• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon: Twilight Wings

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Pretty much what @TheWanderingMist said

Wallace has literally nothing outside of his role as the watcher of the Cave of Origin. Leon actually does something throughout the story. Even if I hate how Leon’s character boils down to being undefeated and terrible at directions, I honestly can’t see how Wallace is more interesting than Leon.

Only Champions I get a sense of wisdom and respect from are Steven, Cynthia, Iris, & Leon.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Leon is far more interesting than Lance at least. He has way more variety in his team, even if his ace is a boring choice. Clair is a much more interesting Dragon Trainer than Lance ever was, and she's only the 8th Johto Leader.
Clair is a whiny baby who doesn't give you the badge upon beating her and forces you to go inside some cave with a building just to "prove yourself". I know who to choose!

Also the whole "Leon is undefeated" feels so tacky that it doesn't actually make you believe he's that good.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Clair is a whiny baby who doesn't give you the badge upon beating her and forces you to go inside some cave with a building just to "prove yourself". I know who to choose!

Also the whole "Leon is undefeated" feels so tacky that it doesn't actually make you believe he's that good.

That's one of the major issues. They didn't need to hype up Lance -> Diantha that way, being champion was more than enough to give the impression the trainer was powerful. But going around and calling somebody 'undefeated' just makes one expect him to be a big fraud, which unfortunately wasn't the case.

For the longest time I thought they couldn't make somebody worse than Diantha, I was wrong.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Leon is far more interesting than Lance at least. He has way more variety in his team, even if his ace is a boring choice. Clair is a much more interesting Dragon Trainer than Lance ever was, and she's only the 8th Johto Leader.

I agree Lance is boring but that doesn't make Leon any less bad to me.

Diantha would like to have a word with you.

Diantha is boring but at least it's a passable champion specially after the anime gave her a bit more to do (even if she still felt a lesser copy of Cynthia, but at least they tried ripping off the best)

Snupiks

I saw this.
Liked its grounded, more realistic approach.

Btw, it seems they decided to have different seiyu in this from the main anime, even for the same characters.

catzeye

Writer's Block
Pretty much what @TheWanderingMist said

Wallace has literally nothing outside of his role as the watcher of the Cave of Origin. Leon actually does something throughout the story. Even if I hate how Leon’s character boils down to being undefeated and terrible at directions, I honestly can’t see how Wallace is more interesting than Leon.

Only Champions I get a sense of wisdom and respect from are Steven, Cynthia, Iris, & Leon.

This, this was the only thing I disliked about Leon's character. Especially when there were brief instances in the game where they mention aspects of him such as: being the one to raise Hop, being hard to read (by Opal of all people), his "champion" persona and battle tower persona being very different and being happier as the battle tower head than champion. Like there was a lot they could have done with those bits of information that would have fleshed his character out more...but they chose to stick talking about him being undefeated and getting lost. That would have been one hell of a main story arc if they focused on how being champion wasn't all that cracked up to be especially in relation to Hop wanting to be just like Leon (and getting depressed over not living up to his battle prowess).

To be fair, considering how cutthroat the Galar league seems to be implied to be, I can understand a bit why they harped on him being undefeated (but they could've toned it down a bit). With the exception of the player character of course, being able to get through virtually your entire career as a trainer and not be defeated is likely a rarity.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
This, this was the only thing I disliked about Leon's character. Especially when there were brief instances in the game where they mention aspects of him such as: being the one to raise Hop, being hard to read (by Opal of all people), his "champion" persona and battle tower persona being very different and being happier as the battle tower head than champion. Like there was a lot they could have done with those bits of information that would have fleshed his character out more...but they chose to stick talking about him being undefeated and getting lost. That would have been one hell of a main story arc if they focused on how being champion wasn't all that cracked up to be especially in relation to Hop wanting to be just like Leon (and getting depressed over not living up to his battle prowess).

To be fair, considering how cutthroat the Galar league seems to be implied to be, I can understand a bit why they harped on him being undefeated (but they could've toned it down a bit). With the exception of the player character of course, being able to get through virtually your entire career as a trainer and not be defeated is likely a rarity.

Plus Leon was 10 too when he started and became champion :)

Jangobadass

Surprise!
For those that care:
Leon is voiced by Takahiro Sakurai
Hop is voiced by Yuko Sanpei
Sonia is voiced by Lynn
Milo is voiced by Tarusuke Shingaki
Nessa is voiced by Sora Amamiya
Bea is voiced by Eri Kitamura
Allister is voiced by Ryo Hirohashi

I'm just glad there's confirmation they're fully appearing. Because it looks like it'll be a good, long while before they appear on the TV Show.

I'm really curious about who debuts here before their TV counterpart. If their TV counterparts get to appear at all...
I hope I'm wrong, but I have an uncomfortable, creepy feeling that several Gen 8 characters will be sent to the Not Animated Gulag. Arceus knows the folks from the expansion pass are in trouble...

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I'm just glad there's confirmation they're fully appearing. Because it looks like it'll be a good, long while before they appear on the TV Show.

I'm really curious about who debuts here before their TV counterpart. If their TV counterparts get to appear at all...
I hope I'm wrong, but I have an uncomfortable, creepy feeling that several Gen 8 characters will be sent to the Not Animated Gulag. Arceus knows the folks from the expansion pass are in trouble...

Hopefully Melony isn't sent there.
The two apprentice rivals to Mustard might be, Mustard though however might get in. Due to his backstory

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
We must praise this animation studio all the way to kingdom come so they become mainstays in animated Pokemon culture.

Good animation requires time AND, most important of all, money. Pokémon may be popular - to the point it even is allowed to have more frames per episode than other shows - but the producers main goal is for it to make as much money as possible without increasing costs.

So, while a show like Twilight Wings is allowed better animation we have to remember it's still monthy shorts while the main anime is a weekly half-hour feature.

Hard to compare those two.

Egakor

In the next 7 months, it would be amusing to see many people comparing Twilight Wings to the main anime without realizing that Twilight Wings is a monthly short anime while the main anime is a weekly one. Not to mention OLM (the main anime's studio) also does other children animes at the same time.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Good animation requires time AND, most important of all, money. Pokémon may be popular - to the point it even is allowed to have more frames per episode than other shows - but the producers main goal is for it to make as much money as possible without increasing costs.

So, while a show like Twilight Wings is allowed better animation we have to remember it's still monthy shorts while the main anime is a weekly half-hour feature.

Budget would save too much on needless filler if there was a proper anime that didn't beat around the bush. Way too many anime adaptations only go for 24 or so episodes every year, and said episodes usually are prettier-looking and don't take their sweet time wasting time making more episodes (just watch Toonami for many examples). Poor Oda (One Piece) and Kishimoto (Naruto) had their animated works marred by the weekly anime approach which inserted a lot of unnecessary filler as to give the manga creators time to catch up and provide content to make episodes out of. (Though Oda has an easier time than Kishimoto because his characters are so full of life even if they're dealing with non-canon situations, and as such One Piece filler is entertaining...unlike Naruto fillers, which tend to last a very long while and happened very frequently.) In the case of Pokemon, though, a 24-episode series could easily be made because they'd just be adapting material from the base game.

The problem is the studio behind Twilight Wings, while veeeeery experienced in Sugimori art style, is not that big of a studio to warrant a 24-episode series. That, or TPCI cannot wrestle funds away from the Pokemon anime, or they don't have enough resources anyway.

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto

The quality here has more to do with Yamashita Shingo being the series director and his influence in the overall look of the series and selection of staff will do a lot of wonders for the series.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
You know the sad part about this?

Even though she can’t directly control water herself, only training creatures that can...Nessa is still a more useful aquamancer than Aqua.
Have...have you ever actually seen Birth by Sleep or Kingdom Hearts III?

In the next 7 months, it would be amusing to see many people comparing Twilight Wings to the main anime without realizing that Twilight Wings is a monthly short anime while the main anime is a weekly one. Not to mention OLM (the main anime's studio) also does other children animes at the same time.
Just goes to show that seasonal anime > weekly anime because there's more time to polish the writing and animation

I'll take Generations, Origins, and Twilight Wings over the main series any day of the week

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Ok, I just saw episode 2 & I have to say this is my favorite one yet.

Not only is my favorite Galar gym leader the main focus, but it has gorgeous backgrounds, strong character designs, and fluent animation in almost every moment. I honestly forgot I was watching an anime several times & thought this was something from Disney or Warner Bros. (or at least something form Studio Ghibli)!!

It’s stuff like this that makes me wish Twilight Wings was 30 minutes, but the fact that they can pull off stuff like this in 6-7 minutes is still amazing