• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon you will defend to the grave

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I decided to make a more lighthearted thread this time.

This is where you can talk about Pokemon that are looked down upon (and maybe they aren't all that great anyway), but you like them, and you will vouch for them.

I have some marine examples.

(Regular) Corsola- This is a Pokemon I have stated that I love so much that it's almost a meme at this point (at least that's what I was aiming for). It's supposed to colonize and provide homes for smaller Pokemon, which is really neat. It's stats aren't that great, but it's distribution is interesting and it gets some interesting moves to go with it. Also, it's adorable, and so cheery. I like the Galarian form as well, in that "poor thing got all sad" type of way, but I like the regular form a bit more. Now if only it could use the Everstone item.

Huntail and Gorebyss- I always liked diving in Hoenn, and I found Clamperl to be a quite interesting Pokemon design wise. You can evolve it to these two deep water fish, which doesn't make too much sense, but hey, last time it was a fish becoming a mollusk, why not reverse this time? I guess I like these Pokemon because like Clamperl, they have interesting designs, and I really just like them for what they are suppose to represent.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Any starter from Gen 4 onwards that gets flak for being “furry bait”. Overall I prefer the later 4 generations’ starters to the first 4’s. I think they’re all creative concepts with neat inspirations. This especially goes for the fire starters who are always receiving hate for being on two legs.

I’ll also defend the elemental monkeys. They’re cute/cool and nice choices for a Gen 5 play through. I don’t understand the immense hatred people have for them.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
A lot of the pokémon I like are the more unpopular ones. A few I've thought of:

- Volbeat and illumise. A lot of people really hate these two, and I guess I kind of get that they're annoying to encounter but not so nice to actually use (especially when house-rules like no evasion allowed are applied), but I guess these are some of the pokemon that kind of grew on me by bugging me a lot. Plus, fireflies are cool, and I enjoy pokemon with culture references in their designs, so a greaser and flapper bug couple are kind of neat. And I've always found illumise adorable since I first saw it, so there's that too.

- Spinda. Similarly to volbeat, it's annoying, but it kind of looped all the way to being amusingly annoying in hindsight. I enjoy its dopey personality, plus, it reminds me of Route 113, which has one of the most memorable atmospheres and themes of Hoenn's environments.

- Snubbull. It seems a lot of people find it ugly, but honestly, it'll always be the number one dog pokémon with me, figuratively and literally (it's the first real dog in the dex, the ones before it are either foxes or shishi hybrids), I find its fairy-ish toy dog aesthetic appealing, and balances its surly bulldog character in a neat way. Not to mention that Madam Muchmoney's snubbull's original story arc is one of my favourite go-to examples against the claim that Pokémon is a game about animal cruelty.

- Purugly. Much like snubbull, it's often shunned as the ugly member of the cat pokémon crew, but the first pokémon I trained in anticipation of it evolving was glameow. I remember Mars's purugly seeming badass when I first encountered it, and wanting one of my own. I guess there's something about the grouchy pet pokémon that makes me like them, as it's kind of got a similar charm to snubbull, really. Though I've got to say, I definitely think it looks more admirable in its gen 4 sprites than any of the official out-of-game art.

- Aromatisse. I don't favour this one as much as the ones above, and I certainly prefer spritzee to it, but I don't think aromatisse deserves the heaps of flack it gets. Like, yeah it doesn't look all that bird-like, but it is a fairy pokémon, not a bird pokémon, and sure the evolution doesn't lean into the plague doctor allusion all that much, but spritzee's plague doctor reference was pretty subtle to begin with, so aromatisse just follows suit. I think I might like it more than others because I liked watching Get Smart when I was younger, and this burlesque-dancing doctor pokémon always reminds me of Dr. Simon.

And the one pokémon I will undoubtedly defend to the grave is:

- Caterpie. My absolute favourite pokémon since gen 1. Sure, no one likes to use it because it's one of the most ineffective pokémon in battle ever, but I've always loved caterpillars, and this one is an utter darling. So no being mean to caterpie, y'hear?!

Leonhart

Imagineer
I would defend most of my favorite Pokemon from criticism including Flygon, Latios, and Lugia among others, although admittedly, I rarely ever have to speak up about them considering that I rarely see any negative comments regarding them.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Vanillite. It gets a lot of flak, along with other more recent pokemon, for just being googly eyes on an inanimate object. But I think its more than that. It has a really unique design, and doesn't feel as unnecessarily busy as some Gen V pokemon because it reflects the irregular shapes of glaciers, and the concept of adorably huge ice creams.

Not to mention, it has quite a good competitive niche, being a snow warning user without a 4* weakness and quite a few useful moves (taunt, light screen, freeze dry, iron defence and substitute). Or it can use weak-armour to become a surprisingly fast sweeper. People forget that two blizzards in hail is about a 50/50 chance to get a freeze, which can be pretty dangerous in doubles.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
GLIIIIIISSSCCCCOOOOOORRRRRR
it’s too beautiful for words to describe. truly an underrated mon.
also, Alcremie. I love that thing.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
I have a few.

1. Delphox. I have defended it since day one and I will still defend it to this day. It's one of my favourite Fire starters and do not think it deserved the flak it got. A lot of the arguments against it can also be applied to Braixen, yet it gets away with it for some reason. I will always be here to support the other Kalos starters since it's upsetting they're overshadowed by Greninja and still are now.

2. The Ultra Beasts. All of them. They still sometimes get flak for "not looking like Pokemon", but the whole point of them is to look out of place and I actually really like that. They're some of the most creative things to come out of Pokemon for a while in my opinion and some of them have really cool design origins. I just wish they were appreciated more and I hope it gets expanded on (Likely won't though...).

wanderist

Someone
Meganium. Chikorita was my starter in Soulsilver when I was getting back into Pokemon and my adorable flower dinosaur thing (along with the line in general) was one of the factors of me loving the series again. It's always sad to see people dunking on the line saying it's horrible. I remember it was even trending on Twitter some time back over the "worst starter" argument. Megi may not be a one-shotting beast, but mine was always reliable and never let me down.

Same with the Popplio line. Popplio is absolutely adorable and I love it to pieces. Wasn't a fan of Primarina at first, but once I warmed up to it I loved it too. I know it's hard to compete with Rowlet and Litten because both of them are cute too, but Popplio's my favorite of the three.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Chespin.

But at this point, everyone knew that already lol

Any starter from Gen 4 onwards that gets flak for being “furry bait”. Overall I prefer the later 4 generations’ starters to the first 4’s. I think they’re all creative concepts with neat inspirations. This especially goes for the fire starters who are always receiving hate for being on two legs.

I'm kind of the same boat, except it'd be from Gen 3 onwards for me. With a few exceptions, I like all of them way more than the "original" starters

Charmeleon. Was and always will be my favorite Pokemon. I know Charmander and Charizard outshine him but he's my all-time favorite.

Darkrai. I know is a very popular Pokemon, but many criticize it for its "edgy" appearance.

Red and Blue

I'll forever defend Greedent. It's one of my favorite early route Rodent Pokemon despite the dislike it gets from the fandom

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Charmeleon. Was and always will be my favorite Pokemon. I know Charmander and Charizard outshine him but he's my all-time favorite.
Charmeleon is one of my favorite middle stage pokémon. Shame Charizard doesn't keep its color. Smash Bros showed it worked really well.

Armaldo. Haven't seen much hate towards it though, it seems like most people are pretty neutral towards it. But its been my favorite pokemon ever since gen 3 launched.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
Pikachu’s a great face of Pokemon, and I don’t care if you hipsters think it’s “too mainstream”; it’s still one of my favorites :3

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I would also vouch for Venomoth and Frosmoth, being my two favorite moths.
I really like moth Pokemon in general, but I really like these two moths.
They are both very pretty, and they bring out the majestic side of the otherwise "creepy crawly" type.

Dustox is a cool moth, but I don't think being pretty is it's forte. It mainly looks like a happy-go-lucky menace.

I also like Volcanrona, but I hardly hear any hate on it.

Xionea

Half a centaur
I got two that generally get a bad rep that I love to death.

Klefki. Often criticized for being the one that is associated with "Boy, they've really run out of ideas, huh?" But when you read it's dex entry about how it steals keys and jingles them threateningly at opponents, I can't help but find it absolutely adorable.

Maractus. Mostly hated for its obscurity and general pathetic moveset. But like, look at it's mouth! It's so cute, and look at how Maractus shimmies! How in the world can you possibly hate it?

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Adding Sunflora to my list too.

Like, it's very much a one-trick pony with sunny Solar Beam, and while it gets Sludge Bomb, there are a number of Grass/Poison Pokemon that can make better use of it, but you know what? It's adorable, and I have fond memories of taking it on my Pokewalker while walking through a outdoor plant nursery.