• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon type/appearance dissonance.

Rey Alejandro

GOKAI CHANGE!
Rotom- Flying/Electric. Y U have Levitate?
Rotom's Electric/Ghost. Unless it's in its Flying form, but every other form is not Electric/Flying.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
Well, some of those were probably said before, but I'll just scroll through the Pokédex to find the ones that don't connect that well. (Yes, I'm that bored)

Charizard's not a Dragon;
Beedrill not being Flying as Buttefree;
Clefairy and Jigglypuff not being Psychic;
Psy and Golduck not being Psychic;
Arcanine looking like a Legendary part-ground Poké;
Poliwhirl not being Fighting type (but then again, it was probably one of the reasons that made me like him so much);
Hypno not being Dark-typed;
Voltorb and Electrode not being PokéBalls and part Steel;
Kanghaskan not being a Ground type;
Seadra not being a Water-Poison pokémon as Tentacruel;
Scyther not being Bug-Grass;
Jynx not being Dark-Psychic;
Electabuzz-vire Magmar-mortar not being Fighting types;
Gyarados doesn't have the same typing has Kingdra;
Lapras not being Water-Rock;
Aerodactyl not being Dragon-Rock;
Dragonite ... Nevermind...
Mew not being God-type;
Toto-Feraligatr not being Dark-types;
Hoot-Noctowl not being partially Dark;
Bellossom not being partially Fire;
Sudowoodo (Wood) not being Rock-Grassly;
Politoed not being Water-Grass;
Yanma and Yanmega not being partially Dragon-types (Dragonflies);
Wobbuffet not being Psy-Dark;
(same with Girafarig)
Dunsparce, not being an awesome Tsuchinoko Poison-Flying Poké;
Tedd-Ursaring not being Psychic types;
Delibird not only a pure Ice type;
Stantler looking like a Psy-mon;
Lugia not being Water-Psy;
Sceptile not being partially Fighting;
Ralts-Voir not being part Grass;
Masquerain not being Bug-Water;
Slak-King not being Fighting;
Whis-Xploud not being Ground - Psy types;
Azurill not being Water type;
Mawile not being Dark;
Altaria not being Normal-Flying;
Zangoose not having better Stats;
Solrock not being a Fire type;
Whiscash not being in Wario and not being an electric poké;
Cradily not being Dragon-Grass;
Luvdisc not being Water-psy;
Salamence not being just Dragon;
Metagross not being Steel-Ice or Steel-Fighting;
Registeel not being part Ghost or Dark;
Groudon not being Fire;
Jirachi being Steel;
Deoxis not being Psy-Steel;

Well, when I have the patience I'll do post Gen III.

that is quite some special combinations there :/
Misdreavus could be Ghost/Psychic

Rey Alejandro

GOKAI CHANGE!
Arcanine looking like a Legendary part-ground Poké; 1: Legendary is his species, so... what? 2: What about him looks ground?
Hypno not being Dark-typedNo Dark in Gen. I;
Voltorb and Electrode not being PokéBalls and part Steel...what do poke balls have to do with type? Also, no Steel in Gen I.;
Aerodactyl not being Dragon-RockWhy would he be a Dragon? Are Pterodactyls dragons?;
Sudowoodo (Wood) not being Rock-GrasslyHe was intended to be misleading, so he makes sense;
Ralts-Voir not being part GrassWhat about this line looks grass? The color green does not a Grass type make.;
Whis-Xploud not being Ground - Psy typesGround I can understand, but Psychic? I'm starting to think that this is starting to become purely color based.;
Zangoose not having better Stats.....TYPE?;
Cradily not being Dragon-GrassSo Sea Anemone fossils are Dragons now too, huh?;
Metagross not being Steel-Ice or Steel-FightingI can understand Fighting, but Ice? Where do you see Ice?;
Registeel not being part Ghost or DarkWhere do you see Ghost or Dark in this guy? Also, it would have broken the trio.;

Comments in bold.

Zappy!

Fly Birdy, Fly!
Girafarig not being Psychic and Dark as opposed to Pyschic and normal is something that bugs me.

I also would've liked Masquerine to keep his water typing when he evolves from Surskit. Dustox can fly, but his Poison/Bug. Why can't Masquerine be Water/Bug?

Maybe with Maractus, it could've been Grass/Poison?

redcharzard

Semi-competitive
Comments in bold.

Magnemite gained the steel type in gold, silver, and crystal. Sudowoodo was ment to be misleading but some people still don't understand its name so give them a break. Sudo is derived from Psuedo meaning fake/false(The P is silent), and woodo is derived from wood(duh) so sudowoodo rougthly translates to Fakewood or Falsewood. I guess gamefreak thought people would use fire or flying attacks on it and fail(because rock resist both of those types).

Gelatino95

Not a tool
Girafarig not being Psychic and Dark as opposed to Pyschic and normal is something that bugs me.

Colors don't dictate typing, you know. There's really nothing "evil" about Girafarig that would constitute a dark-typing, so I still think Normal fits well.

I also would've liked Masquerine to keep his water typing when he evolves from Surskit. Dustox can fly, but his Poison/Bug. Why can't Masquerine be Water/Bug?

I personally would've liked Masquerain being part water, but there's really nothing in its design or basis that dictates a water typing. One of the reasons that Dustox isn't part flying is that it's a parallel to Beautifly, except it's poisonous, and the poison stood out more in the concept than the flying part did, so it became the secondary type. They didn't want to make Dustox and Beautifly too similar.

Maybe with Maractus, it could've been Grass/Poison?

Cacti aren't poisonous at all in nature, as far as I can tell. There's really no reason to make it poison. The basis for Maractus's design is a cactus and a maraca, so there's no room for poison in there.

Sudowoodo was ment to be misleading but some people still don't understand its name so give them a break. Sudo is derived from Psuedo meaning fake/false(The P is silent), and woodo is derived from wood(duh) so sudowoodo rougthly translates to Fakewood or Falsewood. I guess gamefreak thought people would use fire or flying attacks on it and fail(because rock resist both of those types).

The whole point of Sudowoodo is that it looks like a grass-type, but isn't. Making it a grass-type gets rid of its purpose, regardless of who understands what the name means. It's supposed to trick people. If someone clever like you understands the name, then you get an advantage.

Last edited:

Ocarus

Nothing
You're taking it too seriously Rey

Arcanine - His stance, his imponence.
Hypno and Vol-Ele - Oh, I guess someone already explained the type add thing, and this is my opinion, only.
Volt-Electrode ... Did I say that they had anything to do with type, the steel part, well, you got it?
Aerodactyl - No, but Dragons are the closest things to dinosaurs, because, just maybe, they're reptiles, and then again, why's Haxorus a Dragon?
Sudowoodo - Yes, I do know that, but I'd prefer him as Grass.
Ralts-Voir - Now I didn't know that, I expect every green pokémon to be grass-like (sarcasm), I'd just prefer him as that, sir
Whis - No, it is not, it's based on his aspect and his attack patterns
Zangoose - That was what I call a joke
Cradily - In my opinion, it looks like a "dragonesque" creature, a lumpy one though
Metagross - Well, he's blue *shivers*
Registeel - Don't you want to spout more obvious things? His appearance is sinister, so let's make it again, every Regi should be Ghost or Dark Typed *cough*

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
I think I may be one of the few who actually understand how Lugia fits Psychic/Flying better than Water/Flying.

SasakiThePikachu

like pepsi cola
I took one look at the Tynamo line and was convinced it was a water type. I still find it stupid that it isn't. It's based on a friggin' eel!!

Calamity™

aka Lamia
I think Masquerain should have been water/bug. It's type change didn't make much sense to me.

I also think Stunfisk and Tynamo could possible have been Water types. Saying that, we have enough Water types as it is anyway.

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
Haven't looked through the whole thread but it's likely to have been mentioned a billion times about Doduo's Normal/Flying typing.

And a lot of these are likely to have been mentioned too:

Psyduck not being part Psychic? Herp.
Porygon and its evolutions not being at least part Electric. It's anything but Normal!
Sudowoodo not being part Grass, I understand it's the point of its character but the appearance would suggest it.
Gligar not having Poison as one of its types.
Cascoon not being Bug/Poison...not really a big one.
Azurill being Normal type?
Volbeat/Illumise not being Bug/Flying, that always threw me.
Lunatone not being part Dark and Solrock not being part Fire.
Drapion becoming Poison/Dark.
Shelmet not being Bug/Steel, though to be fair it would then have to lose its type upon evolution which just doesn't happen.
Golett not being Steel/Ghost.

The major ones that come to my head. I list most of these because in previous instances I've attacked them thinking they were a different type when they weren't.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Agreed on Psyduck's line - confused me a bit as a kid that it wasn't part Psychic type.

The Luxray line not being Dark type, given its looks and moveset of Bite/Crunch as well also surprised me.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
Haven't looked through the whole thread but it's likely to have been mentioned a billion times about Doduo's Normal/Flying typing.

Well, it's normal, and it's a bird. Its typing seems perfectly logical to me.

Sudowoodo not being part Grass, I understand it's the point of its character but the appearance would suggest it.

The entire point of Sudowoodo is that it looks like a tree, but isn't. If Sudowoodo were part grass-type, that would completely contradict its purpose and it wouldn't be the unique, quirky pokemon it is today.

Lunatone not being part Dark and Solrock not being part Fire.

First of all, why Dark for Lunatone? Ice would make more sense. Anyway, they're really just floating rocks that levitate using psychic energy, and there aren't really any other components of its physical form that would indicate otherwise.

Shelmet not being Bug/Steel, though to be fair it would then have to lose its type upon evolution which just doesn't happen.

Wait, what?

Golett not being Steel/Ghost.

I believe it's made of clay or stone.

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
I'm not saying I would prefer they changed the types to my suggestions.

I'm saying that those are the types that I believed them to be originally.

Doduo still bugs me though. Being a Bird doesn't mean it has to be a Flying type, nor should it learn Fly.