• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon Recent Happenings Thread

TornadoAdvisory

The Imminent Storm
Well, I decided to dig up my copy of Ultra Moon that I never touched because I had what I thought was a fun idea for a team: A "Boxwarmers team"

This was my mindset: "What if I transferred a whole team of weak, unevolved Pokémon from my old Diamond game all the way to the Gen VII games?" Indeed, that's what I did. The crazy thing is, these Pokémon are 11-12 years old. Now, I know some people are probably thinking: "Why go through all the trouble of transferring Pokémon that far just to make a new team?". Truth is, I think it's fun giving a select few mons that have been sitting in your PC for more than a decade a chance to actually get used on a team. I won't bore you with any other details so I'll just skip straight to where that team is at right now.

Currently, I'm at route 5 about to take on Lana's trial. Now, the team obviously has a couple glaring holes, but I'm willing to live with that; It's done pretty well so far all things considered. Current team, and what they were before being transferred:

Prinplup (Pingu) Lv.21 (Was a lv.1 Piplup hatched Oct.13, 2008)
Grovyle (Treefiend) Lv.21 (Was a Lv.1 Treecko hatched Jan.19, 2008)
Combusken (Nugget) Lv.21 (Was a Lv.1 Torchic hatched Jan.20, 2008)
Alakazam (Spoonwoman) Lv.23 (Was an Lv.20 Abra caught on Jan.2, 2009)
Glaceon (Sandy) Lv.22 (Was a Lv.18 Eevee caught on Jan.4, 2009)

I also have a Lv.30 Shelgon (Which came from my old Emerald game) that I'll add to the team later, probably once I get past Akala Island. Got to say that this has certainly made for a fun playthrough so far.

Last edited:
Finally found the Ultra Ruins again to try to soft reset for a shiny Guzzlord. I couldn't find an aura white wormhole for ages, so I adapted my strategy to "just fly into any white wormhole and hope for that 1%". It paid off.

Guzzlord is the last static encounter I can shiny hunt in my Ultra Sun. Then I'll force myself to complete my Ultra Moon, since I got pretty tired of it after going through Alola 3 times in a relatively short time. But I want those version exclusive legendaries and ultra beasts shiny and feel like soft resetting is more reliable than doing Dynamax Adventures in gen 8.

Drummerdude

I was able to get a new copy of Ultra Moon cheap so I began a new file. After some back and forth between Rowlet and Litten I decided to go with Rowlet. Once I saved Nebby from the Spearow I quickly caught a Grubbin as my second team member because I feel like I didn't get the Vikavolt experience when I originally played Moon four years ago with it not evolving until the end of the game. Together my little owl and larva headed to Iki Town and defeated Hau in the ceremony for Tapu Koko. I kinda hurried all the inane dialogue and completed the first trial as quickly as I could. Once Grubbin beat the oversized Raticate I hurried along Route 3 to Melemele Meadow and captured my third team member, an Oricorio! I returned to Route 3 to train up Oricorio before saving Nebby again from a scary cave and the Ultra Recon Squad.

Hau showed up too late to do anything but he seemed to take his defeat in battle well. I continued along Route 3 until I returned to Iki Town to battle Hala. Rowlet managed to barely bring down his Machop with Peck, Grubbin Spark'd his Mankey into the ground and Oricorio's Air Cutter was too much for Crabrawler. With my first Grand Trial completed I did a loop around the island with Tauros and had some fun in the mall before heading over to Mantine Surf to the next island.

722.png
Lv16
736.png
Lv16
741-p.png
Lv16

Nodqfan

After getting Ultra Moon version for Christmas to complete my set of the Ultra games I went with Litten as my starter after using Rowlet for Ultra Sun and I'm still trying to decide what other mons to have to cover its weaknesses.

Drummerdude

Once I arrived in Heahea City I met the Kahuna and explored a bit before a difficult battle against Sina and her stupid Glaceon. Fortunately Grubbin isn't weak against Ice and barely won the battle with Bug Bite. I ran along Route 4 and arrived in Paniola Town where Hau was unsuccessful in having an interesting battle once again. I continued north to the Paniola Ranch and picked up the Eevee egg for no real reason. Heading even further north onto Route 5 I met Gladion whose Zorua tricks didn't work on me this time. His Type: Null was pretty sturdy but my newly evolved Charjabug took it down with Spark. Once I defeated all the trainers on the Route including the Trail Guide (Who decided not to use his Z Move for some reason) I headed into my second trial...

...and mopped the floor against the Totem Araquanid! Considering Dartrix, Charjabug and Oricorio are all super effective against it I was not worried in the slightest. I grabbed the Waterium Z and scared off some Sudowoodo with it before battling the Ultra Recon Squad and a cute Poipole. Next stop was the Royal Avenue and after a quick battle with Team Skull as well as an interesting encounter with the Masked Royal I was on my way to the third trial.

So I completely forgot that it isn't Salazzle in these games. It's Alolan Marowak. And it beat me badly. Twice. Probably shouldn't have changed Oricorio into a Psychic type........oh how the turn tables after the last trial. I over-leveled my team and decided to try again with a new strategy. Since Alolan Marowak always used Detect on the first turn I decided to use an X Sp.Atk on Oricorio before utilizing the Flyinium Z crystal with Air Cutter which could brought Alolan Marowak to the red which is what I get for being too lazy to catch a second Oricorio since mine is Adamant. Air Cutter did knock it out on the next turn but Salazzle was too much for Oricorio so Dartrix had to come in and finish off the battle. Really glad that's over.

723.png
Lv25
737.png
Lv25
741-pau.png
Lv25

nel3

Crimson Dragon
there isnt much progress on my part its a pretty much complete game but nothing really special apart from a full dex and some past shiny hunts. im just killing a bit of time maxing out all the berries in UM. i got 21 varieties left, 8 of them being the 72hr growth time. for all the flak i give gen7, it makes growing berries very easy. watering, weeding and battling pests in gen6 was bothersome and more time consuming...

Drummerdude

These Totem battles are brutal. I assumed Totem Lurantis would be easier considering my team are all strong against it and I still lost the first battle. I ended up trading for the Arbok in the Pokemon Center and its Intimidate helped me win my second battle along with a lucky critical hit from Dartrix's Pluck. I put the new Z Crystal on Dartrix and headed through Diglett's Tunnel to take on the Grand Trial but not before stopping a bunch of Ditto imposters.

I figured Olivia would be difficult but overall wasn't too much of an issue. Arbok's Glare paralyzed Anorith which let Oricorio come in and win the battle. Oricorio also did well against Lileep but was knocked out so Dartrix came in and finished it off. Arbok returned to lower Lycanroc's Attack and was beaten by Lycanroc's Z Move. Dartrix came in and used Bloom Doom to win the battle. With the second Grand Trial done I headed to the resort to relax before being whisked away to the Aether Foundation where Hau and I had a run in with a mysterious jellyfish that eventually ran away.

Next stop is Ula'Ula island where Hau and I had a battle...and he won. I swear this game is way harder than I remember. The story continues regardless of the outcome so we went to visit the Professor in Malie Gardens before I was off to the fifth trial but not before heading to Route 11 to catch for my fourth team member Komala! I trained Komala up against the trainers on Route 10 before taking the bus to the Hokulani Observatory. After rounding up the Charjabug's I took on the fifth trial...Totem Togedemaru!

I'm not going to mention how many times I lost to this little ball of hax. Zing Zap and Iron Head caused me to flinch about 98% of the time. GameFreak really went above and beyond with the Electric trial after Totem Vikavolt in Sun and Moon. I ended up evolving Dartrix and leveling up more than I wanted to and tried again. I had to use the Arbok again to lower its Attack before getting knocked out. Next I just threw everything I had at it until only Decidueye remained against Togedemaru and Skarmory. Because of Torment I basically alternated between some combination of Razor Leaf, Spirit Shackle and a healing item. Honestly this part of the battle lasted almost 10 minutes. Eventually Totem Togedemaru fell and Skarmory was fainted on the next turn. This game I can't even.

724.png
Lv35
737.png
Lv29
741-pau.png
Lv34
775.png
Lv34

I'm leaving Chargabug lower so I can evolve it at Level 30 and then it will learn Bug Buzz at Level 31. So close!

Drummerdude

On my way to the sixth trial I fished up my fifth team member, a Bruxish! Totem Mimikyu ended up being the easiest totem fight surprisingly. After traveling to Po Town to save a Yungoos I tried taking on the Grand Trial and lost over and over and over. I trained up my team and while training I encountered a Shiny Slowpoke! Too bad I already have a Water/Psychic on my team otherwise I absolutely would have used it. I did eventually beat Nanu and did some stuff at the Aether Foundation before heading to my final island.

Once I was done with the story nonsense I hurried through the Poni Canyon and defeated Totem Kommo-o before defeating Necrozma who had fused with Nebby. I gave chase to Necrozma and defeated it's new form surprisingly easily this time. After winning I was given my final team member, a Poipole! I trained the little guy a bit and went to take on the last trial of the game which Poipole and Oricorio and no issues with. I then made my way through this games version of Victory Road and arrived at the Pokemon League where I evolved Poipole into Naganadel! Once everyone was at Lvl 55 I entered the Pokemon League. Truthfully I did this last weekend and don't remember how every fight went which leads me to believe that it wasn't too difficult. Apart from Hau that is but that had more to do with my reluctance to use healing items during the battle which meant I was left with only Decidueye in the end. Now I am Alola's first ever Champion.

724.png
Lv57
738.png
Lv55
741.png
Lv56
775.png
Lv56
779.png
Lv56
804.png
Lv56

Few things. First of all this play through has really made me appreciate the Alola games a lot more as they were always one of the weaker entries in the series to me. I think the fact that I struggled through a lot of the fights made the whole experience more rewarding. Secondly Bruxish is a beast and carried me through the last third of the game and I did not see that coming.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Found a odd problem in Ultra Sun. The Morimoto double battle inside the Gamefreak Studio doesn't want to work after the first fight i has last Thursday this week.
Does the last time the player fought him get messed up if the player has been changing internal dates on the system (only did a few times to get certain Island Scan days faster) I have fixed it to the current date.

Is there anything to rectify this such as battling the Elite 4 again?

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Found a odd problem in Ultra Sun. The Morimoto double battle inside the Gamefreak Studio doesn't want to work after the first fight i has last Thursday this week.
Does the last time the player fought him get messed up if the player has been changing internal dates on the system (only did a few times to get certain Island Scan days faster) I have fixed it to the current date.

Is there anything to rectify this such as battling the Elite 4 again?
Save your game and then wait a couple of days without messing with the clock. Changing the 3DS clock locks you out of all dailies for a couple of days, and it starts counting those days only after you first save the game after changing the clock.

Pokefan_1987

Found another odd thing why is ultra sun one of the only games where it asks for additional fee at 500 per pokemon you are taking back this really cuts a 2000$ dent in your funds overall if you are low on cash. (counting for the first 500 each for when you first leave them)

Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
That's all of the Alola games? Not just Ultra sun. And daycare has always cost money since the very beginning. And seriously, 500 is nothing given how super easy it is to make money in Alola games. Just take Tauros to Poni Island and move on the east coast breaking rocks while hatching eggs, the coast beyond Poni Plains on route to the Battle Tree, you'll get so much Stardust, Star Pieces, and Comet Shards it more than makes up for any breeding costs. Like hundredfold at least. I literally have so much money in my Ultra Sun I'm constantly maxing out on it and don't have anything to spend it on, already having bought all the clothes in the stores and maxed out on all buyable Poké Ball types and most stuff like Hyper Potions and Max Potions. I still have quite a storage of Nuggets and Pearls and Comet Shards and stuff in my bag simply because I would just be giving them away for free if I sold them at the store. A single Comet Shard sells for 30.000 pokémon money, enough to retrieve 60 different pokémon from the daycare, and they're not even that rare.

Last edited:

Pokefan_1987

Got a Shiny Drampa in a GTS trade for a Gengar last wednesday this week. After registering Drampa in my pokedex it into the GTS and got what i one of the most rare pokemon needed for the pokedex... Lunala. Even if you evolve the Cosmog (Reverse World Cosmog Ultra Sun you just get a spare solgaleo)

I'm sure its not suspicious since it only has the Alolan Champion ribbon. If anyone wants to test it here are the stat.

Lunala lvl 100
Nature: Quiet
HP 415
ATTACK 308
DEFENSE 236
SP ATTACK 371
SP DEFENSE 261
SPEED 224

Last edited:

Pokefan_1987

Had quite a tough battle with Tapu Fini. Before going into details i never thought Aqua Ring can last infinite turns and i'll explain in a bit.

First i sent out Tapu Koko so i could use Thunder Wave on her. Then Tapu Bulu was bulu with Leftovers was sent in. Tapu Fini used a lot of Nature's Madness and her other moves but i toughed it out with Full Restores since False Swipe didn't shave a lot of health like i hoped. She even used up her Hydro Pumps and Muddy Water but Bulu just blew it all off like a joke.

The main struggle was Ultra Balls (No rotom catch boost, would have helped a lot probably) against this stubborn Sea Witch who got stuck in a loop of... me draining her with false swipe, her trying to set up new had aqua rings but they kept failing, and she broke 40 ultra balls despite paralysis.

Now here is where the infinite turns effect for Aqua Ring actually saved me. Becuase when i caught her, i checked her moves and all she had left were 5/20 PP for Aqua Ring. If that move didn't have unlimited ammount of turns then she would very likely used Struggle and fainted. I heard she is being tough healing spammer.

But i managed avoided resetting the fight, i was in the middle of a lengthy walk from a store on foot. (Single Mountain Dew 0.5 liter bottle)

Last edited:

zolios

Decided to make my Ultra Sun save the new main save/hub of Gen 7 instead of Sun. Transferred a lot of cool Pokemon from Sun and also decided to try and beat the Battle Tree of US since I only did it in Sun a long time ago, just beat battle number 30 in Super Singles so it's going good for now.

I also transferred a bunch of old teams to this US save as well and it is super cool for me to see all of these old playthrough teams together in one place. I still have a few other old teams that I didn't want to transfer up right now but I plan on doing it in the future, I also left the OG Sun and Moon teams in their respective games and I'm not sure when I'll trade them over to US.

N5RNN8X.jpeg

bRrQTgm.jpeg

fXmuIJJ.jpeg

odmFV8h.jpeg

Last edited:

Drummerdude

I started a new game on Ultra Sun since I enjoyed my last play through of Ultra Moon. Same general rule as last time....no Exp Share. I'm ready to be hurt.

I picked Litten as my starter as it is my favorite of the three and also caught my second team member, a Yungoos. Curse my wanting to use new Pokemon in new games which pretty much means I have to use a Normal type. We beat Hau in the ceremony and had to go to school where I beat up a few trainers pretty easily apart from one girl with a Bonsly. After beating four trainers I was tasked with beating a teacher who used a Popplio...and she won. I trained my team of two a bit and tried again and barely pulled out a win.

Now that I'm a real trainer I headed into Hau'oli City and dealt with the Team Skull and immediately fighting Trial Captain Ilima...and he won. That Smeargle is always a pain! I leveled up and tried again and didn't have any issues the second fight. I proceeded north onto Route 3 dealing with Team Skull again before arriving at the first trial site which was pretty tame. Yungoos Leer'd the opposing Gumshoos so Litten could come in and win with Fire Fang. I gave Yungoos the Normalium Z crystal and rushed through Route 3 to Melemele Meadow where I caught my third team member, a Flabebe. I trained my new fairy on Route 3 before almost losing to the Ultra Recon Squad and that obnoxious Furfrou. With that distraction out of the way it was time to take part in my Grand Trial against Hala...

...which he won. I really thought Flabebe would tank the Fighting attacks better than she did. I got Flabebe up to Lv16 and tried again with a more successful outcome. I ran through Melemele Island with Tauros to find new items/areas and then headed to the beach to try my hand at Mantine Surf.

726.png
Lv18
734.png
Lv17
669-o.png
Lv17

White out count: 3

Vindicated30.6

Ace and Aspie, for life and light!
I lost my save files on the games i bought digitally when my old system died, so I started new ones on Y and Ultra Sun recently. I went with Popplio on Ultra Sun, which is a first since I don't like having two of the same type on my team and I had Mimikyu on my previous teams. Definitely going with a Bewear on my team again, since that thing hits like a truck. Probably Alolan Golem, Marowak and Exeggutor, and maybe a Togedemaru. Not sure. I just met Tapu Koko, so that may change.

Drummerdude

After getting a high score in Mantine Surfing and learning a new trick I arrived in Heahea City and ran around a bit before scurrying to Route 4 to capture my fourth team member, a Mudbray! I struggled coming up with my last member and I remembered struggling against a later Trial in my Ultra Moon game so I decided a ground type was a must. I began the slow grind training her up on along Route 4 before having a good ol' fashion showdown in Paniola Town against Hau. I learned how to ride Stoutland, met an edgy kid on Route 5 and headed into Brooklet Hill for my second trial. Since no one on my team is great against Water I was a little concerned but I did have a strategy. A Magnemite I caught in Hau'oli City got off a Thunder Wave against Araquanid thanks to Sturdy and once it fainted I went to Mudbray to lower the spider's accuracy with Mud Slap. Fortunately, Araquanid called in a Dewpider to help it out which wasn't too imtimidating. From that point I just threw my whole party at Araquanid. Since my team is still fairly weak they all fainted apart from Gumshoos who defeated the Totem Pokemon! Huzzah! And then Dewpider got a critical hit Bubble....which left Gumshoos with 4HP! So close to whiting out but one more Bite later and victory was mine!

Lana gave me a Fishing Rod and offered to escort me to the Pokemon Center which I refused because I needed to fish up my fifth team member. It took a few tries but I successfully caught a Wishiwashi! I ran back through a few different areas and beat up the Ultra Recon Squad again and arrived at the Royal Avenue. Mudbray got to participate and somehow wasn't the Pokemon who fainted. Next up was the Fire Trial so I trained my team to Level 22 and took part in my next trial. Wishiwashi took care of the few battle leading up to the Totem Marowak rather easily. I decided to end the Totem battle and used my first Z move of the run! But Marowak used Detect. I'm almost certain I did the same stupid thing with Oricorio in Ultra Moon! Ugh! Wishiwashi's Brine did most of the work against Marowak but the combination of Marowak and Salazzle was too much for Wishiwashi. A single Bulldoze from Mudbray was enough to defeat both opposing Pokemon however and my third trial was complete!

726.png
Lv22
735.png
Lv22
670-o.png
Lv22
749.png
Lv22
746.png
Lv22

White out count: 3

Last edited: