• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon vs Digimon

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know this had to be done ;) Pokemon and Digimon are 2 of the most popular shows from the 90's and 2 of the most popular animes that were dubbed for an American audience. Ever since these 2 shows aired, there have always been fan wars about which show is better. So this is a thread to debate on which show is better. Is it Pokemon or Digimon and why do you think this?

Dekimashda

tha shiiz?
digimon. it had more of a story to it as opposed to pokemon which became extremely repetitive. There are proper villains, not just team rocket blasting off every episode and there is more at stake when they fight. It also had more character growth and allowed characters to experience negative or painful emotions. Pokemon did have some of this but it wasn't to the same extent. You'll find Pokemon is a rather happy going show a lot of the time.

ViperQueen

RAWR!!!
Can we choose both sides...I like something in both shows (stories, characters, monsters, etc)...

Some examples-
Things i like in pokemon: Competition/gym/league
digimon: talking monsters/ digimon can maintain forms; rather than stopping once evolved/digimon dying; some reborn or deleted

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Digimon totally has the better story and characters, it's just that Pokémon is simpler for the children. Digimon has a complex storyline and complex characters most children just can't follow at times. With Pokémon, it's really just Ash traveling the regions with his two friends and Pikachu while Team Rocket follows after them as they encountered numerous one-shot characters scattered throughout, so it's much more easier to choose a character to follow. Whereas with Digimon, each character has a purpose in the story with equally deep backgrounds, and it's hard to keep track of them. I loved both shows as a kid, but I tended to prefer Pokémon over Digimon for that very reason. (Imagine if Pokémon and Digimon had aired at the same time intervals. Who would win the ratings war there?)

And of course, Pokémon has lasted longer than Digimon when it comes to popularity. As far as I know, the new Digimon season, Digimon Xros, hasn't been dubbed and it's like, what, the sixth season of Digimon's? Pokémon is on its... oh, damn, what season is Best Wishes? And it's still going strong over here. So Pokémon is always going to win out the kids in the end, but older audiences will go for Digimon. It's almost a win-win situation in a way, it's just that Pokémon will get higher ratings.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
This playground argument again? Oh well, here we go…

I'm a gamer before an animé fan thus Pokémon wins in my books. In terms of animé adaptions alone, Digimon wins by providing variety, entirely different ensembles for each season to liven things up, and most importantly; better plots. Now if we were comparing the comic adaptions…that would take some time to think out.

Janovy

Banned
My sincere opinion:

Pokémon > Digimon; games
Digimon > Pokémon; anime

And I like both Pokémon and Digimon.

Digimon anime >> Pokemon anime
Pokemon games >> Digimon games

'nuff said. The Digimon anime has a well built story, with deep characters and more serious than Pokemon. In the Pokemon anime we have Ash who travels around the world, fights trainers/gym leaders, earns badges, encounters Team Rocket (almost) every single episode and then goes to the Pokemon League. Although I like more the Pokemon fights than the Digimon fights (except few, like the Gallantmon/Dukemon vs Beelzemon and so), that's not all and Digimon wins here.

However, the Pokemon games are better, but I can't talk too much here, since I have only played Digimon World 3 a bit and Digimon Masters Online (a MMO) , which both are good, but different.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Okay, this becoming the typical very quickly. All of know that Pokemon is an incredibly sucessful game franchise while Digimon has good spin-off games but there are still the odd one that falls flat. As for their television adaptions, like I said, Digimon is superior due to obvious reasons.

Now let's make this thread interesting...unlike it's animated counterpart, comic adaptions of Pokemon have been quite successful. Digimon has also had its share of comic adaptions. Anyways, sorry to throw this thread a tad off topic but which one has the better comic adaptions?

Natsuri

I only know Pokemon Adventures and Digimon Adventure V-Tamer.

V-Tamer was entertaining, and I spent a whole night without sleeping in order to read from the first chapter to the last one. But even though it wasn't as exciting as Pokemon Adventures. Mainly because the only interesting character was Taichi, as he traveled alone with his digimon. Besides, the plot wasn't very original.
[SPOIL]Taiichi has an ancient type of digimon that nobody knows. Reminds me of Takato who created his own digimon in Digimon Tamers. And the enemy wants to destroy the digiworld to make a new one when his disabled sister will be able to walk again. Of course, when he'll understand his mistake he will become Taiichi's ally to beat the evil digimons. Very similar to Ken from Digimon 02.[/SPOIL]

In comparison Pokemon Adventures is waaaay superior.

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
They're different.

Reasons why Pokemon is better than Digimon:
~More games.
~You can have more than one monster.
~You get different coloured ones.
~It's G-Rated (lol).

Reasons why Digimon is better than Pokemon:
~Character ages.
~Almost all Digimon speak.
~Almost all Digimon Digivolves 7 times.
~Different characters each season.

In my theory, Digimon-Anime is better and Pokemon-Games are better, nya~

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
They're both bad.

Yeah, but which one's the least bad?

Reasons why Pokemon is better than Digimon:
~More games.
~You can have more than one monster.
~You get different coloured ones.
~It's G-Rated (lol).

-More games does not mean better quality. Luckily Pokemon games are usually great (I'm not talking spin-offs though)
-In terms of anime and storytelling more characters aren't necessarily a good thing.
-COLOURS!!!!!!!!!
-Rating shouldn't affect the overall quality either. There are plenty of violent movies and games with "adult content" that try too hard to be mature but can't tell a good story that a G-rated film can.

Reasons why Digimon is better than Pokemon:
~Character ages.
~Almost all Digimon speak.
~Almost all Digimon Digivolves 7 times.
~Different characters each season.

-Yes, character progression is good.
-Talking Digimon also help. The fact that each member usually gets ONE Digimon helps strengthen that idea of bonding and growing and friendship and all that jazz. In Pokemon Ash only really bonds with a few Pokemon.
-Wait what? Is this a new thing or something? I remember Digimon Digivolving about 3 or 4 times max.
-This last thing helps the show to not become stale.

In my theory, Digimon-Anime is better and Pokemon-Games are better

Take a look around. It's not so much "your theory" as it is popular opinion.

Xionea

Half a centaur
Posting this in a pokemon website... suprisingly Digimon seems to get more votes. But to me:
Digimon is better anime wise. Pokemon is better game wise. Opinions, opinions.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Yeah, but which one's the least bad?
You, get out and stay out of our playground!

Childish arguments aside, there's not much else to say here except (like I mentioned earlier) comparing the manga based off of the two franchises and possibly troubles during our childhoods where our friends tore us apart because one of the franchises was either better or a copycat.

Nonetheless, though not a mod, this conversation is getting dumb and if one of them just happens to pass by this thread, do us all a favour and put us into timeout (lock this thread, it's going nowhere and could easily be discussed in the Digimon thread since the conversation there has been dry lately).

Izanagi

'Sup!
I have just noticed this thread so I will give my two cents. As by the usertitle probably implies, however I was a Digimon first and foremost and wasn't too long until Pokemon became a part of my life. Personally, I don't have a vote because I like them both equally. However, if I had to choice at least in terms of anime. Digimon would be better than Pokemon by that is all my opinion. It easy to dismiss these two as mere 'mon shows but that both have plenty of hidden layers that you won't just noticed at first glance. And it is in those layer that I think everyone can find something to enjoy. Now none of them are perfect but no one series is supposed to be. It enjoy both even with it their imperfections.

Status
Not open for further replies.