• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon X and Y Manga Thread

G-SANtos

1.) If we didn't get RS remakes in Gen V, we're probably not getting them now. Sequels, on the other hand...
I also don't see RS remakes, but I commented on their possibility because I saw someone mentioning that Tsunekaz [surname] or some other guy from Pokémon said during Nintendo Direct that they were preparing something for Hoenn fans. But I could have misread it, or be remembering wrong.

It would make sense to have a Dexholder reunion somewhere in the Gen VI chapters. It would start a pattern of having them every three generations.
We have the World Tournament which is likely going to appear in BW2. If it happens, a reunion is obligatory, so it wouldn't be every three generations. I see it more like "whenever it's convenient to the plot or whenever we have a connection to previous generations to showcase".

Who says that they don't have books detailing the history of Sinnoh in Kalos? You can still be an expert on something without experiencing it firsthand. Historians, for example.
I don't know. The way they head for "hey look, we discovered another one-hundred or so new Pokémon" at every generation and go like "hey look, I'm having a flashback where I have said newly discovered Pokémon even though it hasn't been discovered yet" just blatantly screams to me that the SPECIAL world has a screwed globalization, and the only time (I think) we had anyone knowing about the myths of one region without being from said region or having experienced anything firsthand was the Rocket Generals knowing about Arceus in HGSS, and for all we know, Saque could be involved in it ue to her connection to Rocket.

Now there's some things I want to bring up; the newer insider info from the games. Since it's almost a given for these to be true, I want to discuss the following:
-The turning upside-down thing. How will it be adapted to the manga? The anime will probably ignore it, but Kusaka likes to emulate gameplay, so... Turning the Pokédex upside-down? The Dex was treated as an equivalent to the Game Boy in RGB. But only three people per region have Pokédexes, so it would be impossible for any normal trainer to do it. Maybe Kusaka will come up with a specific item for that, or have the Pokémon turned upside-down?

-Two rivals. This... kind of solves one of the things I was thinking (see below), but brings up another problem: Unless one of these rivals is the unchosen player, we've got four characters, and only three games if we get a third version. There's not enough game names for these characters, and we have the naming tradition. If Kusaka finds a way to name two of the characters as "X" and "Y", like the espionage theory, of any of these two, then we still got one character left. If neither of the rivals is the unchosen player, and we get a third version, I would say it will be used to name an original character rather than one of the rivals. At any rate, I think the days of Dex Holder rivals are counted.

The worry I mentioned above is about three characters and only two games being released. We usually have three characters: The boy, the girl, and the rival. Gen. I doesn't have a gender choice, so there was no need to put a third character until the third game was out, and Gen. II only introduced this in the thrid version, so it could get away with introducing the girl later. However, Gen. III has a gender choice, with the unchosen player becoming the rival for a time another rival who only takes this later, so Kusaka introduced the girl right off the bat, and gave the name of the third version to an original character.
Gen. IV, again, has a gender choice and a normal rival who is not a player option. This time, Kusaka didn't have an excuse to introduce one of the characters later, so he went for an unusual solution: Gave the girl a surname, and made her refuse to give her first name until the third version was released. This was an innovative solution, but there's no way Kusaka can use it all the time, or else it would become stale, or stupid, and introducing either the rival or the girl later would be "unforgivable" or something along these lines, so Kusaka would have to choose between ending the naming tradition, or denying the rivals the right of being Dex Holders, and since I don't see him going for the first option, as he has done everything possible to keep the naming tradition alive until.
He could also decide to reveal later that the character was using a fake name for whatever reason, which, again, can't be done all the time, so I was wondering about the future of the naming tradition and what it means for the rivals.

Macromind101

I also don't see RS remakes, but I commented on their possibility because I saw someone mentioning that Tsunekaz [surname] or some other guy from Pokémon said during Nintendo Direct that they were preparing something for Hoenn fans. But I could have misread it, or be remembering wrong.

We have the World Tournament which is likely going to appear in BW2. If it happens, a reunion is obligatory, so it wouldn't be every three generations. I see it more like "whenever it's convenient to the plot or whenever we have a connection to previous generations to showcase".

I don't know. The way they head for "hey look, we discovered another one-hundred or so new Pokémon" at every generation and go like "hey look, I'm having a flashback where I have said newly discovered Pokémon even though it hasn't been discovered yet" just blatantly screams to me that the SPECIAL world has a screwed globalization, and the only time (I think) we had anyone knowing about the myths of one region without being from said region or having experienced anything firsthand was the Rocket Generals knowing about Arceus in HGSS, and for all we know, Saque could be involved in it ue to her connection to Rocket.

Now there's some things I want to bring up; the newer insider info from the games. Since it's almost a given for these to be true, I want to discuss the following:
-The turning upside-down thing. How will it be adapted to the manga? The anime will probably ignore it, but Kusaka likes to emulate gameplay, so... Turning the Pokédex upside-down? The Dex was treated as an equivalent to the Game Boy in RGB. But only three people per region have Pokédexes, so it would be impossible for any normal trainer to do it. Maybe Kusaka will come up with a specific item for that, or have the Pokémon turned upside-down?

-Two rivals. This... kind of solves one of the things I was thinking (see below), but brings up another problem: Unless one of these rivals is the unchosen player, we've got four characters, and only three games if we get a third version. There's not enough game names for these characters, and we have the naming tradition. If Kusaka finds a way to name two of the characters as "X" and "Y", like the espionage theory, of any of these two, then we still got one character left. If neither of the rivals is the unchosen player, and we get a third version, I would say it will be used to name an original character rather than one of the rivals. At any rate, I think the days of Dex Holder rivals are counted.

The worry I mentioned above is about three characters and only two games being released. We usually have three characters: The boy, the girl, and the rival. Gen. I doesn't have a gender choice, so there was no need to put a third character until the third game was out, and Gen. II only introduced this in the thrid version, so it could get away with introducing the girl later. However, Gen. III has a gender choice, with the unchosen player becoming the rival for a time another rival who only takes this later, so Kusaka introduced the girl right off the bat, and gave the name of the third version to an original character.
Gen. IV, again, has a gender choice and a normal rival who is not a player option. This time, Kusaka didn't have an excuse to introduce one of the characters later, so he went for an unusual solution: Gave the girl a surname, and made her refuse to give her first name until the third version was released. This was an innovative solution, but there's no way Kusaka can use it all the time, or else it would become stale, or stupid, and introducing either the rival or the girl later would be "unforgivable" or something along these lines, so Kusaka would have to choose between ending the naming tradition, or denying the rivals the right of being Dex Holders, and since I don't see him going for the first option, as he has done everything possible to keep the naming tradition alive until.
He could also decide to reveal later that the character was using a fake name for whatever reason, which, again, can't be done all the time, so I was wondering about the future of the naming tradition and what it means for the rivals.

Um...the same thing happened in BW. Kusaka could do the same thing he did before and give the two rivals the Cheren and Bianca treatment. He could give them starters and Pokedexes and all but eventually the rivals are gonna have to give their Pokedexes to the real Dexholders. I think the third version days are over and we're gonna get either sequels or prequels. And if there is only one rival in the second set of games, then he becomes the official rival Dexholder of Generation VI. And the naming tradition is already kinda ruined with Hugh being named Hugh (well it's not confirmed yet that he's gonna be the third Unova Dexholder but I think it's pretty clear at this point).

And where are you getting all the info with the Hoenn fans and the two rivals thing? Was it announced just today or something? I never heard of these news.

redchesus

Jade Star Trainer

Did the info specify that the two rivals are new characters? Or is one of them the OTHER playable character?

Flintoff Cypress

Premium Ice Cream

Again, that could be anything. For all we know they could be re-releasing Gen III on the 3DS virtual console.

Wasn't there some "leaked" information that said that the PWT was coming back (in an expanded form) in XY? If that's the case, then Kusaka might hold off until Gen VI to cover the PWT to allow him to get to the XY chapter before getting too far behind.

Now that's a simple case of bad writing. Kusaka could have handed that better, but didn't. While it would create a plot-hole to have people knowledgeable in other region's history, it's one that's small enough to be overlooked for the sake of the plot.

And where are you getting all the info with the Hoenn fans and the two rivals thing? Was it announced just today or something? I never heard of these news.

The "two rivals" thing is from supposed "leaked" information. There's too much conjecture being thrown around based on these "leaks".

Red_the_knight

Pokemon Warrior
Well, judging how everyone is becoming interested to this thread, I might as well join in.

My only question for this thread is how will it become of this? Say, how will the newer protagonists will have newer roles. From the RS, Brandon became the Coordinator and Sapphire as the Battler. Then there was a comedians to bodyguards for DP. And now a regular trainer for Black and Pokemon Movie Associate for White. How will this work out for X and Y (The newer protagonists)? Same goes to the newer gym leaders, villains, elite fours, and the champions.

e9310103838

Well, judging how everyone is becoming interested to this thread, I might as well join in.

My only question for this thread is how will it become of this? Say, how will the newer protagonists will have newer roles. From the RS, Brandon became the Coordinator and Sapphire as the Battler. Then there was a comedians to bodyguards for DP. And now a regular trainer for Black and Pokemon Movie Associate for White. How will this work out for X and Y (The newer protagonists)? Same goes to the newer gym leaders, villains, elite fours, and the champions.

Maybe they will try to go back to the route of GSC chapter.

The main character don't challenges the gyms, but still all gym leaders appear.

Red_the_knight

Pokemon Warrior
Originally posted by e9310103838
Maybe they will try to go back to the route of GSC chapter.

The main character don't challenges the gyms, but still all gym leaders appear.

Maybe. Just don't know the new gimmick feature will be for both the game and the manga.

G-SANtos

You know, one of the things announced (or implied) for X/Y during the first trailer is a new mechaninc involving bonds. I believe this mechanic will introduce a new Evolution method (by which sylveon will evolve). So here's a theory: The protagonist's first Pokémon is one that evolves by bond. It would be a nice way to show the "bond means power" thing that goes in most monster series.

The Hoenn thing is something I saw in the G6 threads when X/Y was announced, but I could've misread or be misremembering. The two rivals is linked in the "the newer insider info" part of my previous post.

Um...the same thing happened in BW. Kusaka could do the same thing he did before and give the two rivals the Cheren and Bianca treatment. He could give them starters and Pokedexes and all but eventually the rivals are gonna have to give their Pokedexes to the real Dexholders. I think the third version days are over and we're gonna get either sequels or prequels. And if there is only one rival in the second set of games, then he becomes the official rival Dexholder of Generation VI.
Even if we don't have a fourth character, we still got one character left to be named after a game, and Kusaka can't just keep hiding the third character name every arc like he did with Platinum, or else it would get repetitive. He could also just use the character's game canon name, but we saw what happened to Mitsuru, Cheren, and Bel, even though they couldn't be named in the games, and Hue is only an exception because there's no third game to name him after.

And the naming tradition is already kinda ruined with Hugh being named Hugh (well it's not confirmed yet that he's gonna be the third Unova Dexholder but I think it's pretty clear at this point).
I'm pretty sure there'll be a second set of Dexes. In the games, Hue raised his starter from an egg, and the two sets of Starters seem to be setting up a third set of Starters as descendants of them. Do your math, it's pretty obvious what's going to happen. And since it would be weird to have only one of these Starters being given to a main character, we got the BW2 players, and possibly a second set of Dexes (which could already be with Araragi Father. Or not), so Hue could also be fourth or fifth Dex holder, or even the sixth if Cheren's Dex is given to someone else.

Did the info specify that the two rivals are new characters? Or is one of them the OTHER playable character?
It only said "one rival is competitive, and the other is friendly. The friendly rival gives you his/her fully evolved Starter after you beat the game". We've got this image, but someone said it could be a co-op mode because the brown-haired girl is in a place that "doesn't make sense for an NPC".
Now, if we do get four characters, we still have to deal with the fact that they are short one starter. They could just repeat one of the Starters, which is how I thought they would deal with White until they revealed the second set of Starters, but it would be weird to have just one of the Starters being repeated. They could just repeat all three Starters, but it still would feel weird. However, according to the leaker, you can get one of the Kanto Starters from a Professor named Sycamore, so they could just give all three Kanto Starters to the fourth character, should he/she exist.

Again, that could be anything. For all we know they could be re-releasing Gen III on the 3DS virtual console.
I remember hearing that Nintendo/GF said they wouldn't release the old games for the virtual console. Though they could just be referring to G1, or I could be forgetting something.

Wasn't there some "leaked" information that said that the PWT was coming back (in an expanded form) in XY? If that's the case, then Kusaka might hold off until Gen VI to cover the PWT to allow him to get to the XY chapter before getting too far behind.
Not according to the one leaker that has evidence enough for one to safely assum he's telling the truth. If you heard stuff that is not mentioned here and here, we can't be sure it's true until Pokémon confirms/dismisses it, or the person offers any proof that he's telling the truth (like, leaking non-Japanese names for officially revealed Pokémon before the names are officially announced).

Now that's a simple case of bad writing. Kusaka could have handed that better, but didn't. While it would create a plot-hole to have people knowledgeable in other region's history, it's one that's small enough to be overlooked for the sake of the plot.
Except that is exactly how the games deal with these things. The games explicitly say Pichu was discovered by Utsugi (Elm) and GSC explicitly treats the Pokémon Egg as a new discovery. Even the official promo for XY treats Sylveon as newly discovered. And I could be wrong, but I think everyone seems to know about the legends of Johto in GSC despite said Pokémon being "recently discovered".

The "two rivals" thing is from supposed "leaked" information. There's too much conjecture being thrown around based on these "leaks".
The guy leaked the English names of Gogoat and the other three. This by itself gives enough credibility to him. Anyone can guess things like "Fairy type", which is almost obvious basing from all the Sylveon type hype, but who would be able to get all the four names correctly if they were just trolling? He even lost his job because of the leaks (Full story here). There's no way a false leaker would get into trouble with the company from whom he/she is supposedly leaking info from, so it's almost impossible for him to be lying.

DCFan

The Flame Jacobite
I know this could be rather stupid but what if they went with a mystical theme for one of the main charcters in the X and Y Manga like Yellow in the Yellow Chapter..

Macromind101

I know this could be rather stupid but what if they went with a mystical theme for one of the main charcters in the X and Y Manga like Yellow in the Yellow Chapter..

Meh, I don't think they'll do that again. It's a possibility but Kusaka kinda stopped seriously deviating from the games a few chapters ago (when I mean seriously, I mean like turning a completely normal forest from the games into a magical wonderland, evil gym leaders and Pokemon with powers that never existed in the games like Red's Eevee). And who knows, maybe N would be the next Yellow. He did come from a forest after all. Maybe that forest gives powers to children that is the ability to listen to Pokemon's voices, similar to Viridian Forest?

Flintoff Cypress

Premium Ice Cream
Except that is exactly how the games deal with these things. The games explicitly say Pichu was discovered by Utsugi (Elm) and GSC explicitly treats the Pokémon Egg as a new discovery. Even the official promo for XY treats Sylveon as newly discovered. And I could be wrong, but I think everyone seems to know about the legends of Johto in GSC despite said Pokémon being "recently discovered".

Okay, so it's the fault of the game's writers. The writing is just as shitty. One would have hoped that Kusaka could have deviated to smooth out any potential plotholes.

The guy leaked the English names of Gogoat and the other three. This by itself gives enough credibility to him. Anyone can guess things like "Fairy type", which is almost obvious basing from all the Sylveon type hype, but who would be able to get all the four names correctly if they were just trolling? He even lost his job because of the leaks (Full story here). There's no way a false leaker would get into trouble with the company from whom he/she is supposedly leaking info from, so it's almost impossible for him to be lying.

Now, that I wasn't aware of. I again apologize that I'm not able to scour every Pokemon news site 24/7 to be knowledgeable about every little detail. Besides, there's a shitload of bad information being thrown around (Pokebeach, Serebii, and Bulbagarden are not the only sites talking about Pokemon), it's hard to take these things seriously without a shitload of proof.

I remember hearing that Nintendo/GF said they wouldn't release the old games for the virtual console. Though they could just be referring to G1, or I could be forgetting something.

Not re-releasing at least Gen III on the VC would be foolish. Virtualizing and giving them some capability to transfer Pokemon to Gen VI would be 1000x easier and cheaper than developing remakes (of remakes, I might add).

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I hope whatever happens this storyline will be good. Its hard to believe we'll be in gen 6 soon and we don't even have anything on BW2's chapters. Again I'll say, I'd rather just skip BW2 and go to XY but it is what it is. I just never got into the BW2 hype.

redchesus

Jade Star Trainer
Meh, I don't think they'll do that again. It's a possibility but Kusaka kinda stopped seriously deviating from the games a few chapters ago

Yeah that was around the RuSa arc. I wonder if it was around the time they made that comment about PokéSpe being the most representative of the game universe?

diakyu

Yeah that was around the RuSa arc. I wonder if it was around the time they made that comment about PokéSpe being the most representative of the game universe?
I think it was around the time the game series stopped having such crap stories and gave him a decent story to work off of.

matt0044

I hope whatever happens this storyline will be good. Its hard to believe we'll be in gen 6 soon and we don't even have anything on BW2's chapters. Again I'll say, I'd rather just skip BW2 and go to XY but it is what it is. I just never got into the BW2 hype.

images

If possible that is. The arcs aren't always directly connected.

Macromind101

I think it was around the time the game series stopped having such crap stories and gave him a decent story to work off of.

LOL true I mean in Gen I the only plot that was in existence besides Red striving to become the League Champion was stopping Team Rocket, which honestly, compared to other villainous teams, was a joke. Their only goal of doing crime was just for the sake of doing crime. And Gen II wasn't much better; Gold/Ethan had similar goals and the same Team Rocket trying to find their boss. I mean, what actual plot was there? Gen III was when there was an actual interesting plot that Kusaka could work with.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Nope.

If the pattern tradition remains (which it will) then it will go like this:
Boy: Froakie
Girl: Fennekin
Rival: Chespin

We don't know if that pattern will remain but if it does then this will be the likely setup. I'm still very anxious to see what the storyline of XY will be for Adventures and what the main characters will be like. I like Black, but I really hope we don't have a over eager character going for the league again. It's far more generic then other characters. White's Pokemon talent agency was what really got me into the 10th chapter. It's to bad it was put on hold. I like unique stuff like this that really gets me into Adventures. I hope XY have something like that as well.

e9310103838

We don't know if that pattern will remain but if it does then this will be the likely setup. I'm still very anxious to see what the storyline of XY will be for Adventures and what the main characters will be like. I like Black, but I really hope we don't have a over eager character going for the league again. It's far more generic then other characters. White's Pokemon talent agency was what really got me into the 10th chapter. It's to bad it was put on hold. I like unique stuff like this that really gets me into Adventures. I hope XY have something like that as well.

I hope the next Kusaka has a good play for Pokéstar Studios.

Although we should get more screen in Pokémon World Tournament. ;311;