• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon X and Y Manga Thread

arawn

X seems pretty mischievous . Y didn't seem to be weak and girly that much . They look pretty promising .

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
[img139]http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/814367938.jpg?1381476503[/img139]

Our first shot of the new protagonists.

Is it just me, or does X look a lot like...Ruby? The eyes are pretty similar.

...Let the speculation commence.

Looks cool enough. At least they get to keep their shades. I'm excited on what the story for XY will be :)

SmartD

[img139]http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/814367938.jpg?1381476503[/img139]

Our first shot of the new protagonists.

...Let the speculation commence.

The eyes do kinda remind me of Ruby's. Pretty interesting.

matt0044

I see a bit of Gold of him.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
I could see him being a Bishounen with Kalos being stereotypically "beautiful" and PokeFrance and all. Though I don't really want that, I'd rather they tried something new. Plus "sharp" eyes aren't exclusive to Ruby, Gold had them at times as well. I really like X's facial design though and Y's cute as well and they get to keep their glasses :) Makes me happy. Though X could always be the exact opposite and find "beautiful" stuff to be a waste of time and would rather focus on the inner beauty of Pokemon, reverse Ruby in a way. I still want Platinum Fan.'s idea of X being trendy and looking at Gyms as old school and kinda "meh" overall, but still challenges them to prove how boring and ridiculous they are and travels around on skates ala similar to Red's bike, Yellow's Dody or Gold's scooter. Meanwhile Y likes Gyms and riding her Skiddo/Rhyhorn but isn't challenging them. Or big shakeup, Y is the main character and X is the "Sapphire/Platinum."

I hope Y has a Skiddo.

iml908

I just wanna know how the mange will treat the three Kanto starters. Will they be given to X and Y, or will they just go unnoticed.

I just wanna know how the mange will treat the three Kanto starters. Will they be given to X and Y, or will they just go unnoticed.

It wouldn't hurt to bring in someone from Kanto, maybe Blue/Green? I wonder what Professor Oak looks like now? It could be just Sycamore and he'll reference that he got these Pokemon from an old friend.

Macromind101

So it looks like Calem/X and Serena/Y are the only main characters for the XY manga after all (for now). It looks like Shauna will get the dreaded "Wally treatment".

Wait, has it actually been confirmed that Calem and Serena's names are actually X and Y in the manga? We could have another Lack-Two/Whi-Two case running around here...

Last edited:

diakyu

It wouldn't hurt to bring in someone from Kanto, maybe Blue/Green? I wonder what Professor Oak looks like now? It could be just Sycamore and he'll reference that he got these Pokemon from an old friend.
Story spoilers for X and Y-
A NPC mentions Oak's grandson is traveling in the Kalos region.

e9310103838

So it looks like Calem/X and Serena/Y are the only main characters for the XY manga after all (for now). It looks like Shauna will get the dreaded "Wally treatment".

Wait, has it actually been confirmed that Calem and Serena's names are actually X and Y in the manga? We could have another Lack-Two/Whi-Two case running around here...

No, this is npt confirmed in here. ;084;

TomNamikaze

TomPen94, Banido

Macromind101

Um, is it just me, or does it look as if though Calem/X has legs only and no arms? Ninja-style, anyone? Greninja?

Also, I would like to point out that, despite how no one will probably care, since I am in support of Calem/X getting Froakie, I chose the male character and started out with Froakie in my X version (already a Frogadier). ^_^ X/Froakie FTW!!!

G-SANtos

If the only thing that she lacks is a starter (and mind you, it's for the greater cause which is traditions) then I don't see it as a huge problem.
How are traditions a great cause? GF literally broke a lot of traditions recently. Not only they used sequels instead of a third version, but G6 broke even more of their "rules". Let's see:
-A game that is not named after a color or mineral—which may happen again, as Pokémon Alpha and Omega (or Beta, can't remember) are registered trademarks, as well as the fact that there aren't an infinite number of colors and minerals to use as names.
-An early bird that evolves into something that is not Normal/Flying.
-A Flying-type that has Flying as its primary type.
-The rival with Starter weak against you is the first to fight, while the one with advantage against you...
...doesn't fight you before their Starter evolves.
-Rivals without Starters (a first since G3).
-Non-Dragon-type mascots, if this counts.
-Every Pokémon is available in the game.
-Starters of a previous Gen being handed before the post-game.
-After defeating the Champion, there's also someone else you fight before the credits.

Honestly, it's time the manga changes some of its traditions, as the games are changing. In fact, this Generation is the epitome of changes: 3D, Mega Evolutions, first worldwide release, first time name length limit is increased...
Actually, this manga needs to change just to depict this Generation: Trova's plot, from what I've seen, is all about the PokéDex. He explicitly says comparing Dexes is "his own type of battle", and constantly appears to compare Dexes. There's simply no way to adapt him in the manga without breaking the PokéDex tradition.
I was really hoping for there to be five games this Gen, but since Yggdrasil is Xerneas, then there can't be an "O" Pokémon to fill this. I at leat hope we get W.

Also, technically, Whi-two does have a Starter—a PokéDex 3D one, it's just not a Starter in the main series. Not sure if this is what Kusaka had in mind, or if it's just extremely coincidental, but technically it's a Starter. Though Bulbapedia calls it "starting Pokémon", so i think there might be a difference.

I really hope that "Lack-Two" is considered the rival Dexholder of the Unova region because if he isn't, then there would be no rival Dexholder of Unova
Okay, look at the Hoenn trio. Ruby is the boy, Sapphire is the girl and[/i] the rival. What is Emerald?
Seriously, the roles aren't so fixed like this in "boy, rival, and girl", they are more closely "boy, girl, and the third one who just happens to be the rival in almost all cases". Lack-Two is not a rival, he's just the third person.

and it would be the first time that two different sections of Dexholders existed in the same region. And besides, it's about time that a female Dexholder got the fire-type, also considering that fire-type starters don't usually befit the female Dexholder but Fennekin is a rare exception imo.

an unknown girl that was likely supposed to be the female playable character (or another rival just to give the starter that was never chosen a home)
Sugimori said in his Twitter that the girl was only drawn so that Zenigame wouldn't be alone, as he wanted to show all the Starters with their Trainers.
Also, since there is unused data for a battle against Professor Ōkido, I believe he is the one originally planned to have the remaining Starter.

Honestly, I think Fokko looks better with Sana than with Serena. Sana is more about cuteness than Serena, who in the game just wants to battle the Trainer over and over. Sure, he could always change the personalities, but still...

In my opinion, the reason Sapphire gots the Starter weak against Ruby's, is because in the game your rival gives up being a Trainer, and mitsuru takes over the role, so Kusaka just intended in giving the "rival Starter" to him. Either that, or he just wanted Ruby and Sapphire to be Red Oni, and Blue Oni.

Inb4 he's Ruby's son.

I see a bit of Gold of him.
Inb4 he's Gold's son instead, or an artificial superhuman created from Gold and Ruby's DNA samples.

Um, is it just me, or does it look as if though Calem/X has legs only and no arms?
It's you. The arms are in the image, but it is cut in a way that lets it difficult to see.

Now some things to discuss.
First, I want to draw attention to a thing that hasn't been discussed yet, the Mega Evolutions are confirmed to be restricted to Pokémon from previous Gens. However, since Megas don't seen the kin of thing you would give to everyone, Kusaka could have problem showcasing both the Megas and the new pokémon, especially given that you can only use one Mega per battle.
However, since this Gen introduced such a small number of Pokémon, I'm not very worried anymore. Also, since many Megas are of Pokémon already owned by previous Protagonists, they probably can appear to showcase them.
A reason that I can think for White is this that the game has an item that, if I remember correctly, changes a Pokémon's Ability to its Hidden Ability, and Amanda's name implies Kusaka originally wanted her to have her Hidden Ability. This item could be the chance to fix this.

Also, for the names, I think Kusaka will use the game's nicknaming system, so "X" and "Y" would be nicknames rather than names. The nicknaming thing would also allow Sana, who seems to be the "second rival", to be nicknamed with the name of the third version later on. I mean, from what I've seen, she's even more important than Tierno and Trova, and even accompanies you and the "main rival" to the final battle against Flare.
Also, regarding version, I'm not sure if they are going to use "Z" as the name/nickname of a character even if "Z" is, indeed, the name of the third version, because we already have a character named AZ in the game, which is already too similar.

Now, discussing theories about the characters. Due to the photo spot in the games, I think one of them will be an aspiring model. The cliché decision would be Serena, but in RS they didn't go the cliché route of boy-Gm and girl-Contests.
For Pokémon, I think Calem/X will have an Eevee, who is the offspring of Red's Vee (so that that scene in Emerald can go anywhere else), and will evolve to Nymphia, while Serena/Y will have Torimian (Furfrou) because... Well, they always put a gimmick Pokémon on a main character, so. I was hoping for a Dragon Eeveelution for her, but this isn't going to happen.
If Calem does get Vee's offspring, do you think it'll carry the same mutation as the father?

Now, anti-shippers, prepare to be furious:
If you play as the boy, there's a scene where Sana confesses her feelings to the player.
I heard that an Italian reviewer said if you play as a girl, Calem does it instead, but I'm not sure if this is true.
I hope the manga turns this into a love triangle to differenciate from Ruby and Sapphire.

EDIT: By the way, does anyone know if the Japanese fans also dislike the naming tradition when it comes to demoting rivals?

Last edited:

iml908

After playing X and Y, I came up with a little theory as to how this chapter can play out. What if Calem and Serena are the personal students of Red and Green? They can say the 3 Kanto Starters are the children of Red and Green's starters, and they give their respective children Pokémon to their students. As for Blue, they can say she is training her own student (Z) and trying to master Mega Evolutions (her specialty is evolution).

So, ideally, this is how the story could play out

Calem, the student of Red, picks Froakie or Chespin (depending on how they count Lack-Two) and Bulbasaur
Serena, the student of Green, picks Fennekin or Froakie (depending on how they count Lack-Two) and Charmander

Halfway though the story, Blue can make an appearance and drop of some Mega Stones for a now possibly evolved Charizard and Venusaur. They can even show a silhouetted blob in the background and identifying that person as Blue's personal student (Z).

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
After playing X and Y, I came up with a little theory as to how this chapter can play out. What if Calem and Serena are the personal students of Red and Green? They can say the 3 Kanto Starters are the children of Red and Green's starters, and they give their respective children Pokémon to their students. As for Blue, they can say she is training her own student (Z) and trying to master Mega Evolutions (her specialty is evolution).

So, ideally, this is how the story could play out

Calem, the student of Red, picks Froakie or Chespin (depending on how they count Lack-Two) and Bulbasaur
Serena, the student of Green, picks Fennekin or Froakie (depending on how they count Lack-Two) and Charmander

Halfway though the story, Blue can make an appearance and drop of some Mega Stones for a now possibly evolved Charizard and Venusaur. They can even show a silhouetted blob in the background and identifying that person as Blue's personal student (Z).

It's unlikely to happen, but I have to say I love that student idea. Calem/X as Red's student and Serena/Y as Green's student. I would enjoy something like that, because you have the old generation mentoring the new ones, and I always love it when that happens, plus I want to see the older Dexholders really have a mentorship and student relationship with the Kalos Dexholders. I would also be amused if Green tried to push Serena/Y to be stronger then Calem/X, Red's apprentice, even though they're friends.

Pokemonspecialgerman

XY Looker spoiler
[Spoil] So apparently his Croagunk will die between BW2 and XY. RIP little fellow. I hope you die as a hero *salut*
Just kidding. I don't think Kusaka would do something like that.
Right..? Right?! [/Spoil]

Pokemonspecialgerman

Hold up, where did you hear about this?

The post game lumiose city bonus quests revealed something like that.

[Spoil] They said looker won't use own pokemon anymore because one of his trusted pokemon did not made it in one of his missions. And I think Croagunk is the best, or rather the only, real choice if they plan to adapt these quests in the manga. [/Spoil]

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
That Looker spoiler sounds kinda dark for normal Pokemon standards, but not Pokemon Adventures/PokeSpecial. We do it all the time down here. But that is interesting to say the least. I wonder what if that will translate into Adventures?