• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon: Twilight Wings

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
800px-John_Tommy_first_day.png

This is pretty cool. The director of Twilight Wings, Shingo Yamashita, posted official art of John and Tommy's first day as Pokemon trainers. Rookidee and Dreepy. Great choices I think for a Pokemon journey. Love the art style for this image, has a very Ghibli vibe to it, reminding me of my love of paintings. Also, I believe they are both wearing Red's cap which is an awesome little detail.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
800px-John_Tommy_first_day.png

This is pretty cool. The director of Twilight Wings, Shingo Yamashita, posted official art of John and Tommy's first day as Pokemon trainers. Rookidee and Dreepy. Great choices I think for a Pokemon journey. Love the art style for this image, has a very Ghibli vibe to it, reminding me of my love of paintings. Also, I believe they are both wearing Red's cap which is an awesome little detail.
I love the subtle references to their pokemon choices. Tommy has a Dreepy because of his friendship with Allister, & John has a Rookidee because of how he & Leon rode on Corviknight together.

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
Being monthly is in no way a guarantee of being good. Super Dragon Ball Heroes is a monthly mini-series as well and that one, from what I understand, is fairly consistently weak with only a few brief standout moments. While I'm sure having a month to do ten minutes rather than a week to do twenty definitely helped, the quality of this series is more down to the people who worked on it.

...Though comparing this to SDBH seems pretty unfair anyway considering how that one is clearly just a commercial for a card game, whereas this one... is technically still a commercial but it also seems to have been a genuine passion project.

Might be a budget thing as well. Maybe TW has a better budget than SDBH has

It depends on the staff. Yamashita Shingo is a well-respected animator and director and has many connections with talented animators. Yamamuro Tadayoshi is a bad animator and director and so any episode of Super Dragon Ball Heroes he is directly involved in looks like and moves like ass. The two episodes storyboarded by Karasawa Kazuya--instead of Yamamuro like all of the others--were the two best episodes of the series insofar.

Staff selection really is important. Yamashita is a young auteur, Yamamuro is a long-past his prime animator who--despite working directly under Toei Animation's best directors for years--didn't become a director until his fifties and has no directing sense whatsoever. Also, the guy over corrects character animation to the point that animators are willing to talk bad about him in public, so...

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
It depends on the staff. Yamashita Shingo is a well-respected animator and director and has many connections with talented animators. Yamamuro Tadayoshi is a bad animator and director and so any episode of Super Dragon Ball Heroes he is directly involved in looks like and moves like ass. The two episodes storyboarded by Karasawa Kazuya--instead of Yamamuro like all of the others--were the two best episodes of the series insofar.

Staff selection really is important. Yamashita is a young auteur, Yamamuro is a long-past his prime animator who--despite working directly under Toei Animation's best directors for years--didn't become a director until his fifties and has no directing sense whatsoever. Also, the guy over corrects character animation to the point that animators are willing to talk bad about him in public, so...
I got two words for Yamamuro:

Daaaaaaaaaaamn.

Ouch.

Reactions: i2i

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
I got two words for Yamamuro:

Daaaaaaaaaaamn.

Ouch.

The guy...just can't direct. Or animate. Or storyboard. Or design characters. Like, he was the animation supervisor for Movies #11-19 (1993-2015) and worked under directors like Yama'uchi Shigeyasu (a legend) and Ueda Yoshihiro (in his prime)...yet he never learned from them. His directing is so bland. He storyboarded and directed Movie #19 (2015), designed the characters and corrected the key animation drawings. Normally, if a director does this (Wakabayashi Atsushi's Naruto episodes) it's normally a huge event. For Yamamuro? God help us.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Episode 5 literally said he recovered, but he still is required to stay in the hospital to see if his condition doesn't change for the worse.
Yeah but what was he suffering! Even in the first episode he looked somewhat peachy enough to run to the top of the building to deliver paper to Chairman Rose.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
The guy...just can't direct. Or animate. Or storyboard. Or design characters. Like, he was the animation supervisor for Movies #11-19 (1993-2015) and worked under directors like Yama'uchi Shigeyasu (a legend) and Ueda Yoshihiro (in his prime)...yet he never learned from them. His directing is so bland. He storyboarded and directed Movie #19 (2015), designed the characters and corrected the key animation drawings. Normally, if a director does this (Wakabayashi Atsushi's Naruto episodes) it's normally a huge event. For Yamamuro? God help us.
Or DBS 128, which was well animated but awfully directed. Almost all camera angles were either flat or really awkward. I'm glad he didn't storyboard 131,because that was a visual masterpiece (though story-wise not so much). I do feel bad for 129 (yes, I know it wasn't by Yamamuro) ,as it was well boarded, but like 80% of the animation was recycled (and not even bank, just flat out recycled key animation)

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
Or DBS 128, which was well animated but awfully directed. Almost all camera angles were either flat or really awkward. I'm glad he didn't storyboard 131,because that was a visual masterpiece (though story-wise not so much). I do feel bad for 129 (yes, I know it wasn't by Yamamuro) ,as it was well boarded, but like 80% of the animation was recycled (and not even bank, just flat out recycled key animation)

Episode #131 just had Yamamuro as animation supervisor, yeah. That episode had Ishitani Megumi (one of the series' assistant episode directors) storyboard and direct (her first officially credit, although she was allowed un-credited control over a previous episode). It's such a well directed episode. Ishitani talked about how she depicted Jiren's depression in Episode #131 and you can really tell that she just GETS it. It's such a good thought-process.

Yamamuro's corrects are as disappointing as ever. Luckily he didn't entirely correct Takahashi Yuuya's scenes--we can still see how Takahashi draws muscles like Yamamuro did in 1993-1995--but those faces took a hit.

Episode #129 was hit so hard by the poor production schedule the series has always had. The storyboard and episode director was by Mitsuka Masato, who is now the series director of the 2020 Digimon Adventure: series. They are also storyboarded Vegeta versus Broli in the 2018 film if I'm remembering correctly.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Episode #131 just had Yamamuro as animation supervisor, yeah. That episode had Ishitani Megumi (one of the series' assistant episode directors) storyboard and direct (her first officially credit, although she was allowed un-credited control over a previous episode). It's such a well directed episode. Ishitani talked about how she depicted Jiren's depression in Episode #131 and you can really tell that she just GETS it. It's such a good thought-process.

Yamamuro's corrects are as disappointing as ever. Luckily he didn't entirely correct Takahashi Yuuya's scenes--we can still see how Takahashi draws muscles like Yamamuro did in 1993-1995--but those faces took a hit.

Episode #129 was hit so hard by the poor production schedule the series has always had. The storyboard and episode director was by Mitsuka Masato, who is now the series director of the 2020 Digimon Adventure: series. They are also storyboarded Vegeta versus Broli in the 2018 film if I'm remembering correctly.
She made Jiren have more personality in one episode than the previous 50 episodes did.

Yeah, his corrrections were pretty blatant, though I guess it makes sense since it's the final episode so everyone has to be on model (even if those models aren't exactly good, and I'm really glad Shintani made new ones for DBS Broly)

Haven't seen DA 2020, though I've heard it had an amazing start. Tbh 129 straight up looked unfinished, some parts looked really rough. I did love this cut from Karasawa though

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
She made Jiren have more personality in one episode than the previous 50 episodes did.

Yeah, his corrrections were pretty blatant, though I guess it makes sense since it's the final episode so everyone has to be on model (even if those models aren't exactly good, and I'm really glad Shintani made new ones for DBS Broly)

Haven't seen DA 2020, though I've heard it had an amazing start. Tbh 129 straight up looked unfinished, some parts looked really rough. I did love this cut from Karasawa though

Series Composition for Digimon Adventure: is done by Tomioka Atsuhiro so it's cool seeing him get to write for a different monster series with slightly different rules. The first three episodes are an homage to Hosoda Mamoru's second Digimon film, so be sure to be on the look out for homages abound!

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
Is this Dragon Ball anime really that terrible

Dragon Ball Super: Broli (2018) is legitimately the best animated Dragon Ball project, in part because Yamamuro Tadayoshi isn't involved in the film in any capacity. The Dragon Ball Super TV series had an awful production schedule (less than three months pre-production) and had to struggle to get more than one or two good animators during its first year of production. Even Tate Naoki, one of the best animators on the series, rarely had a chance to produce work on his normal level. This is in part a combination of a lack of time, a lack of animators and bad, horrible character designs that are hard to animate (especially on a lack of time and with few key animators). Super Dragon Ball Heroes is just Yamamuro-isms turned up a thousand fold for eight minutes an episode.

LucasMV

Twilight's last episode's D-Max was so much BETTER than the main anime's D-Max. Not only because G-Max Charizard actually ran towards his opponent, meaning mobility is much better, but also because the G-Max fire type move was thrown out of Charizard's mouth, in a much more natural way than the weird fire dragon that appears out of nowhere from the main anime.

It actually felt like it was just giant pokemon fighting, but they can still move, run and the moves are just giant versions of the base ones. While in the main anime, they barely move at all, most attacks feel unnatural and it's just not appealing at all. I actually wanted to see more in this one, which is a first for a D-Max battle.
I hope they change the way they portray D-Max in the main anime to be more similar to Twilight's, cause now that I've seen it can be way better, it'll be hard to see the poor portray of the main anime again, specially since the most important battle at the end of it all will be between G-Maxed pokemon.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Yeah but what was he suffering! Even in the first episode he looked somewhat peachy enough to run to the top of the building to deliver paper to Chairman Rose.
In the episode where he is asked if the operation was a success, we see what look like some kind of heart monitoring device that's been removed. So the most we can speculate is that he had some kind of heart condition that required an operation to fix.