• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon vs. The Bechdel Test! How well does Pokemon represent female characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
The Bechdel Test for movies is designed to test how much women are represented in movies. The test has three stages:
  • There must be at least two female characters
  • The female characters must speak to each other
  • They must speak about something other than a male

More specifically it should be noted that the female characters usually have to be named, however nameless characters with distinct personalities can arguably count. There have to be female characters, not just extras.

If a movie has not passed this test, it suggests that its creators have passively decided that including a conversation with two female characters isn’t important enough for screentime. On the other hand if it passes, that’s proof that the movie is showing that women’s lives are important even when the don't involve men (something that is missing from a lot of movies with “feminist” characters). The test proves that the filmmakers think that women are worth making films about, but it doesn’t test they way women are represented, so its limited when looking at individual movies.

I was curious how pokemon movies would perform, so I plan of re-watching them and Bechdel Testing them. This could be useful in comparing pokemon movies towards other movies marketed to children to see how well they represent women, as well as comparing pokemon movies to each other. Personally I expect most or even all of these movies to pass. If so this will prove that the pokemon anime represents women more than western actions movies, which is important seeing as it’s a big influence on so many kids. And that movies can sell well to boys and girls while representing women.

I’m planning on eventually doing the main movies as well as The Legend of Thunder, Mewtwo Returns and The Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon. Keep an eye on the first post as it will be updated! Movies will be added as I go along.

If there are any pokemon movies you're curious about, let me know below. Which movies do you expect to pass and which do you expect to fail? What's your take on pokemon and they way its women and girls are represented?

Here's the results so far, tagged so this thread won't take up space:
Pokemon The First Movie: Mewtwo Strikes Back: Passes 3/3:
The movie has many significant female characters, Jenny, Joy, Miranda, Neesha, Misty and Jessie. Not sure if Neesha and Miranda are named in the English dub but they are named in the credits and get a good amount of dialogue for a 72 minute movie. Women are shown to be clever, well-informed, confident and strong (or in Jessie’s case, clumsy and greedy, no positive discrimination either!). A clear-cut example of the test passing is 57 Minutes in. Nurse Joy asks Neesha what can come out of Mewtwo forcing the pokemon to fight and Neesha replies “nothing but pain”. Near the end Neesha, Jenny and Miranda share surprise that the storm cleared up strangely.

Pokemon Movie 2: The Power of One Passes 3/3
Around 12 minutes Carol, Melody and Maren greet eachother, talk about the local festival and how Maren got there. Its probably the longest conversation in the movie. All their names are used and you get a sense of their characters as well as exposition. Solid 3/3

Pokemon Movie 3: Spell of the Unown: Passes 3/3
What I think is the best pokemon movie has done really well on the Bechdel Test even for a pokemon movie.

Misty tells Lisa that she’s always wanted to see Greenfield, Lisa replies that she does too and that she knows the quickest way to get there.

Deliah and Molly when Deliah is brainwashed into acting as Molly’s mother, Molly insists that Deliah is her mother and the brainwashed Deliah agrees. Deliah asks Molly about being alone and she notes that she doesn’t feel alone because she has Entei and Deliah. Deliah’s influence is as crucial as Ash’s in helping Molly accept that she can’t live in her dream world.

Misty tells Molly that she’s a gym leader which really impresses Molly, who asks that she doesn’t have to be a grown-up to be a trainer. Both girls also agree to only use water pokemon and have an action scene against eachother. Molly asks Misty how she’s doing and Misty compliments here so Molly seems to be looking up to Misty as a role model (which seems realistic, younger girls seem to love hanging out with teenage girls).

As Molly’s imaginary friend Entei’s dialogue with could arguably count as an extension of her conversation too.

This movie is also notable for having the single best line in the entirety of pokemon from James: “I haven’t seen this many strange letters since the last time I placed a personal ad!”
But that’s off topic.

Pokemon Movie 4: Celebi the Voice of the Forest passes 3/3
This doesn’t do quite so well as the last three, as it focuses heavily on Sam and Ash’s friendship. But its still a clear pass.
Misty asks about the voice of the forest and grandma and Diana explain it to her briefly. Later when Celebi has been captured by the masked villain Diana asks her Grandma what’s going on and she says she doesn’t know but they’d better go find out.

This is when I started to really miss Takeshi Shudo, he never seemed to miss the chance to have useful female characters.

Pokemon Movie 5: Heroes - Latios and Latias Passes 3/3
Annie and Oakley open the movie talking about the Lati@s and jewel myth. You can actually see the slight difference in their ambitions already too, as Oakley is more interested in the defence mechanism of Altimar while Annie just wants to the Soul Dew. They talk about the Latis, the book and their plans all throughout the film.
Like Movie 3 the movies antagonists are female, which means its actually largely driven by women’s ambitions. This gives female characters lots of agency. This movie had the universe’s dullest chase scene but also represented women as a genuine threat to the heroes and the driving force of the movie. Unfortunately they were both really annoying in the dub, but women took the role of antagonist with Oakley being similar to Vicious in the last movie.

Pokemon Movie 6: Jirachi Wish Maker Fails (2/3)
The only named female characters were Diane, May and Jessie. In other words the only original female added to this movie was the lovestruck assistant defined by her role with Butler. Diane gives one-way exposition to the group including May, but one of the guys always speaks between May and Diane speaking in those conversations. Diane has a one-on-one conversation with May. However literally everything she says to them is about Butler.
Diane is horribly devoted to Butler as a character, she gets plenty of dialogue but all of it revolves around “I love Butler, wish he would stop being a total lunatic”. Jessie mainly talks to the guys in Team Rocket as usual leaving May with nobody to pass the test with. This is the only movie to fail the test so far. I don’t think any other movie will do as badly, except maybe “The Legend of Thunder”, and at least Marina gets to be a trainer. This movie is by far the worst at representing female characters as important and independent.

Pokemon Movie 7: Destiny Deoxys 3/3
This movie has nothing to do with Destiny. It also isn’t the second movie if you count Mewtwo Returns. Seriously they could have called it “Pokemon Movie 9: Didgeridoo Deoxys and been exactly as accurate. Its also a story of a young man being taught to ignore a perfectly healthy fear of portable monsters that can breathe fire or cause lightning storms.
Rebecca notes that its strange that they can see an aurora when they’re not near a North or South Pole, and May says they’re lucky to see it. Then May and Rebecca both immediately get flirted with and it cuts the conversation short. Later Rebecca explains that the pokeballs won’t work, the twins ask how they can use their pokemon and May says they can’t. Yuko gives the whole group exposition on where the Deoxys came from and its regeneration. Rebecca and Yuko talk briefly as they work on analysing footage of Deoxys together.
This movie is quite good at representing female characters. They seemed to work hard to make Rebecca and Yuko very cabable and independent, after Diane was so unhealthily dependent on Butler.

Last edited:

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Can we not?

General sillyness of the test aside, discussing whether or not a Pokemon movie "represents female characters well" purely based on whether or not the current girl in the group talks with that movie's main female character or some random Joy (these are Pokemon movies, the subject is going to be Pokemon no matter who's talking) without someone else being part of the conversation is... not a discussion that's going to lead to anything meaningful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.