• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon you prefer NOT shiny

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
So I've got some friends who are soft resetting for a shiny Poipole. The name Poipole made me laugh at how much it sounds like a New Yorker saying purple, and then I realized I don't really care for Poipole and Naganadel's shiny colors. I like them much better as purple Pokemon.

So what Pokemon, if given the choice between the two, would you actually rather have NOT shiny? Like it's not even a discussion of "it's a bad shiny" but rather "I prefer the original". The more I think about this there are quite a few.

For example:
I actually think I prefer regular Suicune to shiny Suicune. The purple mane vs. the blue on the shiny doesn't matter to me but the main blue color on shiny Suicune looks kind of washed out.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
A million times yes regarding Salamence! The green shiny color isn't offensive to me (like technically green but more like ew Jolteon), but I much prefer blue

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Litten line.

Oh how I wish the red was white instead of the black...

AmethystLeslie

God, I need to make a proper list later on shinies i thought look awful, basically.

But honestly, any shiny Eeveelution that isn't Eevee. I hatched a shiny Eevee and I'm honestly debating whether to evolve it or not. Eevee is the only member of its family where I love its shiny. Sylveon's alright, and I've had times where i couldn't tell if Umbreon was shiny or not (for some reason, I never notice the accent color changes), and the rest are either boring or bad.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
I'd have to agree and say I'm not a fan of Espeon's shiny either. Leafeon's is rather lackluster as well. While I think Noibat's shiny is adorable, Noivern's just doesn't sit right with me. Another I'll mention for now is Ursaring's snot green color. I think it could've looked really cool to make it black or white instead like black bears or polar bears, respectively.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
For me specifically: Bruxish and Octillery. I really hate their shinies.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Castform, for the fact that its forms don't have a shiny

Naganadel. I recently soft resetted for shiny Poipole because its shiny form is AMAZING. But I refuse to evolve it because I don't think Naganadel's works for it. I'm eternally thankful I looked at Naganadel's and didn't evolve Poipole.

Ambyssin

Winter can't come soon enough
Espeon is pretty much the poster child for that one. I mean, I find its neon-green shiny amusing, but the pink suits it so much better. Along those lines, I'm honestly not that big a fan of Kanto Ninetales' shiny, either. Shiny Vulpix is really nice; it has this golden coloration that gives it a warm, sunshine feeling. Ninetales looks like someone spilled a makeup kit on it.

Echo Nacyl

Most (not all) Pokemon that turn pink or yellow as shinies. Particular examples include Virizion, Moltres, Ampharos, Floatzel, and Krookodile.
It won't stop me from hunting them, but my "main" one will usually be a non-shiny.

One notable exception is Drifblim--I like that one's colors equally.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Another terrible shiny is Ditto. Why? Because it's whole gimmick causes it to lose the shininess via Transform

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
One shiny I don't like that a lot of people do is shiny Greninja. I can see why they went for those colours and it does look good but I just don't like it, I much prefer normal Greninja. Another I don't like is Mega Garchomp because the pink does not suit it at all, not that regular Garchomp had a good shiny to begin with. Others are Bruxish, Espeon, Moltres, Solgaleo and Lunala, Marshadow and Krookodile. Bruxish could have had an amazing shiny but instead they made it look like pizza, I quite liked Espeon in the earlier games but it XY and later I think it looks horrible, Moltres looks like it's had all its feathers plucked which is ever a good look, Solgaleo and Lunala just do not suit the red colours at all, Marshadow is the most pathetic shiny there is, and Krookodile not having its burglar mask (and visible beady eyes) looks terrible in comparison to its normal form.

There are also a LOT of other Pokemon I don't like shiny but those are for reasons like the colours not looking as good as previous evolutions (Crobat, Dragonite and Nidoqueen for example) or just don't change enough to be worth it (regular Garchomp, Persian and Gengar (although Mega Gengar looks amazing)) and I wouldn't mind using one if I found them. The above lot though (excluding Greninja), I will never use shiny.

EDIT: Forgot about shiny Weavile. I liked it in sprite form but the dark reddish pink is absolutely awful. My shiny Sneasel will be staying a Sneasel. I like its pink colour, wish Weavile kept it too.

Last edited:

Luthor

Shiny Alolan Vulpix given its so hard to identify the shiny one. It's slightly better after evolving but before its really hard to see. For me if you can't tell if its shiny its not interesting enough to seek out.

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Shiny Alolan Vulpix given its so hard to identify the shiny one. It's slightly better after evolving but before its really hard to see. For me if you can't tell if its shiny its not interesting enough to seek out.

I think shiny Regice is even worse in that regard-harder to determine, and you need to put actual effort since it's a legendary