• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PokeShipping (Ash x Misty) Discussion Thread

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
From The Ghost At Maidens Peak:
EP20380.jpg

EP20382.jpg

EP20383.jpg

I usually use this as evidence that Ash likes Misty, but it's not a silver bullet. Ash doesn't change his expression till Misty asks him to dance. That could mean he has a crush on Misty, or t could mean he just thinks dancing sounds fun. Ah well, it's still a cute scene.

Well, he immediately closes his Pokédex, his draw drops and we get to see Misty from his point of view so I think that’s proof enough! Also, it’s cute how he’s excited to dance with her. This is one of my all time fav pokeshipping (and also one of my all time fav episodes!) Glad to see this thread is still going!

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
Indeed. I'm being extra strict with what evidences I choose, because I like air-tight arguments.

I'd say closing Dexter could just be a normal part of Ash shifting his focus to the person who just walked up. We do get to see Misty from his view, & the animators used a special background, which helped her stand out, but they use the same background when Jigglypuff sings. It's more of a cute-moment back ground than a love-scene background. Ash looks kinda puzzled till Misty asked him to dance; that's where his mouth drops. If it had dropped right after that shot of her in the Kimono, I'd consider it a better scene.

Still seems obvious they love each other, since they're willing to risk their lives for each other in other scenes. That may not indicate romantic love, but it's still important.

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
Indeed. I'm being extra strict with what evidences I choose, because I like air-tight arguments.

I'd say closing Dexter could just be a normal part of Ash shifting his focus to the person who just walked up. We do get to see Misty from his view, & the animators used a special background, which helped her stand out, but they use the same background when Jigglypuff sings. It's more of a cute-moment back ground than a love-scene background. Ash looks kinda puzzled till Misty asked him to dance; that's where his mouth drops. If it had dropped right after that shot of her in the Kimono, I'd consider it a better scene.

Still seems obvious they love each other, since they're willing to risk their lives for each other in other scenes. That may not indicate romantic love, but it's still important.

No, his mouth had already dropped before that. He didn’t start smiling until she asked him to dance though, is that what you’re talking about?

pacman000

His mouth was open, but in a small "o" shape. That indicates some sort of reaction, but what sort? I'm going to try to break down the scene now, based on memory...

Someone walks up.
Ash reacts, with his mouth in a small "o" shape. That could mean surprise. But what sort? "Who's here?" or "My goodness Misty actually looks pretty."
There's a POV shot of Misty, dressed up.
Ash still looks surprised. He's had time to figure out "who's here," so perhaps he really is surprised Misty looks pretty when dressed up? That's what I usually thought the scene meant. And that would indicate that Ash potentially had a crush, in my opinion.

I'll probably need to rewatch this scene...again. (I'm being extra hard on this scene, since Shudo wrote the episode, & he said he never meant Ash & Misty to be a couple. And sorry for potentially over analyzing this stuff. At the very least it gives us something to talk about!)

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
His mouth was open, but in a small "o" shape. That indicates some sort of reaction, but what sort? I'm going to try to break down the scene now, based on memory...

Someone walks up.
Ash reacts, with his mouth in a small "o" shape. That could mean surprise. But what sort? "Who's here?" or "My goodness Misty actually looks pretty."
There's a POV shot of Misty, dressed up.
Ash still looks surprised. He's had time to figure out "who's here," so perhaps he really is surprised Misty looks pretty when dressed up? That's what I usually thought the scene meant. And that would indicate that Ash potentially had a crush, in my opinion.

I'll probably need to rewatch this scene...again. (I'm being extra hard on this scene, since Shudo wrote the episode, & he said he never meant Ash & Misty to be a couple. And sorry for potentially over analyzing this stuff. At the very least it gives us something to talk about!)

No don’t be sorry, it’s ok! It’s actually shown to be Misty from the start, so he knows it’s her and that’s when he immediately puts his Pokédex up and his mouth forms the O. Then we see Misty from his POV. Then she asks him to dance. It’s overall a really cute scene and I actually just posted it on Twitter the other day which is why I’m so familiar with it right now

As for Shudo, I have a hard time taking what he said seriously because I read his novelizations (very interesting read, especially with Delia!) and he implies romance between them even that far back, there’s two scenes that come to mind. One involving a nidoran? Anyway, he seemed to give mixed signals like the entire plot of the second movie. I just don’t take that one statement he made seriously because it contradicts the actual material he wrote

pacman000

Haven't had a chance to re-watch that episode again, but I did find this page from a Japanese fan-wiki: https://wiki.xn--rckteqa2e.com/wiki/サトカス

Seems to use Ash's reaction to Misty in ep20 to say that he likes her. Also has a few other shippy scenes listed.

(I don't know Japanese; I used Google translate read it. I tried to use Pappago from Naver too, but it mangled things too much.)

Last edited:

Mikeachu

Soul Trainer
Haven't had a chance to re-watch that episode again, but I did find this page from a Japanese fan-wiki: https://wiki.xn--rckteqa2e.com/wiki/サトカス

Seems to use Ash's reaction to Misty in ep20 to say that he likes her. Also has a few other shippy scenes listed.

(I don't know Japanese; I used Google translate read it. I tried to use Pappago from Naver too, but it mangled things too much.)
Nice to see the perspective of Japanese fans on Pokeshipping/Satokasu. There's this narrative online that all Pokeshipping hints were just 4Kids additions & not really a part of the anime. That viewers who watched it in the original language can say otherwise is very welcome.

pacman000

Nice to see the perspective of Japanese fans on Pokeshipping/Satokasu. There's this narrative online that all Pokeshipping hints were just 4Kids additions & not really a part of the anime. That viewers who watched it in the original language can say otherwise is very welcome.
Indeed. I wish I'd done research on this last year or the year before, singe Geocities.jp was still up, & there might've been contemporary fan reactions there.

As for Shudo's posts.... I dunno. If I combine this post with what he said about Misty, I'd bet he added the romantic-sounding stuff because he didn't know what else to write. Then tried to minimize it in editing because he thought a romantic sub-plot would be distracting. That would explain Maiden's Peak; he simply had nothing else to say, & no way to edit that scene to make it less romantic.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member

It's not referred to as a "hint", really (it's the ones about Kasumi listed further down that are):

"Since Satoshi wasn't as insensible to the idea of romantic relationships in the early days of OS as he is now, we find several scenes where he clearly recognizes Kasumi as a member of the opposite sex, such as
*being captivated by the sight of Kasumi in a yukata (episode 20)
*blushing when the Rocket Gang teases him about what manner of relationship he has with Kasumi (episode 83)
*getting grumpy when a boy that likes Kasumi shows up (episode 103)
The only other scene in the series that depicts him like this is when he looks at a photo of Seiyo (who appeared in episode 9) and remarks that she's really cute."

It's mostly just an acknowledgment that he was written a bit differently in regard to how he thinks about girls in the first 100 or so episodes, it's not about Kasumi specifically.

pacman000

That might be nice.

I'd like to see a mini-arc where Ash teamed up with some of his old traveling companions, including Misty. Think of the 1st series episodes where Tod/Snap briefly joined the team; something like that.

pacman000

Don’t know, but I just Googled it, & apparently it’s Pokeshipping Week.

Happy Pokeshipping Week Serebii members!

pacman000

Is this the 1st fan reference to a romantic relationship between Ash & Misty? http://members.tripod.com/Ash_Misty/main.htm

Says the site was started in July 1999. The keywords Ash & Misty Love do bring up a lot of old sites on anglefire; pokeshipping only brings up ~14 pages.

pacman000

I was wondering if character interactions varied between different writers. While going through summaries of episodes written by Hideki Sonoda, I found a potential hint in Beauty & the Beach: "As Pikachu swims around in a little inner tube, Misty shows up holding a Master Ball beach ball and says that she thought they were going to meet her at the snack bar. They stare at her for a moment, and Ash notes how odd it is to see Misty look like a girl. She gets mad, and throws the ball at his head, knocking him into the water."

References:
Lost Episode 1 - Beauty and the Beach (serebii.net)
Category:Episodes written by Hideki Sonoda - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia (bulbagarden.net)