• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon's life span

milenadrg

Well, if a Pokemon is inside a Pokeball, they wont die.

Die in Pokeball!? Trainer can call dead Pokemon!? I think it's wrong. Someone must kill Pokemon if he or she want it to die.
In other way, they cannot die i think...

chimkong

each pokemon has a life span of its own, like the old venusaur in the episode where all bulbasurs were evolving..........

Maruno

Well, if a Pokemon is inside a Pokeball, they wont die.

Die in Pokeball!? Trainer can call dead Pokemon!? I think it's wrong. Someone must kill Pokemon if he or she want it to die.
In other way, they cannot die i think...
Perhaps they're automatically ejected from the Poké Ball when they die. Simply, though, we have no idea how those devices work (nor how long pokémon live for, actually).

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
A Pokemon in a Pokeball, is kind of like a vacation resort for the Pokemon.

But we dont know whats exactly in it yet.

blackrose

I think pokemon would all live for hundreds of years, based on the ninetales episode and its a childrens cartoon, and children arent really exposed to death.

Cuthrout

If pokemon were real, then mine would be dead in a matter of hours, work em to death

Yami ookami

They're dead from the start. You just call the soul with your ballz.

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
Perhaps they're automatically ejected from the Poké Ball when they die. Simply, though, we have no idea how those devices work (nor how long pokémon live for, actually).

This would be a morbid thing to think about, but what if Pokeballs have a way of notifying the trainer if the Pokemon inside has died?

This thread makes me sad... T_T

s_a_l_poke

HeartGold+SoulSilver
What happens if a trainer smashes a ball with a Pokémon inside? Does the Pokémon come out or does it... Disappear?

Maruno

What happens if a trainer smashes a ball with a Pokémon inside? Does the Pokémon come out or does it... Disappear?
It depends how the Poké Ball is designed. However, I suspect that it has some very specific devices that deal with converting a pokémon into energy, sustaining it while storing it, and then converting it back properly. If it's suddenly destroyed, you would just have a lot of energy in the palm of your hand (or under your foot, or wherever it is) that is suddenly not being contained. Result: explosion and your pokémon is obliterated.

That's how I'd explain it, anyway. But it's the Pokéverse, which is all magical and doesn't care for technology, so it could be that the pokémon's energy simply magically reasserts itself into a pokémon automatically when its Poké Ball is destroyed.

You could also question what would happen to a pokémon if its Poké Ball is destroyed while it's outside. Is it still considered to belong to the destroyed Poké Ball, and be owned by the trainer? Is it a way to forcibly release a pokémon (such that the pokémon is now considered wild again)? If not, how could it be put into another Poké Ball, if the one it belongs to cannot capture it anymore (because it's broken)?

It seems that kind of scenario would be a nice filler episode of the anime.

Last edited:

Flamethrowa55

Is this a serious topic? ahah well playing it like pokemon were real, in the second gen. games it refers to the three legendary dogs burning in a fire, and Ho Oh reviving them, I dont know if itll answer the question or whatever aha

Yonowaru in Chaos

gaspard de la nuit
You could also question what would happen to a pokémon if its Poké Ball is destroyed while it's outside. Is it still considered to belong to the destroyed Poké Ball, and be owned by the trainer? Is it a way to forcibly release a pokémon (such that the pokémon is now considered wild again)? If not, how could it be put into another Poké Ball, if the one it belongs to cannot capture it anymore (because it's broken)?

It seems that kind of scenario would be a nice filler episode of the anime.

When Jessie released her Dustox, she also crushed Dustox's Pokeball, such that Dustox wasn't able to be returned back inside. If Jessie wanted Dustox back, I'd think that she'd be able to recatch it inside another one.

IcyDragon0605

Look over there!
I think Pokemon just live forever, this is a question that shouldn't be asked considering it's a part-kid program. Pokemon passing away just dosn't seem safe for kids....

Kenpachi

Flawless Technique
I never really thought abut this.
They said Pokemon die, and the elder Treecko in the
episode where Ash got his shows they age too.

Damn, now I'm gonna be thinking about this all night.

JolteonShock

<<Squishy loves you!
I think having Pokemon die compared to their animal counter-part isn't fair. What about bug-loveres? Are their Pokemon gonna die in two days?
The points about Pokemon being turned into energy when absorbed into the Pokeball seems...correct. You know about atoms and particules? I think that when Pokemon are called into their Pokeballs, something about the Pokeball transforms them into particules. Particules can't age, so, if you had your pokemon out for, say, 3 hours a day, then they could survive for a while if their lifespan was over a year, because three days is ridiculous. But then comes the issue of Ash's Pikachu...
Or, how about, when a Pokemon befriends you, they can become semi-immortal or something, aging like you do. In all, creatures that can withstand lighting, fire, ice, water, earthquakes, poison or stuff like that should be able to survive a LONG time.