• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon VGCs; are you in?

Do you care/are you active in the Pokemon VGCs?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jstinftw!

hey trainer
Hey guys! I think VGCs is a competitive form of Pokemon, so I think this is the place. If not, then please point me in the right direction. :)

Anyways, the main purpose of this thread is to ask a question. And that question is,

Are you active in/do you care about the Pokemon VGCs?

So, there are really three answers to this question; "Yes", "No", and "WTF is 'Pokemon VGCs'???"

To help with that last question, I will post this:

I want to use my Pokemon regardless of their tiering and not encounter only Pokemon from the OU tier. That is why I am personally in love with VGC Style of battling. Everyone says that Smogon is the Unofficial "Official" Standard of battling, without realizing that there actually is an Official Standard of Battling, and that is the VGC. VGC stands for the Video Game Championships, which takes place every year in the US in specific locations. There's the Regionals, Nationals, and Worlds, but I won't go too much further into that.

So, what's it gonna be? I personally am an active Pokemon VGC player. I don't actually have access to Pokemon VGCs (I live in Japan, I'm American, I don't understand/read Japanese and I don't really know any Japanese people), but my team follows the VGC rules and I personally aim to be capable of holding my own against other VGC Teams. Also, on Pokemon Online, I am constantly dancing in the Skarmbliss VGC server.

So, what about you guys?

I find VGC battles boring. No sleep clause, and past the first three rounds everyone runs the same stuff.

~Sam~

Trader and Battler
if i lived in the states like i wish i did then i would be but im not so i cant *snif*

TrollFreak

Pit is Awesome :P
I find VGC battles boring. No sleep clause, and past the first three rounds everyone runs the same stuff.

I beg to differ, doubles takes on a whole new feeling for pokemon. it goes faster than singles, so you need to pay attention to every detail. An it usually takes more skill, as in doubles things like switching and prediction aren't as common as in singles.

Here is a tiering list done by DeagleBeagle on usable pokes for VGCs, and even more pokemon are used outside of these tier pokemon.

I think it's a great way of playing pokemon and meeting new people, but thats my opinion

floatzel98

→ s o a r i n g
i have never played a VGC match before. probably because where i live we don't have it and i just never got into it.

Zachmac

None of the above.

I wish I could, but I can't. I never get to leave town for events for myself, my parents would have to benefit from it, or clothes shopping, ect, and we never clothes shopping in Pheonix, other cities are closer.

jstinftw!

hey trainer

To each his own, I guess. Honestly, I don't see how that's much different from battling OU, as most people OU tend to have very similar teams (to my understanding. And no hate to tiering and stuff, just to be clear).

With VGCs, you're at least not limited to tiers, and you have a chance of seeing some more diverse battling, but again, to each his own.

if i lived in the states like i wish i did then i would be but im not so i cant *snif*

I feel your pain, kind sir. T_T

I beg to differ, doubles takes on a whole new feeling for pokemon. it goes faster than singles, so you need to pay attention to every detail. An it usually takes more skill, as in doubles things like switching and prediction aren't as common as in singles.

Here is a tiering list done by DeagleBeagle on usable pokes for VGCs, and even more pokemon are used outside of these tier pokemon.

I think it's a great way of playing pokemon and meeting new people, but thats my opinion

First of all, I never knew about that site. That's awesome; thanks!
Secondly, I wholeheartedly agree with you. I'm really into the whole VGC concept, and I love the fact that there are conventions where all these Pokemon players meet up. You could very easily meet up with some of your Pokemon friends at these events, and you have a chance to battle all sorts of different people. Plus, who doesn't want to go to a Pokemon place? Why do you think the Pokemon Center stores are so popular?

i have never played a VGC match before. probably because where i live we don't have it and i just never got into it.

Neither have I, but the style of battling is pretty interesting. But it's not everyone's cup of tea, so I can't say anything against you. You might want to give it a try though, just to see. Who knows? You just might like it. I personally only found out about VGCs by chance.

None of the above.

I wish I could, but I can't. I never get to leave town for events for myself, my parents would have to benefit from it, or clothes shopping, ect, and we never clothes shopping in Pheonix, other cities are closer.

Aw, that sucks. If I lived in the States, I would definitely do everything I could to get to one of these events. But I also understand the parent thing; if I lived in the States, my parents would probably be the same way. But my mom does like shopping, so she might be persuadable in the matter, but I don't really know.

PokeMaster366

You should get someone to put that link on the officiall VGC Thread.

Victory

Banned
Nope, I'm not doing it. Because I don't okay the games. If only it could somehow include PO...

complete legitimacy

pack that fudge

That's a contradictory sentence bro.

VGCs don't ban anything. You can win if you just abuse broken ****. Plus like Blue Harvest said they don't have anything like Sleep Clause that keeps you from abusing broken mechanics.

Other than that I honestly don't see a point in this thread. There's already a VGC discussion thread, and a poll could be added if somebody wanted to make that happen.

VGC...what flavor is that? Very Grape Coke?

I personally don't play VGCs because...well, I'm terrible. That, and it always seems like if the opponent isn't using TerraCott, they're using some other easily spammable strategy.

Last edited:

wildbiscuit

One Tough Cookie
I woul love to go, but I don't live in the USA.

VGCs don't ban anything. You can win if you just abuse broken ****. Plus like Blue Harvest said they don't have anything like Sleep Clause that keeps you from abusing broken mechanics.

Well, you can't expect that unofficial battle rules will apply to an official tournament, can you?

wildbiscuit

One Tough Cookie
My bad. As I said, we don't have VGC here, so I never payed a lot of attention to it. Thanks for correcting me.

Last edited:

PokeMaster366

That's a contradictory sentence bro.

VGCs don't ban anything (Except major legends like Lugia, Mew, and Deoxys). You can win if you just abuse broken ****. Plus like Blue Harvest said they don't have anything like Sleep Clause that keeps you from abusing broken mechanics.

Other than that I honestly don't see a point in this thread. There's already a VGC discussion thread, and a poll could be added if somebody wanted to make that happen.

Just because something is broken in Singles doesn't mean it's broken in Doubles. Just look at Excadrill for example. He can set up SD and sweep with EQ and Rock Slide afterwards in Singles, but in Doubles, he is walled by Wide Guard users, he can't use EQ half of the time b/c he's always worried about his partner (which is almost always Tyranitar), and spread moves are weakened in doubles.

The only thing that I can acknowledge as possibly broken in doubles is Drizzle + Swift Swim, and they have to worry about Ferrothorns, Rotom-W, other weather, Grass types in general, Storm Drain Gastrodon, and Flying or Psychic types that take care of their 1 or 2 Fighting types. Did I forget to mention Trick Room as well, since it can actually get some good (better) usage in the doubles environment?

Thundurus/Tornadus? Rock Slide is very common.

Blaziken? It is nigh impossible to set up without something happening to ruin it, as I know that you know, my friend.

Hail Blizzard Spam also, surprisingly, becomes a more viable strategy since Blizzard hits both pokemon instead of just one. H***, we all can use our favorite weather again without worrying about it getting nerfed or claimed as too UBER for competitive play by some of the ban-happy people who work at Smogon since there's such a drastic difference in the usefulness of certain pokemon between Singles and Doubles.

P.S. If you're worried about the Sleep Clause, they banned Dark Void, so you don't have to worry about Smeargle ruining the fun anymore.

complete legitimacy

pack that fudge
^You could've picked better examples. Not all forms of Deoxys are broken, and Mew is happy chilling in UU right now. Which is kind of my point.

PokeMaster366

^You could've picked better examples. Not all forms of Deoxys are broken, and Mew is happy chilling in UU right now. Which is kind of my point.

I was just saying there that all major legends like Lugia and events that can only be received through events like Arceus, Shaymin, and all forms of Deoxys are banned. Guys like Lati@s and Heatran are still Viable. I'm sure they have a link to the banlist in the VGC Thread.

TrollFreak

Pit is Awesome :P
Wait, how this turn into an argument, it's a discussion on if you're going to VGCs or not

Status
Not open for further replies.