• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PokeShipping (Ash x Misty) Discussion Thread

Mikeachu

Soul Trainer
You're kidding... I mean, I was gonna say, just because Amour's popularity is due to its currency and the volume of hints from Serena's side, doesn't mean it's most popular, but... On the other hand, I'm assuming the Reddit crowd skews older than the current Pokemon viewers? They probably grew up watching the original series. Oh, Yoko/Kamina, I like that one! It actually really reminds me of Pokeshipping; I thought that right away when I watched the series.

If there's more Pokeshippers than Amour on /r/Anime & /r/Pokemon, then they're pretty darn quiet. At best I've seen one or two "I'm hoping Ash & Serena get together in the end but part of me still kinda he had gotten with Misty" type of comments. Past that it's been all Amour or people indifferent to shipping in general.

Honestly it probably was just luck of the draw in opponents. Amour was pitted against the married couple from I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying, which....yeah I would've voted for that couple over Poke as well. That pregnancy test scene alone tops anything Pokemon ever did in the feelz department.

EDIT: Browsing /r/Pokemon today I'm seeing a number of couples posting their Ash/Misty Halloween costumes. A couple of Brocks here & there but no lone past gen 1.

Last edited:

Shooti

Uber Trainer
If it was any other anime I would have believed that 2 main characters kissing each other would canonize the involved shipping, but since it's pokemon whose primary aim is advertisement, even a kiss doesn't make a ship canon. However, it does make it closer to canon than other rival ships if Serena is not forgotten and continuity is maintained in Sun and Moon for which I'm really dubious about.

The only way a ship can become canon is through a time-skip kinda hinted by a lost trailer of the first movie which apprarently showed a grown up Misty her sisters and a little girl. I doubt that Pokemon would do that in the next 10-15 years since they have never done it till now. They would continue with a 10 year old Ash meeting with new companions in new regions for as long as they can.

I believe a rival shipping becoming 100% canon shouldn't stop you from supporting your own ship. Harry/Ginny becoming canon didn't stop Harry/Hermione fans from shipping them and arguably has more fan-activity on the internet than their canon rival ship in Harry Potter universe.

It's obvious that Pokeshipping is still the most popular ship till this day. I tell you if Misty is ever announced as returning, there will be a surge of things. She'll be a trending topic, Tumblr would explode like they did with the Ash/Misty video.

It's definitely not the most popular at all. You would think a big moment like Serena kissing Ash would be a big 10,000 + note thing, nope 5,000. While the video of Ash/Misty's English dub VA's driving in a car and with the voices has over 20,000 notes. Numbers don't lie.

Which ship is most popular on an ever so expanding place called internet is highly debatable and for me it depends on which site you are on. I agree with you that on tumblr Pokeshipping is the most popular ship to this day, and I could say the same with sites like fanfiction.net, devianart.com etc. But I spend most of my time on youtube and I can assure you Pokeshipping isn't the most popular shipping there.

So... We've been pretty quiet, considering recent events (i.e. Serena kissing Ash). Even the Amourshippers noticed.

So I just wanted to say, don't get too discouraged! I mean, yeah, it upsets me, but none of this means that Amour is canon or that Poke is sunk.

Beause it was almost all from Serena's side. Ash was definitely moved by what she did, but he didn't act as if he reciprocated her feelings. There's a lot of talk about how his eyes sparkled, but just because he was touched and happy that someone he thinks a lot of likes him, doesn't mean his feelings are the same. He didn't blush and it seemed like he didn't really know how to respond at first; seemed kinda shocked to me. Interesting that he didn't act that way until she actually kissed him, as opposed to when she confessed... Anyway, that think about him moving his foot? Yeah, she was leaning on him. He probably had to balance to keep them both from falling. You could look at the kiss as kind of an anti-hint, the anti-hint, for Amour (though I'm certainly not saying that that's the most valid interpretation or anything).

And that brings me to Poke. Misty's still the only girl who he got jealous over and super-embarrassed about. One commenter on Youtube said that if Misty had done what Serena did, Ash would've blown his top, and yeah, I agree. The thing that really bugs me with what happened is, what do the writers intend for it? Are they giving it a hopeful spin?

But then, Ash's Japanese voice actress still cares about Misty and her relationship with Ash. Maybe the writers will let her decide who he ends up with (I mean, I know of at least one time where that happened in a show; I think sometimes writers feel like the voice actor embodies the character). And many of the same writers who wrote Poke are still there. Maybe they wanted to ship Ash with someone because it makes for a cute and interesting character and dynamic (and good ratings XD), but they didn't want Ash to feel the same. I remember how, even after Misty left, the writers kept focusing on her relationship with Ash in her special episodes. Clearly, they didn't intend to show that she'd felt friendzoned or gotten over it. In fact, they made it a point to say that she hadn't. Which really surprised me, actually; wouldn't it have been easier, and more in line with Pokemon's general tone, to have her be fine with leaving? I man, Pokemon's a show where everyone's friends forever and confident about that; to have Misty so hung up on it and conflicted about what to do said to me that no, what we saw in her wasn't just us, that it really was written into her character... and that she and her relationship with Ash were important enough to them that they didn't want to have her get over it and bounce back right away. And I keep thinking that the reason we haven't seen any hints from Ash for any other girl (nothing that couldn't be interpretted as friendship or brotherly love, anyway) is because they're sticking with their original plan-- he's meant to end up with Misty. By the way... this is probably nothing, but did anyone else notice that in the flashback to when Ash and Serena met as children, he's wearing Misty's original colors? It's probably just a coincidence, but it felt to me like the writers were kinda implying that he's still meant for her, like they were marking him as hers, almost. Some people think she'll make an appearance in Alola, since it's a water-focused region (yeah, I'm not holding my breath, either, but you never know for sure). Plus! A lot of stories like to call back to the beginning at the end, to remind the viewers of the journey, and also to imply the cyclic nature of life. If the writers of Pokemon decide to do that... yeah, it's gonna be Misty, whether they do a flash-forward and they're married, or it's just a hint at the end.

So... in the end, I think Ash's response to Serena was intentionally ambiguous. He didn't have to accept or reject her. No one had their heart broken, Amourshipping isn't sunk... but they're not ruling any other ship, either, past or present. It was the safest path they could've taken (though I really am surprised they had her kiss him on the lips; pretty racey for a kids' show, in Japan, at least!). I think a lot of it had to do with Serena's character development; the way she was written, it would've been cheating her, and the viewers who loved her, to not have her confess. It was meant to please the Amourshippers, too, but... I kind of wonder if the reason the writers didn't have Misty confess is that they didn't want to end it there, that they wanted to keep us wondering. As far as when "Gotta Catch You Later" was actually written... yeah, there's a good chance that's the case.

In the end, Ash probably won't end up with anyone. It's probably better that way. As much as I'd like Pokeshipping to be canon... at this point there are so many people so emotionally invested in different Ash ships, a lot of people would be hurt no matter who it was. Better that no one has to deal with that and we can all keep believing that Ash is most likely to end up with who we like. I guess... I mean, I'd really like to let go of it... but I don't think Poke getting sunk would help me achieve that; it'd just break my heart and make me work to minimize the importance of the canon to myself. Plus, I don't want to see Ash and Misty with a kid, since it wouldn't be Satsumi, and...

Anyway, the main point is, don't take it too hard! Nothing's really changed, in the end.

EDIT: Hey! I just realized something exciting! So, the Amourshippers are all excited because the director tweeted out that there was a hidden message from the staff to the viewers in the final XYZ episode. One fan asked if it were the baby's breath in front of Ash's home, which would symbolize eternal love, etc. So the creator said that yes, that was it... But when I looked at the scene, it's after Ash remembers all the friends and important events from his XYZ journey; the last flashback is his parting with Greninja, not Serena. So to me, that seems to be the creators telling us that the characters will be friends forever, and maybe also a sign of gratitude to from them.

But none of that's the important part. The important part is that part about baby's breath representing eternal love and all that. Guess what the Japanese word for baby's breath is? "Kasumi sou" (literally, "mist grass"). Shortened to just "kasumi" sometimes. You could say that it's just supposed to mean "mist" to refer to her relationship to water and water Pokemon. But. Misty's sisters are all named after flowers. She was the odd one out in the English, but not in the Japanese. There's no way that wasn't supposed to be a double meaning. That's a pretty strong implication that the writers intended Misty to love Ash and for them to end up together, when they wrote the original series at the very least.

So if they're showing baby's breath now... are they hinting that Misty's gonna appear soon? ...Yeah, I doubt it, too. But I don't think there's any way that it didn't call Misty to mind for them, either. Maybe it's a way of saying that she's still the one meant for Ash... or it may just be that they mean, Ash hasn't forgotten Misty (or all his old friends, but especially Misty) either. Maybe they're saying, hey, Serena may have just kissed Ash, but don't think we've forgotten Misty? Even if it's just a coincidence that they thought of that flower, I think they probably think of it as a happy accident. ...Aw!
i agee the writers dot want us to forget misty

What shipping is popular is debatable, you can't really say Amour or Poke is more popular without a massscale poll. That would show the facts.

I think Amour is the most popular ship, but that's just me. I know you guys pretty much dominated back in the old days though...

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
What shipping is popular is debatable, you can't really say Amour or Poke is more popular without a massscale poll. That would show the facts.

I think Amour is the most popular ship, but that's just me. I know you guys pretty much dominated back in the old days though...

Is most popular at the time but its most likely going down in popularity after SM airs a few episodes just like every other ship except fro Poke and pearl who are still very big in fans

Is most popular at the time but its most likely going down in popularity after SM airs a few episodes just like every other ship except fro Poke and pearl who are still very big in fans

Yeah no, you think all those AmourShippers are gonna disappear?

Poke and Amour have the two biggest fanbases and are the only two ships that can even become fully canon in my opinion.

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper

Well, yeah, we didn't have a whole lot of competition then. I get the impression that Amour is most popular in the current Pokemon community, while Poke is more popular outside it. I do think Amour will remain popular, though, since there's absolutely no other way you can interpret Serena's feelings. And because she actually kissed him.

johnermon

Memelord
lets get the disclaimer out of the way, because i dont want to be torn a new one
I have at some point supported all the ships in pokemon. poke shipping has been one of my favorites, as other then amour, it has been the only one with any substance to it. currently i am an amourshipper, but again i am a huge supporter of other ships.
now to the responding.

first and foremost, no, amourshipping is not canon im an amourshipper and i think this. serenas crush is canon, and has been canon since the beginning. amourshipping as a whole is not.

next up, at least at this point in time, amour is the most popular ship. i mean, this thread has been going on since 2009, and has 259 pages. The previous amour thread(V2) was started in 2014 and had 650 pages before being closed. the current v3 thread has around 120 pages and has around for a few months. now i know that people may say that it is due to the anime still being aired, and that poke shipping hasn't really had anything since ashes flashbacks in black and white, but this is irrelivant as these things contribute to popularity. the amourshipping community is currently the biggest. and no it wont take a huge poll to figure out the current popularity all you have to do is look at the numbers.

second of all, advanceshipping and pearlshipping still have followers because they were popular. the only ship that really wasnt popular was negaishipping, as no one really liked iris or the b/w anime. i think it is fair to assume that amourshipping will definitely keep a portion of its fanbase just based on serenas popularity, and the fact that some sort of cameo is still highly likely. i mean 4/5ths of the major ships still have active communities. you act like advanceshipping and pearlshipping are exceptions, when they are really the majority.

third, a reddit shipping contest has nothing to do with popularity. i am going to go out on a limb that most of the people on /r/anime are major anime fans. as in they watch more of the "Serious" animes. and the fact is that most of them probably remember the OS from their childhood, but probably dont keep up with the show today. as for the non vocal pokeshippers on /r/anime they probably dont talk about it because they are major anime fans, who fondly remember the OS, but dont participate in the Pokemon community

and lastly, i thought we already have debunked the flowers as representing as being gracious to everyone who made and watched the show, and that it has nothing to do with shipping. and relating it to pokeshipping is a bit of a stretch.

now i'm not attacking anyone, just stimulating discussion.

Last edited:
Don't forget the first Amour thread got more than 1000 pages.

LMAO you guys are so funny , you should rename your thread "the official Amour haters topic" , I mean... that's the only thing you can do now.

Dude.... a lot of Pokeshippers are really nice. Take Hakajin for example. Respect them...

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
Don't forget the first Amour thread got more than 1000 pages.

LMAO you guys are so funny , you should rename your thread "the official Amour haters topic" , I mean... that's the only thing you can do now.

Ok why are you assuming everyone here hatees AMour? You're not doing a better job by insulting everyone here and mocking them

KungFuMaster

KungFu Zen Mode

Okay maybe we should get out of here because we don't want to start a war. Just be calm, don't bash eachother and be friendly. We can solve it in a mature way okay?
Unless Pokeshippers come to our community to laugh at us we should stay away from eachother before someone gets hurt.

Okay let's calmly move on and not try to fight... :D

Omegaz

Captain Amourica
Okay maybe we should get out of here because we don't want to start a war. Just be calm, don't bash eachother and be friendly. We can solve it in a mature way okay?
Unless Pokeshippers come to our community to laugh at us we should stay away from eachother before someone gets hurt.

Okay let's calmly move on and not try to fight... :D

Agreed. I already posted about it on the Amour thread, but we don't want to instigate anything. There are people that hate us yes, but that doesn't mean we hate them back. Take the high road.

johnermon

Memelord
I dont hate anyone for shipping. just people who insult others for things as superficial as shipping. when i posted here, the last thing i wanted was a ship war, as that would just be a pain, and ultimately a waste of time.

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
Where have I insulted ? I just said you were funny to only talk about Amourshipping when the topic is about Pokeshipping.

Em the way you worded your thoughts sounded like a troll getting on to mock everyone in the thread even though everyone here was just giving some harmless criticism and grasping at soem straws.
But there's no reason to write comments like that
I learned that the hard way

johnermon

Memelord
oh and comments like that just serve to derail the discussion. Again. i dont want that, i want to stimulate discussions in a civil way. please dont start arguing. they have not really been bashing amourshipping. just being skeptical. skepticism is good.

EDIT - I was reffering to this post, not the last one

I though I may have misconstrued some messages, looking like an arguement. what i was really saying was not to insult the pokeshippers. sorry if i came off wrong

Last edited:

KungFuMaster

KungFu Zen Mode
oh and comments like that just serve to derail the discussion. Again. i dont want that, i want to stimulate discussions in a civil way. please dont start arguing. they have not really been bashing amourshipping. just being skeptical. skepticism is good.

If we all just leave this thread before they go to our thread and bother us, maybe that'll help?? Please leave, we have nothing to look for here and we don't want a war. We respect eachother and that's what counts.

Man it's hard if you're the only mature person on the ship

Manqoba

Shipping List Manager
Hi, a few of you might know me, but most of you don't. Regardless, it doesn't change why I'm here.

I would like to offer my sincerest apologies on the behalf of the AmourShipping community for the garbage and fighting that we have caused here tonight. This is not something that I hope for us to become, and these actions are certainly not acceptable. I hope that things can change in our community, and we can all push for unity between all Pokemon shippers.

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
Hi, a few of you might know me, but most of you don't. Regardless, it doesn't change why I'm here.

I would like to offer my sincerest apologies on the behalf of the AmourShipping community for the garbage and fighting that we have caused here tonight. This is not something that I hope for us to become, and these actions are certainly not acceptable. I hope that things can change in our community, and we can all push for unity between all Pokemon shippers.

That's fine, it's really not a big deal; that was practically nothing. I remember once going off a about Pokeshipping, a long time ago, when someone said Serena was the only gir who really loved Ash... Granted, I tried to be nice about it, what I really wanted was for Amourshippers to understand and appreciate my feelings about it, since I'd been reading a lot about theirs... I'd been feeling that way for a while, but they didn't ask for it. And some people thought I was trying to start a shipping war. Oops. But yeah, this is just one minor comment, and then about five or six people stepping up for us? I think you're good! You guys are great!

Dude.... a lot of Pokeshippers are really nice. Take Hakajin for example. Respect them...

Aw, thanks

Anyway, in response to us talking about Amour, well, it does affect us, so we're gonna speculate. And we're gonna be biased, of course. I don't think anyone goes so far as hating Amour, though... Well, some people might, but we try to discourage bashing. I mean, my attachment to Poke means I really don't want it to happen, but if it weren't for that, I wouldn't have any problem with it. It's a cute ship, objectively.

Last edited:

Mikeachu

Soul Trainer
i agee the writers dot want us to forget misty

Unfortunately I don't think I believe that. DP had the one-off appearance of Misty's lure as an easter egg, BW had her appearing in the Charizard flashbacks & the end credits cast reunion. But XY? Nothing, not a single sighting or mention of her the whole way through. The 1st region that was absolutely 100% Mistyless.

In fact XY was baffling the most anti-continuity saga in the show's history, in spite of multiple opportunities for callbacks being there. There's was no Iris or Cilan guest returns, no 20th anniversary special *coughmiragepokemoncough*, no Ash's Charizard vs. Alain's, no Gary cameo like his game counterpart did, no Misty's lure during a fishing episode, no reflection on Ash's journey to get to the finals of a league for the 1st time. The writers didn't just want us to forget Misty, they seemed to want us to forget literally everything!

PS. as a bit of side trivia Gen 6 was also the 1st game gen that Misty no showed if counting remakes & the world tournament. Purely a coincidence, but an unfortunately timed one. Gamefreak, please add grown-up Misty as 1 of the cameo trainers!