• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PokeShipping (Ash x Misty) Discussion Thread

SunGodNika1997

You can call me Tanner.
While I'm not that big of a pokeshipper myself anymore it certainly is nostalgic in a nice way. I don't want any shipping to be canon tbh but it is fun to think about time to time when it isn't turning into a toxic discussion or an obsession like with the amourshippers in this site
Yeah, I always try to be as civil as possible because the shipping side is just a fun side hobby for me at the end of the day. No hate for AmourShippers in general, but being a more recent phenomenon causes the audience to lean younger, which does make it a breeding ground for toxicity. Not to say there aren't toxic PokeShippers, but I feel like a lot of us are just too old and busy to waste our time arguing about it online. :p

While I'm not that big of a pokeshipper myself anymore it certainly is nostalgic in a nice way. I don't want any shipping to be canon tbh but it is fun to think about time to time when it isn't turning into a toxic discussion or an obsession like with the amourshippers in this site
Yeah. Its mostly just meant as cute and harmless fun for the most part. Some people just get more carried away than others. Mostly just feels like a mental excercise to me like doing a crossword.

GohMaster!

Goh Gettem!
Yeah, I always try to be as civil as possible because the shipping side is just a fun side hobby for me at the end of the day. No hate for AmourShippers in general, but being a more recent phenomenon causes the audience to lean younger, which does make it a breeding ground for toxicity. Not to say there aren't toxic PokeShippers, but I feel like a lot of us are just too old and busy to waste our time arguing about it online. :p
That does make sense why amour carries so much toxicity. A ton of amourshippers are going to be kids that grew up only with social media

SunGodNika1997

You can call me Tanner.
That does make sense why amour carries so much toxicity. A ton of amourshippers are going to be kids that grew up only with social media
Yeah, and to be fair, it's not like I can pretend I didn't get a bit defensive against Advance and Pearl Shippers back in the day. But yeah, growing up in the social media era, where it's constantly a battleground, probably doesn't help.

Srsddf4781

Not sure how accurate the tweet translator is with the "that girl" part, because Misty says that line about the clauncher, not Ash saying it about Misty. However, I dont know why they would even bring up the red thread of fate, which people seem to insist is a known trope in Japan, just minutes after depicting Ash and Misty connected by a literal thread (fishing line). They didnt have to do either of those things unless they wanted to imply something. Like, I dont know, it seems like they're trying to imply something haha
I agree; it’s weird as it’s never stated by Ash in the episode and Clauncher is most likely male, judging by the sounds it makes and how Ash literally says they’re . Still, WHY did they post this? This is the official Pokémon account too. Interesting…
Thinking on it more, its either a huge coincidence or deliberate.

Ash and Misty had a fairly calm and happy lunch together. Cilan does his thing and remarks how psyduck's calmness is a great marriage for Misty's fieryness. They go in the woods and find a hatenna and it sits on Ash's head. Hatenna, by the pokedex, states its the "calm pokemon" and "it only warms up to those with a calm disposition".

Probably now reading too deep into it, but there is other stuff like the primary reason the plot gets going is become of Brock's love. There is also pikachu's food at the cafe which had those heart-shaped berries. The Hatterene showed Ash, Misty, and Cilan what they would desire most to get them out of the forest and while its true for Ash that it was his favorite food held by his mom, it also wouldn't have made sense to show Ash an illusion of Misty as shes right there with him.

EDIT: Plus the whole thing about the red string of fate is its also known as the red thread of marriage. So this means its the second episode in a row where Misty and Ash have been linked together and marriage has been related to them.
Sure, you’re reading into it, but that’s part of the fun. The fact that you are able to analyze the writers decisions and compare the dialogue is amazing. I liked the analysis you made. It is the Pokémon Company, so there’s a chance you’re not wrong, lol!

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
Found this volume of Sun and Moon’s official front dvd artwork from Japan. Misty is very much blushing.
Decided to look into the image out of mild curiosity.
Its the dvd cover art specifically meant to highlight the episode: Alola at Kanto! Takeshi and Kasumi!!
Which is when Ash flies from Alola to Kanto and meets up with Brock and Misty there.

Srsddf4781

Decided to look into the image out of mild curiosity.
Its the dvd cover art specifically meant to highlight the episode: Alola at Kanto! Takeshi and Kasumi!!
Which is when Ash flies from Alola to Kanto and meets up with Brock and Misty there.
You absolutely nailed it! Ash, Misty and Brock aren’t even in Alola at this moment. He came to visit them with his class. Misty gladly allowed them to stay at the Cerulean City Gym. She just misses Ash.

SunGodNika1997

You can call me Tanner.
So out of the blue, I just recalled a rather infamous interview that PokeBeach conducted with Masamitsu Hidaka, former director and storyboard artist of the anime, in 2008. Specifically focusing on the following excerpt:
What about the main cast on the show? Since he had talked about how they like to “switch them up,” I explained to him that many fans want Ash, Misty, and Brock reunited again together. But, he reaffirmed what he said in the previous interview and said it wasn’t going to happen. I asked him what he meant in the previous interview about Pokemon Contests, and he said he just meant that characters like May have come back for a few episodes in Pokemon Contests, so Misty could come back too. He said, however, that Contests don’t appear to be her thing, so if she were to come back, it would probably be to join Ash in a battle or to just meet them somewhere. So then I said, “Why can’t you just ditch Brock, have Ash, have Misty, and then bring in a new boy? That would be switching up things instead of having a new girl.” His following answers made me laugh my head off I had to pick it up off the floor and reattach it. He stated that they like to switch up the girls because it gives the boys some new eye candy every once in a while. He also said girls are more customizable and you can change their outfits, like when they are in their bathing suits (yes, he specifically said that). He also said Ken Sugimori designs a new girl with each generation and that gives them another excuse to switch the girl, though I reminded him that there is also a new boy with each generation too, and it wouldn’t hurt to use them.
Source: https://www.pokebeach.com/2008/07/s...with-masamitsu-hidaka-many-interesting-points

Now I don't want to trash Mr. Hidaka too much, as he just passed away last year. But I will say the whole thing about needing new "eye candy" is pretty disgusting. Even if it was meant to be from the point of view of the young boys watching the show, it's a gross thing to say, and also very insulting to the female characters and the fans that love them, whether we're talking about Misty or any of Ash's other traveling companions.

With that being said, I think I can now confidently say that we won in the end! Even if it took over two decades, and it's just for this final stretch of episodes, we finally got our original trio traveling together again. Seeing the positivity from fans all over the Internet has proved that we do love Misty and Brock. They aren't just props for the showrunners to use as they see fit, they are special to us. It warms my heart as both a Poke Shipper and a fan of that original anime in general to be here at this time with you guys. Here's hoping that these last eight episodes will be just as satisfying for us!

Srsddf4781

So out of the blue, I just recalled a rather infamous interview that PokeBeach conducted with Masamitsu Hidaka, former director and storyboard artist of the anime, in 2008. Specifically focusing on the following excerpt:

Source: https://www.pokebeach.com/2008/07/s...with-masamitsu-hidaka-many-interesting-points

Now I don't want to trash Mr. Hidaka too much, as he just passed away last year. But I will say the whole thing about needing new "eye candy" is pretty disgusting. Even if it was meant to be from the point of view of the young boys watching the show, it's a gross thing to say, and also very insulting to the female characters and the fans that love them, whether we're talking about Misty or any of Ash's other traveling companions.

With that being said, I think I can now confidently say that we won in the end! Even if it took over two decades, and it's just for this final stretch of episodes, we finally got our original trio traveling together again. Seeing the positivity from fans all over the Internet has proved that we do love Misty and Brock. They aren't just props for the showrunners to use as they see fit, they are special to us. It warms my heart as both a Poke Shipper and a fan of that original anime in general to be here at this time with you guys. Here's hoping that these last eight episodes will be just as satisfying for us!
All the writers previous statements don’t seem to hold much weight now. Misty has returned. That means canonically, two writers, Takeshi Shudo and Masamitsu Hidaka are wrong in previous statements regarding her. Bulbapedia needs an update. I understand it could hurt some young fans feelings, but I’m honestly waiting for Tetsuo Yajima to be wrong as well. The original three’s time has come.

All the writers previous statements don’t seem to hold much weight now. Misty has returned. That means canonically, two writers, Takeshi Shudo and Masamitsu Hidaka are wrong in previous statements regarding her. Bulbapedia needs an update. I understand it could hurt some young fans feelings, but I’m honestly waiting for Tetsuo Yajima to be wrong as well. The original three’s time has come.
To preface, not bashing Shudo, but I will judge his work and his thought processes.

Shudo on one hand he had a lot interesting ideas, but he also came across as conflicted. The second movie is the biggest evidence of this. Specifically the scene of Misty saving an unconscious Ash.

His main point is that its about the emotional connection is meant to be between pokemon and humans, not humans and humans. That its meant to be coexistence between human and pokemon. He also stated Misty didn't save Ash out of love.

Yet he wrote a scene that he had creative control of, where instead of her sending out any number of water pokemon to save Ash, she dove into freezing waters to save him when it was very turbulent. Aside from the coat, shes not wearing anything that would really protect herself either from those kind of waters.

Its also telling that among the other staff members, that when asked to point out a part that made them cry, they mostly pointed out this scene as being one that made them cry. As this is another part of why he is conflicted. He claimed he didn't want to write a scene which intentionally made someone feel sad, just it was up to the audience.

Its also a scene that comes after Misty basically makes peace with Melody. A character who had up to that point had been teasing her and stating in a manner of fact way that Misty is Ash's girlfriend throughout a lot of the film. Based on if its subbed or dubbed Misty either states that "He is my burden... right?" or "Hes never alone because he has... me".

And to even rewind it a bit more to an earlier scene with Melody and Misty, she tells Misty in that same matter of fact way that she [misty] is Ash's girlfriend, Misty at first denies it but Melody just replies with "Your a girl and you are his friend right?" and Misty just nervously laughs and nods.

Its hard not to read into it as Misty is coming to realize her actual feelings for Ash over the course of the film. As it comes across as text and not subtext.

And to use another thing that shows more Shudo's own confliction, there is the light novels he wrote. Which were meant to be his own ideas for the show as they are meant to mirror the episodes. I will not dwell on them too much but there is a part where Ash and Misty are at Pewter City and they visit the museum there. And an old man chats with Misty, this old man is theorized to be Ash's grandfather based on other contextual things in the novel. The main thing about the scene in the novel is he basically talking about his approval of Ash and Misty being an item, aka a couple.

And to end off my examples, just to go even further to show Shudo's conflicted mindset. My avatar. That is a scene from The Ghost of Maiden Peak episode, its specifically from Ash's point of view in how he views her and how he basically finds her stunning. Its an episode that Shudo wrote.

SunGodNika1997

You can call me Tanner.
To preface, not bashing Shudo, but I will judge his work and his thought processes.

Shudo on one hand he had a lot interesting ideas, but he also came across as conflicted. The second movie is the biggest evidence of this. Specifically the scene of Misty saving an unconscious Ash.

His main point is that its about the emotional connection is meant to be between pokemon and humans, not humans and humans. That its meant to be coexistence between human and pokemon. He also stated Misty didn't save Ash out of love.

Yet he wrote a scene that he had creative control of, where instead of her sending out any number of water pokemon to save Ash, she dove into freezing waters to save him when it was very turbulent. Aside from the coat, shes not wearing anything that would really protect herself either from those kind of waters.

Its also telling that among the other staff members, that when asked to point out a part that made them cry, they mostly pointed out this scene as being one that made them cry. As this is another part of why he is conflicted. He claimed he didn't want to write a scene which intentionally made someone feel sad, just it was up to the audience.

Its also a scene that comes after Misty basically makes peace with Melody. A character who had up to that point had been teasing her and stating in a manner of fact way that Misty is Ash's girlfriend throughout a lot of the film. Based on if its subbed or dubbed Misty either states that "He is my burden... right?" or "Hes never alone because he has... me".

And to even rewind it a bit more to an earlier scene with Melody and Misty, she tells Misty in that same matter of fact way that she [misty] is Ash's girlfriend, Misty at first denies it but Melody just replies with "Your a girl and you are his friend right?" and Misty just nervously laughs and nods.

Its hard not to read into it as Misty is coming to realize her actual feelings for Ash over the course of the film. As it comes across as text and not subtext.

And to use another thing that shows more Shudo's own confliction, there is the light novels he wrote. Which were meant to be his own ideas for the show as they are meant to mirror the episodes. I will not dwell on them too much but there is a part where Ash and Misty are at Pewter City and they visit the museum there. And an old man chats with Misty, this old man is theorized to be Ash's grandfather based on other contextual things in the novel. The main thing about the scene in the novel is he basically talking about his approval of Ash and Misty being an item, aka a couple.

And to end off my examples, just to go even further to show Shudo's conflicted mindset. My avatar. That is a scene from The Ghost of Maiden Peak episode, its specifically from Ash's point of view in how he views her and how he basically finds her stunning. Its an episode that Shudo wrote.
I could be wrong in my interpretations. However, based on what I've read, I can't help but feel a lot of the comments Shudo made were a bit of doubling back, perhaps out of frustration that people focused so much on the romance between Ash and Misty of all things. He did say that it wasn't that kind of story, which is true. But as you said, he is responsible for some of the most important scenes that Poke Shippers always go back to as evidence.

I have no idea why there was such a conflict between Shudo's words and his writing, and unfortunately, we will never know since he is also no longer with us. I have tons of respect for the man and his work, but any comments he made dismissing any romance between the two characters should definitely be taken with a grain of salt.

I could be wrong in my interpretations. However, based on what I've read, I can't help but feel a lot of the comments Shudo made were a bit of doubling back, perhaps out of frustration that people focused so much on the romance between Ash and Misty of all things. He did say that it wasn't that kind of story, which is true. But as you said, he is responsible for some of the most important scenes that Poke Shippers always go back to as evidence.

I have no idea why there was such a conflict between Shudo's words and his writing, and unfortunately, we will never know since he is also no longer with us. I have tons of respect for the man and his work, but any comments he made dismissing any romance between the two characters should definitely be taken with a grain of salt.
Yes that seems to be the case at least partially. The other part stems from creative differences of what he wanted to write versus what others wanted. And that extends to more than just Misty and Ash, but that would be getting far too off-topic and is best for a different thread.

To wrap back to pokeshipping, I think its very interesting that based on the teaser for the next episode that Misty takes a liking to Oshawott. Sure on the surface level, its a water type and Misty loves water types. But more so that Oshawott is to Ash as Psyduck is to Misty. They are both water type pokemon that let themselves out of their pokeballs at unexpected times and tend to make their trainers embarrassed as they likely have to return them to their pokeballs and then apologize on behalf of the pokemon. While Psyduck would forget why it came out of its ball, for Oshawott it was about its love for another pokemon.

SunGodNika1997

You can call me Tanner.
Yes that seems to be the case at least partially. The other part stems from creative differences of what he wanted to write versus what others wanted. And that extends to more than just Misty and Ash, but that would be getting far too off-topic and is best for a different thread.

To wrap back to pokeshipping, I think its very interesting that based on the teaser for the next episode that Misty takes a liking to Oshawott. Sure on the surface level, its a water type and Misty loves water types. But more so that Oshawott is to Ash as Psyduck is to Misty. They are both water type pokemon that let themselves out of their pokeballs at unexpected times and tend to make their trainers embarrassed as they likely have to return them to their pokeballs and then apologize on behalf of the pokemon. While Psyduck would forget why it came out of its ball, for Oshawott it was about its love for another pokemon.
Ah, that's actually a really good parallel I hadn't thought of! I really hope Misty gets plenty to do in this coming episode.

Srsddf4781

I personally wouldn’t take all he said as canon anymore, but you’re right in all you’ve said. His work was very important to the company after all. Far as Oshawott goes, there’s been a ton of interactions that she had with Ash’s Pokémon. Misty and they both seem to just gravitate towards one another. Perhaps that’s what Shudo really meant all those years ago with human- Pokémon interactions. I’m also waiting for the emotional nostalgia for both Ash and Misty when Lapras returns. Any theories?

Ah, that's actually a really good parallel I hadn't thought of! I really hope Misty gets plenty to do in this coming episode.
I hope so as well as more of her would be great.
I personally wouldn’t take all he said as canon anymore, but you’re right in all you’ve said. His work was very important to the company after all. Far as Oshawott goes, there’s been a ton of interactions that she had with Ash’s Pokémon. Misty and they both seem to just gravitate towards one another. Perhaps that’s what Shudo really meant all those years ago with human- Pokémon interactions. I’m also waiting for the emotional nostalgia for both Ash and Misty when Lapras returns. Any theories?
I suppose time will tell, but that might be what he meant.

With Lapras it is interesting as its a pokemon that was obtained in the orange islands and served as Ash, Misty, and Tracey's primary transport pokemon. It also helped Ash win the pokemon league over there. I assume it would be largely fond memories for Misty and Ash.

I don't know how important is but going back to episode 1 of to be a pokemon master, Dewpider was shown there as it was in a stream. So shown in episode 1, and mentioned by Cilan in episode 3 to Misty and her responding with that would be a "tough one" .

(minor edits to add more)

Last edited:

Srsddf4781

I hope so as well as more of her would be great.

I suppose time will tell, but that might be what he meant.

With Lapras it is interesting as its a pokemon that was obtained in the orange islands and served as Ash, Misty, and Tracey's primary transport pokemon. It also helped Ash win the pokemon league over there. I assume it would be largely fond memories for Misty and Ash.

I don't know how important is but going back to episode 1 of to be a pokemon master, Dewpider was shown there as it was in a stream. So shown in episode 1, and mentioned by Cilan in episode 3 to Misty and her responding with that would be a "tough one" .

(minor edits to add more)
I suppose Dewpider would be a whole new situation for her. Ash would likely help her. A running thing of us Pokeshippers is that Misty doesn’t mind Ash’s bug type Pokémon as she would others. Caterpie grew on her and she harbored absolutely no ill will against it as Butterfree. Heracross is another good example of her learning to accept them; again strangely if they’re Ash’s. Pineco was thought to be cute by her (Her verbatim excuse) and she also didn’t mind Brock’s Forretress. She’s got a big enough heart.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
This episode was much lighter on the SatoKasu stuff this go around, but that's fine. Diving into Ash and Misty stuff would have detracted from the main subject, i.e. pulling Brock back together. Simple tiny bits like talking and reacting in unison is cute, and it's just nice to see them on the road again. Misty reacted to the lure revelation about as much as I expected, I don't think I was really expecting anything heavy-handed, but Cilan knowing about her sisters and referring to her offhandedly as the runt was a surprising swerve. Two sisters' shoutouts in a row, pretty weird.

If you want to make any kind of connection in this episode, then yeah, Cilan did say during his evaluation of Psyduck that a calming personality is complementary to Misty's fiery side (the “perfect marriage”), and Ash's calmness in the situation that drew Hattena to him was a significant plot point. I like it, because if that's intentional, like last episode, the Pokemon are being incorporated to highlight their personalities. It’s just being done indirectly this time; Cilan wasn’t going to evaluate two humans, or at least a pair whom he just met half of, and Hatenna and Hatterene weren’t going to play matchmaker. I think it's a fine way of doing this, particularly since there's been a consistent lesson of connecting with Pokémon here - start strong, then let the Pokémon be the regular messengers to climb up to a definitive point and carry a theme. Maybe Oshawott will pick up the baton in Episode 4.