• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon you wished Ash caught

Status
Not open for further replies.

Respawnzer

Toaru NT 13 hype
I don't know if I should post this here or Anime Polls and I couldn't find any tread on this subject but what are some of the Pokemon you wished Ash could have caught on his journey and why. No main legendaries. "Low-tier" and "Mid-tier" legendaries such as bird trio, Latias and Latios are allowed. (basically the ones that could have multiples of them)

I personally would've wanted him to have caught a Lucario (big aura fan) mainly to delve a little more on the aura topic. Latias too because of their strong connection—mainly Latias' affection to Ash. These two are movie based I know, (though Riley introduced aura in the anime) however, one can only dream.

Red and Blue

Hands down Lucario. The 8th movie and DP established that Ash has a connection to Aura. Giving him a Rilou/Lucario would have been a perfect way to flesh out that aspect of his character. But they just seemed to drop that subplot for no reason. I'm hoping that one day in the future the writers give Ash a Lucario or Rilou

I'd toss in Haunter as well. Have no idea why Ash never officially caught it.

ShadowForce720

I say Sandshrew because it looks cool, Houndour because of the episode "Hour of the Houndour", Ledyba because it looks cool, same with Electrike, Eevee because It looks cool and it would be interesting to see which eeveelution it would evolve into, Spoink because of the Spoink that kept losing its pearl and the gag that it had, Weedle because Ash would of caught the first Weedle he saw if the samurai didn't distract him, Trapinch because of it being able to evolve into a Flygon and it looks cool and plus a Flygon helped Ash in Movie 6 and they seem to make a great team, Poochyenna, Zigzagoon, and Wingull because they look cool, Bagon because it looks cool and plus it evolves into Salamance, Dratini because it would be cool to see how he would take care of it, Rilou/Lucario pretty much the same reasons every one else wants it looks cool and the whole aura thing, Pontya, and Bliztle because they look cool, Mareep because it looks cool, Venipede because it looks cool and I like it's evolution, All of the fossil pokemon because they look cool, Spinrak because it looks cool, Ralt (Gallade line) because it looks cool, Honedge,Noibat,Bergmite,Skrelp, Clauncher, Skiddo because they look cool, Larvitar because it looks cool and I would like him to have one that he can actually keep,Yanma because it looks cool, all of the starters that he is missing because they look cool, Aron because it looks cool, Ryhorn because it looks cool and he can ride it, Magikarp because it can evolve into Gyarados,Tentacool because it looks cool, Carvannah,Deino,Pawnaird,Zoura,Purrloin,Sableye,Speal,Snover,Cubachu,Deerling,Drarumaka,Drifloon,Litwick,Duskull,Nincada because they look cool ,Scyther because it evolves into Siczor, Larvesta because it looks cool, Klink, Girafarig,beldum,Shroomish,Porygon,Axew, and Ferroseed because they look cool, Skarmory because it looks cool and that's it yeah sorry if a lot of them is just because I think it's looks cool it's just hard to come up a reason for all of them.

nickdt

A shiny Mienfoo. Ash needs another shiny. Its team for it. But also Drapion would have been a good pokemon for him. I also would have loved for him to got a Luxio, but we all now he is never going to get another Electric Type. Back in the day, i hoped Ash catched a Slakoth - Vigoroth. Instead he got Snorunt - Glalie which was also fine for me.

For him to catch in Kalos, i want Honedge. It is a pokemon that covers most of the weaknesses his current team has and because it gives him two new types.

Last edited:

Respawnzer

Toaru NT 13 hype
Hands down Lucario. The 8th movie and DP established that Ash has a connection to Aura. Giving him a Rilou/Lucario would have been a perfect way to flesh out that aspect of his character. But they just seemed to drop that subplot for no reason. I'm hoping that one day in the future the writers give Ash a Lucario or Rilou

I'd toss in Haunter as well. Have no idea why Ash never officially caught it.

Exactly! Even I would have been fine with a Medicham back then. Since it stated that Medicham can detect others Aura. But then again I guess you really can't expect too much from Pokemon with it being a kids show and its notorious lack of continuity.

ShadowForce720

Exactly! Even I would have been fine with a Medicham back then. Since it stated that Medicham can detect others Aura. But then again I guess you really can't expect too much from Pokemon with it being a kids show and its notorious lack of continuity.

It does have some continuity because past events have been recalled before and starting with XY Ash no longer Pokedex's pokemon that he should already know about instead he only Pokedex's the ones that he is seeing for the first time or doesn't know about while Serena Pokedex's the other pokemon.

phanpycross

God-king
The venipede from BW 22 would have been glorious.

A DP Evolution like Yanmega, lickilicky, Rhyperior, or dusknoir.

Any gen 2 pokemon, including legends.

Respawnzer

Toaru NT 13 hype
It does have some continuity because past events have been recalled before and starting with XY Ash no longer Pokedex's pokemon that he should already know about instead he only Pokedex's the ones that he is seeing for the first time or doesn't know about while Serena Pokedex's the other pokemon.

But in XY episode 30 he Pokedex's Lucario which he should have known from prior to the series... Plus, he never mentions (not that I recall) his times with said Pokemon and their trainers. Even Best Wishes! Ash remembered Charizard because of the Kanto festival (still don't know why the writers even bothered bringing Charizard back, thought it was a waste). I know it was an arc featuring Korinna but still... Anyways a bit off topic to the thread.

Speaking of XY I guess I really want to see him with Honedge or Phantump mainly because I just want to see how the writers would utilise them.

ShadowForce720

But in XY episode 30 he Pokedex's Lucario which he should have known from prior to the series... Plus, he never mentions (not that I recall) his times with said Pokemon and their trainers. Even Best Wishes! Ash remembered Charizard because of the Kanto festival (still don't know why the writers even bothered bringing Charizard back, thought it was a waste). I know it was an arc featuring Korinna but still... Anyways a bit off topic to the thread.

Speaking of XY I guess I really want to see him with Honedge or Phantump mainly because I just want to see how the writers would utilise them.

So he Pokedex's one pokemon that he should have known big deal it doesn't mean that their is a continuity especially since in XY that was the only time he Pokedex's a pokemon he should have known and plus another thing that is proves that there is a continuity is that in episode 60 Serena had Flashbacks, and in episode 64 when Fennekin was evolving there was more Flashbacks.

Oh it and he should of caught that Ferrow back in the episode Pidgeotto evolves into Pidgeot.

Last edited:

MattySadler

Jeez, so many Pokemon I can think of. Since you specified "caught", I won't go into which Pokemon of Ash's I wish had evolved...

I'll just list a few:

Gen 1

If my memory serves me correctly, after Butterfree and Primeape departed, and Muk was permanently Oak'd due to its stench, Ash only had five Pokemon on hand for a large portion of the Kanto series. Some candidates I wanted to utilise that spot:

I'm always a fan of aspects of the games being used in the anime series. One such aspect was the orphaned Cubone from RBY, that could've been a great character. Similarly, the Game Corner has never been touched upon in the games, and I was so proud when I saved up enough coins to buy one of my favourite Pokemon, Porygon. Obviously, we all know why Porygon hasn't appeared, but still, things could've been different. Also, there was a Dugtrio you could catch in Diglett's Cave that I always caught, I wanted Ash to catch one, though admittedly probably not the easiest Pokemon to have on the main cast. From a more personal point of view, when I played Blue in '98, a Sandshrew/ Sandslash was one of the stars of my team and I always wanted Ash to have one as well. I always wanted Ash to have a Clefairy, one like Isamu Akai's could've been great. The anime Jigglypuff could've been a great team member, as could a Poliwag/ Poliwhirl/ Poliwrath like Red's. Ash's Haunter, if actually "officially" caught, oozed personality and could've been a really good character.

On the topic of Red's Pokemon, whilst I always liked Pidgeotto/ Pidgeot, maybe an Aerodactyl could've been more interesting?

Also, Eevee and an Eeveelution, even if it didn't evolve until one of the later Eeveelutions had been released, could've been a good character.

Gen II

When Baby Pokemon were introduced in Gen II, I wanted Ash to get one. Specifically, I wanted Ash to get a Smoochum that would eventually become a Jynx. I think it could've been made into quite a funny character. Sudowoodo was a big part of the Johto region, similarly to Snorlax, and I used to want Ash to have one.

I always thought Hitmontop would've suited Ash and could've entered in P1 Grand Prix's like Primeape. I really wanted Ash to get an Aipom, so I suppose I was appeased later on, but I feel Ash's actual Aipom was a bit disappointing as a character.

Gen III

Right. For a start, I've always been a fan of Ash getting all three starters. That is just me and what I like. On top of this, I thought Torkoal and Corphish were absolutely rubbish and definitely my least favourite of all of Ash's Pokemon, so Torchic and Mudkip.

I wanted Ash to catch a Wurmple/ Silcoon/ Beautifly at the start to sorta mimic Butterfree, but May did and I can't really complain about it tbh. The anime Spoink character could've been a good addition.

Kecleon, Volbeat and Duskull were the first three Gen III Pokemon I ever saw, and I was tricked by a friend into believing they were the new starter Pokemon and that they'd scrapped the Grass/ Fire/ Water thing. I wanted Ash to get all three. Looking back, Kecleon and Duskull could've made good characters, but Volbeat though? No chance, that would've been rubbish. I didn't like Gardevoiir so I didn't want it to evolve, but Ralts on Ash's team was something I wanted.

Until Goomy/ Sliggoo/ Goodra, I've never actually wanted Ash to own a final stage pseudo-legendary, but I wanted him to own a Bagon. That could've been a great character.

Gen IV

Piplup, just based on my whole starter thing. I have nothing against Buizel though.

I like Cranidos and, provided it didn't evolve, I think that could've worked well for Ash. Riolu/ Lucario is going to be a popular choice and yeah, it could've worked. The problem is though, I think once Ash gets one and starts getting into the whole Aura thing, I don't think he'll be able to "Oak" it without risking epic fan backlash, meaning he is stuck with Pikachu and Lucario permanently and only has four spaces for other Pokemon.

I still think the anime Hippopotas should've been captured.

Gen V

I really wanted Ash to get a Vanillite/ Vanillish/ Vanilluxe as it was my favourite Gen V Pokemon. Failing that, I'd have settled for a Cubchoo. Similarly, I really liked Litwick/ Lampent/ Chandelure and Solosis/ Duosion/ Reuniclus.

I've never, ever, ever agreed with characters owning legendary Pokemon (even in my games!), but I do think if Ash was ever going to own one, it should've been Meloetta.

That is about it for Gen V really. I liked the Pokemon that Ash actually caught to begin with, I just wish more had been done with them. That is about evolutions though, not captures, so I won't go into it!

Gen VI and beyond...

For similar reasons to Torchic, Mudkip and Piplup, I'm sure in the future I'll look back and wish Ash had Chespin and Fennekin. For similar reasons to Wurmple/ Silcoon/ Beautiful, I wanted Ash to own a Scatterburg/ Spewpa/ Beautifly, particularly that anime one that appeared.

I also really like Phantump, Bergmite, Honedge/ Doublade/ Aegislash and Tyrunt. I'd definitely not want Phantump, Bergmite or Tyrunt to evolve though.

I doesn't suit Ash at all, but Swirlix/ Slurpuff is ridiculously cute and I'd love one to be on the main cast. Much better than that awful Dedenne thing.

Respawnzer

Toaru NT 13 hype
So he Pokedex's one pokemon that he should have known big deal it doesn't mean that their is a continuity especially since in XY that was the only time he Pokedex's a pokemon he should have known and plus another thing that is proves that there is a continuity is that in episode 60 Serena had Flashbacks, and in episode 64 when Fennekin was evolving there was more Flashbacks.

Oh it and he should of caught that Ferrow back in the episode Pidgeotto evolves into Pidgeot.

Not to burst your bubble but he also Pokedex's Surskit, Rhyhorn, and Gardevoir Pokemon he should've known about.

Although I agree with XY episode 60, I can't really say anything about XY episode 64 since I have yet to see it (waiting for a good english sub). I guess what I'm trying to say is that while the continuity within the XY series is good, other series tend to be left out or forgotten.

EDIT: I shouldn't have mentioned continuity on this thread for that I apologize

Last edited:

ShadowForce720

Not to burst your bubble but he also Pokedex's Surskit, Rhyhorn, and Gardevoir Pokemon he should've known about.

Although I agree with XY episode 60, I can't really say anything about XY episode 64 since I have yet to see it (waiting for a good english sub). I guess what I'm trying to say is that while the continuity within the XY series is good, other series tend to be left out or forgotten.

Yeah although that's true I think the biggest one that we can say that threw continuity out the window for the most part was Black&White it wasn't until the end that it started mention past events.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
Sandshrew (Fully Evolved into Sandslash) in Kanto
Larvitar (Fully Evolved into Tyranitar) in Johto
Absol in AG
Aura Sphere Riolu in DP
Braviary (Caught In Place of Unfezant) in BW
Noibat (Fully Evolved into Noivern) in XY

kanto---sandslash rhydon and arcanine

jhoto---ampharos houndoom and scizor

hoenn---breloom aggron flygon

sinnoh---electivire gallade lucario

unova---darmanitan zoroark bisharp

raichu27

Rhyhorn, Jolteon, Chandelure(catches it from its first stage), Electivire, Skuntank, Aerodactyl, Marill, Nidoran (M), Metagross, Sneasel, Rampardos, Tentacruel, Wooper, Machop, and many more...

Respawnzer

Toaru NT 13 hype
I wanted Ash to get the Riolu from the ranger special. :3

I think a fair majority of us (I'm talking about the ones who want Ash to have a Lucario) wanted that Riolu to be captured. Though granted it, would pretty much mess up the entire story of that episode. With Riolu having to defend the village and what not.

Ballzeh

Kanto => Hitmonlee / Scyther

Johto => nothing else except i would have loved if he kept the Larvitar ... :(

Hoenn => Definitively Sableye ! As this Pokemon appears to be weak, it would have been great for Ash ! Cause he likes to take "weak" Pokemon with him and make them strong (as he did with Chimchar in DP).

Sinnoh => DAMMIT ASH ! Why didnt you keep that Riolu with you...

Unova => Zorua / Pawniard (then Bisharp) / Larvesta (then Volcarona)

Status
Not open for further replies.