• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon you like that everyone else seems to hate

Orphalesion

How do people feel about Minior?

Its one of my favourite Alola designs, but I never hear people talk about it so I assume its either disliked or one of those Pokemon that just falls through the cracks in peoples memory.

I like the design, but I think the Pokemon just doesn't live up to the design. I think they should have given it an evolution.

PineapplePizza

And yeah the Bulbasaur line is the best Kanto-starter, but are they "hated"?

Bulbasaur being "the one nobody picks" is practically a meme. Granted, I think Bulbasaur's unpopularity is usually just from fans who only played generation 1 only. I always found Bulbasaur to be a good choice because there really wasn't a lot of good grass Pokemon to choose from in gen 1. Squirtle and its evos are cool and all but water Pokemon are a dime a dozen. Charmander is a great choice imo but so are growlithe/arcanine and Flareon. You really won't find a better grass Pokemon in gen 1 than Bulbasaur.

Orphalesion

Bulbasaur being "the one nobody picks" is practically a meme. Granted, I think Bulbasaur's unpopularity is usually just from fans who only played generation 1 only. I always found Bulbasaur to be a good choice because there really wasn't a lot of good grass Pokemon to choose from in gen 1. Squirtle and its evos are cool and all but water Pokemon are a dime a dozen. Charmander is a great choice imo but so are growlithe/arcanine and Flareon. You really won't find a better grass Pokemon in gen 1 than Bulbasaur.

When I was a kid I chose him because I liked the colour Green :p

But yeah he's easily the best Grass Pokemon in Gen 1. While Charmander and Squirtle have more competition in their types.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Almost everyone hates Charizard now and most of the time they bring up competitive statistics that they can barely comprehend to look smart. I remember during my days in FRLG where people would say “Bulbasaur has the best time type advantage for the beginning” but I always thought it’d be more fun to play with a Pokèmon who has a disadvantage to make the game more challenging nevermind team composition besides your starter

PineapplePizza

Almost everyone hates Charizard now and most of the time they bring up competitive statistics that they can barely comprehend to look smart.
I know Charizard is a favorite punching bag of the "hahaha gen 1 sucks and has no merits and I'm not bitter that my fav gen isn't as popular or beloved" crowd but I feel most normal fans don't? Maybe I'm wrong.

I remember during my days in FRLG where people would say “Bulbasaur has the best time type advantage for the beginning”

I like Bulbasaur, obviously, but I always found that piece of advise questionable myself. Bulbasaur doesn't know a good STAB move until level 13. By level 13 your Charmander could beat Brock in gen 1 simply by spamming Ember and knowing when to avoid using offensive attacks when its using bide. FRLG at least makes it more difficult by having Onix's signature move be Rock Tomb. I've seen fans treat it as easier because Charmander can learn Metal Claw not accounting for how much better Brock is in the remakes. My first time playing Fire Red I lost to Brock a couple times thinking I could just cream him with Metal Claw.

Also Bulbasaur doesn't fair so hot against the mirad of bug pokemon or pidgey or zubat in the beginning. I actually found using Bulbasaur a bit more of challenge than Charmander who can burn his way through Viridian forest.

If fans are going to decide which starter is "easiest to use" based on who can beat Brock the easiest than Squirtle would win. It could beat Geodude and Onix at the lowest possible level.

I

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I know Charizard is a favorite punching bag of the "hahaha gen 1 sucks and has no merits and I'm not bitter that my fav gen isn't as popular or beloved" crowd but I feel most normal fans don't? Maybe I'm wrong
I guess I wouldn’t say hate but more so dislike by using its popularity as a reason to despise it

Luthor

My answer to this- Hypno. I'll be the first to admit it needs a serious boost to be competitive but it's still despite those limitations it is still a favourite pokemon of mine and yet a lot of fans just don't care much for it.

Orphalesion

Almost everyone hates Charizard now and most of the time they bring up competitive statistics that they can barely comprehend to look smart. I remember during my days in FRLG where people would say “Bulbasaur has the best time type advantage for the beginning” but I always thought it’d be more fun to play with a Pokèmon who has a disadvantage to make the game more challenging nevermind team composition besides your starter

I just genuinely never liked Charmander's design, like even as a kid. It could have been popula, unpopular or anything in between and I wouldn't have liked it. I think it looked rubbery to me. I think Charmeleon looks better than Charmander though (it's that horn and general dinosaur-like design)

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Noctowl- "it's just an owl" but hey, I like owls. Its eyes aren't freakishly huge and it can learn psychic type attacks without being psychic type, which I think is cool. That and I like the color brown. It also helps that Noctowl was one of the Pokemon to get a buff in the newer gens, so that's nice!

Stantler- I love deer, the psychic bit again is pretty cool

Chikorita line- (it's not just Johto stuff, I swear) Freaking love Chikorita et al. Always have.

Oshawott line- I like Dewott the most, but this line doesn't get a lot of love and I honestly never understood why. It's a samurai otter. Admittedly, I was a bit disappointed with Samurott, but the design has grown on me. Love their scalchops!

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
People dislike Dragonite...?
I could be wrong here, but I don't think it's so much that people dislike Dragonite. I think it's moreso some people prefer Dragonair and wish Dragonite looked more like it. It is a pretty drastic change, after all. I don't know if that's what the OP is referring to, but I have seen that opinion thrown around in some corners.

I'll throw out a couple myself.

Delphox is probably one of my favorite Fire types, which is why I was completely crushed when I saw literally everybody trashing it when it was revealed. Granted, it may be because it's 3D model is pretty unflattering, but I still saw many people disappointed it didn't retain the whole "magical girl" look Braixen had (and honestly, I never really cared for Braixen too much; it's too cutesy and girly for my taste). Probably didn't help that Greninja completely stole the show in Gen VI and pushed both it and Chesnaught into the background. But 3D model aside, I absolutely love Delphox's design and think the whole mage concept is creative.

Also, while its design took some getting used to, I'll throw out Alolan Persian as well. While I do prefer Kantonian Persian, I can understand why they went in the direction they did with the Alolan variety, especially since it's supposed to be based on a British shorthair, which are pretty goofy looking cats to begin with. I think what doomed it is that Kantonian Persian has this very sleek, elegant design that people were expecting the Alolan variety to retain, but instead we get this goofy looking cat. But IDK. I kinda like the contrast.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I like the design, but I think the Pokemon just doesn't live up to the design. I think they should have given it an evolution.
I think most people are neutral-positive to Minior

Delibird is an interesting case. As a fighter, it's garbage. However it's one of those joke characters which I can't bring myself to hate. It's got a nice Santa design, Delibird is a friendly Pokemon that wants to help. I like Corsola despite it being weak since I feel bad about how Mareanie pick on it, and because Sun and Moon have made it adorable in my eyes

Unown however can burn in a fire

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
I really like the Vanillite line, and is actually one of my fave Ice-types thanks to its interesting concept of being a sentient icicle that is partially covered in snow to give off its ice cream-like image. In addition, Vanilluxe has a BST on par with Lapras, which isn’t anything to joke about.

Unfortunately, as adorable and interesting it is, it has a bad reputation with the fandom, being viewed as one of the “worst” designs of any Pokémon, and is always a victim of the “Game Freak is running out of ideas” criticism.

byconcept

I like Mudbray and Mudsdale. Not sure how most people feel about these but I've heard a poketuber say they don't like them.

raichu27

Simisear, Simisage, Stunfisk(like its typing), Samurott, Chikorita and its evolutions, Jynx, Fearow, Delibird, Ludicolo(interesting how two starter types pair together), Bulbasaur and its evolutions, Beedrill, and Durant come to mind.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
My all time Favorite Lopunny! It's so satisfying to beat other Pokemon with her and to see my opponents cringe though it has been a few years.

*fades in* Carbink is my favourite Pokemon *fades out*

On a more serious note it’s just super cute and is surprisingly good in Battle - having either a Toxic/Psychic/Power Gem/Moonblast combo or a Toxic/Power Gem/Reflect/Light Screen combo works really well thanks to its bulk. Early game it also has Sharpen and Harden, the latter of which further adds to said bulk and the former of which can be used as a combo with Smack Down. Also it became my own personal meme due to how I caught it, what I named it (Not), and how eventually really useful it became.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Noctowl- "it's just an owl" but hey, I like owls. Its eyes aren't freakishly huge and it can learn psychic type attacks without being psychic type, which I think is cool. That and I like the color brown. It also helps that Noctowl was one of the Pokemon to get a buff in the newer gens, so that's nice!

Stantler- I love deer, the psychic bit again is pretty cool

Chikorita line- (it's not just Johto stuff, I swear) Freaking love Chikorita et al. Always have.

Oshawott line- I like Dewott the most, but this line doesn't get a lot of love and I honestly never understood why. It's a samurai otter. Admittedly, I was a bit disappointed with Samurott, but the design has grown on me. Love their scalchops!
Same here with Noctowl. I love its speed as well. And it's shiny form is nice. Hunted for one in X version and it's one of my favorites to use.

Muk and Magmar -- I just love how you can teach them unexpected moves and the latters speed is pretty good.

Bellsprout -- Really like its moveset and speed.

Last edited: