• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon you like that everyone else seems to hate

PineapplePizza

1. Chikorita and its evolutions- Everyone and their mother seems to dog on it as being the worst gen 2 starter. I have a bit of a fondness for it because that's the starter I picked when I first played Gold as a kid all those years ag0 (because that was the only Johto starter Ash had at the time I got the game) and since I was one of those kids who was too dumb to rotate his team I had a pretty high level Meganium by the end of the game (at the expense of my other Pokemon :p) The Cyndaquil line is my Johto starter of choice nowadays but I still can't hate Chikorita and its evo line. Besides Croconaw is the worst designed of all the Johto starter evolutions :p

2. Venusaur- Is it as cool looking as Charizard and Blastoise? Well no but it's still pretty awesome looking. I wish Ash's Bulbasaur wasn't so against evolving. Really the Bulba line as a whole is underrated (since everyone treats it like the Hufflepuff of Kanto starters) but it seems everyone has a problem with this specific stage. Admittedly I tend to keep Bulbasaur a Bulba as long as possible (mostly because of the hideous Venusaur gen 1 backsprite...) but yeah Venusaur is still cool with me

3. Vanillite- Them: It's ice cream..... Me: It's so freakin cute!

4. Dragonite- Everyone rags on it's design but I was always fond of Dragonite.

5. Tepig- At least I get the impression a lot of people don't like this starter? It's pretty cute. Cuter than Snivy which is overrated as hell. A bit shame that its evo line is lackluster. But all the gen 5 starters have less than stellar evolutions with Oshowatt probably getting off the best

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
People dislike Dragonite...?

Venusaur is my boi too though.

Snivy - loooooota people dissing on my danger noodle.

Bergmite - lil ice baby.

Burmy, Wormadam and Mothim - my bug buds need more love.

Delibird - a Christmas friend.

Spritzee and Aromatisse - honestly I'm really not sure why people dislike these two at all... they're cute.

Pansimian - what a cool design!

Luvdisc - SO CUTE! I LOVE THEM!

nel3

Crimson Dragon
Farfetch'd is my pick for fav everyone hates. 90 atk with meh stats elsewhere. admittedly its pretty bad in the early generations but bravebird, first impression and the other moves it learn in the newer generations make it viable for a gimmicky atk set, great also with the defiant activated. still a base 60 speed is still base 60 but against slower pokemon it can cause some serious damage.

i also have a thing for Furret but the moves, frisk ability and stats are better in a sense with 90 base speed.

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
  • I’d have to agree, love me some Chikorita and its evolutions. It was my first pick for Gen 2 and loved using it, so I’m biased. Ironically I’d choose Toto or it, over Cyndaquil, any day.

• Smoochum/Jynx because of its typing. I know they’re disliked for looking creepy and possible being designed off of Sambo; I don’t think they’re creepy as people say. As far as the Sambo reference, I myself give them the benefit of the doubt. I’ve lived in the Eastern Hemisphere, there’s a big gap in cultural awareness. Plus they’ve changed the color so...eh

• I’ve seen hate on Aromatisse’s design, I’m indifferent on the design. Though, I like using the Pokémon. Was my go to Gen 6 Trick Room setter, boy was it handy.

• Bulba over the other two Kanto starters. I like status moves like Leech Seed, Sleep Powder, etc. so I favored it more. Ivysaur is definitely my favorite of the line.
I probably have more, but I’d have to look around to see what I like that other people don’t.

Yureishi

Miltank, Exploud, Lickilicky and Klinklang are some of my very favourite Pokémon. Guess I said enough.

Mhov

I have fond memories of Graveler, since I beat Pokemon Silver (my first game) with a team with five Graveler. I didn't know how to get a Golem so I ended up training five Graveler.

The gen V genies are also Pokemon I really like, especially their Incarnate formes. I like the powerful, somewhat angry spirit aesthetic.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I’ve had my fair share of positive experiences with the elemental monkeys (Pansage and Panpour lines mainly). Mainly in Y during the earlier stages of the game. And I do kinda like their pre-evolution forms.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I have fond memories of Graveler, since I beat Pokemon Silver (my first game) with a team with five Graveler. I didn't know how to get a Golem so I ended up training five Graveler.

The gen V genies are also Pokemon I really like, especially their Incarnate formes. I like the powerful, somewhat angry spirit aesthetic.
Random: Your avatar. Is that TCG artwork?

Also I like Klinklang. Think he's an awesome Pokemon.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Yep, it's Clefable from the Jungle expansion.
Neat. I like how a lot of the TCG art looks like something out a painting, depicting Pokemon roaming their habitats or hanging out in town or cities.

Another Pokemon I like that isn't that popular is Dunsparce.

byconcept

Poplio - When the starters for sun/moon were announced, I clearly remember poplio getting the least amount of love. I love that whole evolution line

I also like ultrabeasts in general. I love how cartoonish and strange they are. Pokemon typically look like reimaginings of existing animals (and objects) but ultrabeasts really seem like they're from a different world. Consequently, I think the following are some of the best designs in the series.

793Nihilego.png

806Blacephalon.png

Orphalesion

Jynx? When I was a small child when Pokemon was released I loved her because she looked so silly. Especially when I played Pokemon stadium and found out that there's nothing under her skit hahaha.
Back then I didn't understand the various unfortunate elements of her design. And I loved that she got a baby form in Gen II.
And yeah the Bulbasaur line is the best Kanto-starter, but are they "hated"?

Other than that...I love the Sandyghast and the Litwick lines, I think people sometimes trash them for being "object Pokemon"
And well I suppose a good number of Gen 5 Pokemon like Gothitelle. I also like Thrubbish for looking "pathetic cute", I just really don't like it's evolution.

Aromatisse is one of my top favourite Pokemon, but again I don't know whether it's "hated" it looks like a creature from Jim Hanson's Labytrinth.

And I think people reacted negatively towards Primarina. However for me it's the first fully evolved starter I absolutely love. I also like Inceneroar, I don't care if its bipedal.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Ignoring the obligatory hatred on object mons that everyone exaggerates on:

-Elemental Monkeys: they’re cute. Their design inspiration is a clever and unique idea. Plus them being fundamentally pseudo starters was a neat touch.

-The last 3 generations of Fire starters: I honestly find the complaints over bipedal starters stupid for lack of a better term atm. They all look fine though I do admit Delphox’s 3D model did it an injustice. They’re all strong enough to pull through. They also all have dope Shinies.

-Crabominable: Its face is such a small feature that gets overblown. No one takes into account it’s backstory and how it literally fits with Kukui’s intentions with the Alola League. As a bonus, this thing is a beast in Trick Room.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!

-The last 3 generations of Fire starters: I honestly find the complaints over bipedal starters stupid for lack of a better term atm. They all look fine though I do admit Delphox’s 3D model did it an injustice. They’re all strong enough to pull through. They also all have dope Shinies.

Then we had three generations in a row where the fire starter becomes a fire/ fighting type. I really don't mind actually changing from that.

One particularly hated pokemon that I have a soft spot for besides Vanilluxe's line is Garbodor.

People complain about its hideous design when they don't realize that it is suppose to be ugly. It's pollution and land pollution for that matter, is it MEANT to be pretty?

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen

-Elemental Monkeys: they’re cute. Their design inspiration is a clever and unique idea. Plus them being fundamentally pseudo starters was a neat touch.

-Crabominable: Its face is such a small feature that gets overblown. No one takes into account it’s backstory and how it literally fits with Kukui’s intentions with the Alola League. As a bonus, this thing is a beast in Trick Room.

I thought the complaints were the 3 being Fire/Fighting in a row. Especially since there aren't Fire/Fighting types outside of the starters.

Anyway,

Panpour and Simipour. 98 ATK and 101 Speed are pretty good when you can learn Hone Claws and Aqua Tail.

Vanilluxe. Ice is my favorite type.

Avalugg. Same reasons.

Bellsprout. Read the Electric Tale of Pikachu.

Others to maybe be listed later.

This would be way easier to list if the title had hate and love in the opposite positions.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I thought the complaints were the 3 being Fire/Fighting in a row. Especially since there aren't Fire/Fighting types outside of the starters.

Anyway,

Panpour and Simipour. 98 ATK and 101 Speed are pretty good when you can learn Hone Claws and Aqua Tail.

Avalugg. Same reasons.

This would be way easier to list if the title had hate and love in the opposite positions.
There’s two complaints: the one who mentioned & that Emboar, Delphox, & Incineroar look ugly mostly because they’re bipedal

Nockturne

How do people feel about Minior?

Its one of my favourite Alola designs, but I never hear people talk about it so I assume its either disliked or one of those Pokemon that just falls through the cracks in peoples memory.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor

Anyway,

Avalugg. Same reasons.

Ice is my favourite too!

I forgot to mention Jynx in my initial post. I love that it has long flowy hair and fun facial features. Smoochum is also adorable and you can't change my mind.

I also really like Chespin and its family, they're all really cute.

How do people feel about Minior?

Its one of my favourite Alola designs, but I never hear people talk about it so I assume its either disliked or one of those Pokemon that just falls through the cracks in peoples memory.

I like it's design but it's pretty forgettable