• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon: Twilight Wings

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I enjoy reading the Pokemon Adventures manga and one of the things I love is that while the art-style in the back can be simple at times, you can still notice all these little details and subtle character developments such as the story being written through their facial expressions and actions without uttering a single word and these different "camera" angles that help forge a certain type of tone from dread to hopeful and wonder. All these little details and subtle cues help make a character feel more like a real person. It's this kind of stuff that I rarely, if at all, see in animation from the Pokemon series. Which is why this animation really surprised me as someone who is a fan of animation and the Pokemon Adventures manga. This is honestly the kind of animation I've always wanted to see from Pokemon.

The lighting, the camera angles, the quiet scenery in the background, the color overtones, the focus of the camera work, the different angles along with the numerous facial expressions and body movements that can make a bare-bones character like Chairman Rose feel like a legitimate character? I haven't seen anything like this from Pokemon since Pokemon Adventures which started in 1997, 1 month before the anime was released. I'm serious, if you told me that both Lysandre of the anime and games felt artificial to you, I'd bring up Lysandre of the manga who feels like a legitimate person because of the facial expressions, simple body movements like just sitting down and putting his leg over the other, "camera" work and quiet scenery in the background of the panels that helps make Lysandre feel less like this artificial character to serve as a way to move the plot and more like an actual person and threat to the main characters. Which is why I think some of you can understand that this animation really surprised me. Wow, this is just wow because I'm surprised to see this measure of thought and detail put into the characters even though it's just six minutes. That is like insane considering how stubborn the Pokemon Company can be that there are times I honestly thought I would never see this kind of animation in my entire lifetime. I think Pokemon Adventures might have a worthy challenger here. I mean sure, Pokemon Generations exists and it's also awesome but nothing on this level in terms of camerawork and attention to detail. Honestly the only thing I felt was missing and this is really just nitpicking is a bit of humor here and there. It's only the first episode but in all honesty, this is easily in my opinion the best piece of Pokemon animation there is and this is just the animation and details. I haven't even gotten into talking about the plot which is simple but still a bit of heartwarmer. Also the voice-acting is just phenomenal. Praise to the voice-acting for breathing even more personality into these characters.

To sum it up, this is easily in my very top favorite Pokemon mediums, easily surpassing Pokemon Generations which itself is already really good Pokemon content. It may even go past the video games in my opinion depending on what I see later. I can't wait to see the rest.

I really liked the first episode of twilight wings.We got to see a lot of the gym leaders too which was nice though Corviknight is a lot bigger than I expected.
For me, that's how I exactly imagined Corviknight's size based on the games. Not the size from the Pokemon battles but how big Corviknight is in the in-game world, especially that part where he blocks off a route. That was when I was surprised how big he was.

Just watched it and it was fine, and this actually makes me excited for the appearance of these game characters in the classic anime haha(with Leon, the others are very likely too)
I liked how, from the other "spin off animations", this is the only one that focuses more on the region itself with its own story than just animate in-game events with some extra story added like Origins and most of Generations
All the more reason to look forward to this piece of animation. To see the Galar region as it's very own character. You know. Now that I said that, oh man. I don't think I've actually ever got that feeling of the region feeling like it's own character from the games as opposed to something like Alola, Unova and even Kalos as short of a region that was.

I expected nothing and yet I got about six minutes of SOOOOooooooouuuullll I’ve been thirsty for some Galar, no lie. This special also helps sell you on Rose’s ambition and care for the Galar Region. The style is similar to the games, it makes you feel like you’re playing the games itself. Sucks this couldn’t be a basic anime series of like 13-episodes focusing on the Galar universe. Really, Rose taking the time to see sick children in the hospital makes you want to cry and Leon’s being a light for those children.
One of the reasons why I thought Chairman Rose is the worst Pokemon villain so far of the games is that he felt like just another Lysandre. Here in this animation, he kind of reminds me of Tony Stark who is trying to do good but ends up creating a whole ton of problems for the world. I hope the Pokemon Adventures manga goes into a similar direction.

I met Leon.

Never meet your heroes.

Can you believe dude can get lost on a straight path to his home.
I can't remember if this happens in the games but in the Pokemon Adventures Sword & Shield manga, the first time Sou (Victor) and Schilly (Gloria) meet Champion Leon is hilarious.

The two main characters are watching TV of the upcoming Pokemon Champion Match hosted far away in Wyndon City which is located all the way north of Galar only to later find the Pokemon Champion himself seemingly being chased by a herd of Wooloo in Wedgehurst which is literally almost all the way on the opposite side of the Galar Region from Wyndon. When that little adventure is over, Leon takes a train to Wyndon's League Match only to get lost somewhere else again.
After all that, I'm thinking. I wonder if whoever at GameFreak designed Leon is a big One Piece fan if you people get what I'm saying lol.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
The human character designs reminded me of a few character designs from the first two Digimon series, which is a good thing. I didn't like the Inuyashiki-style animation when it came to character movements, however. I appreciate that this miniseries is at least promoting Shield and Sword better than the main anime, but I still think that Pocket Monsters is the better series by a slight margin despite its flaws.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I'm more invested in Twilight Wings one episode in than the main Gen 8 anime.
Yeah, I liked the boy determination to send the letter to Rose in order to see his idol Leon despite his struggles. It's a nice change from Ash & Pikachu defeating opponent or TRio #1643290 .

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Yeah, I liked the boy determination to send the latter to Rose in order to see his idol Leon despite his struggles. It's a nice change from Ash defeating opponent or TRio #1643290 .
Running in the 90's! Is a new way I like to be! I'm just running in the 90's! Is a new way to set me free!

EDIT: Huh. Now that I take another look at it, holy crap that is awkward lol.

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
For a series of short, it was pretty cool. I like the animation better than the one from generations

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Well... that was... something...

I'm not saying I didn't enjoy that, it's just compared to the other YouTube series we've gotten (Origins and Generations), this just feels so random and almost pointless. My best guess for why this even exists is that The Pokémon Company felt like they needed to focus more on Galar in animated form, since the anime doesn't have it as a central focus. I don't disagree, but still. Odd.

Still though, it was interesting, and this seems like it could be heading a very dark direction, assuming that the story stays focused on the kid, rather then jumping around and telling different character's stories. I'm honestly not sure if I'd rather this be an anthology series, or remain focused on the kid.

Oh, and I am going to assume until proven otherwise that that was indeed Ash hidden in the background and that this story takes place in regular anime continuity. Makes it more fun for me.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
Sucks this couldn’t be an extended series, imagine the premise of a young Victor receiving an endorsement letter after recovering from his illness due to his childhood meeting with Rose. Way more interesting than the player character getting one because he’s so super special and friends with the literal champion’s brother. He becomes great through a chance interaction versus just being destined to be that way due to his privilege. Also reminds me of Mitsuru/Wally with his ambiguous anime illness so there’s already an endearment factor. Would watch just to see how things turn out for him.

Last edited:

BabaVanga

I enjoyed this episode, even if its tone is not my cup of tea and I wouldn't want the main anime go be like that. It's great to see the Galar characters animated.

Only thing I didn't like about it were the names they chose for the 2 protagonists, I expected something that would fit more with the rest of Galar cast tbh.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
To those who thought it was Bede before they said his name... How??? Bea literally appears on TV and is the same age as her ingame appearance. This looks to be set just before the games. Also they look nothing alike...???

I really liked this ep and am looking forward to more. Would have preferred a 12 ep series with 8 being dedicated to the gym leaders and 4 being cute little world building like this episode but oh well, 7 is fine too I guess. Highly looking forward to the next ep.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Would pay a hundred bucks for this to be the main anime. Loved everything in these six minutes except for the weird shading. I even like that "artbook" kind of artstyle since it fits so well to the character designs. I also would love the setup of those two kids meeting Rose when they were younger and starting their Pokemon adventure when they become ten if this series continues with these two kids. This only proofs how much the series would change to the better if they would finally write of Ash.

Seriously now end PM2019 soon and make room for this to be an actual thing even if that's mean a worse animation because this could very well be the best Pokemon anime since a decade and does have a ton of potential.