• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon X & Y In-game Team Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaosthunder

Future X Team:

Chespin - Grass starters are notoriously ineffective early game bar Gen 1, which makes for a challenging game. Plus the fact i love his evolution too.
Pangoro - Good type coverage and looks like a real physical powerhouse.
Amaura - A very majestic looking pokemon and love the uniqueness of its typing.
Litleo - A LION. SNM.

Last two spots reserved for Pokemon yet to be revealed. Most definitely doing my first run through with all new Pokemon.

My team is going to depend on how soon I can trade and breed.

Option 1: (If trading and/or breeding are early enough)
Fennekin
Froakie
Chespin
Slyveon
Helioptile/Dedenne
Noivern

It hasn't been since 4th gen that all three regional starters have appealed to me, so I would want to get all of them on my team. Electric type has always been my favorite since the beginning, so I have to have one on my team. Helioptile definitely looks interesting, but I also like how much Dedenne reminds me of Raichu (one of my favorite electrics of all time). Going with Noivern instead of Talonflame since I already have a fire type in Fennekin. I've always been a sucker for Eeveelutions so Slyveon automatically gets her spot.

Option 2 (if trading and breeding aren't till much later)
Fennekin
Doublade
Slyveon/Pyroar
Helioptile/Dedenne
Noivern
Malamar

I always pick the fire starter, plus I've always been team Fennekin since day one. Honedge/Doublade has fascinated me since the reveal so I gotta have it. If I can't get Slyveon I'll go with Pyroar (male!) since I've always wanted a fire lion (Arcanine doesn't count). Malamar fascinates me because of typing and ability. Not crazy for any water types besides Froakie so far, and none of the grasses besides Chespin interest me yet.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
For My X team I'm planning on having-

Quilladin- Loved chespin and always will!
Swirlix- I loved Swirlix's design the Very first time I saw him(If he has one) I hope his Evolution looks just as great!
Clauncher- Very first Crustacean pokemon I have liked! Krabby was to...Odd, and Crawdaunt was a little to strange looking but he was still cool-looking.
Noivern- I always have a Dragon type pokemon on my Team. (gen1-Dragonite gen2-Kingdra gen3-Flygon gen4-Garchomp gen5-Hydreigon)
Pangoro- I have been waiting for a Friggin Panda pokemon FOREVER!!! Spinda to me was more "Teddy Bear"
???- I don't know yet maybe Absol or Mawile...(Not sure if I will have Just Gen 6 or not...)

Y-
Braixen- Frogadier is great but I love Braixen and Quilladin more, Braixen has that Elegant feel to her. Kind of like Serperior.
Skrelp- I usually have Counterparts on my team, I love both Clauncher and Skrelp, I just hope their Evolutions are Awesome!
Spritzee- Same reason as Skrelp, but right now I'm not so sure about Spritzee, I would like it to evolve into a Water/Fairy or Fairy/Flying Flamingo.
Malamar- Malamar and Inkay's Typing is Great! I think it is only 4x weak to Bug, and their Evolution method seems funny! Ever since I saw them I knew they were gonna be on my team.
???
???

SilverHybrid

Fabulous ;)
At the moment, I am still majorly undecided as to what my in-game team is actually going to be - I still don't really know what starter I'm going to be using (at least until we see the final evolutions). Of course, I'm only really ever going to decide until I see the whole dex and start playing through the game, because I'm more than likely to possibly change my mind (I'm very indecisive lolol). Although, at the moment from the pokemon we know of currently, this is my team:

Froakie - Always quite liked its design, but fell in love with it even more after seeing the second evolution stage. Plus, I've never really had a water starter as my first choice. So if Froakie's final evolution turns out to be great, then it'll be my choice.
Gogoat - I think Gogoat is pretty cool and to me, would seem like a pretty good pokemon to use. I've always been rather interested in Gogoat ever since it was officially released.
Tyrunt - At first I was unsure about this pokemon until I saw its evolution. It seems pretty epic to me and to me, seems like it'd be a rather powerful pokemon to have on my team. Although, this is one of the lesser choices for my team.
Fletchling - Ever since seeing Fletchling, I have highly considered using it for my team. I always have some sort of flying type pokemon on my team, obviously and Fletchling just seems like a great choice. Its even more appealing since its part fire type.
Helioptile - I quite like electric type pokemon and when I saw this one, I thought it looked really cute xD Again, this is probably one of my lesser choices at the moment.
Spritzee - At first I wasn't so sure about Spritzee but after looking at it a lot more, I've grown quite fond of this pokemon. I don't know, it just seems like it'd bring a bit more of an intriguing edge to my team.

I want to try and not use pokemon from past generations as I really want to try out these new pokemon. Although, I am heavily considering using Charmander since I'm also curious to see how these mega-evolutions work.

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
Both my x and y will be of kalos pokemon only. Since it is the 1st time i don't know all pokemon, i will be using experimenting all pokemon to see their evolutions and choose the ones i like the best. From oct 1st i'll go caveman and i will only return once i finish exploring. But from all the pokemon revealed so far here's my picks:
Y
skrelp
spritzee
yveltal
tyrantrum
fennekin
meowsitck male
X
aurorus
clauncher
meowstick female
furfrou
froakie
pangoro
Keep in mind my playstile is not towards team balance (it never was since gen 1) but to use the pokemon i like the most.

I'm specially interested in clauncher, skrelp and spitzee's evolutions since all these look interesting and skrelp is just going to become a water/poison sea dragon with access to dragon type moves, i know it.

blue8arman

Castform Fanatic
In Pokemon Y, I'm planning to use:
- Froakie
- Charmander
- Tyrantrum
- Meowstic (Male)
If Zigzagoon and Castform is available in-game, I'm definitely going to add them in my team.

Last edited:

Tf916

Parappa the Rapper
Pokemon X

-Chespin
-Squirtle
-Torchic
-T-rex Pokemon so far..

I might have a big team more then 6 and rotating them out every few levels.

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
My team's all planned out. Here's how it'll be, obviously barring any currently unrevealed evolutions;

1: Chespin → Quilladin
chespin.png
c1du.png

One of the first Pokémon of Generation VI to be revealed, and also the first one I decided on for my team. Some of you may recall my reaction to first seeing the Unova starters- I immediately decided on Tepig, and never turned back. It's the same thing this time. On the morning of January 8th, I woke up, saw the starters on the front page on Serebii, looked at them for a few seconds, and then said, "Chespin. Definitely picking Chespin."

Unlike many others, the revelation of Quilladin did not, at any point, make me reconsider my choice of starter. If anything, in fact, it only served to reinforce my decision. I found Quilladin to be both cute and cool, and I can hardly wait to find out just what its evolved form will look like.

2: Helioptile
electricnormallizard.png

Though I originally figured this had to be a Mawile pre-evolution (and then I learned about its type combination), learning to the contrary did not lessen my opinion of Helioptile any. I find it to be cuter than any other Electric or Normal-type out there. Yes, ANY. That's counting the Pikachu line and all Pikaclones. If it has an evolution (which it will if the latest Pokebeach leak has any truth to it), I can't wait to see what it looks like.

3: Skrelp
yi9s.png

Be honest- you all saw this one coming, am I right? :) I don't exactly keep it a secret that I adore the Poison type, and Skrelp is no exception. In fact, it's the main reason my main game will be Y (the only other reason being that Yveltal is more badass than Xerneas). I loved its looks even before we learned it was Poison/Water, and once I discovered its type combination, I knew I had my Water-type.

4: Noivern
703g.png

Now, Noivern's position is a tad... shaky. Historically, Dragon-types tend to be somewhat late in the game, and I'd prefer to have my Fly user once I get the HM for Fly. Now, nobody's denying that Noivern is badass, but the fact remains that if there's gonna be something available much earlier on that I end up loving, and/or Noivern turns out to not be available until way after you get the Fly HM, it's likely to be replaced. I'm kinda hoping this is an unnecessary measure, though.

5: Litleo♂ → Pyroar♂
hu4o.png
rcz5.png

Ah, yes, my Fire-type. I was torn on this for some time. At first, I was considering Houndour. Then, Charmeleon. But in the end, Litleo's cuteness won me over. Now, Pyroar, of course, kinda dashed my hopes for a Fire/Poison manticore evolution, but it might still be an alternate evolution for Litleo. For now, though, the male Pyroar will be my Fire-type. I just wish it got better Abilities than Rivalry and Unnerve...

6: (Espurr♀ →) Meowstic♀
aol8.png

As soon as we got clearer images of the Pokémon from the latest CoroCoro, my mind was made up. Something about the female Meowstic drew me in almost immediately. Maybe it was the fact that her color scheme worked much better than the one on the male Meowstic. Maybe it's the fact that her face clearly says that she doesn't give a Raticate's *** about anything. Maybe it's the fact that female Meowstic are better at outright attacking, as opposed to the more supportive role of the male Meowstic, as this mirrors my own preferred battle style. Could be all of that, to be honest. So, yeah, a female Meowstic's going on my team. I added the Espurr stuff in parentheses, because we haven't had it officially revealed yet, so we have no art of it, and thus I could not make a sprite of it.

Arcamenel

Shiny Hunter
My team right now is

Froakie - I was really unsure about this guy in the beginning but gradually it grew on me and it's first stage evolution completely sold me.

Flabebe/Swirlix - I know I want a fairy type on my team and these two are just the cutest so haven't quite decided on who I want yet.

Dedenne - As a rule I usually hate the pikaclones but this guy reminds me of Raichu who I love so definitely putting it on my team

Charmander - I tried to resist but the possibility of having a mega charizard on my team is just too good to pass up.

Meowstic(F) - Adorable psychic cat, of course it's going to be on my team :D

That's all I'm really set on right now.

Galvantulaman

I tend to spoil every game by reading the discoveries when games are released in Japan. But this time i want it to be a mistery. But when it comes to plan my team i will follow some simple rules.

1.- Keep my starter
2.- Have a variety of types that i like
3.- Use gen 6 pokemon if not one retyped from past gens.
4.- Try to keep my team awesome with some good looking pokemon.

So, elaborating....

1.- Starter: CHESPIN. I won't be choosing any other because i liked it form the very start and i won't betray it by liking Frogadier now. I just have faith it will become the greatest Grass type starter ever. Also, it's the first generation in which i want to choose the grass starter for my first run, so... i'm keeping it.
2.- Types that i like and are usually in my party: Dark, Bug, Psychic, Electric, Water, Dragon, Fire and Flying. Optional types i've used before: Ghost, Rock, Ice, Poison, Steel, Ground.
3.- I'm planning to use a Fairy type, but i still don't know which one. Could be a new one or a past gen retyped.
4.- This gen has one of the best designs overall so i won't have much trouble with this fourth rule.

OK, now to business. 6 slots and so many choices.

CHESPIN (starter that i won't drop)
GARDEVOIR (one of my favs and now it comes with a Fairy boost? Awesome)
TALONFLAME (It stole my love since sky battles were announced :D)
SKRELP (It looks just so amazing... and now poison has an advantage over Fairy? Sold)

I will stop right there. I know we will have awesome choices. So i'm hoping i can put these on my team:

Incredible looking Bug. Maybe Electric/Bug, Ghost/Bug or Water/Bug
New Dragon-Type Beast with a never-seen-before type combo (Not the T-Rex). I was thinking Grass/Dragon or Electric/Dragon since i already have Chespin.
Maybe a steel type if it's appealing enough. To give you an idea of how i want it to look... I like Aggron, a lot.

So, i basically choose my team for types i like and looks.
This was my last HG team:
Typhlosion, Electivire, Tyranitar, Gengar, Salamance, Gyarados.... They were all just too incredible and i loved them. i hope i can have good options in this gen.

That's all. I don't know if there people who agee with me, but i tend to use pokemon that appeal to me rather than their uses in the competitive arena... I mean, good type and awesome looks :D

Last edited:

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
I'll be getting both X and Y.

It's hard picking a team when you don't know everything about the Pokemon yet.
For Pokemon Y I'll be using:
Fennekin - I've always started with the fire starter been my thing ever since Red/Blue. Was very disappointed with Gen V's fire starter.
Noivern - So cool looking and being a Dragon-type made it even better. Will probably be my flying-type.
Doublade - It's a spirit possessing a sword how cool is that. But No guard ability is interesting, and not being effected at all by Normal/Fighting/Poison moves is just awesome.
Malamar - Right when I saw this thing I knew I just had to be on my team. It's typing/abilities are interesting and it's biggest threat is being x4 weak to bug.
Spritzee - Simply because it's exclusive to Y and to test out the new Fairy-type.
Tyrantrum - This guy is great looking finally a T-rex Pokemon. Let's just hope he doesn't turn out like Rampardos High Atk but pretty crappy everything else. With Tyrantrum's large range of weaknesses it wouldn't be good.

Pokemon X I'll be using:
Chespin - I believe it'll turn out just like Torchic's line, first evolution is a little derpy but it's final evolution becomes Epic.
Talonflame - Will most likely be my flying-type. A fire/flying pokemon is rare being Charizard the only non-legendary to get this type. Only big down fall is x4 weakness to rock.
Cluncher - My water Pokemon no word on it's ability yet but it looks pretty sweet, having a feeling if it get's an evolution it'll be pretty awesome.
Swirlix - It makes me laugh, and it being a Fairy-type it makes me laugh even more imagining Garchomp being killed by cotton candy XD
Furfrou - I love this thing in it's original shaggy style. But it's ability is pretty good only receiving half damage from physical moves.
Aurorus - Very interesting because of it's ability. Changing normal-type moves to Ice can become very threatening to Dragon-types and others weak to it. An it's move Freeze Dry actually being x2 weak to water is pretty cool.

Of course my teams will most likely change since we haven't seen all the new Kalos Pokemon.

Colton S

Beware Bewear
Fennekin- Loved the design since day 1 and love the witch design.
Dedenne- It's sooooo cute!
Aurorus- I like the design and the typing.
Bunnelby- Just because it's cute!
Furfrou- I like the hair cutting/styling ability.
??????

Hasty

Moonside
I'm going with Pokemon X,
my Team is this atm::

1--- Starter: I love Froakie, I love Quilladin, ... I'm undecided here, I could even pick Fennekin... depends all on the last Evo.
2 and 3--- Pyroar (male), Oorotto, Skrelp << 2 of those, it depends on my starter choice
4--- Mawile, it will be my only non-Gen6-Pokemon... But it has a Mega form! :)
5--- possibly Flabébé if it has one or two nice evolutions (and isn't similiar to Sunkern, stat-wise :)) / or maybe Furfrou / or Spritzee ... so many possibilities <,<
6--- Aurorus.

Surest thing ever: I will have a Kalos starter+Mawile

But it can all change when I see new Pokemon... xD
Mostly I like those because of their design (concept, typing, execution, etc).

Last edited:

Photonkrios95

For my First Playthrough I'm going for all fire types so:
Fenekin, Chamander, TalonFLame (So I dont need to teach Charizard FLy), Pyroar, Flareon (if available early) the last slot is for a HM slave, so stuff like surf and strength if available.

For My second play through:
Chespin, Squirtle, Talonflame, Pancham, Sylveon, Version exclusive water type (Skelp or Clauncher)

Third Play Through (So I can have all starters before Christmas when Bank is Released)
Sylveon, Umbreon, Vaporeon, Jolteon, Flareon, Talonflame.
This team is pretty much just an eevee run but I will use talonflame as and when, main use is so that I can fly to places.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Honestly, I'm not sure. The only Pokémon I'm certain will be on my team is Froakie and maybe Noivern and Litleo. The rest I have no clue I'm going to pick since I like quite a bit of them (at this point, Honedge, Spiritzee, Tyrunt, Amaura, Helioptile, and Meowstic) and I'm sure the number will grow as soon as I get into the game.

rocky505

Right now my teams look like this

Y Team
Chespin- I've liked Chespin since it was revealed on day 1 and I'm sticking with it because I know it's final form will be amazing
Talonflame- Talonflame is a major improvement over that lol bird we had in 5th gen. I just hope it's movepool is as good as Staraptor's was.
Blastoise- Squirtle was my first ever Pokemon in Blue and I was astounded at how amazing Mega Blastoise looked.
Tyrantrum- Rock/Dragon T-Rex? Yes please. It just screams awesomeness.

NightFall00

Trainer of the Night
For me, I've already preordered X, and I've been planning a party since we got the first few pokémon after the starters and Mega Mewtwo, but nothing's been set in stone, so there's still a little bit of addition I can add to these.

FROAKIE/FROGADIER: I was originally planning on using Chespin as my starter, and maybe I was a little disappointed by his evolution, but I do like Froakie for his kinda analytical appearance, so to speak. And now with an evolution, he just looks like he'd troll everything.

HONEDGE/DOUBLADE: I always use ghosts, there's never been a game where I haven't, and I don't change a winning formula. Besides, he's a living sword, hard for me to pass that up.

LITLEO/PYROAR: If anything, so I can have the opportunity to name him Mufasa. But, I always like to have a water/fire/electric party going on so I have basic coverage over most types. still haven't settled on an Electric type, and the two we do have aren't as dynamic as I would've hoped for, but I still have hope for Helioptile.

NOIVERN: Even if they have been nerfed by Fairy types, Dragons are still one of the number one types in my book, and Noivern is just such an awesome concept; one of the pokémon I really wanted to get in Ruby was an Exploud, be cause I like sound based pokémon. Noivern is both sound based, and a dragon, I can't lose with that. Besides, I still need something for Sky Battles.

The last two, I'm still shaky on the last two pokémon, but that's just because we haven't seen everything, and I want to know what else I'm getting into, but I have a couple more choices in reserve in case the rest of the pokémon really disappoint. And I'm the kind of guy that uses pokémon from that Region specifically, so they're going to be Kalos.

SKIDDO/GOGOAT: He's a cool pokémon, and a philosophy of mine is if I don't have an electric type, go with the next best thing, and to me that's a grass type. Besides, he's the first pokémon that we have actual proof you can ride on, and that's something I'm really excited about, that and being able to sit on BENCHES.

SWILRIX: With getting X, I'd like to use a pokémon specific from that game in my party, and so far that's either Clauncher, Xerneas, or this dude. I don't like to repeat types in my party, and Fairies are going to be the new Overpowered pokémon in the games, being immune to dragon and all that, so I figured why not use the Fairy only X can get. Besides, I always chuckle when I think of him munching down on sweets.

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
My planned team:
1. Chespin - cool design (I even like you, Quilladin) and likely stat spread suits my playstyle
2. Skrelp - I like it's basis, typing, and design
3. Talonflame - it's a flaming falcon, what more needs to be said?
4. Tyrantrum - awesome design, and a typing I've been yearning for for a long time, guaranteed spot on my team
5. Pangoro - it's just cool, and it's Dark type (my favourite type)
6. Helioptile - it's so cute and has so much potential

This team also happens to have perfect coverage as long as one of them knows a Ground move, which Chespin can learn (although Mud Shot is kinda bleh), and Chespin's evo/Tyrantrum/Pangoro will likely be able to learn Earthquake via TM.

Aurath8

All of this is pending since I decide pokemon based on stats and appearances. I sometimes even choose pokemon with the right colour balance. It annoys me when I look at my team's screen and I see too much of a single colour. Still, I already have a little shortlist:

1. Talonflame. This is the only pokemon I've properly decided on. Its a fast Fire/Flying type that gets Brave Bird. What's not to love? It also has a decent enough movepool even before I know whether it gets Flare Blitz or not.

2. Froakie/Chespin. The local firefox doesn't appeal to me and I already have Talonflame. It's a bust-up between the remaining two starters for my love. Right I'm leaning towards Froakie as he is likely the faster starter, and the only truly terrible fast starter was BW Serperior, who got sorta fixed in BW2. I also don't like Quilladin, but I'll wait until we get starter evos for this.

3. Squirtle/Bulbasaur. To complete the Fire/Water/Grass core that's been present in most of my teams. Naturally, this choice depends on the former. Since Froakie is winning, so is Bulbasaur. I'd prefer the latter pair, as Chespin will probably end up as a tank, like Blastoise, except that Mega Venusaur would be able to out-tank both of them with Thick Fat. In general Venusaur is just a very solid Grass type.
No Charmander because Talonflame.

I'm still undecided on the rest. Pangoro has captured my interest, as has Doublade for its typing. Tyrantrum is also on my list and a Fairy type(in the spirit of its introduction). Ultimately, I'll decide once the stats and movepools start making their way in.

EDIT: Oh damnit I forgot about the even Torchic. I'll breed one myself if I can as I don't want the boosted exp making things too easy.

Last edited:

nuzamaki90

I'm definitely going to be rotating but my final team will 100% have the final evolutions of Chespin and Froakie.

I don't want to have repeating types in my final team but I don't want a team consisting of four starters. Blaziken and Talonflame are tough choices but I may just rotate them for my main fire types.

Status
Not open for further replies.