1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have received legal notice about the sharing of certain images for Pokémon Sword & Shield. Due to this, we have a new rule. If you post said images, you will be removed from the forums until 15:00 UTC on November 14th 2019. We have also killed the leak discussion threads for the time being. Thank you for your patience during this. If you have any queries, use the contact form
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon you never realized characters had.

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by shoz999, May 26, 2019.

1. shoz999

shoz999 Thorton hears a battle

This is sort of a "Did you Know" version focusing on Pokemon that people don't realize that trainers had. You can talk about the games, manga, anime etc. I'll start with a well-known character, Johanna.

In the Pokemon anime, Johanna is known as the mother of Dawn and she has a Glameow. Most fans often associate Johanna in-general to Glameow and the thing is this Glameow even appears in the Pokemon Adventures manga, some fans thinking it's a little nod to the anime.

[​IMG]

In the manga, Lucas & Dawn are named Diamond & Platinum. Johanna is the mother to Diamond while Platinum is the daughter of researchers like in the games if you chose the male option. What fans may not realize is that those who continue reading the manga will find out that Johanna actually has a Kangaskhan.

[​IMG]

This may seem like a creative choice exclusive to the manga but in fact this is actually Johanna's signature Pokemon in the games. Glameow is a Pokemon recognizable from the anime but Johanna's Glameow has never actually appeared in the games. Johanna's Kangaskhan on the other hand is actually her canon Pokemon in the games who is nicknamed Jumpy and you can actually challenge this Kangaskhan by challenging your own mother in the Pokemon Super Contests at Master Rank. Surprisingly not a lot of people know about this and it's most likely that many of them didn't invest a lot of time into the Super Contests, assuming that Johanna's signature Pokemon throughout the series was Glameow based on the anime. So were you surprised or did you already knew about this?

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  2. AvatarKorrina

I didn't remember that Grace (the Kalos protagonists' mom) had a Fletchling until I visited the house again last week and saw it inside. It seemed like a very odd choice of Pokemon for her since she was a Rhyhorn racer, and Fletchling doesn't fit the theme.

BTS_fan and shoz999 like this.
  3. shoz999

shoz999 Thorton hears a battle

Outside of the Professor's intro, it's the first Pokemon you see in the XY games after you finished naming your character, bumping you into the head to wake you up. It's also quite a consistent Pokemon as it appears as one of Grace's Pokemon in the anime and as one of Y's Pokemon in the Adventures manga, Y or Yvonne being the manga counterpart to Serena of the games who is also the daughter of Grace.

4. Leonhart

Leonhart Well-Known Member

I tend to forget which Pokemon the villainous team leaders use since they're generally only fought during the main storyline a few times. For instance, I didn't even realize until recently that Manyula (Weavile) is Akagi's (Cyrus) ace Pokemon. I was under the impression that his ace was Donkarasu (Honchkrow) in D/P/Pt all along. I also didn't remember that he even owned a Crobat.

shoz999 likes this.
  5. Ignition

Ignition Obliterated a god with the power of friendship

I forget most of Ghetsis’ Pokèmon bar his ace Hydreigon so I shocked when he sent out Cofragrigus, Bisharp, Bouffalant, Seismitoad, and Eelektross (and Drapion in the sequels).

BTS_fan and shoz999 like this.
  6. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member Moderator

Sometimes I forget that Ash had caught a Beedrill but then gave it away to Casey who was never seen again in the main anime and she never used it during her sole Chronicles appearance so we never really got to see what it was like in battle or even how strong it was.

shoz999 likes this.
  7. BTS_fan

BTS_fan Banned

I don't remember a single Pokemon that the Chatelaines had in Gen 6. I fought each of them once each in X and OR, but none of their Pokemon were worth remembering lol. I also forget half of Hugh's team.

shoz999 likes this.