• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PokeShipping (Ash x Misty) Discussion Thread

SacredAsh

there is one thing i noticed and that is at the end of AG, in the episode the scheme team, when Ash returns home, misty was waiting for him. Pikachu then leaps into misty's arm as he is very excited to see misty again. While it is not a hint, I think it says a lot about how close misty and ash were because pikachu really liked misty. That's really something. I don't remember if Pikachu took a liking to the other pokegirls but I was under the impression he didn't.
Moreover in Advance Generation, in the opening, there was a card with the queen of hearts and two pictures on it, one of Delia and another of Misty. It's easily arguable that Misty was one of the 2 most important female characters in Ash's life. But I believe Shudo's sentiments were justified when he said that romance wasn't a part of pokemon or at least he didn't want it to be. I think romance does change what pokemon is about and that is why I don't think amourshipping should be elevated to a higher status than all the past pokemon shippings. I do prefer if there was to be a pairing, that the writers would imply that Ash and Misty got together at the end of the series. I think a subtle way such as showing Misty's daughter who has Ash's physical characteristics would be a great way to do it. And I wished they developed Misty's character a bit more but they are never going to do that.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Well I know for sure misty doesn't like Tracey. I just felt like the writers were trying to write off pokeshipping.

I'm not sure if they were really trying to write off PokeShipping though. I mean even though Misty and Tracey spent so much time together, the writers still had Ash show the Misty lure in DP and that was a hint that he cared about her since he kept it for so long. I really think the writers were implying that PokeShipping still had hope. Anyway, I think PokeShipping was always meant to happen; I recall reading something about the anime only being planned to last for a year and I think Ash and Misty would've ended up together by the end of it had the writers ended Ash's story.

Swifty

A lot of the notions of Tracey and Misty being together is just lot of ship tease with no substance. It's honestly just consistent non-committal. Despite how other characters entertain the notion of them being together, the two characters seem to just lightly brush them off. And it just makes no sense that no actual emotional development occurs between Tracey and Misty if Tracey x Misty was supposed to be a valid plot arc. It's not just them not blushing at each other or anything, but there's no new understanding that Tracey and Misty come to know about each other that causes a spark. That happens all the time when a relationship is written in Pokemon and, well, pretty much any other story. It happened between Ash and Misty. It happened between May and Drew. It happened between Jimmy and Marina. But nothing really happens between Tracey and Misty where they look at each other in a new light, something beyond friendship.

Honestly? I think the writers were trying to scare Pokeshippers in Japan into superficially thinking that Tracey x Misty was going to be a legit thing. They purposely cut the previews for the "The Right Place At The Right Mime" to make it look like Misty was blushing over Tracey... Misty was just blushing about being shown on live TV. They also made a big deal about Misty and Tracey's imagined roles in Daisy's play in the preview for that episode... which ended up not being a really a big deal at all and honestly peripheral to the plot. The show runners tend to be really coy about Ash and Misty and from that scan I posted, it's evident they like to have fun with the "will they or will they not?" aspect of Ash and Misty's relationship.

Last edited:

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
I do agree with you all. Someone said something about how sad misty is in the gym because she's not chasing her dream. Yeah I realized that too. I even wrote a fanfic on how she was sad and how she's going to work to be on and quit the gym life. The thing is Dp is now a while away and they should at least make a cameo of the lure.

there is one thing i noticed and that is at the end of AG, in the episode the scheme team, when Ash returns home, misty was waiting for him. Pikachu then leaps into misty's arm as he is very excited to see misty again. While it is not a hint, I think it says a lot about how close misty and ash were because pikachu really liked misty. That's really something. I don't remember if Pikachu took a liking to the other pokegirls but I was under the impression he didn't.
Moreover in Advance Generation, in the opening, there was a card with the queen of hearts and two pictures on it, one of Delia and another of Misty. It's easily arguable that Misty was one of the 2 most important female characters in Ash's life. But I believe Shudo's sentiments were justified when he said that romance wasn't a part of pokemon or at least he didn't want it to be. I think romance does change what pokemon is about and that is why I don't think amourshipping should be elevated to a higher status than all the past pokemon shippings. I do prefer if there was to be a pairing, that the writers would imply that Ash and Misty got together at the end of the series. I think a subtle way such as showing Misty's daughter who has Ash's physical characteristics would be a great way to do it. And I wished they developed Misty's character a bit more but they are never going to do that.

Yeah. It's not a big shipping hint, but it does show that Misty is close to Ash. I also think Pikachu prefers Misty over May, Dawn, Iris and Serena. Anyways, I'd say nothing should be canon. That way, we can interpretate whatever we want for off-screen, which means no shippings will die. I know how hurt I'll be when AmourShipping becomes canon, I don't think any rival shipper deserves that pain. And besides, if PokeShipping would become canon in a badly written way, I think we all would've wished we could've still had better written interpretations how PokeShipping should happen. And knowing the writers, they can't do anything right.

I'm not sure if they were really trying to write off PokeShipping though. I mean even though Misty and Tracey spent so much time together, the writers still had Ash show the Misty lure in DP and that was a hint that he cared about her since he kept it for so long. I really think the writers were implying that PokeShipping still had hope. Anyway, I think PokeShipping was always meant to happen; I recall reading something about the anime only being planned to last for a year and I think Ash and Misty would've ended up together by the end of it had the writers ended Ash's story.

I agree. As I said a few times before, I don't think OrangeShipping was anything serious, while PokeShipping still had a few moments (Chronicles, lure in DP). I think PokeShipping has off-screen hope as long as no rival shipping becomes canon. And yes, what you recall is true.

A lot of the notions of Tracey and Misty being together is just lot of ship tease with no substance. It's honestly just consistent non-committal. Despite how other characters entertain the notion of them being together, the two characters seem to just lightly brush them off. And it just makes no sense that no actual emotional development occurs between Tracey and Misty if Tracey x Misty was supposed to be a valid plot arc. It's not just them not blushing at each other or anything, but there's no new understanding that Tracey and Misty come to know about each other that causes a spark. That happens all the time when a relationship is written in Pokemon and, well, pretty much any other story. It happened between Ash and Misty. It happened between May and Drew. It happened between Jimmy and Marina. But nothing really happens between Tracey and Misty where they look at each other in a new light, something beyond friendship.

Honestly? I think the writers were trying to scare Pokeshippers in Japan into superficially thinking that Tracey x Misty was going to be a legit thing. They purposely cut the previews for the "The Right Place At The Right Mime" to make it look like Misty was blushing over Tracey... Misty was just blushing about being shown on live TV. They also made a big deal about Misty and Tracey's imagined roles in Daisy's play in the preview for that episode... which ended up not being a really a big deal at all and honestly peripheral to the plot. The show runners tend to be really coy about Ash and Misty and from that scan I posted, it's evident they like to have fun with the "will they or will they not?" aspect of Ash and Misty's relationship.

I wouldn't even call it ship tease. Many characters have been unfairly accused of liking someone they have no feelings for, it's too meaningless for me to call it ship tease. I think Tracey is more interested in Daisy, what do you think?

Well, yes, they probably had that preview to get more viewers by shocking people. And yeah, that play meant nothing, they never even considered it, and also didn't freak out like Misty does when someone mentions her feelings for Ash.

I do agree with you all. Someone said something about how sad misty is in the gym because she's not chasing her dream. Yeah I realized that too. I even wrote a fanfic on how she was sad and how she's going to work to be on and quit the gym life. The thing is Dp is now a while away and they should at least make a cameo of the lure.

Well, I'm the one saying that. The problem with the Gym is that doing chores and beating weak rookies isn't going to be helpful. What Misty needs is travelling, meeting new opponents, challenging who she wants, seeing and catching new Pokemon, participating in tournaments like the Whirl Cup and Catch-A-Seaking Contest. And travelling for a while like Fantina did isn't going to help, she needs full freedom without Gym obligations. Unfortunately, her sisters aren't giving Misty a choice, their laziness is ruining Misty's dream... I don't want to demonize those three, I don't even think they understand how much they're hurting Misty...

In my PokeShipping journey fic "Aquatic Passion", the start is Misty escaping the Gym at night at the age of 16, after being a depressed Gym Leader against her will for six years. Then, she quickly meets Ash again, and a relationship and a journey through Johto start.

I want to "re-ask" my previous question, to see if I can get any interesting answers, or even motivate some people to do something nice: Are you doing anything special PokeShipping-related for Christmas?

I have a small oneshot and a drawing, but I won't post it until 24 December (my girlfriend can't be on on 25 December, I want her to see it before Christmas is over, and if I post it on DeviantArt, I could just as well show it here).

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
I'm going to read your fanfic! Seems super interesting ! Mine is called Play Misty For Me. And I'm going to make it where she meets up with Ash at the end. But some progress will come :D

Navin

MALDREAD
Strictly speaking from a neutral angle, even with the rise of Amourshipping, Ash x Misty had the best chemistry and Pokeshipping still remains the most developed ship in series history. Not to mention the large majority of fans who grew up watching the anime and then left still think it's the de facto pairing of the show. So Pokeshippers can still rejoice in that fact. Of course things can always change in the future, but as of now, I would say this is the case.

Lorde

Strictly speaking from a neutral angle, even with the rise of Amourshipping, Ash x Misty had the best chemistry and Pokeshipping still remains the most developed ship in series history. Not to mention the large majority of fans who grew up watching the anime and then left still think it's the de facto pairing of the show. So Pokeshippers can still rejoice in that fact. Of course things can always change in the future, but as of now, I would say this is the case.

I personally don't care if PokeShipping is still popular or not, but I am glad that many fans of the anime still think of Ash and Misty as the de facto pairing as you said. Even if those people aren't shippers themselves, I'm glad they've noticed the chemistry between the two characters; some people say that shippers make a lot of stuff up, but I really think there were big hints supporting PokeShipping in the anime that even non-shippers can't ignore.

Navin

MALDREAD
I personally don't care if PokeShipping is still popular or not, but I am glad that many fans of the anime still think of Ash and Misty as the de facto pairing as you said. Even if those people aren't shippers themselves, I'm glad they've noticed the chemistry between the two characters; some people say that shippers make a lot of stuff up, but I really think there were big hints supporting PokeShipping in the anime that even non-shippers can't ignore.

It really wasn't made up. It was pretty obvious honestly. I wasn't a 'shipper' (I didn't even know what that was) when I was a child/preteen watching the original series, and I clearly noticed the romantic undertones between them. In fact, most people did in my opinion. Everyone I know did. Pokeshipping was the subplot of Orange Islands and Pokemon 2000 - you had to be blind not to see it really.

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
Pokeshipping is the ship. Ash misty and Brock are the people. No matter how hard the anime tries to get rid of them and ash's old appearance, 95% will recognize Brock and Misty as his companions and his old clothes has his clothes. People who watched pokemon back in the day who doesn't remember so much will still think pokeshipping was meant to be

I'm going to read your fanfic! Seems super interesting ! Mine is called Play Misty For Me. And I'm going to make it where she meets up with Ash at the end. But some progress will come :D

Thanks! Here's a text I wrote about it on my Author's Profile, so you can see if you're truly interested or not:
http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?564466-Aquatic-Passion-(PokeShipping-PG13)&highlight=
"Aquatic Passion" has 42 chapters. After Misty escaped the Gym after six depressing years of being a Gym Leader against her will, Ash and Misty travel together at the age of 16 as boyfriend and girlfriend. In the beginning, everything is new and fresh, there's barely any conflict. But later, the "newness/freshness" is gone, and arguments start happening ocasionally. Will their relationship survive? Will Ash finally win a League or not? And what will happen to Misty's Water Pokemon Master dream? Two things I need to note:
- Chapter 1 to 12 are pretty lackluster, I just started out as a writer back then. Thanks to someone helping me a lot, chapter 13 and onwards are much better.
- In one chapter, I made Danny appear to make him flirt with Misty to get Ash jealous, and made him get blasted off. After all, a man who is twenty years older than Misty flirting like that isn't exactly a comfortable thing. However, I realized Danny deserved better than that and felt bad, I made him too rude, so I tried to make things right by making him appear again in a later chapter to make him redeem himself. There, he wasn't attracted to Misty anymore, was polite like in the anime, and battled Ash. So when you read that first time Danny appears, please realize I'm not bashing him. I was an inexperienced writer who wanted to create a funny moment back then, I realize I didn't do that the right way now, and I tried to make it right by making him appear again and redeem himself.

Do you have a link to your fic and a short description on what's it about?

I completely agree, and I hope it stays that way. So far, Misty is the only girl Ash ever showed serious interest in. Sure, he saw Melody and Giselle as hot, but Misty is the only one he truly loves and ever showed feelings for, despite not realizing that.

Yeah. I know a person on this forum who often says he's not a shipper (even though I sometimes suspect some closet PokeShippiness), but he often says that he notices the feelings and the chemistry between Ash and Misty, and even posted in this thread a few times.

What will Ash and Misty do for Christmas?

Misty is stuck at the Gym, even a five minute walk is enough for her sisters to give away Badges for free, so visiting Pallet Town isn't possible. Because of that, Ash will have to go to Cerulean City. If he does that, he could buy Misty a Christmas tree, I don't think she bought one herself, because then her sisters give away Badges for free. And we all know Ash loves food, so he needs to buy or make some food himself. After all, we all know Misty is the worst cook in Pokemon history. And of course Misty might try getting Ash under a mistletoe, if she has one.

TheMewster

Pokémon Connoisseur
Does anyone remember what Ash said in the Pokémon movie, Jirachi: Wish Maker? "I miss her everyday"
I think it's pretty obvious that he's referring to Misty but could this be one of those rare moments where Ash showed canon affection toward a girl and not just simply a close friend? However, this piece of dialogue was just in the English dub version though :(

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
Thanks! Here's a text I wrote about it on my Author's Profile, so you can see if you're truly interested or not:

Do you have a link to your fic and a short description on what's it about?

I completely agree, and I hope it stays that way. So far, Misty is the only girl Ash ever showed serious interest in. Sure, he saw Melody and Giselle as hot, but Misty is the only one he truly loves and ever showed feelings for, despite not realizing that.

Yeah. I know a person on this forum who often says he's not a shipper (even though I sometimes suspect some closet PokeShippiness), but he often says that he notices the feelings and the chemistry between Ash and Misty, and even posted in this thread a few times.

What will Ash and Misty do for Christmas?

Misty is stuck at the Gym, even a five minute walk is enough for her sisters to give away Badges for free, so visiting Pallet Town isn't possible. Because of that, Ash will have to go to Cerulean City. If he does that, he could buy Misty a Christmas tree, I don't think she bought one herself, because then her sisters give away Badges for free. And we all know Ash loves food, so he needs to buy or make some food himself. After all, we all know Misty is the worst cook in Pokemon history. And of course Misty might try getting Ash under a mistletoe, if she has one.

I read the first two chapters. It's super interesting! Thank you for giving me something interesting to read this holiday! I'm really looking forward to read it all :)
Here's mine

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/9943927/1/Play-Misty-For-Me
Play Misty For Me
It's when Misty realizes she's not chasing her goal. She didn't run away from her sisters in the first season to come back doing their chores. She decides that she wants to be a water pokemon master. With Tracey and Casey by her side, she will build up her reputation as a master and hopefully catch up to her best friend/crush Ash Ketchum.

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
Does anyone remember what Ash said in the Pokémon movie, Jirachi: Wish Maker? "I miss her everyday"
I think it's pretty obvious that he's referring to Misty but could this be one of those rare moments where Ash showed canon affection toward a girl and not just simply a close friend? However, this piece of dialogue was just in the English dub version though :(

Yeah so that would make it non-canon.

4Kids was running the anime at the time, and they would often embellish a bit and make PokeShipping hints out of nothing. Not to say that was a horrible thing to do, but it certainly cannot be taken as the actual writers' intention. 4Kids also had their rare moments in which they would take a PokeShipping hint from the original Japanese version and make it into nothing at all, as seen at the end of Cerulean Blues.

I honestly liked 4Kids, but they were sure a funky bunch of people...

I read the first two chapters. It's super interesting! Thank you for giving me something interesting to read this holiday! I'm really looking forward to read it all :)
Here's mine

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/9943927/1/Play-Misty-For-Me
Play Misty For Me
It's when Misty realizes she's not chasing her goal. She didn't run away from her sisters in the first season to come back doing their chores. She decides that she wants to be a water pokemon master. With Tracey and Casey by her side, she will build up her reputation as a master and hopefully catch up to her best friend/crush Ash Ketchum.

Thanks! It should get better later on, I think my early chapters suck. Anyways, I'll befriend you and talk further about this in VMs if you're fine with it, otherwise it's going to get off-topic.

Um... Misty never needed to realize that, she always realized that and already made the decision that she wants to be a Water Pokemon Master in the anime, before having to go to the Gym. It's not something she needs to realize there, she never had any moment of not realizing it at the Gym. She never wanted to be a Gym Leader in the first place. So why did she suddenly realize something she already realizes?

I also just read the first chapter, and I have one other point of criticism, I sent you a VM about that.

Yeah so that would make it non-canon.

4Kids was running the anime at the time, and they would often embellish a bit and make PokeShipping hints out of nothing. Not to say that was a horrible thing to do, but it certainly cannot be taken as the actual writers' intention. 4Kids also had their rare moments in which they would take a PokeShipping hint from the original Japanese version and make it into nothing at all, as seen at the end of Cerulean Blues.

I honestly liked 4Kids, but they were sure a funky bunch of people...

Yeah, I also don't count dub-only moments as hints. And I don't like how they added hints, because it gave PokeShipping a bad name. Tons of rival shippers often say that PokeShipping is entirely dub-added, blowing the amount of dub-added hints out of proportion. When looking at serious hints, I'd say not more than 10% of the hints are dub-added. I'm not counting Misty's Song, that's not even in an episode, I'm only talking about moments in episodes and movies.

And yes, many of those people who act like PokeShipping is dub-only constantly point out how PokeShipping is "dub-only", but they never mention how the dubbers removed some moments as well...

Maybe an interesting question for everyone: What do you think of the way the dubbers treated PokeShipping?

I hate it:
- the job of the dubbers is translating, not changing/adding/removing content.
- it gave PokeShipping a bad name and gave rival shippers something they can use to bash PokeShipping by severely exaggerating the amount of dub hints.
- they also removed some moments that were in the original.
- I can't like dub-only hints, because they're not real.

Last edited:

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
Thanks! It should get better later on, I think my early chapters suck. Anyways, I'll befriend you and talk further about this in VMs if you're fine with it, otherwise it's going to get off-topic.

Um... Misty never needed to realize that, she always realized that and already made the decision that she wants to be a Water Pokemon Master in the anime, before having to go to the Gym. It's not something she needs to realize there, she never had any moment of not realizing it at the Gym. She never wanted to be a Gym Leader in the first place. So why did she suddenly realize something she already realizes?

I also just read the first chapter, and I have one other point of criticism, I sent you a VM about that.

Yeah, I also don't count dub-only moments as hints. And I don't like how they added hints, because it gave PokeShipping a bad name. Tons of rival shippers often say that PokeShipping is entirely dub-added, blowing the amount of dub-added hints out of proportion. When looking at serious hints, I'd say not more than 10% of the hints are dub-added. I'm not counting Misty's Song, that's not even in an episode, I'm only talking about moments in episodes and movies.

And yes, many of those people who act like PokeShipping is dub-only constantly point out how PokeShipping is "dub-only", but they never mention how the dubbers removed some moments as well...

Maybe an interesting question for everyone: What do you think of the way the dubbers treated PokeShipping?

I hate it:
- the job of the dubbers is translating, not changing/adding/removing content.
- it gave PokeShipping a bad name and gave rival shippers something they can use to bash PokeShipping by severely exaggerating the amount of dub hints.
- they also removed some moments that were in the original.
- I can't like dub-only hints, because they're not real.

The dubbing annoyed me when they add stuff that had nothing to even to with the topic of some lines.

Lorde

Even though most people disregard that comment since it was only mentioned in the dub, I still liked it. I'm sure he was talking about Misty and I loved that 4Kids was at least trying to give the PokeShippers something to talk about. I know that a lot of people disliked 4Kids since they often mentioned stuff that wasn't in the original anime, but I appreciate that they seemed more eager to make PokeShipping canon than the actual writers. Most of the biggest PokeShipping hints stem from the dub imo.

Even though most people disregard that comment since it was only mentioned in the dub, I still liked it. I'm sure he was talking about Misty and I loved that 4Kids was at least trying to give the PokeShippers something to talk about. I know that a lot of people disliked 4Kids since they often mentioned stuff that wasn't in the original anime, but I appreciate that they seemed more eager to make PokeShipping canon than the actual writers. Most of the biggest PokeShipping hints stem from the dub imo.

Why do you think most of the biggest hints are dub-only? All the jealousy moments are in the original, most physical attraction is in the original, the way Ash cried when Misty left while not crying about the other girls leaving is in the original, the denial moments like the cage scene and Lugia movie moment are in the original...

Don't you think the dubbers are lying to their viewers? The moments they add are not real... I hope you won't see this as a personal attack, I'm just asking out of interest.

Poke-Girl9

4Kids also had their rare moments in which they would take a PokeShipping hint from the original Japanese version and make it into nothing at all, as seen at the end of Cerulean Blues.

It's so hard to find japanese pokemon episodes that aren't the banned ones, so I haven't seen the original Cerulean Blues. Can someone please tell me what happens at the end of the original of Cerulean Blues? Much appreciated :)

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
It's so hard to find japanese pokemon episodes that aren't the banned ones, so I haven't seen the original Cerulean Blues. Can someone please tell me what happens at the end of the original of Cerulean Blues? Much appreciated :)

It happened at the end of the episode, when Misty was pondering to herself after successfully becoming a Gym Leader. It's a minor change, but quite significant.

To quote Dogasu:

"And here's a rather surprising change:

Misty: (thinking to herself) "Ash...Brock...I know you can't hear me, but I did it! I'm a Gym Leader! And you were right. I was able to do it on my own!"

Originally, Kasumi only addressed Satoshi during this scene; in other words, 4Kids made this moment less shippy by adding Brock into the mix! If that doesn't convince you that this special wasn't dubbed by the same people who usually do the TV series, I don't know what will."

(Source: Dogasu)