• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PokeShipping (Ash x Misty) Discussion Thread

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
Ash And Misty Love; seems to have been the most common English-language name for this paring in the late 90's & early 2000's.

chalkus

I was wondering if character interactions varied between different writers. While going through summaries of episodes written by Hideki Sonoda, I found a potential hint in Beauty & the Beach: "As Pikachu swims around in a little inner tube, Misty shows up holding a Master Ball beach ball and says that she thought they were going to meet her at the snack bar. They stare at her for a moment, and Ash notes how odd it is to see Misty look like a girl. She gets mad, and throws the ball at his head, knocking him into the water."

References:
Lost Episode 1 - Beauty and the Beach (serebii.net)
Category:Episodes written by Hideki Sonoda - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia (bulbagarden.net)
Wow! Such dedication is admirable.

Personally, I do not get why Misty just doesn't swallow Ash whole with Gyrados and bring him back home. It is not like he is accomplishing anything worthwhile now, anyway.

pacman000

Anyone remember this?

For a long, long time fans have thought the woman in the beginning of the trailer was supposed to be an adult version of Misty; apparently the director said that fans guessed wrong.

"Honestly, that's a great question. Thank you so much. But that actually was not an adult version of Misty. It was an image of an adult with a child. But I think a lot of people have misinterpreted that. It really was not an adult version of Misty,”

There's a lot of interesting stuff in it tho; Ash & Co running on an island in a storm; TR on some sort of war machine. Honestly, this looks better than the final product. I'm not sure what to make of all that. Were those clips just created for the trailer, or were they supposed to be in the movie?

Also, apparently Mewtwo Strikes Back was the correct translation, not something 4Kids thought would sell well.

Source: https://comicbook.com/anime/news/pokemon-staffers-address-long-held-mystery-about-mistys-child/

Archived: https://web.archive.org/web/2021012...address-long-held-mystery-about-mistys-child/

Anyone remember this?

For a long, long time fans have thought the woman in the beginning of the trailer was supposed to be an adult version of Misty; apparently the director said that fans guessed wrong.

There's a lot of interesting stuff in it tho; Ash & Co running on an island in a storm; TR on some sort of war machine. Honestly, this looks better than the final product. I'm not sure what to make of all that. Were those clips just created for the trailer, or were they supposed to be in the movie?

Also, apparently Mewtwo Strikes Back was the correct translation, not something 4Kids thought would sell well.

Source: https://comicbook.com/anime/news/pokemon-staffers-address-long-held-mystery-about-mistys-child/

Archived: https://web.archive.org/web/2021012...address-long-held-mystery-about-mistys-child/
I was thinking that misty would easily win the aquatic tournament that will take place in the next episode ..after all, she won the Alto Mare Tour

pacman000

⊱✿RedAshEntropy

· MultiShipper ·
I believe that is from an actual episode, from Sun and Moon Series. (Where Misty and Brock made a cameo). Although there were few episodes during their cameos, I'm not exactly sure what episode that is from.

ps. I'm happy to see this thread is still alive. Ben awhile posting here (or was it already a year without posting here? XD)

pacman000

You know, Gollum from LotR was obsessed with the Ring, so much that he jumped into volcano to his death for it.
Probably just me, but that reminds me with Ash's strange possessiveness of fishing lure gift from Misty. The question is, why? Sadly we'll never know. PokeAni animators are probably forgot its existence.

And I also wonder if Ash still carry it (and also Misty's handkerchief) anywhere he goes...

Hmm, it reminds me with this writing from taillow-swift's tumblr:

I was watching Gotta Catch You Later (the raw) with my friend who studies Japanese. Before Ash, Misty, and Brock go their separate ways, Misty gives Ash her handkerchief while Brock gives Ash a bento box with his cutlery. My friend noticed two interesting things about this scene and explained what she found peculiar.
She first pointed how unusual it is for Misty to be gifting a handkerchief to Ash. In Japanese culture, handkerchiefs are extremely culturally important to daily life. People use them for day to day use, drying their hands after washing, wiping their faces, etc. It’s definitely not something one commonly gives away. Maybe to borrow, but the act of giving a handkerchief is very unusual because of these cultural necessities. Handkerchiefs are usually not given to someone else unless it’s done to temporarily help the person out like allowing them to wipe tears or sweat or helping them nurse an injury. And usually in those circumstances it’s expected that the person return the handkerchief. This explains why Serena in XY007 makes it a point to return the handkerchief Ash uses to patch her leg up because that’s simply what was culturally expected of her. Serena’s attraction to Ash was indicated by the fact that she steadfastly followed through after all these years, not by the fact that she wanted to return it. In contrast, Misty had given Ash her handkerchief unconditionally and sentimentally which takes on some interesting implications to say the least.
Not only is Misty giving Ash something extremely important to her, my friend also found it unusual that she uses it to wrap Brock’s bento box. Wrapping a bento box is seen as an act of tender love and care in Japanese culture. It’s simply not something a good friend does for another good friend. Rather, it’s something a mother or a wife would do respectively for their child or significant other. What’s interesting is that Brock is seen holding the bento box while Misty is wrapping it in her handkerchief. Brock doesn’t end up offering the wrapped bento box to Ash even though it’s already cradled in his hands. Misty ends up taking the box from Brock’s hands and gives it to Ash herself, the act now bearing the significance of what she had just done.
I feel like among all the good bye episodes among Pokemon’s cast members, Misty’s handkerchief and what was done with it definitely sets it apart from other episodes (among other things). It’s evident that there is a significant amount of emotional baggage Misty puts in her goodbye gift to Ash. I noticed people keep asking why Ash and Misty’s goodbye seems more emotional from the other cast members’ goodbyes. The rationalizations stem from logistical reasons (This is the first goodbye or this is the end to the Original Series) to ones of normative preference (Misty is considered to be more important or she’s the first girl to leave). But why not just consider the reasons in terms of what the narrative was demanding at the time?
I’m not arguing that Misty’s goodbye should be considered more important than the other characters’ goodbyes. I am definitely not arguing that Misty is a more important character in terms of authorial preference or how Ash personally weighs her significance. But I’m coming to an understanding that Misty’s goodbye episode should be interpreted in a different light. When you consider the unique background behind Ash and Misty’s relationship, when compared to the other characters, I’d argue this episode’s emotional impact accurately portrayed what needed to be reflected.
I’m not claiming to be an expert of Japanese culture. I’m just reflecting the thoughts of my friend while also extending it with the conclusions I subsequently came to. Feel free to correct any misconceptions and erroneous assumptions we may have put forward.

So yeah, no romantic impications

Morax

King of heroes

I was talking about the lure lol. As for the handkerchief it's a trope that has lost it's meaning. Misty's 'love' for him doesn't exist anymore so yeah, the implications are dead.

pacman000

I need to find out who wrote that episode...

I was talking about the lure lol. As for the handkerchief it's a trope that has lost it's meaning. Misty's 'love' for him doesn't exist anymore so yeah, the implications are dead.
So much has been retconned I’m more interested in the implications at the time than what it means today.

Morax

King of heroes
I need to find out who wrote that episode...

So much has been retconned I’m more interested in the implications at the time than what it means today.
Maybe it was supposed to be romantic like that person suggested.

I think this is what they're talking about

pacman000

I don't know what the dialog was in Japan, but Misty seems sad to leave Ash.

pacman000

From Takeshi Shudo's last blog post. Not directly about Pokémon, Ash, or Misty, but still interesting. He's talking about writing ,which leads him to talking about human relationships, then this:

However, when you are young, if your favorite person is of the opposite sex, you will argue or put your hand out before observing, but that is why you look at the other person and re-observe after the fact. You need to have calm eyes there as well. It may have been a mistake that I argued and made a move.

Is that translation right? Here's the original: http://www.style.fm/as/05_column/shudo226.shtml

D

Deleted member 384931

You know, Pokéshipping felt really good in the original series. But in her AG and SM appearances something changed in Mistys character what makes me feel lose interested in the ship. It still holds a special place in my heart tho.