• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PokeShipping (Ash x Misty) Discussion Thread

greninjamaster

This video is from 7 years ago. Funny how much the concept of Pokeshipping has changed after the recent shipping wars.
Most people seemed to have a larger grasp then.
anybody that says pokeshipping is just dub is either a person that never watched the OS sub or dub or it's a shipper trying to discount Ash and Misty's massive icon status and popularity especially in the US.

Srsddf4781

anybody that says pokeshipping is just dub is either a person that never watched the OS sub or dub or it's a shipper trying to discount Ash and Misty's massive icon status and popularity especially in the US.
There seems to be a lack of understanding the past. Newer documentation around the time of X & Y gave certain journalists unauthorized permission to make articles of a future ‘canon’ girlfriend. Neither Nintendo or the Pokémon Company have us word for word information and those culprits are ‘Gamerant’ and ‘Screenrant.’

greninjamaster

There seems to be a lack of understanding the past. Newer documentation around the time of X & Y gave certain journalists unauthorized permission to make articles of a future ‘canon’ girlfriend. Neither Nintendo or the Pokémon Company have us word for word information and those culprits are ‘Gamerant’ and ‘Screenrant.’
Yeah those places are notorious for clickbait articles.

Srsddf4781

A high school Ash Ketchum and Misty would be interesting, although in doubt we’d see it. I’ve known it for some time but the episode ‘For Crying Out Loud,’ puts emphasis on the fact that Misty’s word is NOT always reliable. This particularly is used when she doesn’t want to admit to one thing or another. She even calls Maril a “baby” in a response to Ash calling her out, but shows how much she cares for Maril while her back is turned. She’s crying and in the episode ’Cerulean Blues’ we are given more information to her personal thoughts in the form of her nightmares being separated from Brock and Ash while she’s unconscious.

SunGodNika1997

You can call me Tanner.
Guys, I just had a sudden epiphany and absolutely had to share. If this idea has been brought up previously, I humbly apologize.

So when our original trio parted ways in "Gotta Catch Ya Later!," I'm sure most of us can recall how Brock gifted Ash a boxed lunch, while Misty gifted him a handkerchief to help him carry it.

FRnPo-VaIAAcAjI

In East Asian culture, the giving of a handkerchief is meant to symbolize wiping away tears after the departure of a loved one in any form. A few episodes later in "You Never Can Taillow," we actually see Ash using this very handkerchief to clean off his Taillow's beak.

FRnPscyakAARXZs.jpg

Now we haven't seen the handkerchief since as far as I can Taillow (sorry, couldn't resist), but it would be safe to assume that if he took the gift with him to Hoenn, then he has still been traveling with it all this time later.

To move on to my main point, this is important because, as some of you might know, there is another famous trope involving handkerchiefs in Eastern media, especially in anime and manga. When hinting at a potential romance between two characters, creators will utilize the "returning of the handkerchief". This is when character A will gift character B their handkerchief as a kind gesture when character B is in need of it. Some time later, character B meets back up with character A to return said handkerchief. In some cases, it can be implied that character B returns the handkerchief is romantically interested in character A, and might even understand the implications of the gesture. Since it can't go without being said, this trope was notably used with Serena at the start of X&Y.

So with all of this in mind, it might be a long shot if the writers are even thinking about this small detail at this point, and I don't want to get everyone's hopes up, but if Ash returns that handkerchief to Misty before the end of the series, it is going to rock the Poke Shipping world and possibly serve to solidify them as a future couple.

Hope I explained that well enough. For more details on this trope, here is the TV Tropes entry for further research: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ReturningTheHandkerchief

Srsddf4781

Guys, I just had a sudden epiphany and absolutely had to share. If this idea has been brought up previously, I humbly apologize.

So when our original trio parted ways in "Gotta Catch Ya Later!," I'm sure most of us can recall how Brock gifted Ash a boxed lunch, while Misty gifted him a handkerchief to help him carry it.

FRnPo-VaIAAcAjI

In East Asian culture, the giving of a handkerchief is meant to symbolize wiping away tears after the departure of a loved one in any form. A few episodes later in "You Never Can Taillow," we actually see Ash using this very handkerchief to clean off his Taillow's beak.

FRnPscyakAARXZs.jpg

Now we haven't seen the handkerchief since as far as I can Taillow (sorry, couldn't resist), but it would be safe to assume that if he took the gift with him to Hoenn, then he has still been traveling with it all this time later.

To move on to my main point, this is important because, as some of you might know, there is another famous trope involving handkerchiefs in Eastern media, especially in anime and manga. When hinting at a potential romance between two characters, creators will utilize the "returning of the handkerchief". This is when character A will gift character B their handkerchief as a kind gesture when character B is in need of it. Some time later, character B meets back up with character A to return said handkerchief. In some cases, it can be implied that character B returns the handkerchief is romantically interested in character A, and might even understand the implications of the gesture. Since it can't go without being said, this trope was notably used with Serena at the start of X&Y.

So with all of this in mind, it might be a long shot if the writers are even thinking about this small detail at this point, and I don't want to get everyone's hopes up, but if Ash returns that handkerchief to Misty before the end of the series, it is going to rock the Poke Shipping world and possibly serve to solidify them as a future couple.

Hope I explained that well enough. For more details on this trope, here is the TV Tropes entry for further research: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ReturningTheHandkerchief
I honestly didn’t think they had the guts to bring back Misty’s lure, but somebody at the company thought it was worth it. I personally imagine that you’re correct; he likely still carries it as a prized possession. We know he is VERY protective of her lure for something that supposedly doesn’t catch fish very well.

SunGodNika1997

You can call me Tanner.
I honestly didn’t think they had the guts to bring back Misty’s lure, but somebody at the company thought it was worth it. I personally imagine that you’re correct; he likely still carries it as a prized possession. We know he is VERY protective of her lure for something that supposedly doesn’t catch fish very well.
It would probably be in the final episode at some point if anything, but if they found organic way to incorporate that little plot point it would be incredible. Subtle, but also full of tons of deeper meaning.

Srsddf4781

I think I can now become a coffee lover. -Pokémon 25th Anniversary Merchandise. They didn’t include Brock. Hmm…

SunGodNika1997

You can call me Tanner.
I think I can now become a coffee lover. -Pokémon 25th Anniversary Merchandise. They didn’t include Brock. Hmm…
Literally about to whip out my credit card. Might as well let Poke Shipping further fuel my coffee addiction.

Srsddf4781

Literally about to whip out my credit card. Might as well let Poke Shipping further fuel my coffee addiction.
4 mugs available on Ebay. If the end of these 11 episodes comes with Misty and Brock being forced to part ways with Ash again, I cannot see Misty enjoying parting with Ash. She’s never has. This time, something feels different. I’m thinking it wasn’t “coincidence” he met her again “of all people.” I wonder if anyone thinks she deliberately went looking for him much like in Hoenn. She did admit he was inspiration.

SunGodNika1997

You can call me Tanner.
4 mugs available on Ebay. If the end of these 11 episodes comes with Misty and Brock being forced to part ways with Ash again, I cannot see Misty enjoying parting with Ash. She’s never has. This time, something feels different. I’m thinking it wasn’t “coincidence” he met her again “of all people.” I wonder if anyone thinks she deliberately went looking for him much like in Hoenn. She did admit he was inspiration.
Make that 3 available. I wasn't kidding. :p And I personally can't imagine another parting scene, at least not Ash and Misty parting ways. She did leave the gym to set out on her own journey, and if this series is going the way I think, Ash is going to learn that being a Pokemon Master means traveling the world and bonding with all kinds of Pokemon along the way. I could definitely see an ending where at least those two continue traveling indefinitely, perhaps with Brock as well.

greninjamaster

Is this official merchandise?

Make that 3 available. I wasn't kidding. :p And I personally can't imagine another parting scene, at least not Ash and Misty parting ways. She did leave the gym to set out on her own journey, and if this series is going the way I think, Ash is going to learn that being a Pokemon Master means traveling the world and bonding with all kinds of Pokemon along the way. I could definitely see an ending where at least those two continue traveling indefinitely, perhaps with Brock as well.
That's how i see them ending it. Though my perfect ending had always been to have Ash see off his 10 year old child off on a journey, I don't think they have the guts to give Ash a definitive wife at this point. It has to come full circle somehow, and if they don't do that, Ash, Misty, and Brock (and Pikachu) going off into the sunset on an everlasting journey is really the only other way to do it.

This is what our realistic best case scenario might look like:

It's the end of the final episode. Ash pulls Misty aside. Ash says something like "you know, I'e been thinking about what it means to be a pokemon master, and i realized that its not really about being a pokemon master, its about becoming one. Its a journey, you know. So pikachu and I decided we wanna keep going on that journey. And I want you to come with me." Cut to Misty, she blushes and looks surprised. Ash holds out his hand. "Would you come on a journey with me, Misty?" Ash blushes while saying this (just a bit, but enough).

Misty responds, still blushing "I would love that, Ash." She takes his hand and Ash, a big grin on his face, starts sprinting off, dragging Misty along.

They run by Brock, and Ash says "Come on Brock, let's go!" (he's already asked him to go). Brock give some kind of knowing smile. He starts to follow them. It cuts to them running off into the distance, and finally, the words ">to be continued" pop up on the screen.

It comes full circle, no ships are canon, but pokeshipping is pretty heavily implied. I imagine Pikachu would have to be involved more in the ending though, but I think thats pretty realistic for a best case scenario.

SunGodNika1997

You can call me Tanner.
That's how i see them ending it. Though my perfect ending had always been to have Ash see off his 10 year old child off on a journey, I don't think they have the guts to give Ash a definitive wife at this point. It has to come full circle somehow, and if they don't do that, Ash, Misty, and Brock (and Pikachu) going off into the sunset on an everlasting journey is really the only other way to do it.

It's the end of the final episode. Ash pulls Misty aside. Ash says something like "you know, I'e been thinking about what it means to be a pokemon master, and i realized that its not really about being a pokemon master, its about becoming one. Its a journey, you know. So pikachu and I decided we wanna keep going on that journey. And I want you to come with me." Cut to Misty, she blushes and looks surprised. Ash holds out his hand. "Would you come on a journey with me, Misty?" Ash blushes while saying this (just a bit, but enough).

Misty responds, still blushing "I would love that, Ash." She takes his hand and Ash, a big grin on his face, starts sprinting off, dragging Misty along.

They run by Brock, and Ash says "Come on Brock, let's go!" (he's already asked him to go). Brock give some kind of knowing smile. He starts to follow them. It cuts to them running off into the distance, and finally, the words ">to be continued" pop up on the screen.

It comes full circle, no ships are canon, but pokeshipping is pretty heavily implied. I imagine Pikachu would have to be involved more in the ending though, but I think thats pretty realistic for a best case scenario.
Yeah, that sounds like a reasonable enough scenario for the end.

Definitely can't see Ash settling down and discontinuing his travels, and I don't see any reason why Misty and Brock would need nor want to leave his side by this point, so an ending where they journey indefinitely together just feels like the natural conclusion, and a few hints at Poke Shipping definitely wouldn't hurt.

Ash Ketchum!

Pokemon Trainer
Yeah, that sounds like a reasonable enough scenario for the end.

Definitely can't see Ash settling down and discontinuing his travels, and I don't see any reason why Misty and Brock would need nor want to leave his side by this point, so an ending where they journey indefinitely together just feels like the natural conclusion, and a few hints at Poke Shipping definitely wouldn't hurt.
Brock might want to go back to pursuing being a Pokemon Doctor.

I could see this miniseries going for an end-of-summer-vacation type vibe.

SunGodNika1997

You can call me Tanner.
Brock might want to go back to pursuing being a Pokemon Doctor.

I could see this miniseries going for an end-of-summer-vacation type vibe.
Yeah, I suppose that is true. Still, even putting my Poke Shipping leanings aside, Misty no longer has her obligations at the gym as of right now, so I don't see any reason she would want to stop traveling with Ash, so that's still a possibility.

greninjamaster

Would love for this to be the ending because it means Misty will once again travel with Ash for the rest of their days.

Since I believe the end of the show is gonna be Ash still going on his journey hopefully with MIsty by his side.

Last edited: