• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon USUM SPOILER Thread (Enter at your own risk!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the last Move Tutor, the one that teaches Liquidation, Earth Power, Drain Punch, Heat Wave, etectera - the site says "Battle Tree Tutor" but that it's "in Ula'Ula Beach". The Battle Tree is on Poni, but does that mean that I can't reach that move tutor until I beat the game? (Haven't gotten to Ula'Ula yet) Thanks!

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
Protip: If you don't like the Rotomdex but still want to take advantage of getting lots of Roto-boosts, weigh your options carefully. Once you've befriended Rotomdex enough, it will start handholding you so aggressively it easily beats out the handholding in the game's cutscenes.

Ambyssin

Winter can't come soon enough
Protip: If you don't like the Rotomdex but still want to take advantage of getting lots of Roto-boosts, weigh your options carefully. Once you've befriended Rotomdex enough, it will start handholding you so aggressively it easily beats out the handholding in the game's cutscenes.

A befriended Rotom-Dex is easily as bad as Fi was in Skyward Sword with interrupting you. Like, I just want to see the map. I've given up on the Roto Powers thing and am just letting it sit there with sad eyes.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
So the last Move Tutor, the one that teaches Liquidation, Earth Power, Drain Punch, Heat Wave, etectera - the site says "Battle Tree Tutor" but that it's "in Ula'Ula Beach". The Battle Tree is on Poni, but does that mean that I can't reach that move tutor until I beat the game? (Haven't gotten to Ula'Ula yet) Thanks!

Two are different tutors, but yes. Battle Tree is inaccessible until post-game.

Edit: Nihilist Pose is a bit amusing.

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I think some (though not all, of course, since there are still valid concerns and reasons) of these are probably trolling since so many 1 star reviews (specifically 1 star) is always a bit eyraising on a game.

It could be. But they do bring up some valid points. I think that people were expecting some more meat to these games, going off of the trailers. I can kind of understand why one of the people mentioned the idea of having the extras be dlc for the older games. It would be a nice option for anyone who doesn't want to double buy.

BCVM22

I think some (though not all, of course, since there are still valid concerns and reasons) of these are probably trolling since so many 1 star reviews (specifically 1 star) is always a bit eyraising on a game.

No idea what you mean. Reviews like...

Amazo Taro: This game has embarrassed the entire Pokemon franchise. It has only been a year since Sun and Moon were released, making a game with the same story is something I didn’t think they would do.

I even had to guess whether there were any changes before entering the (Team Rainbow Rocket) palace from the advertisements. Absolutely disappointing and bad quality.

I believe the profits from this game not only go to Game Freak but a considerable chunk goes to Nintendo too. Nintendo is responsible for this too… because Pokemon is a cash cow. (1 star out of 5 stars)

and...

Amazon Customer: This is not a new title at all! I wouldn’t call Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon a poor quality piece of work. It stands at the same level as add-on DLC that should have been made available for Sun and Moon.

The developers worked hard on Sun and Moon thus it was evident that the game was profitable. If they did something similar to Black 2 and White 2’s “several years later” setting I would have given Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon 5 stars.

Do not trick and exploit children with such copycat behavior! Or else this game wouldn’t yield a profit. (1 star out of 5 stars)

...seem completely legitimate.

"Do not trick and exploit children with such copycat behavior!"

It would be a nice option for anyone who doesn't want to double buy.

I too would love for existing games to simply be updated with chunks of new content annually, at no or lesser cost to me. But that isn't what makes money.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
I mean, they're short and pretty vitriolic, but I wouldn't call those reviews 'trolling'. If any of them were trolling, this:

Kyasarin: Thank you Nintendo. With the release of this title I have abandoned Nintendo. I thank you for everything up till today. Please continue to work hard. With that I give this 5 stars. (5 out of 5 stars)

would be a more accurate portrayal.

R_N

Honestly I think pokemon could do it, though, which has been some of the rub we've experienced for the past (long, agonizing) like 4 months
I doubt they would, as one review puts it, be as cheap as 500 yen, but they could probably with some changes (& minor exclusions since the budget would likely be different) have done this as DLC. The necrozma plotline & RR plotline as extensions of SM's post game, for example, since URS and the way aether is changed would be easy to shift around.

I'm genuinely pretty curious to if they ever change their minds about DLC moving forward, regardless of how seriously they treat amazon 1 star reviews, though in the case of "3rd versions" specifically it's up in the air when we'll next see one at all.

R_N

I mean, they're short and pretty vitriolic, but I wouldn't call those reviews 'trolling'. If any of them were trolling, this:

would be a more accurate portrayal.

I'd say that first one is partially trolling. It's sharply exaggerating the issue especially when they did show changes before the RR portion or how doing the same story [with some diferences] would absolutely be something they would do. Contrast with that big long review that broke down what they were disappointed in, even if it is from a perspective that gamefreak would probably mostly ignore (itself a different conversation).

Some of these feel very...knee-jerk reaction
If the developers do not reflect on what they have done and continue to run wildly the Pokemon brand will be endangered when more people become indifferent to it. Please reflect on this and make a good Generation 8 game.
Like my dudes it's a gen 8 game by default most of these complaints will be irelevant by nature of being in a different everything. And we won't know what the heck they want to do after that. Probably not sequels. But Remakes? 3rd version? Something else entirely?

Also to be clear I side-eye 5 star reviews too, in general. I'm sure many of them are just as exaggerated on the other side of things. Over time I actually expect 3-4 star reviews to be more prevelant, with a slant towards 3. Again, underneath the hyperbole are valid criticisms (many of which brought up even in positive official reviews) I just think 1starring and being written like they are is a bit much.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
all the third versions except BW2 didn't really make drastic changes. i don't know what people were expecting from these games tbh.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
I'd say that first one is partially trolling. It's sharply exaggerating the issue especially when they did show changes before the RR portion or how doing the same story [with some diferences] would absolutely be something they would do. Contrast with that big long review that broke down what they were disappointed in, even if it is from a perspective that gamefreak would probably mostly ignore (itself a different conversation).

Some of these feel very...knee-jerk reaction

Like my dudes it's a gen 8 game by default most of these complaints will be irelevant by nature of being in a different everything. And we won't know what the heck they want to do after that. Probably not sequels. But Remakes? 3rd version? Something else entirely?

Also to be clear I side-eye 5 star reviews too, in general. I'm sure many of them are just as exaggerated on the other side of things. Over time I actually expect 3-4 star reviews to be more prevelant, with a slant towards 3. Again, underneath the hyperbole are valid criticisms (many of which brought up even in positive official reviews) I just think 1starring and being written like they are is a bit much.

I can see where you're coming from with the first one, but looking back at other similar user reviews that come out early I'd say it comes more from an overreactionary stance (that you noted) then the person trying to be a nuisance. When user reviews are first put up like this, it's easy to tell where they stand on it as their thoughts aren't clearly laid out and they're just voicing whatever feelings come to mind, even if it's embellished as a result. A person rating five star may gush over its positives and almost act like the negatives don't exist whereas those with one star may bash the game to Hell and back without considering what things it did bring to the table. It's basically as you say, a knee-jerk reaction, and while some of the critiques they brought up are definitely valid, it's being exaggerated as a result of their emotions taking precedence over a clear outline for their thoughts.

all the third versions except BW2 didn't really make drastic changes. i don't know what people were expecting from these games tbh.

I think that's the issue, as a concept 'third versions' are pretty outdated nowadays. Other franchises have moved on from it or (such as in the case of Fire Emblem) have done it through DLC at a cheaper price, and even Pokémon itself hasn't seen one since nearly a decade and the franchise has since shown it can do more with the concept then just 'original, except updated' with games like B2W2. So everyone was hoping they'd do more to advance the concept and make it worth the double dip since times have moved on and people know more can be done to make them feel more like unique games, and with USUM's differences from the original being questionable it makes the concept show its age rather then be an improvement on its ideology.

Of course, how much you care about that aspect comes down to subjectivity, but it's not surprising that it's become such a debate among the fandom lately.

Last edited:

R_N

The general gist of it is the last time there was a traditional third version was Platinum. Which was 9 years ago. Gen 5 turned theirs into sequels while Gen 6 clearly had one planend and went against it had just remakes.
Times changed, expectations changed and grew, also it was 2 versions (for no real reason, honestly, even i agree this could have just been "Eclipse" version with a day/night selector at the start or something)

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
the whole "it's just a third version guys live with it" argument would be a lot less flat to me if the last traditional third version wasn't over nine years ago on a system that couldn't distribute digital content

we shouldn't be expecting third versions for largely minor tweaks for the same reason we don't expect Street Fighter V Turbo or Super Street Fighter V - a clear alternative exists, and it's one that makes far more sense for consumers

Erron Black

The Outlaw
the whole "it's just a third version guys live with it" argument would be a lot less flat to me if the last traditional third version wasn't over nine years ago on a system that couldn't distribute digital content

not really arguing for it nor making excuses for it, more or less stating that third versions never have made massive changes from the prequel that would really justify you purchasing it beyond collection purposes or to get Pokemon that weren't previously available in that generation w/o transfer.

so the whole outrage about it not being drastically different is kinda silly imo, you should've known what we'd likely be getting in the end.

I for sure didn't have my expectations higher than what we got in BW2

also I agree with R_N, the two versions this time was the worst decision, it would've been far better off as a single 'Eclipse' version or whatever

maybe with the Switch they'll start doing add-ons or whatever rather than third version/sequels which would honestly be much smarter bc they could keep a singular title alive for much longer

Status
Not open for further replies.