• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon with more than one evolution choice

Folsom

Why? Well, wynaut?
Burmy (wormadam or mothim)
Gloom (vileplume and bellossom)
Clampearl (huntail or gorybess)
Poliwhirl (poliwrath or politoad)
Snorunt (glalie or froslass)
Deerling (season sawsbucks)
Rotom (different electronic items)
Deoxys (different forms)
Eevee (jolteon, vaporeon, leafeon, espeon, umbreon, leafeon, glaceon, sylveon)

I myself am not a big fan of it. Like thanks for having to get another added pokemon from the gts. It takes so long just to get one. Or when you have a shiny and you like both evolutions but you can only choose one. Why pokemons. Why.

What are your thoughts about it? Do you dislike or like that theyres two different evolutions? What pokemon do you think should have two different evolutions? Why? Wynaut? What evolution choices do you think weren't needed?

Blue Cobra

Bug Trainer
I like the concept.

Since Pokémon evolution can be achieved in different ways, I think it's a cool thing that one Pokémon can turn into two or more different Pokémon based on the way you trained it (or traded/used a specific item).

Also the fact that you have a choice between which Pokémon you want to have your Pokémon evolve into is a very good concept and I like that it's not always given what your Pokémon can turn into.

I especially like Gallade and Froslass, which represents alternative gender-based evolutions of Kirlia and Snorunt. Also Slowking which has a kind of opposite design compared to Slowbro, and Bellossom, which is a very different Pókémon compared to Gloom and Vileplume. So, the concept really Works for me, since it has given the evolution concept more variation and more opportunities, which I think is a good thing :)

Elchar

Deerling actually doesn't really count, as Sawsbuck is one Pokémon and it changes with seasons just like Deerling. Rotom and Deoxys doesn't count either, that's form change, not evolution. Also, you forgot about Kirlia (Gardevoir and Gallade), Slowpoke (Slowbro and Slowking), Tyrogue (Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, Hitmontop) and Wurmple (Silcoon and Cascoon) Oh, and it's spelled Clamperl... for some reason.

Last edited:

BattleMeta

Pokemon Writer
Multivariate evolution conforms more to the motif of evolution.
Animals evolve in response to stimuli. Different stimuli provokes different evolution.

The multiplicity of evolution for Evee and others is simply more realistic. Anyone agree?

It's neat because it's different than the usual Stage 1 > Stage 2 > Stage 3 evolution sequence.

phanpycross

God-king
I still prefer 3 stage evolutions, since most split-evolutions are either blatant upgrades, or damn pointless.

Still not as bad as trade-evolutions.

Carcara

I like the concept, but not all the ways it is done. Gallade and Gardevoir are a good one, but i don't really like Wormadam. I would like to see more Eeveelutions in the future as long as they're actually different and useful, some of them have quite limited movesets.

Missingno.Fan

I like the idea in general, but some of it just seems pointless. Like was Froslass, Politoad, and Bellossom really necessary?

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
I like the idea in general, but some of it just seems pointless. Like was Froslass, Politoad, and Bellossom really necessary?

I like Bellossom and Froslass as Pokémon, maybe just not in the lines they're from. As for Politoed, I would have preferred it to Poliwrath. A full line of tadpoles is underwhelming. They needed a frog/toad.

doodlecloud

Shiny Hunter
ne. Or when you have a shiny and you like both evolutions but you can only choose one. Why pokemons. Why.

I would've thought that would actually be one of the best things about mutli-evolutions? There are a lot of people in the shiny thread hunting for shiny eevees lately....and the great thing is, if you get one with the wrong nature or IVs for a certain eeveelution, there's a good chance it'll actually work better as one of the other eeveelutions. It means you shiny has a better chance of being useful. Particularly good for those that want to find a wild shiny or don't want to go through the fuss of breeding IV perfect pokemon for competitive play (I'm happy to breed pokemon with a couple of perfect IVs and the rest good but definitely don't have the patience for a flawless AND shiny pokemon).

In any case, the idea overall? Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. It depends on the pokemon. I prefer it when the different evolutions are from the same game....I'm not a big fan of adding an alternate evolution two gens later...just seems like someone didn't think about it properly when creating the first line of pokemon. Especially things like Politoed where they look NOTHING like the original line. As much as I love Politoed as a pokemon, it'd probably make more sense as it's own pokemon rather than being tagged onto Poliwag's line. But overall, I think it can be pretty fun.

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
I like Gallade branching off, especially with the recent images from Corocoro.

Vale_Star

Shiny Huntress
With multiple choices like Eevee, breeding helps to get every type. Though I think the next generation could use a pure Ghost type Eeveelution. You could call it Spectreon and make it need a Dusk stone used at night to evolve it. Not sure what the Japanese name would be though. ^_^

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Bellossom is a great Pokémon, and much better than Vileplume in my opinion.

But other alternative evolutions in my opinion are inferior to the other one.

Gallade is a physical psychic-type which doesn't seem right. Granted, it's also part fighting but I still find physical-based psychic to be unfitting.

There is no reason to choose Slowking over Slowbro. Slowbro has better defense than special defense, which makes it special from other psychic-types. Slowking on the other hand has more special defense, which is very common among psychic-types.

But Pokémon that had multiple evolutions since the beginning like Clamperl and Tyrogue I have absolutely no problem with.

Though I don't like Eevee or any of its evolutions. The less said about them the better.

Overall I think it's a mixed bag, some I like some I don't.

Last edited:

Vale_Star

Shiny Huntress
Bellossom is a great Pokémon, and much better than Vileplume in my opinion.

But other alternative evolutions in my opinion are inferior to the other one.

Kirlia is a physical psychic-type which doesn't seem right. Granted, it's also part fighting but I still find physical-based psychic to be unfitting.

There is no reason to choose Slowking over Slowbro. Slowbro has better defense than special defense, which makes it special from other psychic-types. Slowking on the other hand has more special defense, which is very common among psychic-types.

But Pokémon that had multiple evolutions since the beginning like Clamperl and Tyrogue I have absolutely no problem with.

Though I don't like Eevee or any of its evolutions. The less said about them the better.

Overall I think it's a mixed bag, some I like some I don't.

Kirlia isn't part Fighting though, it's Psychic/Fairy in X and Y. Gallade is the Psychi/Fighting one. Unless you're referring to another version.

Vale_Star

Shiny Huntress
No worries. I actually don't mind physical Psychic types, Medicham is pretty good if you use it well. So is the Piroette form of Meloetta.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
Honestly, it really depends IMO. I like some, I don't like some.

But the fact that a fair number of them are just reversed stats of each other is a bit on the disappointing side.

And I wouldn't count alternate forms as they are not evolutions.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
But the fact that a fair number of them are just reversed stats of each other is a bit on the disappointing side.

Yeah I find it pointless that many of them are just one stat swapped with another.

Now I'm gonna ask something, and this is a serious question by the way.

Is any reason, ANY REASON AT ALL to choose Slowking over Slowbro?

I mean there are plenty of psychic types that have better special defense than defense stat, Slowbro is unique for being an exception to this.

Well, people can use Slowking because they like it designwise, if that is the reason I can accept that.

malcolm_n

Pokemon Collector
Is any reason, ANY REASON AT ALL to choose Slowking over Slowbro?
Aesthetics is the only reason I like Slowking (the crown is awesome). Now that they're creating mega-slowbro, I'm tempted to try the crustacean, but not sure yet.

As to the primary topic, I like split evolutions for pokemon that I didn't care for previously. I'm not a fan of Gardevoir, but when they introduced Gallade, I was excited to raise a ralts finally. Now they have mega gallade, and I will certainly be raising one.