the Openings, Endings, and episodes he would direct and animate on. Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta Episode #1 and #10, for example, show his ability to director someone else's storyboard and then direct his own (while also providing key animation).

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Yup, Tomiyasu was functioning as the assistant series director of XY at the time. He was also the storyboard artist and episode director of The Origin Episode #4 which had some okay-ish battle scenes. Meanwhile, Yamashita already had more experience with being very hands-on through the Openings, Endings, and episodes he would direct and animate on. Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta Episode #1 and #10, for example, show his ability to director someone else's storyboard and then direct his own (while also providing key animation).
How would you rate Tomiyasu's directing in SM, btw?

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
How would you rate Tomiyasu's directing in SM, btw?

As a series director I think he did a really good job. Sun & Moon is the most mature series yet, featuring stories about death and growing up that I don't think other series did nearly as poignantly. The focus on character animation rather than battles also sets Sun & Moon a part from the other series and I really like that. Characters move to convey ideas about them, the story and the over all tone. Sun & Moon is the model by which I think all Pokemon series should work off of if possible. It's truly inspired and Tomiyasu kept that machine marching rather impressively for a 146 episode series.

Funnily enough, I still haven't gotten around to watching the last two episodes. Depression sucks.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
As a series director I think he did a really good job. Sun & Moon is the most mature series yet, featuring stories about death and growing up that I don't think other series did nearly as poignantly. The focus on character animation rather than battles also sets Sun & Moon a part from the other series and I really like that. Characters move to convey ideas about them, the story and the over all tone. Sun & Moon is the model by which I think all Pokemon series should work off of if possible. It's truly inspired and Tomiyasu kept that machine marching rather impressively for a 146 episode series.

Funnily enough, I still haven't gotten around to watching the last two episodes. Depression sucks.
Yeah, and I like a lot of the shot composition from SM (which is why I made my "Direction in the pokemon anime" thread).

That sucks, though I'll just tell you these episodes have some very well animated scenes (maenami was in the Raboot one), so that could help you take your mind off things for a bit

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
TPCI actually apologized to people for Nessa's episode featuring Pokemon not native in Sword & Shield.

...Wait, hasn't the actual anime shown non-native Pokemon in Galar itself even if they visit from other regi- *gets shot*
I didn't see much of an issue about Pokemons not appearing in the game but shown in Twilight Wings, neither is about not having every Pokemon so far in the game. I don't know, seeing how much new stuffs/contents they put in the game and for me who used to program games, I thought we should give them a break?