• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Virtual Console Compatibility Thread (3rd Gen, GBA/GCN games, Colosseum and XD remasters?)

Which one is your favorite Third Generation Pokemon game?

• Pokemon Ruby Version

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pokemon Sapphire Version

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pokemon FireRed Version

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Pokemon LeafGreen Version

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Pokemon Emerald Version

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Pokemon Colosseum

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
So guys this is basically talking about the Third Generation of Pokemon games making a return on the Nintendo Switch as Virtual Console re-releases. These Virtual Console re-releases would have compatibility to Pokemon Switch and would follow the recent trends of most Pokemon having there hidden abilities upon transfer.

Even if Nintendo doesn't announce Virtual Console in the future, it doesn't mean we won't get some kind of "deluxe" or "classic" edition digital release of Pokemon Ruby, Pokemon Sapphire, Pokemon FireRed, Pokemon LeafGreen, Pokemon Emerald and also Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness.

Yes! You heard me right! Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness should definitely be up for discussion too since those two spinoffs are sort of the "Kanto" of console Pokemon RPG games. In fact we should even consider the possibility of Gamefreak one day deciding to do a remastered version of Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness, similar to Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD.

Also is there any features do you guys want to see for the VC re-releases that you couldn't get in the original GBA releases. For example, in the Pokemon Crystal VC release, you could get Celebi through the GS Ball event whereas in the original release, you couldn't get the GS Ball event unless you got the Japanese version. This could apply to make Mew of Faraway Island in Pokemon Emerald be available to everyone or increase the chances of Mirage Island appearing?

Third Generation Games:
Pokemon Ruby
Pokemon Sapphire
Pokemon FireRed
Pokemon LeafGreen
Pokemon Emerald
Pokemon Colosseum
Pokemon Gale of Darkness

shoz999

We didn't get VC Stadium, so I'm not optimistic about Colosseum or Gale of Darkness.
I'm more optimistic! The difference between Stadium and Colosseum is that Stadium falls more in line of a 3D Battle Simulator whereas Colosseum falls in more line of a main series RPG where you can battle trainers and even trade Pokemon to the GBA games. So unlike Pokemon Stadium, Pokemon Colosseum and XD are not only possible but there's even a good chance we can transfer Pokemon caught in those games to Pokemon Switch with hidden abilities!

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
When and if they make a Virtual Console for the Switch I honestly want to see both Colosseum and XD on the Switch, as I would love to take them on the go (a bit hypocritical of me since I chose not to repurchase Skyrim for the Switch as I am satisfied with leaving at home, even though I do love that game).

As for a Virtual Console for Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Fire Red, and Leaf Green I can honestly I am not interested because I still own the originals of all those games and unlike the VA versions of RBY and GSC I don't feel like they would bring anything new (but then again you could say the same for Colosseum and XD), at least the Gen 1 & 2 re-releases gave you Hidden Abilities when you transferred the Pokemon over, go ahead and correct me if I am wrong.

But too be fair if they did/do create a Virtual Console for the gen 3 games there's a good chance I would get them because I have no life, and because I am addicted to the games/franchise

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
I would love to see VC versions of all the Gen3 games, especially Emerald which is still my favourite Pokémon game to this day. Would definitely welcome Colosseum and XD as well as I really enjoyed both of them too.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Presumably all of the on-cart events will be available, including Faraway Island. RS are bit more interesting since they already have on-cart events, like Southern Island.

One of the main advantages of transferring from VC games was getting the HAs, but this is impossible for RSEFRLG because they already have their dominant abilities. I suspect that like the switch to DPPt some transferred species will have their new secondary abilities instead, like Milotic getting Competitive and Clefairy getting Magic Guard, which would give some reason to make remaining pre-Gen V species have access to secondary Abilities in Gen 8.

There will likely be tie-in events as well, but I'm not expecting something huge. Gen II and III had tons of obscure events so it is impossible for them to be brought back en masse.

shoz999

Huh... now that I think about it, for those who played Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire and didn't found the post game that satisfying, Pokemon Emerald is actually somewhat of a different experience from both the remakes and the originals with the upgraded challenges, story, content, move tutors and the Battle Frontier.

Sulfurian

I hope they include XD in something, as it's not likely to return on the enivitable GameCube classic.

Sprinter1988

Pokemon Colosseum and XD Gale of Darkness should get VC releases. They offer a unique experience very different to the main series games, especially in how you obtain new pokemon and how you battle.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I'd scream for Emerald on Switch and as crazy as it is buy a Switch for it. (I mean I want one for other reasons but Emerald would be the thing that pushes me over the edge.)

But I'm expecting it on a Gameboy Classic that covers GB,GBC and GBA all in one.

Last edited:

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
One argument for Colosseum and XD Gale of Darkness getting VC releases was the fact that you couldn't obtain every pokemon in gen 3 without them. RSE/FRLG were missing a number of the Johto pokemon, including the starters, that you could only obtain by trading with Colosseum or XD. Ho-Oh and Lugia are technically available if they give us the island passes in game like they gave us the GS ball in Crystal, but there is still a list of pokemon we won't be able to get just between the five 3rd gen games.

Along with the island passes for the in-game events, I would hope they tinker with Emerald's RNG. It would be great to have versions of Ruby and Sapphire that can't have dead batteries, but that doesn't help Emerald's RNG in the same way.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Unfortunately Nintendo has confirmed that the Switch will not have a Virtual Console.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/05/the_virtual_console_isnt_coming_to_switch_nintendo_confirms

Now this doesn't preclude older games from coming in other ways, they've confirmed that you can access multiple NES titles through a subscription based system when you pay for Nintendo Switch's online and they reference other developers selling packaged re-releases, but the VC as we know it won't exist on the Switch.

Not really sure how Pokemon's going to get around no VC, they want you to buy individual versions because of trading but there really haven't been any methods mentioned that would allow you to purchase individual versions. I don't think they'll put them on the subscription system like they do the NES titles and I don't think Game Freak would sell the old games as a collection (except for maybe bundling Colosseum/XD, as those are both individual versions), but IDK any method that would support the way Game Freak wants to sell these games.

JohnLynch

Nintendo has confirmed the name "Virtual Console" won't be used on the new platform. However we do know they're porting over old games (specifically NES games at this point) and are integrating online components into those games wherever possible. I expect we'll see every old Pokemon game released over the years on this platform. And for the first time all of the games will have online trading components (Red/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal compatible with each other and the current gen of Pokemon. 3rd gen and later compatible with each other along with the current gen as well). It will tie in perfectly with their "Switch Online" platform and will get a lot of people handing over cash for it (even if they charge extra to get these games).

Status
Not open for further replies.