• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PokeShipping (Ash x Misty) Discussion Thread

Jackinthebox

Misty == awesome
I must keep this thread alive

This year marks the 15th anniversary of the US release of the second movie, which was the biggest hint of all in Pokeshipping. Did any of you go see the movie when it first came out in theaters? I did. I did not realize the ramifications regarding Pokeshipping at the time though. I was only 10 when I first saw the movie, didn't become a Pokeshipper until I was 13 and the OS was about to come to an end on the US broadcast.

IF I can recall, which I'm not positive I can, I bought it on VHS maybe? I know I had the first movie. I think it had a pokemon card in it.

Last edited:

Cortana

Misty is the Best
The best region was the Orange Islands and it was just going be Ash and Misty alone and for some reason they added in Tracey. I have no idea why they did that but my guess is so that there would always be 3 companions and that fans would complain if there wasn't 3 companions, but there was an interview somewhere with the creator of Pokemon and I can't remember where but in it he said that the next generation weren't going to have any of the original characters in it to travel the new region.

The orange islands was going to finish with Ash and Misty falling in love because that whole Orange Island saga was them admitting their true feelings however a decision was made not to do that and it was re-written. I want to say to whoever made that stupid decision should have not even bothered and the only reason according to the interview was that a new protagonist wouldn't have sold the games or anime well and that they decided to stick with the ain't broke don't fix it line (paraphrasing).

I can't wait to see what they do to the 20th Anniversary but if they didn't remove the original story and re-write it then Ash and Misty would have fallen in love and Brock would have remained with Professor Ivy and Serena wouldn't have been brought in as a childhood friend.

xEryChan

Demon Child
Just to remind you guys.

Rule #5 on the first post states that one line posts are not allowed here. To clarify, a post that only contains one line of text is considered a one liner. It doesn't matter how many sentences there are. If it doesn't exceed more than one line of text, it is a one liner and therefor considered to be spam. The reasoning of this rule is explained in the Shippers Community Rules, which you all should have read before you started to post here.

I'm not going to give any warnings or infraction now because of the fact that the two posts I saw were posted in June but I just want to remind you of this rule and encourage you to use the report button if you notice any rule-breaking posts.

That's all. Carry on, Pokeshippers.

Last edited:

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
The best region was the Orange Islands and it was just going be Ash and Misty alone and for some reason they added in Tracey. I have no idea why they did that but my guess is so that there would always be 3 companions and that fans would complain if there wasn't 3 companions, but there was an interview somewhere with the creator of Pokemon and I can't remember where but in it he said that the next generation weren't going to have any of the original characters in it to travel the new region.

The orange islands was going to finish with Ash and Misty falling in love because that whole Orange Island saga was them admitting their true feelings however a decision was made not to do that and it was re-written. I want to say to whoever made that stupid decision should have not even bothered and the only reason according to the interview was that a new protagonist wouldn't have sold the games or anime well and that they decided to stick with the ain't broke don't fix it line (paraphrasing).

I can't wait to see what they do to the 20th Anniversary but if they didn't remove the original story and re-write it then Ash and Misty would have fallen in love and Brock would have remained with Professor Ivy and Serena wouldn't have been brought in as a childhood friend.

Heheh, I would've been happier with that... But it really did make more sense, from a marketing stand-point, to do what they did. And then, if it had ended like that, I doubt I would've stayed obsessed with Pokeshipping like I did. And then I never would have come up with Satsumi... Well, I'm sure I would've started shipping something else, but I'm not sure what, exactly. And I'm not sure it's a good thing that I stayed obsessed... Well, there are good things and bad things about it. But I definitely wouldn't be in the same place I am now if they'd ended the show with the Orange Islands.

Rento

Don't know if it has much sense posting this, but I hope it'll be allright. Personally I think that evolving Ash and Misty's love story would be okay provided the original series not to last for that long... 150 episodes or so would be acceptable. After the gang's splitting up, the creators ought to make a timeskip(in case of their intending to build the plot around them after). A few years, less than 5 for sure. But they drew it out over 5 damned seasons. And I'm not sure that bringing Misty back would make any positive difference to her and Ash's relationship, given the show is going the way it is currently going. Nevertheless, I like how Ash and Misty's mutual feelings were exposed. Ash was, there's no doubt, more than a good friend to Misty, but none was going to state unambigiously that she actually had a crush on him, though there were enough hints about that. It's the really pathetic thing about the original series I love it for so much. And that original drawing style... just AAAWWWWW. Moved me a lot.

Last edited:

Antiyonder

Overlord

Interesting. Though whether the show ended afterwards or continue with said development, I would still be iffy on that.

Personally, even if the show never intended for them to be a couple until say a possible finale, I'd say the pretense of Misty following him because of her bike should have been done away with much sooner than "Gotta Catch Ya Later".

Preferably way back in the Indigo Season, especially on their return to Viridian City, or at least even the end of the Orange Island since their relationship got more attention at the time.

Luthor

I have to wonder how Ash's newer friends would react to the presence of Misty back even if only for a short time. Cilan,Clemont Bonnie, Iris & Serena could all make for some very interesting interactions.

Do you think they would be helpful or a hindrance to pokeshipping?

Rento

Interesting. Though whether the show ended afterwards or continue with said development, I would still be iffy on that.

Personally, even if the show never intended for them to be a couple until say a possible finale, I'd say the pretense of Misty following him because of her bike should have been done away with much sooner than "Gotta Catch Ya Later".

Preferably way back in the Indigo Season, especially on their return to Viridian City, or at least even the end of the Orange Island since their relationship got more attention at the time.
I suppose by those points you mentioned the creators simply hadn't come up with the idea of writing main characters off. They might displace her whenever they were willing to.
I also think that maybe it'd be less painful not seeing Misty in the cast for more if the creators had concocted some more sensible rationale for her leaving the show(and not coming back in the future), as it turned out with Brock and May. I liked Brock and I miss him (yet not so much as for Misty, to be honest) but he really had to do parting because even being Ash's best friend he have still had distinct goals to pursue.

Last edited:

Antiyonder

Overlord
I suppose by those points you mentioned the creators simply hadn't come up with the idea of writing main characters off. They might displace her whenever they were willing to.

Not really. What I simply mean is that Gotta Catch Ya Later finally has Misty pretty much admitting to Ash that she really followed him had nothing to do with the bike. But I always though that particular development should have happened much sooner. Not for the sake of giving her a departure, but to deepen their friendship. And it just seemed like their return to Viridian City for the Earth Badge would have been a good chance to do so.

Rento

Not really. What I simply mean is that Gotta Catch Ya Later finally has Misty pretty much admitting to Ash that she really followed him had nothing to do with the bike. But I always though that particular development should have happened much sooner. Not for the sake of giving her a departure, but to deepen their friendship. And it just seemed like their return to Viridian City for the Earth Badge would have been a good chance to do so.

I guess by the time when Gotta Catch Ya Later was made they had not regarded Misty and Ash's relationship as essential for the show anymore for it was going to pass on to the next pokegirl, the next generation series in general. So I doubt the creators were even thinking of any 'particular development' back then or ever else since Johto began. Yet it does keep concerning me why their parting proved more sentient and touching than the other ones (at least it looked so to me) after all.

Last edited:

Antiyonder

Overlord
I guess by the time when Gotta Catch Ya Later was made they had not regarded Misty and Ash's relationship as essential for the show anymore for it was going to pass on to the next pokegirl, the next generation series in general.

Maybe so, but even then it seemed like the two following seasons actually made a big deal about his friendship with May and Dawn rather than it being this inferred thing, especially the later (though that could be due to Dawn being treated more as a co-star). It just seems that the original series lacked that for him and Misty.

Seachran

I always interpreted that the pretense was done away with on their return to Viridian City. At the end of Volcanic Panic, when Misty couldn't remember why she was arguing with him before. I mean, really, it was done away with after the first few episodes when it stopped being mentioned for such a long time. There was also The Water Flowers of Cerulean City, when it was made pretty clear she was traveling with Ash simply because she wanted to travel- and because they were friends.

Maybe so, but even then it seemed like the two following seasons actually made a big deal about his friendship with May and Dawn rather than it being this inferred thing, especially the later (though that could be due to Dawn being treated more as a co-star). It just seems that the original series lacked that for him and Misty.

I think it's better this way. The friendships with May and Dawn are different altogether, with him being much more of a mentor. Ash and Misty's relationship was slowly built up over the course of the first few seasons, it didn't seem forced, rushed, or unnatural. If writers have to try to "make a big deal about friendship," then in my opinion it's not going to be as good as the organic friendship shown in the OS.

Antiyonder

Overlord
I always interpreted that the pretense was done away with on their return to Viridian City. At the end of Volcanic Panic, when Misty couldn't remember why she was arguing with him before. I mean, really, it was done away with after the first few episodes when it stopped being mentioned for such a long time. There was also The Water Flowers of Cerulean City, when it was made pretty clear she was traveling with Ash simply because she wanted to travel- and because they were friends.

I don't know. Unless it was a dub thing, the ending of The Misty Mermaid did have her bringing up that he still owes her a bike.

Seachran

I guess it's up to personal interpretation. By that point, they had long since become close friends who enjoyed traveling together. I didn't see the bike being mentioned as actually relevant, it was just an old joke by that point.

And for the record, The Misty Mermaid and Volcanic Panic were only one episode apart.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Must keep this alive.

I think by the time the OS ended, the bike was only a minor reason Misty was still traveling with Ash. Whether she wanted to admit it or not, she was head over heels for him, and him for her. Hard to believe it's almost been 12 years since the OS ended in America. I've been a Pokeshipper for 12 years now, became one in the summer of 2003 (after I turned 13 the previous January). I've never supported any other shipping involving either one of them, and am quite proud of it. I'll never forget Gotta Catch Ya Later, and I'm sure none of you other Pokeshippers will either. For many of us, in one respect it was the end of an era. But we still persevere as time goes by. We'll never give up hope and that is what makes us strong.

Jackinthebox

Misty == awesome
Must keep this alive.

I think by the time the OS ended, the bike was only a minor reason Misty was still traveling with Ash. Whether she wanted to admit it or not, she was head over heels for him, and him for her. Hard to believe it's almost been 12 years since the OS ended in America. I've been a Pokeshipper for 12 years now, became one in the summer of 2003 (after I turned 13 the previous January). I've never supported any other shipping involving either one of them, and am quite proud of it. I'll never forget Gotta Catch Ya Later, and I'm sure none of you other Pokeshippers will either. For many of us, in one respect it was the end of an era. But we still persevere as time goes by. We'll never give up hope and that is what makes us strong.

From my point of view, it was clear where Ash and Misty were going. To be honest, I can't enjoy watch GYCL. I'm still disappointed with that ending. Regardless I can't let Pokeshipping go, regardless of the state of this thread or the anime. With life being what it is, and people often representing the worst of themselves. it's nice to think about something honest, simple and quite frankly, innocent as their relationship is.

Moonlight Starlight

Must keep this alive.

I still root for this pairing all the way never giving my hopes up for them.Also during Misty's finally episode Gotta Catch Ya Later her song really touch me giving me tears way back.

⊱✿RedAshEntropy

· MultiShipper ·
To be honest, I can't enjoy watch GYCL. I'm still disappointed with that ending.

I remember when I actually cried watching the parting scene in Gotta Catch Ya Later .XDXD I can't believe that it hit really hard in the feels for me back then , but looking back at that memory somewhat makes me little nostalgic , even up until now, but I can't deny that it's one of my fave episodes in MQ.

Zoneman29

I remember when I actually cried watching the parting scene in Gotta Catch Ya Later .XDXD I can't believe that it hit really hard in the feels for me back then , but looking back at that memory somewhat makes me little nostalgic , even up until now, but I can't deny that it's one of my fave episodes in MQ.

I was a pokeshipper too til i accept that Misty will never return as a Main Character & Long distance relationships don't last long since Ash travels to diffrent Regions & Misty is forever Gym Leader of Cerulean they still just be friends.

⊱✿RedAshEntropy

· MultiShipper ·
I was a pokeshipper too til i accept that Misty will never return as a Main Character & Long distance relationships don't last long since Ash travels to diffrent Regions & Misty is forever Gym Leader of Cerulean they still just be friends.

Sad yet true. I think the same thing too of Misty not to return as main character. I had keep that in mind though I still depend of the cameos and wishing she'll be somewhat be part of a cameo or mentions if ever. or can Ash just got to the gym and visit her?

I know it's not even November, but I'm kinda excited:
Share you ideas this upcoming Pokeshipping Day.