• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon VGCs; are you in?

Do you care/are you active in the Pokemon VGCs?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggly

JigglyCorneliousPuff
I've competed in VGC two years running now; I'd actually like to echo what Blue Harvest has said; Every team is extrodinarily similar the higher up you go.

Needless to say there aren't the eccentric few who play with an unusual team hell, even myself usually run some sortof fun team. 2010 had me Running a Serene Grace Abuse Team Utilising Roserade/Togekiss/Dunsparce/Dusknoir . It worked wonders - Although I got majorly out-played and beaten by one of these generic teams.

I'll be compeitng next year, no doubt.

{UK}

Soperman

The One and Only
I have honestly never played VGC. It sounds fun though. I mostly train pokemon I like to use, not based on tiers and stuff. This could be fun.

soulsurvivor

Making progress
Saying all singles teams are the same is wrong. While yes, you can categorize most teams under a few archetypes doing so is stupid. Hyper Offense teams may have a similar idea but its possible for both to not run any of the same Pokemon. Rain / Sand / Sun teams are united by them using a weather starter (and some Rain teams that don't).. and non weather.. what is that even supposed to mean. Any team that lacks Ninetales / TTar / Politoed / Hippo / Aboma? Could be anything. Singles is as varied as you want it to be.. though admittedly most players just copy / paste standards.

Yep I know. No matter what meta you play there will always be lower players copying teams that work, and categorizing things into archtypes I believe is dumb but I'm just trying to put a easy example haha.

It just seem this thread changed from do you like vgc to Wahaha you play singles, covert to doubles. Everyone has preferences and we should each respect that which is why threads like these are made. Not to criticise ones choice. I for one know both metas are very diverse.

Madden610

Simple. If I could go I would win. Double battles feel more natural than single battles (because I started really playing pokemon in hoenn(though played for fun R/B/Y days)). The only bad thing is the isolated locations and the lack of locations. Maybe if they had one in Michigan or somewhere nearby (not Indiana (except nationals)) and other states to spread it out more people would go/ care. Also team preview is a dull addition to play.

Also people who go to VGCs don't always have honest intents for fun (why do you think they have a hack check?). People who go to VGCs play for a chance of a new version of competitiveness that isn't the same OU, Uber, or other miscelanious tier that I don't really care for.

Last edited:

sixonesix

VGC player
I've competed in VGC two years running now; I'd actually like to echo what Blue Harvest has said; Every team is extrodinarily similar the higher up you go.

Needless to say there aren't the eccentric few who play with an unusual team hell, even myself usually run some sortof fun team. 2010 had me Running a Serene Grace Abuse Team Utilising Roserade/Togekiss/Dunsparce/Dusknoir . It worked wonders - Although I got majorly out-played and beaten by one of these generic teams.

I'll be compeitng next year, no doubt.

{UK}

That's because the metagames in 2010 and 2011 were, in fact, grossly overcentralized. In 2010 most Pokemon, including and especially the ones in the team you just posted, would be bowled over by scarf Kyogre. In 2011 Terrakion 2HKOed almost every legal pokemon and could flinch the rest to death with Rock Slide.

The metagames they had in 2008 and 2009 and the one they have in 2012 aren't really like that, so be careful when you judge the current metagame by what you've seen over the past two years.

Last edited:

Madden610

That's because the metagames in 2010 and 2011 were, in fact, grossly overcentralized. In 2010 most Pokemon, including and especially the ones in the team you just posted, would be bowled over by scarf Kyogre. In 2011 Terrakion 2HKOed almost every legal pokemon and could flinch the rest to death with Rock Slide.

The metagames they had in 2008 and 2009 and the one they have in 2012 aren't really like that, so be careful when you judge the current metagame by what you've seen over the past two years.

Agreed

Terrakion and maybe Thundurus/Tornadus essentially centralized 2011. The 2011/2012 torunements going on now have a more widespread team selection. Indianas for example (though I didn't attend but read about on Smogon) had a Sandstorm team that didn't realy on the usuals (maybe Ferrothorn but one with Power Whip offense). Many seem to think it's Tyranitar/Hippowdon Vs. Ninetails Vs. Abomasnow Vs. Politoed Vs. Etc (random teams from non-competitives and some few anti "metagame" teams)

PokeMaster366

Agreed

Terrakion and maybe Thundurus/Tornadus essentially centralized 2011. The 2011/2012 torunements going on now have a more widespread team selection. Indianas for example (though I didn't attend but read about on Smogon) had a Sandstorm team that didn't realy on the usuals (maybe Ferrothorn but one with Power Whip offense). Many seem to think it's Tyranitar/Hippowdon Vs. Ninetails Vs. Abomasnow Vs. Politoed Vs. Etc (random teams from non-competitives and some few anti "metagame" teams)

Don't forget that we've also been seeing a few good Tailwind and Trick Room teams. Anyone have Tornadus, Whimsicott, Murkrow, and bulky Psychics/Ghosts in general come to mind? There have also been a few good random teams out there that have made great use of Protect, Wide Guard, Fake Out, and anything else they've found. It's no wonder they made the rules the way they are for this year and the one in Spring. Not one type of team is overcentralized at all; not even Drizzletoed + Swift Swim LOrb Kingdra.

Nitocrys

Because I'm Happy.
Don't forget that we've also been seeing a few good Tailwind and Trick Room teams. Anyone have Tornadus, Whimsicott, Murkrow, and bulky Psychics/Ghosts in general come to mind? There have also been a few good random teams out there that have made great use of Protect, Wide Guard, Fake Out, and anything else they've found. It's no wonder they made the rules the way they are for this year and the one in Spring. Not one type of team is overcentralized at all; not even Drizzletoed + Swift Swim LOrb Kingdra.
Wasn't Drizzletoad + Swift swim pokes = banned in competitive?
any way I use Ampharos and because it's actually the bulkyest electric besides Zekrom or Thunderus and people don't really expect it:);484;

PokeMaster366

Wasn't Drizzletoad + Swift swim pokes = banned in competitive?
any way I use Ampharos and because it's actually the bulkyest electric besides Zekrom or Thunderus and people don't really expect it:);484;

That only applies to Smogon's domain. In the RM and VGCs, anything goes except major legends, Sky Drop, and maybe Dark Void Smeargle.

Pokemom

TCG Gym Leader, Ret.
I had to miss Fall Regionals, but I'm already making travel plans to get the 4 hours to Spring 2012. This is my first attempt at this level and I plan to make a showing. It's OK if I don't win (though it would be seriously rocking if I do!) as long as we all have fun.

I don't have any Battle points yet (via the "room" in B/W) but once my team is finalized and fully trained it'll get tested in there. Until then I'm working out the kinks on the individual mon by using the Subway.

I just realized I have no 5th gen poke's on my team....anyone else running the classics?

Mini Spoiler: Rotom (water), Rhyperior, Dragonite, Gengar, Exeggutor, and Weavile.

Pokemom

TCG Gym Leader, Ret.
I would go if I ever had a chance. I'm sticking to random match-ups for the time being.

Everyone has a chance...might not be a good one...

soulsurvivor

Making progress

Agreed here.

Heck Im currently number1 on random match-up U.S gbu not including that cheater guy,and im using a lanturn team. Though there will be teams using poli/ludi/kingdra cores, and Ttar/Exca/Levitate. Most of those common cores don't work vs top players/experienced players but are a good start for new players. Vgc 2008-09, and 12 were probably the best metas due to versatility.

Status
Not open for further replies.