• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon vs Digimon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Pokemon's anime had a lot of potential but we got this seemingly never ending episodic story about a typical kid who (quote the first theme song here). As for Digimon, it does everything better but once again, it fails on the fact that it relies on using typical tropes that are done much better in other series. All and all, both franchises as television programs are awful but as long as the kids eat it up (which many of us did as children and some of us still do), the respective companies make money and in the end, that's all that matters.

Um, I wouldn't really go far enough to call them "awful" truthfully. "Serviceable" would probably be the better word with maybe some of the more highly regarded series being pretty good to great.

Anyway (to be generic), Digimon had the better show, though Pokemon beats them out in games. Can't speak for the manga though since I haven't read Special.

Last edited:

Izanagi

'Sup!
I know, they look amazing...if they put that OVA quality work into a new series, it could turn out really good. On topic of Pokemon, it does have a lot of potential and some of its manga series show that. I have even seen many online manga reviewers heavily praise Special (Adventures). To boot, it does similar with Digimon for the new generations by giving us a different cast however it does bring back old characters in the later parts of a generation's chapters.

Pokemon's anime had a lot of potential but we got this seemingly never ending episodic story about a typical kid who (quote the first theme song here). As for Digimon, it does everything better but once again, it fails on the fact that it relies on using typical tropes that are done much better in other series. All and all, both franchises as television programs are awful but as long as the kids eat it up (which many of us did as children and some of us still do), the respective companies make money and in the end, that's all that matters.

Well, I won't go as far to say both programs are awful but both series has it fair share of wasted potential. While I believe that Digimon is the better of the two in terms of how their respective anime were handled, both have pretty interesting concepts but many of which are executed poorly or not at all. The rest is as ParaChomp states.

Rave

Banned
wow... people still debate about this shit?

ParaChomp

be your own guru
wow... people still debate about this shit?
I know and don't remind us that we got dragged into it.

Some mod, please lock this thread.

TotalPotato

Vegetable of Doom!
I didn't think the story in either show was anything special. The characters in Digimon were probably a bit deeper, but at the end of the day, I enjoyed Pokémon more. Mainly because some of the battles (particularly in Advance and DP) were pretty good, and I don't remember any stunning battles from Digimon. I did only see Adventure 1, 2 and a bit of Tamers on the Digimon side, though.

Last edited:

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
as long as the kids eat it up (which many of us did as children and some of us still do), the respective companies make money and in the end, thats all that matters.

Yeah but the trick with that is to not make it LOOK like its all about the money. When your main character stays 10 after 10 years but the larger story is still advancing, something has gone wrong here. This is not The Simpsons, stunts like that do not work with an adventure format. (unless they are planning some kind of time warp season finale thing. Now that would be interesting)

Some of the Digi destined matured more in a season or two than poor Ash has in more than triple the same amount of time.

Last edited:

gliscor&yanmega

You know this had to be done ;) Pokemon and Digimon are 2 of the most popular shows from the 90's and 2 of the most popular animes that were dubbed for an American audience. Ever since these 2 shows aired, there have always been fan wars about which show is better. So this is a thread to debate on which show is better. Is it Pokemon or Digimon and why do you think this?

I don't consider either "better". I enjoy both shows and that's all that really matters to me.

Taichi

I didn't think the story in either show was anything special. The characters in Digimon were probably a bit deeper, but at the end of the day, I enjoyed Pokémon more. Mainly because some of the battles (particularly in Advance and DP) were pretty good, and I don't remember any stunning battles from Digimon. I did only see Adventure 1, 2 and a bit of Tamers on the Digimon side, though.

Yeah you only saw a bit of Tamers, you definitely missed out on Beelzemon vs Gallantmon. Took like what 2-3 episodes I think. It was defnitely memorable for a digimon fan.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
No one hate me here...but I have watched some Digimon before...but something about it never really clicked with me. I didn't like how all the Digimon can talk, I prefer how in Pokemon they are kept more like actual animals. ^^; I've always enjoyed the Pokemon anime, and since Digimon never appealed to me when I have watched it, I'm going to say Pokemon. Not bashing on Digimon, it's not bad from what I've seen...it just didn't match my tastes. :)

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
No one hate me here...but I have watched some Digimon before...but something about it never really clicked with me. I didn't like how all the Digimon can talk

And yet you are fine with Meowth plus other pokémon talking, bit of a hypocrite aren't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.