• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Vs. FPS

funrush

Elite Beat Agent
If this is the wrong section, I apologize.

In the cold of the morning, I walk inside the school bus. As soon as I sit down in my regular seat, I pull out my Nintendo DS Lite. I hear a comment from behind me going, "DS? That's so gay.". I look behind me to see this wanna-be gangster kid with his hat on backwards with this puzzled look on his face. I go, "What's wrong with DS?". Another kid goes, "It's just retarded, and I can't believe you're playing Pokemon.". I say back, "Just because it's not Call of Duty doesn't mean it's gay. Nintendo's one of the freaking ancestors of gaming." Both of them continue staring at me, seeming really pissed off with what I was playing.

The point of me posting this story that just happened this morning, is that you have all of these 14 year olds ranting on about how Call of Duty is the best thing ever, and that any and everything associated with Nintendo is stupid. I personally think this war between gamers as stupid, even more so to other gamers like me, who like both. What are you guys' opinions on these situations?

Garch0mp0utrage

SemiPokemonUnMaster
blegh, those people are immature and don't really care about anything other than themselves. As for CoD, it's a fun game but way too many people just seem to "go beyond" it and think that it's "the best game ever". They just seem to look down upon every other game because that's the only game they ever play and don't know anything about Pokemon. People who hate Pokemon just really have no idea what it's like because they've just heard bad stuff about it from newbs and kids who just don't know crud.

CoD's not a bad game, and Pokemon isn't either. It's just the views that are distorted.

Moneyy

INACTIVE
I like both. The children who obsess over COD are most likely twelve year olds who think they are "hardcore" for playing a game with guns, violence, and blood in it.

Wyrm

~Setting Sail~
1. It's merely a matter of opinion and what today's kids/teens/adolescents have become. We should just ignore it if anything.

2. As far as I'm concerned, Call of Duty might be a great game that rivals Pokémon.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
Both games are good, end of story.

Yeah sure one game is a great game is only released 2-4 years. While the other is release yearly with no thought what so ever and is slowly killing the video game market.

-Xen-

It's not the games, it's society that has messed up the views of children.

Both games are good in their own right (although CoD bores me after a while.)

Twentington

Outta here!
I honestly wouldn't know, but I have no interest in EVER playing CoD currently.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
Kids think that playing games with blood and violence makes them mature. They're horribly mistaken. I find the best thing to do in these sorts of situations is to just ignore them, or even better, send them back a witty remark which their primitive brains won't be able to process easily.

pokechamp219

Scottish Octopuses:P
"What do you like to play? Mario?""No, mario's retarded.""Pokemon?""That's for little babys.""Zelda?""Are you serious?""Well WHAT DO YOU PLAY?""Call of Duty!"~Me and Trevor talking about video games- Also, trevor is 5 YEARS OLD. ....
... ... That's not even apropraiate for you!

CoD/Halo/ < Mario/Pokemon/Zelda

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
Fighting Games > Pokemon > CastleVania > Mario/Sonic/Zelda > Shovel-ware > First Person Shooters

...Seriously.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Doom 2 is how you do a first person shooter.

I honestly don't think that Pokemon and Call of Duty are competing franchises and should be regarded as such.

I would ignore kids. They can say whatever mindless crap they come up with, but it doesn't make it true. The best thing to do is ignore the ignorant and move on.

Sorry about your situation though.

Kamotz

God of Monsters
Which call of Duty are they talking about? 1? 2? 3? Modern Warfare? Modern Warfare 2? Future Warfare? Future Warfare Special Super-Secret Stealth Mission Soldier-Fighter? That's not fair, Pokemon has just as many repetitive and redundant variants...

I don't presume to know what kind of stuff people like that are into...probably "don't ask/don't tell."

The Chilli God

Like a Boss
Meh, I play all genres. Except sports games. I am also a supporter of a wide range of game publishers.

I'd probably use that as an excuse if someone says "blech, you play Pokemon?" If, however, they say "blech, you don't play CoD?" I'd like to point out the closed-mindedness of their approach towards experiencing what the entire gaming industry has to offer them. Their loss if they aren't willing to experience more than a single franchise (or single genre, even) of games.

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
My second-cousin (he's around 12 but looks 8) only plays shooter games, and whenever they're around I complain to the parents about raising the foul mouthed lad on them and not something nostalgia inducing like Pokemon, but they just glance weakly at eachother and ignore what I said.
Next time the kiddy comes, I'm loaning him both Digital Devil Sagas. That's a nice, mature enough game (both are counted as one) for him.

Ohshi

Banned from Club Penguin
Both games are good.
I just look down at the people that only play FPS video games.
They don't seem to realize that those are not the only video games out there and FPS is not one of the really old genres of video gaming.

the ash man83

Avid TCG Fan
sometimes it may be the quality of the game, but most of the time it is primarily the opinion formulated by one's self. if one person likes this, then someone's bound to have the opposite opinion.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
You know, not all first person shooters are bad. I don't have a ton of experience in the industry, but I know Metroid Prime and all sequels were freaking amazing.

RobertStyx

Indicative of modern societal trends

Yeah, it makes a good point. College students don't give a damn what you like. People in high school who make fun of you for what you like aren't fully mature themselves.

This is disturbingly accurate...

EDIT:
You know, not all first person shooters are bad. I don't have a ton of experience in the industry, but I know Metroid Prime and all sequels were freaking amazing.

Too bad Metroid Prime + sequels (barring Hunters) were first person adventure games and not FPSs. The only FPS in the MP series was Hunters, which sucked big, fat, hairy monkey nuts.
Still, FPSs aren't by any means bad, just the vast majority of the mainstream, 'realistic' ones are. CoD is pretty much the epitome of piss poor though when it comes to FPSs.

Last edited: