• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon X and Y Wifi Single Battle Sun Team

chap196

This is my new wifi battle team, the 1st wifi battle team is for the special rules, but since Rating Battle is down, I am playing free battle. That team is OK, but it dies to Azumarill and Rotom Wash (and they are OU). So I chose to create a weather team that destroy them.

Here is my team

Klefki
Item: Air Balloon/ Heat Rock/ Light Clay
Nature: Bold
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP/ 128 Defense/ 124 Sp Defense/ 4 Speed
Moveset:
Reflect
Light Screen
Sunny Day
Thunder Wave

This is the Pokemon that sets up Sunny Day, it is really strange to have a Pokemon like Klefki to set up Sunny Day, but it just make my opponent thought it was a Swagger+Foul Play moveset or a Normal Dual Screen Klefki. It makes my opponent thought this is never going to be a Sun team, but yes it is. Also can anybody make a calculation on what Pokemon will OHKO Klefki, so I am aware when to use Sunny Day.

Houndoom
Item: Houndoomite
Nature: Timid
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Special Attack/ 252 Speed/ 4 HP
Moveset:
Flamethrower
Dark Pulse
Solarbeam
Protect

People might thought that I will use Mega Charizard Y in a Sun Team, but since I already have Klefki, I would go for Mega Houndoom. I don't know why, but I never see Mega Houndoom In Wifi battle before. Solar Power + Sunny Day + STAB Flamethrower will deal a lot of damage and OHKO a lot of Pokemon that doesn't resist it. Fire Blast will even deal higher damage, but if it ever miss, Mega Houndoom is death. Dark Pulse are for STAB and can flinch. Solarbeam can cover Water Type Pokemon and it doesn't need to waste a turn thanks to Sunny Day. As you know, Mega Evolution will not use its new base Speed on the turn it Mega Evolves, so Protect is there to make it outspeed fast Pokemon like Garchomp in the next turn.

Talonflame
Item: Choice Band
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Attack/ 132 Speed/ 124 HP
Moveset:
Brave Bird
Flare Blitz
Steel Wing
U-Turn

Talonflame can easily OHKO Pokemon that is faster than Mega Houndoom with Brave Bird. The EV Spred is strange, but I don't use Brave Bird all the time, so some Speed might help it. Also the Speed EV is used to outspeed other Talonflame (since it is common).

Chandelure
Item: Choice Scarf/ Choice Specs
Nature: Modest
Ability: Inflitator
Moveset:
Fire Blast
Energy Ball
Shadow Ball
Psychic

This is another Pokemon that will swap with Talonflame depending on the opponent team. It is my Subkiller and I need it since Mega Houndoom will die if it uses Subtitute, of course it didn't destroy it, but with Chandelure's high Special Attack, it can OHKO a lot of Pokemon after Substitute (it wastes 1/4 of their HP). This time since Chandelure needs power, so I will go for Fire Blast. All other move are for coverages.

Venusaur
Item: Black Sludge
Nature: Timid
Ability: Chlorophyll
Moveset:
Energy Ball
Sludge Bomb
Growth
Sleep Powder

This is another Pokemon that will switch with Talonflame depending on the Situation, Venusaur can use Sleep Powder to sleep my opponent and give my opportunity to switch into Klefki to make Sunny Day came back. Also it can counter grass without the Sun.

Lucario
Item: Lucarionite
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Steadfast to Adaptability
EVs: 252 Attack/ 252 Speed/ 4 HP
Moveset:
Close Combat
Crunch
Bullet Punch
Sword Dance

Now after I know there is many counter on the Sun Team, I might switch to the non Sun Team (since you only choose 3 Pokemon in Wifi battle) if my opponent team is a weather inducer or maybe contains a counter for the sun Team. Klefki will still be in the team, the third Pokemon also will be in the team, only Mega Houndoom will get replace with Mega Lucario. Mega Lucario hits Tyranitar hard with Close Combat, it can kill Talonflame with Crunch (I don't think Brave Bird will OHKO it though). I don't know how good Mega Lucario is though.

This sun team will mostly be based on Mega Houndoom, I don't really want to change any Pokemin since I breed and EV train them already. But I certainly want a suggestion on what Pokemon to add.

All help are appreciated

Last edited:

coolerdynastic

Since Sunny Day last for only five turns, I think it is important to have another Sun inducer.Ninetails would be a good choice. Why dont you use Grass type to fully abuse the sun?Some with Chlorophyll can be pretty monstrous

KillerDraco

You don't really have a solid answer to Tyranitar that doesn't involve sacrificing one or more of your Pokemon. It comes in and gets rid of your sun, 1HKO's everything barring Klefki, or can set up Stealth Rock against Klefki since it doesn't mind paralysis. Once the rocks go up, your team has some serious issues with defensive synergy. Specs Chandelure is the closest thing to a check you have against it, as it can 2HKO with Energy Ball in the Sand, but only 3HKO's if it's running a Scarf. Talonflame's Steel Wing only 3HKOs as well.

Opposing Talonflame also gives your team trouble. Its Brave Bird can revenge kill everything on your team barring Klefki. Opposing Choice Band Talonflame with more speed than your own can check your entire team.

You could consider adding Coil Zygarde to your team. After it coils both Tyranitar and Talonflame become non-issues. It doesn't particularly benefit from Sun, but it checks many Sand and opposing Sun related threats. Something like...

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
Aura Break (derp)
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-ExtremeSpeed
-Coil

It also goes without saying that when Sun isn't up, your team is very water-weak, not to mention that Houndoom can't use Solarbeam effectively. You might consider a Chlorophyll user, such as Venusaur, as they can benefit from Sun, while still working well against Water types.

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
Timid Nature
Chlorophyll
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Energy Ball
-Sludge Bomb
-HP Fire/Growth
-Sleep Powder

And the reason you rarely see Mega Houndoom in Wifi is because it's not that good. It's pretty high maintenance, as it absolutely needs sun support to function at all; without the Sun, it's a subpar Mega. Meanwhile, things such as Mega Lucario, Mega Gengar, Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Charizard X, etc. can dismantle teams single-handedly, making them preferable choices for a team's Mega evolution.

chap196

Oh yeah I forgot about Grass lol. Drought no longer last forever in 6th gen, it last the same amount of turn as Sunny Day. Unfortunately, even if it is free battle, I don't really want to use Legendary Pokemon, unless if Zygarde isn't banned in Rating Battle, is there any other Pokemon that can function as well as Zygarde? As for Venusaur, yeah I think it is a good idea to add a suitable Grass Type Pokemon with Chlorophyll, and use Sleep Powder to sleep your opponent then either use Growth, attack it or switch to Klefki to set up Sunny Day again. Yeah I understand that Mega Houndoom is not that good, I just want to try something underrated lol. Thanks for all the suggestion everybody. All changes are in Bold.

Last edited:

coolerdynastic

A Brave Bird will not kill M. Lucario but Flare Blitz will. If he is wearing a Choice Band, M.Lucario can likely be screwed even being hit by Brave Bird

chap196

A Brave Bird will not kill M. Lucario but Flare Blitz will. If he is wearing a Choice Band, M.Lucario can likely be screwed even being hit by Brave Bird

I don't think a Banded Brave Bird will OHKO it, looks like Klefki needs to Thunder Wave it before Mega Lucario kills it, but that doesn't worth it, maybe I can only use my Talonflame to kill my opponent Talonflame. Also note that Reflect might be up in my team, so Mega Lucario can survive more hit.

Saffi

Cubone Hugger
With Sunny Day up, the opponent can hit you hard with their own fire moves, and you look like you have a lack of fire resistance on your team. I would prefer Flash Fire Chandelure over Infiltrator for a switch-in on fire moves, at least. Klefki and Lucario bound to be OHKO'd by any fire move that touches it as well, and probably same with Talonflame. Definitely find something that can take a fire move, because opponents can and will use your weather on you if they have the opportunity. Houndoom alone may not be enough, especially after it's all mega transformed and loses Flash Fire.

I'm not a competitive player myself but I too run a sun team and extra Fire resistance is something you should incorporate in there somewhere

Last edited:

$ILVER

If you want to make sun last, heat rock will give it 8 turns if you're willing to turn klefki into a suicide lead or trade it for magic bounce espeon with morning sun.

Also, it's totally up to your preferences, but when I run mega houndoom, sludge bomb in sun OHKO's any azumarill.

coolerdynastic

With Sunny Day up, the opponent can hit you hard with their own fire moves, and you look like you have a lack of fire resistance on your team. I would prefer Flash Fire Chandelure over Infiltrator for a switch-in on fire moves, at least. Klefki and Lucario bound to be OHKO'd by any fire move that touches it as well, and probably same with Talonflame. Definitely find something that can take a fire move, because opponents can and will use your weather on you if they have the opportunity. Houndoom alone may not be enough, especially after it's all mega transformed and loses Flash Fire.

I'm not a competitive player myself but I too run a sun team and extra Fire resistance is something you should incorporate in there somewhere

Dragon types should be useful in this matter. Rock type does good job but it I feel there arent many good rock type pokes compared to dragons though....

chap196

Well then I guess I didn't explain clear enough. Since we only need to choose 3 Pokemon, I can choose either to run Sun team or not depending on the opponent team. So I won't be using Mega Lucario when I decide to run a Sun Team nor I will use Mega Houndoom when I am not running a Sun Team. But yeah, since I can't really get Chrolophyll Venusaur, I might want a Pokemon that has a Fire Resistance and can take advantage of the sun too. Can anybody suggest it? I might try giving Klefki Heat Rock to extend the sun, that is a good idea. Well if Sludge Bomb can OHKO Azumarill, then Solarbeam can OHKO Azumarill even harder (yep I test it before). Again can anybody suggest a Dragon Type Pokemon and thanks for all the suggestion :).

coolerdynastic

Well then I guess I didn't explain clear enough. Since we only need to choose 3 Pokemon, I can choose either to run Sun team or not depending on the opponent team. So I won't be using Mega Lucario when I decide to run a Sun Team nor I will use Mega Houndoom when I am not running a Sun Team. But yeah, since I can't really get Chrolophyll Venusaur, I might want a Pokemon that has a Fire Resistance and can take advantage of the sun too. Can anybody suggest it? I might try giving Klefki Heat Rock to extend the sun, that is a good idea. Well if Sludge Bomb can OHKO Azumarill, then Solarbeam can OHKO Azumarill even harder (yep I test it before). Again can anybody suggest a Dragon Type Pokemon and thanks for all the suggestion :).
I tried various dragons (Salamence,Garchomp and Haxorus) in my previous sun team and I find Scarfed Haxorus could work well. Having it to learn rock slide will deal painful damage to those fire dudes who plan to abuse the weather but at the risk of having the skill being locked. Garchomp seems fine too but I personally do not prefer Salamence because both Salamence and fire pokes are weak against rock.
The again it is based on the strategy you are planning to use

chap196

I tried various dragons (Salamence,Garchomp and Haxorus) in my previous sun team and I find Scarfed Haxorus could work well. Having it to learn rock slide will deal painful damage to those fire dudes who plan to abuse the weather but at the risk of having the skill being locked. Garchomp seems fine too but I personally do not prefer Salamence because both Salamence and fire pokes are weak against rock.
The again it is based on the strategy you are planning to use

Okay, I will try using Haxorus (luckily I got Fraxure on my Friend Safari). It's attack is pretty high, but I am not sure why people didn't really use it that much.

coolerdynastic

Okay, I will try using Haxorus (luckily I got Fraxure on my Friend Safari). It's attack is pretty high, but I am not sure why people didn't really use it that much.

Probably because of its low SP.Def. I bet an Alakazam can kill it with a STAB move. its speed isnt very worth to look at despite 97 base speed

chap196

Probably because of its low SP.Def. I bet an Alakazam can kill it with a STAB move. its speed isnt very worth to look at despite 97 base speed

Yeah, people loves Garchomp a lot more than Haxorus, but with only 5 different base Speed, it effects a lot. Does Dragon Dance Haxorus Work? Anyway thanks for the suggestion.